Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Friday i think

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I'm in that boat. Let go in early Feb. Been trying to get work but no hope now. Yet people let go now are going to better off than me. Not very fair. That's life.

Its a crazy measure.

A higher calibre of job seeker it seems. I'd say someone will argue about the hole in this policy.

Cannot stress enough, the employer subsidy is a great idea, but this emergency payment seems really unjust for those recently unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I am more concerned will they freeze Bill's and mortgages, not the bank way of coming in and pleading your case, but a government intervention to freeze all mortgage payments. That is my biggest concern, I can survive on 200 a week with no bills

They should do this for laid off people, for sure. Then theres no need for the 70%. Child benefit could be increased if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

Is there anything in place for people on Disability allowance who lost their jobs ,i really depended om my 2 days pay.But it seems nothing at all paid in this intance

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

Necro wrote: »
    No.

Payments are running as normal for Jobseeker's this week.

Next week there will be a double payment when Jobseeker's move to fortnightly payments.

Certain payments are starting to move to fortnightly this week but Jobseeker's is not one of them.

Details on this have been confusing depending on what documents I've read, so just because I'm flustered with the information and to confirm with myself, there's definitely a payment tomorrow for previous Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance then next week another payment that then moves it to a double week ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is there anything in place for people on Disability allowance who lost their jobs ,i really depended om my 2 days pay.But it seems nothing at all paid in this intance

Regina Doherty will be interviewed on RTE Radio 1 shortly. She may clarify the measures announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 amc19

Gary kk wrote: »
    Friday i think

Why do you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 amc19

ShooterSF wrote: »
    No sign of getting this today so. Does anyone know will it be another week or are their other days it could get paid in. Not used to this stuff.

Let me know if you find out I’m in same boat waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

amc19 wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

Stated on news, payments Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

People getting existing social welfare payments such as Jobseekers allowance/Benefit , One Parent Family ,Carers payments and Disability Allowance and who have lost employment should not apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment.
    Instead, these people should contact the Department to tell them that they have lost employment and the Department will, if appropriate, increase their personal rate of payment to €350 .
    Community Employment (CE) participants will continue to get a CE payment – they should not apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment.
    The application form asks the applicant to declare “I declare that I am not being paid by my employer at the moment.” So it seems it should not be applied for if your hours have been reduced. (But this is not what the Dept have previously said in online communications)

Is this correct ,it says iF you are already on a reduced payment and loose your job it will be increased to 350 ?? Read on money guide.ie
    Can anyone cofirm this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    How many weeks does the CVID payment last for? Is it til April 21st (6 weeks after announcement) or 6 weeks from date when first applied for? (Say if I apply on April 6th one would get the payment for the subsequent 6 weeks)

It's not 6 weeks anymore its until they decide the pandemic emergency is over so possibly could be 12 weeks, 20 weeks etc. who knows. So if your place of work is closed until let's say July (creche worker etc. ) then you'll receive payment until then if emergency is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's not 6 weeks anymore its until they decide the pandemic emergency is over so possibly could be 12 weeks, 20 weeks etc. who knows. So if your place of work is closed until let's say July (creche worker etc. ) then you'll receive payment until then if emergency is ongoing.

As it stands you can keep your WFP while getting this payment, if it goes on over the 6 weeks will you still get the WFP and what if your claim finishes while out of work? Can you put in a new claim using your usual income?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I thought I heard that the emergency payment will be for a maximum of 12 weeks. I could be wrong about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I was put on 3 days week due to downturn in business because Covid19 so I will I be getting 2 days from 203 or 350?Very confusing.
    My work place is not esential by any means but they still keep us in the offices with public coming

I thought I heard that the emergency payment will be for a maximum of 12 weeks. I could be wrong about that though.

Hopefully by 12 weeks we’ll be back to work, it hasn’t been 2 weeks yet but it feels a lot longer already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

crazy paying €350 to people who were laid off. I understand the scheme where the employer remains linked to employee, that's some forward thinking, but paying others a higher rate for an indefinite period with no guaranteed job seems madness. As previous poster mentioned, receipients of JSB (linked to your PRSI contributions as opposed to JSA which is means tested and a handout in essence) still only receive €200, how is that just? Give it to none or give it to all. What happens if you were let go in February? You are in same spot as the now unemployed, economic impact is same.

people don't seem to understand difference between JSB and JSA. You cannot possibly be a good for nothing claiming JSB, it's linked to your tax contribution.

conversely, there can be so much fiddling with new payment. say I had 25 hrs per week, 350 may be more than I was earning in first place. The fact they are not even interviewing people face to face leaves this wide open for abuse.

simple solution, Blanket new rate for all new job seekers and JSB recipients with at least 3-6months stamps left.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    crazy paying €350 to people who were laid off. I understand the scheme where the employer remains linked to employee, that's some forward thinking, but paying others a higher rate for an indefinite period with no guaranteed job seems madness. As previous poster mentioned, receipients of JSB (linked to your PRSI contributions as opposed to JSA which is means tested and a handout in essence) still only receive €200, how is that just? Give it to none or give it to all. What happens if you were let go in February? You are in same spot as the now unemployed, economic impact is same.

people don't seem to understand difference between JSB and JSA. You cannot possibly be a good for nothing claiming JSB, it's linked to your tax contribution.

conversely, there can be so much fiddling with new payment. say I had 25 hrs per week, 350 may be more than I was earning in first place. The fact they are not even interviewing people face to face leaves this wide open for abuse.

simple solution, Blanket new rate for all new job seekers and JSB recipients with at least 3-6months stamps left.

