Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 amc19

Did anyone receive a payment this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you've lost your job/temporary lay off or had your hours reduced to a certain extent.

Put on a three day week yesterday, was told by the company not entiltied to the covid payment and I need to apply for jobseeker's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

amc19 wrote: »

If you have absolutely no means with which to sustain your family then you need to make an appointment to see the local CWO at your local SW office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I still haven't recieved anything into bank but got an email asking me to collect payment from local Post Office which is bizarre.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I still haven't recieved anything into bank but got an email asking me to collect payment from local Post Office which is bizarre.

That’s the only thing I have heard of is emails about collecting in post office when did you get that email?

Stressed beyond belief as I’m sure everyone else is .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

BanditLuke wrote: »

Could be a problem with the bank details

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nicrob08

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Just been temporarily laid off today until 29th March at least. Will not be getting anything from employer, I’m in receipt of WFP, will I lose this and have to start a new claim when I return to work.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but just came across your post. I was told I can keep my WFP while getting the temp Jobseekers payment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Someone may know this, there are thousands of foreign people who now hold an Irish Citizenship. I know that if they claim any sort of SW from government that has affect when they apply for a visa etc for a non EU spouse.

I wonder if someone who has never claimed any sort of welfare from the state before but claims just the Covid 19 emergency payment will be affected?

I know a few guys who have been working here 10+ years paying full taxes and never claimed anything who are afraid to claim in time of need just incase it has an affect on approval of visa etc for their spouse in future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 499 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I got €203 today. Put in claim on 15th as was out of work from then.

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    I got €203 today. Put in claim on 15th as was out of work from then.

To your bank? DId you get any communication before payment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

splinter65 wrote: »
    Please don’t do that at the moment. The best thing to do is fill in the appropriate application form and post it in.

I haven't actually been laid off (yet), but from the conversation I had with my boss yesterday I got a sense that it may be coming down the line. I'm trying to be proactive here and plan/budget for ongoing expenses so was curious as to what may be available to me.

I did call the Dept. of Social Protection in the end. They were very helpful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 499 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

To your bank? DId you get any communication before payment ?

I got an email yesterday saying to collect it at the post office. I filled in the form online before the simplified form came out and there was an option for post office collection and bank transfer. For some reason it went to post office even though they have bank details as I was on injury benefit for 3 weeks and was due to return to work Last week before getting laid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

upinthesky wrote: »
    How do you know if you are going to receive the payment or not, i applied when the form first came out and posted it off but have heard nothing since, my partner is working so Im not sure if that affects it, but so far no confirmation.

Received email this morning that payment is in the post office, also gave bank details but not going into the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

What's the protocol with collecting social welfare payments from the post office while you're self-isolating? I filled in a form to get my JA paid into my bank account but haven't received confirmation that they've received it yet so will have to go today to collect my payment the normal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just back from collecting down the post office. Holy christ iv'e never seen queues like it. Letting 1 person in at a time into post office and straight up to window just held my ID up to window and they gave me the cash which went straight into a ziplock bag. Woman behind window told me social welfare have made a mess of a lot of payments that should have went straight into bank but i guess they are under incredible pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Dropped my form into the office lastTues (obviously Wed when they would have received it). Money in bank this morning yet to receive an e mail.

Dropped my form into the office lastTues (obviously Wed when they would have received it). Money in bank this morning yet to receive an e mail.

One of the lucky ones , thanks for the update ! What bank are you with out of interest? Im TSB and nothing (applied same day as you)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Daughter applied Monday 16th - money in her account this money.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

dan786 wrote: »
    Someone may know this, there are thousands of foreign people who now hold an Irish Citizenship. I know that if they claim any sort of SW from government that has affect when they apply for a visa etc for a non EU spouse.

I wonder if someone who has never claimed any sort of welfare from the state before but claims just the Covid 19 emergency payment will be affected?

I know a few guys who have been working here 10+ years paying full taxes and never claimed anything who are afraid to claim in time of need just incase it has an affect on approval of visa etc for their spouse in future.

