Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Mogfather wrote: »
    Not that it helps everyone but here are the branches of BOI that will remain open :

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/branch-opening-during-covid-19/

I'm just having flashbacks of the day I walked into my local KBC branch to lodge cash into my current account. When I tried to hand in cash the person behind the counter stood back and put their hands up in the air..... you'd swear I was trying to hold the place up!

"oh no, we don't accept cash here"...... when I asked how do I get the cash into my current account their solution was to lodge it into an account with another bank or credit union and then do an EFT to the KBC account... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mogfather

tempnam wrote: »
    I'm just having flashbacks of the day I walked into my local KBC branch to lodge cash into my current account. When I tried to hand in cash the person behind the counter stood back and put their hands up in the air..... you'd swear I was trying to hold the place up!

"oh no, we don't accept cash here"...... when I asked how do I get the cash into my current account their solution was to lodge it into an account with another bank or credit union and then do an EFT to the KBC account... :rolleyes:

Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous! I wonder what that's about? 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 16 amc19

Dodge wrote: »
    They’re prioritising getting people paid over communicating. The form says check your account as you may receive it before they communicate

Again, we’re talking about roughly 100,000 applications in a week for a scheme that wasn’t even designed 10 days ago

It’s a lot of work. Just be patient

I can completely appreciate that hence why don’t want to ring taking up there time, just not easy with a partner and babies at home , 3 jobs gone in space of 48 hours in the household last weekend,

So if I'm gathering this correctly.... Those who haven't received their emergency payment yet through the bank will receive it tomorrow via Post Office? Does it matter what Post Office?

So if I'm gathering this correctly.... Those who haven't received their emergency payment yet through the bank will receive it tomorrow via Post Office? Does it matter what Post Office?

No it’s through your bank and the first 60,000 payments supposed to be tomorrow check newstalk website that’s where the article is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

People who applied for the COVID-19 unemployment payment last week will get their first payment tomorrow.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-19-unemployment-payment-2-987279

So it's 203€ every 2 weeks?

So it's 203€ every 2 weeks?

No it’s €203 weekly since they mentioned that it’s every two weeks it would seem like a double payment tomorrow which would be €406

amc19 wrote: »
    No it’s €203 weekly since they mentioned that it’s every two weeks it would seem like a double payment tomorrow which would be €406

I was hoping for that answer. Thank you and thanks to everyone else for your help!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No, it will be a single payment, they are moving to fortnightly payments for Jobseekers Payments from next week.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    No, it will be a single payment, they are moving to fortnightly payments for Jobseekers Payments from next week.

The wording of the article would suggest in relation to the EMERGENCY COVID payment...

There is a payment tomorrow

Then one again two weeks from tomorrow

Which would suggest tomorrow’s will be 2 weeks worth ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The wording of the article would suggest in relation to the EMERGENCY COVID payment...

If you don’t get a payment and have absolutely no income then you can make an application to your local CWO for an SWA. The CWO will be found at your local SW office.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No.

Payments are running as normal for Jobseeker's this week.

Next week there will be a double payment when Jobseeker's move to fortnightly payments.

Certain payments are starting to move to fortnightly this week but Jobseeker's is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

How do you know if you are going to receive the payment or not, i applied when the form first came out and posted it off but have heard nothing since, my partner is working so Im not sure if that affects it, but so far no confirmation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Could anyone tell me if you are not laid off but have compulsory unpaid leave of absence for several weeks do you qualify for social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stheno wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me if you are not laid off but have compulsory unpaid leave of absence for several weeks do you qualify for social welfare?

I believe so as it's slightly broader due to circumstances.

If you're still employed but hours are cut or cut completely you may qualify for special payment.

They have asked the companies to do this and in return they will get the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Colleague of mine told the boss he wont be returning to work tomorrow for fears of being contaminated ,he is 62 and on blood pressure tablets, now work as not closed rest of staff continuing to work as normal (non essential), can he claim the €203?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Colleague of mine told the boss he wont be returning to work tomorrow for fears of being contaminated ,he is 62 and on blood pressure tablets, now work as not closed rest of staff continuing to work as normal (non essential), can he claim the €203?

He is self isolating but isn't ill....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

He is self isolating but isn't ill....
    So no then?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So no then?

Only way is if he gets doctor to sign him off or the job cut his hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Got laid off last week and sent off the form last Thursday. Got an email today telling me to collect my pandemic payment in the post office tomorrow. Can't understand this as i put my bank details on the form for im guessing payment straight into the bank??

Seems crazy sending people to the Post office when we meant to be social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Hi just wondering if anyone could advise whether I’d qualify for the emergency payment.

I’m a student working part time in retail as a rep. The stores I work in have closed so I no longer have any shifts to work, but I’m employed directly by the company that makes the product. They haven’t let staff go or anything but won’t be paying us either. They are trying to figure out a way for us to do some work from home so that we can continue to be paid but it’s unlikely as our jobs are not office based and very much about selling in stores.

I’m kind of in limbo at the moment because yes I’m still employed but I have no shifts to work so therefore I’m not being paid for anything. From the payment form it seems the payment is just for people who have ceased employment so That doesn’t technically apply to me. Also being a student I wouldn’t usually qualify for social welfare payments. Any advice? Thanks!
    Yes, students are entitled to the payment.

Just be honest and tell them there's no work for you. Your employer will probably need to provide a letter to support this.

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes, it's a temporary lay off. There's no guarantee of work, but no guarantee there won't be in the future either.

dan786 wrote: »
    Quick q on behalf of someone I know. They are employed with a company for almost 5 years but started on a 10 hour contract. However they have been rostered and worked between 30-40 hours every week since. Due to current situation they have had their hours cut back to 10 so basically one day of work.

Can they apply for the short term payment even if their original contract is part time 10 hours ?
    He can apply for the emergency payment, long term he can apply for payment for the days he doesn't work. So he'll get 4 days SW instead of 5 - if he's entitled to it.

If hours were reduced because of covid then you can apply for that, if not then apply for jsa as you're effectively working part time.

gary550 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could advise what the situation would be for a proprietary director and the covid-up payment?

In the last month I have stopped self employment and started trading through a limited company, I haven't even took a wage yet and its looking like the next few months will be tough & unlikely I will be able to pay myself.

Do you have to have a certain amount of PRSI contributions etc? Will I be treated as an employee rather than self employed?
    Yes, you can apply, no stamps needed for emergency payment but JSA will be means tested

Laserb wrote: »
    Hi for those of you that have childminders who mind in their home, will you be paying any fees during the lock down? Presumably childminder's can avail of the emergency social welfare payment..
    They can only avail of it if they're already registered as self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Cliona2012

So for the emergency covid 19 payment you get that for the 6 weeks regardless of eligibility for jobseekers benefit or allowance?

• Advertisement

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    So for the emergency covid 19 payment you get that for the 6 weeks regardless of eligibility for jobseekers benefit or allowance?
    Yes, as long as you've lost your job/temporary lay off or had your hours reduced to a certain extent.

Advertisement