Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

Hi All,

Even with a “poor” first round score of 104, I just got a message on the next phase (self video part).

I’m preparing for this now yet wondered (if successful) what/how many other stages there are?

Thanks

online video -then e-tray then final interview over zoom.

I'm in the same position. Wasn't expecting to hear anymore about this panel so taken by surprise to receive publicjobs email this morning!

I think after this there is a live video interview. Open to correction from those who've already gone through this.

you do e-tray next then final interview

• Registered Users Posts: 14 extendormove

Mbwb wrote: »
    you do e-tray next then final interview

Is e-tray the name for this pre-recorded interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariagirl

Does anyone know what score they have reached now?

Is e-tray the name for this pre-recorded interview?

No, online video is stage 2. You need to get a score of 41 for each of the three competencies, if you get less than 41 for Q2, you won't pass this stage.

If you pass stage 2, you move on to stage 3 which is the e-tray. For the etray you will be presented with some background information and instructions before starting the exercise which you should make sure you read carefully. This information will be available throughout the exercise, so you will be able to refer back to it if you need to. Once you start the exercise you will have 90 minutes to complete it. You should complete the exercise in one sitting as there is no option to ‘log out’. You need to get a score of 3 in each competency for the etray. then Stage 4 is the interview. Good Luck!

edited: just to add, it's not a pre-recorded video, so you don't record it and then upload it, you will be doing it live. PAS will send you a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

To the people who passed,for question 2 (the question you had to pass) did you give an overview of all your management experience or did you give a very brief overview and provide an example with the STAR technique?

I gave 3 opening paragraphs describing my management history and current units/ teams, and then a specific challenging management STAR. I focused on operations as my leadership was a PM role.
    I didn't mention budgets as I completely forgot! Got 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

To the people who passed,for question 2 (the question you had to pass) did you give an overview of all your management experience or did you give a very brief overview and provide an example with the STAR technique?

I have a brief overview of team size, experience in all aspects of recruitment and performance management etc.
    Then spoke about productivity and an overview of how I improved this and supported my team.
    Then finished up with my experience in budget management and presenting to the board on such.

Scored 56.

I gave 3 opening paragraphs describing my management history and current units/ teams, and then a specific challenging management STAR. I focused on operations as my leadership was a PM role.
    I didn't mention budgets as I completely forgot! Got 65.

Also to add that my answers were all between 2,30 and 2 40 min. I didn't race through them. They were well paced (I was surprised how well paced when I reviewed them). I sounded clear and confident. I didn't stubble bar once and laughed about it as I would IRL. I read a script but also looked back and forth to audience as I would on a WebEx presentation. I treated it like a real presentation and introduced myself,, said good morning and thanked them for their attention. I don't know if any of this made a difference and obviously none of it will help me get through the etray:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Would a member of your staff be considered a stakeholder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Tomjim wrote: »

Depending on context... maybe?

If there's a project to change work practices, introduce a new internal system or methods, stuff like that - then yes. But it's generally taken to mean service users - e.g., if the Dept of Education were running a consultation for stakeholders about a scheme, you'd expect them to be talking to students, educators, and/or parents, not their own staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

Thanks everyone for sharing some very useful information on the whole Open AP competition process.

One additional question I have is as follows:

- If someone makes it through the whole arduous process and is then to be appointed to the CS, How are they allocated to a Dept? (For example in Dublin, with many different government depts present...less an issue with more rural choices).

Do they try hard to match the education & skills of the panel to Depts? or is it just a random/sequencing process depending on place on a panel?

I heard of one person who was successful (already in the CS) and he will stay in the same Dept now as a AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Thanks everyone for sharing some very useful information on the whole Open AP competition process.

One additional question I have is as follows:

- If someone makes it through the whole arduous process and is then to be appointed to the CS, How are they allocated to a Dept? (For example in Dublin, with many different government depts present...less an issue with more rural choices).

Do they try hard to match the education & skills of the panel to Depts? or is it just a random/sequencing process depending on place on a panel?

I heard of one person who was successful (already in the CS) and he will stay in the same Dept now as a AP.

Next person on panel gets next job, that's it. Afaik there's no skills match

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    Next person on panel gets next job, that's it. Afaik there's no skills match

Absolutely no skills match, which is very wasteful but that's the CS for you.

