Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They'll never turn off the coax it would cost them a fortune to string fibre to every house with coax doing exactly the same job already.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

i recently got the 360 box and i have to say its the best box they ever had. I mostly record RTE and BBC as the rest are on reply. If i were you i would return the streaming box and demand a 360 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 b_cuda

We switched from 360 box to streaming box last week without realising what we were losing, we just wanted to upgrade the broadband to 500mb and take advantage of the black Friday offers (bundle bb with tv for a better price over 12 months). Got the new modem and streaming box only to discover that we can't record from certain channels including BBC anymore - we would have used this a lot for live sports etc. Phoned and asked to be switched back and were told it was not possible, seems like they are phasing out the 360 box or at least not offering it anymore, if you have one you may hold on to it. So we have to cancel and switch to Sky Q with satellite tv. Raging as we asked about recordings when we were "upgrading" and told we would be able to record exactly as before. It's not clear anywhere on their website that the new box doesn't have this pvr function, very misleading for existing customers. Better deal with Sky anyway in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

No change to above

On the 22nd Nov: 154, 159, 160 and 161 changed logos from

CBS Reality > True Crime

RealityXtra > True Crime Xtra

Legend (new logo)

HorrorXtra > Legend Xtra

The names never changed though

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

You’ve confirmed my worst fears about the new Virgin Media streaming box. A month ago they sent me an email offering to move me from my current package to their new TV package with a €10 discount. I refused it as I feared it would mean giving up my 360 box for the streaming box. I’m glad I did refuse it now. I can’t get a satellite dish in my apartment block. If they ever force customers to give up their 360 boxes I’ll be switching to Sky Stream. If I have to go down the streaming non-recording route I might as well have a service with a far superior interface.

• Advertisement

I notice an Apple TV+ app has been added to the Apps section on the Virgin Media TV boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kitsy13

Still no Disney + 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bosco26

The VM streaming box is brutal. Is there anyway to get the 360 box back??? We got an 'upgrade' to 500mb. Internet seems slightly faster during the day but changing channels on the streaming box takes an age at any time. Still within the 2 week free cancellation period. Does anybody have recommendations? Renting so not sure about a dish. Missing out on recordings big time. North Kildare region.

Thanks

Terrible stuff, I see sky pushing their streaming service too😡, maybe VM miss the horizon box😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The streaming boxes are way cheaper to make and require less support. It also seems Virgin (or at least their sales reps) are keen on flipping as many people over to fibre as possible. The existing coax will support 500mb broadband no problem though.

A friend of mine got 1Gb fibre installed from Virgin. It was a disaster. Engineer missed first two appointments, then struggled to find the fibre on the street. The broadband (not the WiFi) was highly unstable with frequent drops. He cancelled it within cooling off period.

The router from Virgin for a fibre install is quite large also. It may not be possible to install it at your existing router point due to need for the new cable coming into your home.

This may cause an issue if your streaming box is quite far away from where the router is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

Was considering switching from Sky to Virgin media for BB and tv but seeing comments here about the new streaming box and effort involved in connecting to fibre is making me reconsider. Virgin have a great deal for new customers (50 vs the 80 quoted by Sky ) so was hellbent on switching. Saving 350 a year isn't worth it if will be dealing with frustration every night trying to change channels!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Same experience here. I could not even contact them to cancel (1 hour wait time and when I got through they told me I "did not exist on the system" so sent them an email and canceled the direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

In a few years that's exactly what will happen - turning off the coax - network will then be full fibre.

They've only rewired the whole of Enniscorthy with co-ax, I'm sure that wasn't cheap, to go and rewire a perfectly good system with fibre doesn't make any sense to me🥴, sure who knows the logic of these big companies.

Looks like the E! channel is finishing up on new years eve

The Kardashians was the only thing on that channel that I ever heard of they're gone to Disney+ or one of those subscription services, Joan Rivers was a bit of fun there too back in the day.

Yeah it was a good channel, I started watching the Kardashians during covid and prefer the earlier seasons, I have Disney plus and haven't watched the new ones yet..there hasn't been anything new on e! in a long time..they dropped the nightly gossip show ages ago and were just showing older stuff..they probably were contracted to provide tv content up till the end of this year and that's it at midnight new years eve 🥲

It used to be a better channel. I used to watch E News on it sometimes and it was great for awards red carpet shows. They stopped doing all that though in the last few years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s closing on all platforms, not specifically a VM thing. Content’s moving to Hayu.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

RE: the streaming box, how much of a delay can one expect on live sport vs coax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the TV360 box and I recently noticed that some of my newer recordings have an expiration date which IIRC is in about next February. This has not been backdated so none of my old recordings have been given an expiration date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

In the settings you should be able to change from 'delete after 2 months' to 'delete when I delete them' or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's nothing to do with my settings. I did say that 'some of my newer recordings have an expiration date'

And I have lots of recordings that are much older than 2 months. The expiration date on new recordings is selective, it doesn't apply to everything I've recorded recently. I would guess that, on a program by program basis, it's dictated by the program owner and applied by VM, starting in late December. And it's not at the station level, I have a mix of BBC programs, some with expiration dates others with none.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I noticed if I set recording from the app it had expiration date. I could amend it via main box.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Thinking of changing from Sky to Virgin shortly...

Have a couple of questions.

One TV, can RTE be recorded? Its about the only channel that is watched TV wise, the rest is non TV stuff like Netflix and Disney.

On the fibre side, we currently have Sky through SIRO. Virgin said they would be using SIRO also, so is it just a case of swapping out the router and going from there? No need for engineers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

Hey all,

Anyone any experience of the Virgin TV box constantly topping the recording of every TV program 10 mins early every time?

It's beyond infuriating. And shock horror, impossible to speak to a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not come across that.

I assume you have tried adding an extra say 30 minutes to the end of recordings?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

I added 15 minsbut doesn't seem to have worked. Managed to get hold of them on Twitter. Will see what they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

anyone else have issue with the sound being extremely low on Channel 4 and BBC compared to other channels

i have to turn up the volume a good bit (nearly double) for it to be at the same listening level as say rte 1 and then get blasted when switch to a different channel

i have the streaming box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

All BBC logos have been updated this week on the 360 box

Although BBC One (108), Two (109/709) and Four (150) were rebranded in October 2021

BBC News (201, labelled BBC News 24) is different to the one on 206, that logo changed in 2022

Both CBBC (608) and CBeebies (609) changed their logos last March

Once again VM are extremely slow to update any changes to logos

Channel 4 (June last year) and both ITV channels (2022) haven't been updated either

Advertisement