Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭madmax72

I went to the social welfare office last Monday after the pub I worked in closed down(hoping to open back up after this).The woman that worked there gave me jobseekers benefit form to fill out.I have not heard anything since.My question is should she have given me the covid form instead and does it matter that I filled out the jobseekers benefit form

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mogfather

Hi.
    It's probably no one's business but has anyone received any welfare payments yet? I applied online for Jobseeker's Allowance and sent away the yellow form for the Covid-19 Emergency Payment.
    I understand that patience is key at this moment in time but I know after this weekend my struggles will commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I did, it only took about 4 days. I didnt even properly apply for it, I needed to get a letter from my boss, I was told I wouldnt get s/w until I brought in the letter. Got payment from social welfare and letter to say it was awarded before I got a chance to bring them in letter from my boss.
    Give them a ring, they may just have a backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimiseve

I am 66 and do some part-time work to bolster my state pension. I ahve lost all this work now. Am I correct in saying that I cannot apply for the COVID Emergency payment. Seems a bit unfair for the older workforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eildar

madmax72 wrote: »
    I went to the social welfare office last Monday after the pub I worked in closed down(hoping to open back up after this).The woman that worked there gave me jobseekers benefit form to fill out.I have not heard anything since.My question is should she have given me the covid form instead and does it matter that I filled out the jobseekers benefit form

We filled in the COVID19 form. But we spoke to a lady who told us to fill in the jobseekers form aswell and by the time the 6 weeks emergency payments finish the other form will be in the process of being looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

jimiseve wrote: »
    I am 66 and do some part-time work to bolster my state pension. I ahve lost all this work now. Am I correct in saying that I cannot apply for the COVID Emergency payment. Seems a bit unfair for the older workforce.

If you already have a state pension then you can’t get the emergency payment. The state has very limited resources in this emergency so the money has to be used fairly. The emergency payment is for workers being laid off with no income at all to buy food and fuel etc. 58000 have applied. That’s a possible cost of €71000000 over only 6 weeks.
    If you are on a reduced pension of less than €237 per week because you were working then you can ask for your pension to be increased to that amount. You will then have €34 more then the people only getting €203 most of whom have got rent/mortgage to pay.
    If you are struggling to buy food and fuel on your pension then there are many charities that can help you.

jimiseve wrote: »

You can’t apply for jobseekers benefit/allowance as it is and this payment is merely an emergency jobseekers payment.

For the rest who have applied for the emergency payment get your jobseekers application in ASAP too.

Fingers crossed your work will come back but don’t wait to find out. If you get work, just let them know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I have applied for the Job Seeker's Allowance and sent away the Emergency Payment forms on Tuesday before they became available online. Should I apply again online for the emergency payment or should my original form suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 amc19

Good morning all,

Firstly what a terrible situation many people find themselves in, stay safe!

Just in relation to payment I am self employed and applied last Wednesday for the emergency payment as have been out of work now for 2 weeks, I know its a waiting game but with being my families sole provider of income i'm panicking as i'm not sure will i get the payment.

Has anyone applied since last Wednesday and heard anything back?

Can see little to no official information online with regards FAQ's on the matter although i presume they have better things to do.

Thank all in advance for any help as we all are the panicing has set in as to how food can go on the table...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

amc19 wrote: »
    Good morning all,

Firstly what a terrible situation many people find themselves in, stay safe!

Just in relation to payment I am self employed and applied last Wednesday for the emergency payment as have been out of work now for 2 weeks, I know its a waiting game but with being my families sole provider of income i'm panicking as i'm not sure will i get the payment.

Has anyone applied since last Wednesday and heard anything back?

Can see little to no official information online with regards FAQ's on the matter although i presume they have better things to do.

Thank all in advance for any help as we all are the panicing has set in as to how food can go on the table...
    Apparantly the payments start going out today but it will be the end of the week before they're all rolled out due to the high volume of applications.

Apparantly the payments start going out today but it will be the end of the week before they're all rolled out due to the high volume of applications.

Where can people get information on this? have searched all the internet cant find anything in relation to updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Where can people get information on this? have searched all the internet cant find anything in relation to updates?
    That was the quote from the minister last week. I'm on the phone can't post links it was on the RTE website the other day.

Maybe whoever does get the payment can let us know in here and when they applied for it, hopefully soon really stressing now!

Maybe whoever does get the payment can let us know in here and when they applied for it, hopefully soon really stressing now!

Please don’t stress. By last Thursday the department said there were 60,000 applications. You can add thousands more since (maybe the same number). I know someone in the department who worked Saturday and Sunday inputting forms into their system. You’ll get paid this week but just have a little patience while the numbers are dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 35 943

My coworker put her form in last Monday and she got paid today. I put mine in Weds and have heard nothing either, so don't panic. It will come.