Your friend was very lucky to remain in his Dept if he got promoted through the Open Comp. Are you sure it wasn't internal? Departments can't request individuals off the panel either. It happens a lot that someone might be on a panel, the Dept wants to keep them but they're told "no you gave to take whoever is next on the list."

It wasn’t an internal competition (its this one here).

He did quite well and was one of the early batches chosen...and was in DFA at the time.

If you get offered a dept and refuse, do you get pushed to the bottom of the list? Or is it take it or leave it?

lucat wrote: »

Your friend was very lucky to remain in his Dept if he got promoted through the Open Comp. Are you sure it wasn't internal? Departments can't request individuals off the panel either. It happens a lot that someone might be on a panel, the Dept wants to keep them but they're told "no you gave to take whoever is next on the list."

It happens alot that people get to stay in their own Dept through open/interD comps. But only if there are vacancies for the role. Your Dept would have to put in a request to Pas though they want to keep you & then there is a higher chance of you staying in your Dept, if that is your preference. Other than that you take what you are given. Depts put in request to Pas how many AP vacancies they have & PAS takes off the panel accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It happens a lot that someone might be on a panel, the Dept wants to keep them but they're told "no you gave to take whoever is next on the list, wink wink" and if "their" person is wanted and isn't too far down the panel, they'll defer appointment until their person is next.

Or at least, so I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

100%, I always like to clearly distinguish in an interview by referring to both 'internal' and 'external' stakeholders

What would be wrong with asking about preferences and considering this (along with vacancies of course)...as employing someone with a phd in atmospheric physics in social welfare (rather than ENV) would seem pretty crazy...ok this is an exaggerated example yet you get the idea.
    It happens a lot that someone might be on a panel, the Dept wants to keep them but they're told "no you gave to take whoever is next on the list, wink wink" and if "their" person is wanted and isn't too far down the panel, they'll defer appointment until their person is next.

Or at least, so I've heard.

What would be wrong with asking about preferences and considering this (along with vacancies of course)...as employing someone with a phd in atmospheric physics in social welfare (rather than ENV) would seem pretty crazy...ok this is an exaggerated example yet you get the idea.

They don't want to be accused of favouritism or nepotism (even though nepotism still happens). Pretty terrible reason, but that's the reason.

In fairness, after a few years someone could move to their target dept through CS mobility!
    They don't want to be accused of favouritism or nepotism (even though nepotism still happens). Pretty terrible reason, but that's the reason.

• Advertisement

If someone gets an offer and turns it down, what happens then?

If someone gets an offer and turns it down, what happens then?

You're out of the game.

In fairness, after a few years someone could move to their target dept through CS mobility!

How do you know? The Department may never get a vacancy at the necessary grade and head to head transfers no longer happen. Also, because of this rule the CS have to spend a huge amount on training when they could get someone who already has the experience or retain the person who's already been doing the job. It seems wasteful to me.

I get emails on CS mobility all the time (lots for AP posts)

quote="lucat;116918531"]How do you know? The Department may never get a vacancy at the necessary grade and head to head transfers no longer happen. Also, because of this rule the CS have to spend a huge amount on training when they could get someone who already has the experience or retain the person who's already been doing the job. It seems wasteful to me.[/quote]

I get emails on CS mobility all the time (lots for AP posts)

quote="lucat;116918531"]How do you know? The Department may never get a vacancy at the necessary grade and head to head transfers no longer happen. Also, because of this rule the CS have to spend a huge amount on training when they could get someone who already has the experience or retain the person who's already been doing the job. It seems wasteful to me.
    [/QUOTE]

So do I. It doesn't mean there will be availability in one particular Department if you're going into the CS hoping for that.

I think there is some skill/education matching to be fair insofar as possible. For example, if PAS have requests for 5 jobs they will look at the next 5 on the panel and try to match as best as possible.
    Also, I know my department takes most of its own that are on InterD and Open of they request to stay. Would imagine different Depts have slightly different practices.

I’m already in the civil service.

So do I. It doesn't mean there will be availability in one particular Department if you're going into the CS hoping for that.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

For the online video presentation, could you include an example from your personal life ie chair of a club

For the online video presentation, could you include an example from your personal life ie chair of a club

Absolutely if you think it ticks the boxes on the competency

• Advertisement

From discussions with HR people, I think they like to see relatively recent competencies (ideally within the last 5yrs).

Outside experience should be fine (treasurer or chairman of a sports club involved lots of skills)
    Absolutely if you think it ticks the boxes on the competency

Advertisement