That's not going to happen as the decision has already been made.

People are being paid 350 a week as a lot of them will have jobs to go back to when the emergency is over and continue to contribute to the recovery.

That's not going to happen as the decision has already been made.

People are being paid 350 a week as a lot of them will have jobs to go back to when the emergency is over and continue to contribute to the recovery.

Theres no link to their employer though. They have been laid off, they may or may not go back to work, they are unemployed.

The first strand payment covers those who maintain that link with employer yes and its a smart measure, but the emergency payment mentioned above is distinct in itself and not the same. The fact is there is a 2 tier welfare system is respect of this particular payment. Some permanently unemployed are on 350euro, some are on 200euro. Link to employer has been broken.

Blanco100 wrote: »

Exactly. Its not an argument to just give the dole for life crowd more. Its about being fair.

Vast difference in entitlement for someone let go in Feb as opposed to someone let go in March. Being let go for lack of business is just as financially impactful as being let go due to virus concerns. One is out of pocket as much as the other.

And again, there is no link to employer or guaranteed job at end either.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

hardybuck wrote: »
    I have an Indian friend on a working visa who has lost his job.

Chap says visa holders aren't entitled to any welfare from the state and is a bit worried about his general situation.

Is it true that those on visas can't get welfare if they lose their jobs?

They've extended this payment to language students who are allowed to work only 20 hours per week and even undocumented workers. He should be covered too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

This is truly insane. 350 a week! Wouldn't that be more than many retail workers on minimum wage were earning after tax? What about part time workers, weren't they certainly earning less that this. Have they just a got a payrise by going on the dole!!!

We just don't get it do we. Work is already disincentivised enough in this country. We have a massive cohort of job-shy (one of the highest percentage of non-working households in Europe). We don't need to breed another huge cohort to add to them. We're basically saying "Don't worry about working there love, won't the sugar daddy state take care of ya".

This country suffers badly from child like infant behaviour of looking for someone to mind ya. 203 week was more than enough if not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This is truly insane. 350 a week! Wouldn't that be more than many retail workers on minimum wage were earning after tax? What about part time workers, weren't they certainly earning less that this. Have they just a got a payrise by going on the dole!!!

We just don't get it do we. Work is already disincentivised enough in this country. We have a massive cohort of job-shy (one of the highest percentage of non-working households in Europe). We don't need to breed another huge cohort to add to them. We're basically saying "Don't worry about working there love, won't the sugar daddy state take care of ya".

This country suffers badly from child like infant behaviour of looking for someone to mind ya. 203 week was more than enough if not working!

Are you for real?! Disincentivize work?! These are people who were working and who, by virtue of a global pandemic, have had the business they work in no longer operate

Not one of these is ****ing ‘work shy’

By the very definition of them all having jobs 2 weeks ago

It’s a temporary payment in extraordinary times. Grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Dodge wrote: »

It’s a temporary payment in extraordinary times. Grow up

A temporary payment that's higher than what many were actually earning while working part time?

Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A temporary payment that's higher than what many were actually earning while working part time?

Only in Ireland.

It won’t be ‘many’. The vast majority of people involved are full time workers

And seeing as it’s only a temporary thing, people can’t get used to it

This is obviously a joke but I really don’t see the humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Did People end up getting the money in the banks yesterday or have to go post office for it, my wife went to post office but i presume because she already collects child benefit etc there that it was easier for them to do that and by next week it'll be in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

SW staff don’t even know what’s happening at this stage because the Gov keep moving the goalposts more or less every 8 hours or so. Anyone looking for accurate info here should be very wary and don’t budget or plan for any amount of money for any length of time.

splinter65 wrote: »
    SW staff don’t even know what’s happening at this stage because the Gov keep moving the goalposts more or less every 8 hours or so. Anyone looking for accurate info here should be very wary and don’t budget or plan for any amount of money for any length of time.

There are so many grey areas with this payment. seems like anyone, regardless of earnings amount who lost a job in last 2 weeks gets 350euro.

Anyone out of work 1-4 weeks prior (and with full PRSI contributions) can feck off effectively. Massively unjust.

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    There are so many grey areas with this payment. seems like anyone, regardless of earnings amount who lost a job in last 2 weeks gets 350euro.

Anyone out of work 1-4 weeks prior (and with full PRSI contributions) can feck off effectively. Massively unjust.

No anyone who was laid off in that period you describe is entitled to 203 a week job seekers benefit once they had worked 102 weeks previously and paid tax. How is that been told to feck off?

• Advertisement

No anyone who was laid off in that period you describe is entitled to 203 a week job seekers benefit once they had worked 102 weeks previously and paid tax. How is that been told to feck off?

big difference in rates.

Advertisement