Our dedicated #COVID19 Income Support Helpline is open 9am-5pm: 01-2481398 / 1890-800-024

Please do not visit your Intreo Centre if at all possible - Signing on has been suspended

All of our updates, contacts, links & info are at Gov.ie/deaspcovid19

#COVID19ireland

Please don’t ring this helpline repeatedly demanding information about your payment. SW staff have worked all weekend trying to process the claims and the less phone calls people have to answer the quicker the turnaround will be. Hopefully everyone will get something this week. In the meantime complete a JSB application form and send that in in case your not back up and running in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I have no idea where to start...

We are a family of 5 (2 parents & 3 children). I work full-time and my wife is a stay-at-home mother.

We have never claimed any state benefits and as I understand it we were never entitled to anything due to me being above any salary thresholds. All we do get is the monthly children's allowance payment. - Which is fine by the way, no issue with this...

But, it looks like I may be laid off next month if this pandemic continues to affect the economy.

Is there anywhere I can calculate what payments we/I may be entitled to in the event that I am laid off?

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

tempnam wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are a family of 5 (2 parents & 3 children). I work full-time and my wife is a stay-at-home mother.

We have never claimed any state benefits and as I understand it we were never entitled to anything due to me being above any salary thresholds. All we do get is the monthly children's allowance payment. - Which is fine by the way, no issue with this...

But, it looks like I may be laid off next month if this pandemic continues to affect the economy.

Is there anywhere I can calculate what payments we/I may be entitled to in the event that I am laid off?

Thanks for reading.

Contact your social welfare

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Thanks for reading.

If your wife has no income and she has savings/assets (not the family home) in her name of less then €20000 then you will get:
    €203 (for yourself)
    €134.70 (for her)
    €36 for each child under 12
    €40 for each child over 12.

Contact your social welfare

Please don’t do that at the moment. The best thing to do is fill in the appropriate application form and post it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Thought the CovID 19 emergency payment was through the bank? My dad filled it out with his bank details and then applied online for the jobseekers. He just got word back that he has to collect the 203 in the post office tomorrow. Is this the norm

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Thought the CovID 19 emergency payment was through the bank? My dad filled it out with his bank details and then applied online for the jobseekers. He just got word back that he has to collect the 203 in the post office tomorrow. Is this the norm

Maybe he incorrectly filled in bank details and they sent to post office instead?

How did he get the communication?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Maybe he incorrectly filled in bank details and they sent to post office instead?

How did he get the communication?

Email today. I filled out the forms for him. He's out of work since the pub closures

Email today. I filled out the forms for him. He's out of work since the pub closures

It’s normal for jobseekers to be paid at a post office. They are changing it so that temporarily it can be paid to bank accounts. It looks like they skipped the emergency payment and put him straight on jobseekers.

There’s now a form where you can change how jobseekers is paid. Get that filled out and send it in

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Hope not. How are you supposed to lodge cash... BOI are shutting a lot of branches, KBC bank don't accept cash in their branches... If you have DD's from your account but cant get the cash into your account - how do you get around that one?

Hope not. How are you supposed to lodge cash... BOI are shutting a lot of branches, KBC bank don't accept cash in their branches... If you have DD's from your account but cant get the cash into your account - how do you get around that one?

Not that it helps everyone but here are the branches of BOI that will remain open :

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/branch-opening-during-covid-19/

splinter65 wrote: »
    Our dedicated #COVID19 Income Support Helpline is open 9am-5pm: 01-2481398 / 1890-800-024

Please do not visit your Intreo Centre if at all possible - Signing on has been suspended

All of our updates, contacts, links & info are at Gov.ie/deaspcovid19

#COVID19ireland

Please don’t ring this helpline repeatedly demanding information about your payment. SW staff have worked all weekend trying to process the claims and the less phone calls people have to answer the quicker the turnaround will be. Hopefully everyone will get something this week. In the meantime complete a JSB application form and send that in in case your not back up and running in 6 weeks.

I would rather not ring as I know there busy and I see today from the news that the payments are tomorrow I’m just concerned as have not received any communication? Email is correct on form etc

• Advertisement

I would rather not ring as I know there busy and I see today from the news that the payments are tomorrow I’m just concerned as have not received any communication? Email is correct on form etc

They’re prioritising getting people paid over communicating. The form says check your account as you may receive it before they communicate

Again, we’re talking about roughly 100,000 applications in a week for a scheme that wasn’t even designed 10 days ago

It’s a lot of work. Just be patient

Advertisement