I am sure they'll use common sense when it comes to that visa application and they'll look at the overall history of the person. They've even extended this emergency payment to foreign students and non-documented workers with no intention of penalising anybody or sharing information with DOJ.
    https://www.mrci.ie/2020/03/18/covid-19-emergency-payment/
    " The Irish Government has confirmed to MRCI that all people – documented or undocumented – can apply for and look for information from social welfare services free from fear during COVID19. These services will not share your information with the Department of Justice and Equality. It is safe to apply for payments and to look for information from these services."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

One of the lucky ones , thanks for the update ! What bank are you with out of interest? Im TSB and nothing (applied same day as you)
    AIB. I'd be surprised if you didn't get it today at some stage or tomorrow at the latest. They had most apps processed by the weekend apparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

I filled out the Pandemic for and got an email yesterday stating that it is to be collected at the Post office today despite the form asking for bank details. I am at high risk to Covid-19. No one is answering the phones as I imagine they are swamped. Anyone experienced similar?

Edit. See a lot of people in the same boat. Suppose should have predicted they'd cock it up one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

That’s the only thing I have heard of is emails about collecting in post office when did you get that email?

Stressed beyond belief as I’m sure everyone else is .

Got the same e mail yesterday. Thought it was strange because I m sure I put down bank details .It appears as paid on welfare ie site .
    Called the hotline .Agent explained that basically its a bit of a balls up <understandable enough given the volume >and will be rectified by next week .In the meantime many of us will be making our first and hopefully last trip to the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I have an Indian friend on a working visa who has lost his job.

Chap says visa holders aren't entitled to any welfare from the state and is a bit worried about his general situation.

Is it true that those on visas can't get welfare if they lose their jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭beautyqueen

I applied on monday 16th, no email or payment yet, I am with Tsb.

I'm lucky my job paid me for the first 2 weeks of march before we closed so not in desperate need at the moment, but am eager to know its sorted at the same time going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

It now seem that if you were laid off (permanently) for Covid 19 reasons, you will be entitled to €350 in unemployment payment.

My understanding is that this distinct from the circumstances where those laid off will be paid 70% of their wage (emergency wage subsidy) in order to maintain link with their employer.

It now seems that there are 2 levels of welfare recipients. Say you lost your job (through no fault of your own, not corona related) in January, you still only receive €203. Whereas, someone let go a month later due to corona receives nearly €150 more.

I have no issue with the emergency wage subsidy, where there is a link maintained with employer, but how can they justify the first payment?

I believe the elderly, carers and disabled people should get something extra in these hard times also.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I believe the elderly, carers and disabled people should get something extra in these hard times also.

I don't see the justification for the higher rate if you have been permanently let go to be honest.

Absolutely, a top up is fair once link with employer is still maintained. Also very unfair on those who found themselves out of a job earlier in the year and have to get by on the lesser rate than the newly unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    It now seem that if you were laid off (permanently) for Covid 19 reasons, you will be entitled to €350 in unemployment payment.

My understanding is that this distinct from the circumstances where those laid off will be paid 70% of their wage (emergency wage subsidy) in order to maintain link with their employer.

It now seems that there are 2 levels of welfare recipients. Say you lost your job (through no fault of your own, not corona related) in January, you still only receive €203. Whereas, someone let go a month later due to corona receives nearly €150 more.

I have no issue with the emergency wage subsidy, where there is a link maintained with employer, but how can they justify the first payment?
    I'm in that boat. Let go in early Feb. Been trying to get work but no hope now. Yet people let go now are going to better off than me. Not very fair. That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Cliona2012

How many weeks does the CVID payment last for? Is it til April 21st (6 weeks after announcement) or 6 weeks from date when first applied for? (Say if I apply on April 6th one would get the payment for the subsequent 6 weeks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

No sign of getting this today so. Does anyone know will it be another week or are their other days it could get paid in. Not used to this stuff.

Advertisement