Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If your still on the Hybrid fiber-coaxial network you will still get a 360 box (not streaming little box).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

I still have old 360 and Horizon boxes, plus a white router. Can I just dispose of them?

360 boxes are not old. Customer's only ever have 1 horizon box at a time. Router is probably a Compal modem. I wouldn't get rid off them as you might get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd contact them first before throwing anything away.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Cancelled a box last week,they told me to recycle it myself.

They don't collect them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Virgin collected a white hub (WiFi router) from me just today. I wasn't taking any chances being charged for not returning equipment!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

So this equipment is at least 2 years old. I cancelled my contract and switched to Vodafone 5G broadband, and was getting speeds of ~800MB (as I was in line of site of the cell tower). But moved to a different part of Dublin and the speeds were a fraction of that, so went back to VM. I asked if I could use the old equipment and they said they would have to send new routers etc. I'll contact them again and see if they want the equipment back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

504 - 'TG4+1 HD'

602 - 'Cula4 HD' (previously 'Cula4' in SD)

EPG reckons RTE are starting Neighbours from episode 1 next Monday Sept. 18 (as in 1985) and Craig Doyle is new host for The NFL show but they still have Laura Wood in the photo. Obviously need's more manual intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

No idea about the NFL show so assume you are right there but Neighbours was cancelled and revived so Episode 1 may be correct for the revival?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Craig Doyle is the new host of the NFL Show, Laura Woods has gone on to bigger things at TNT.

No it referred to original episode 1 with a summary and old picture with characters from very first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

Right so, that actually took effort to get wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

looking for help\advice please!

I'm a Virgin Media subscriber. I subscribe to broadband and TV, including all the sports channels and Sky Cinema.

Since approx 5 weeks ago, none of the sports or cinema channels have been available. They all just show a 'click OK to subscribe' message and a black screen with a stop sign. Virgin are still quite efficiently collecting the full payment for these channels!

I have rung them three times. The operators don't seem to have any technical knowledge whatsoever, are superficially helpful, promise action...and then nothing happens! Everything else works fine i.e. normal channels and broadband.

I would switch, except I am stuck in a non-fibre area.

Anyone any smart tips on how to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

If you have Movies in HD, 301 should give you premiere - if you have SD, 351 should give you premiere. If neither work then you could try a full power down (unplug and no power for at least 30 seconds) and then try selecting channel again.

They have a way to send a signal to your box to refresh your subscriptions (box needs to be on a channel for this). If your 100% sure your still paying for them they should be working.

If you are no longer paying for them and somehow they got switched off then obviously you will need to ask them to put you back on.

Highly unlikely box is the issue and you don't need a Technician to call out but you might need them to send that signal out to your box. A refresh or hit I think it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Looking form some advice please...

My Horizon box gave up the ghost recently so I took up an offer for the 360 STB and the modem.

I am still currently using my old Virgin setup for Internet... Cisco EPC3925 --> bridged to my own ASUS router

If I move over to the new 360 device and remove the Cisco can I still bridge and have my ASUS do all my networking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 12 perryboy

If I swap a Hard drive from a VM box on the Northside to a similsr box on the Southside will the recordings on it play ok?

157 - 'Pick' renamed 'Sky Mix' with a purple logo. Sky and VM (UK) have a blue logo on their EPGs/online guides. The Pick logo is stil present in the manage channels section

Freeview (UK) is the only other platform to have the SD version. Freesat, VM (UK) and Sky all replaced the SD version of Pick to the HD version of Sky Mix. AFAIK Vodafone and eir didn't carry Pick

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

No the recordings are encrypted if you don't subscribe to the channel a recoding of that channel will not play.

Also Virgin Media owns all the equipment you are not allowed modify anything.

One last thing the boxes are online my guess in the wrong hard drive with be detected and your box will be disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 perryboy

If I swap the Northside and Southside boxes, will the Northside one play it's recordings on the Southside of the city? And will the Southside box provide TV on the Northside? I just want to get some recorded programmes off a Virgin box located on the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

If you take either box online to use on demand or steaming services Virgin Media will know straight away the box is at the wrong address.

The box will work but all online functionality will need to be disabled including catch up.

If you want to watch a few recorded shows the playback will work but it's not a longterm option and I am guessing the boxes have to report back in online every so often on the correct IP address.

So my best guess is you could take the box keep it offline for a few days watch the recordings and then swap it back.

Virgin TV 360 is only sold with internet and the main box and all the mini boxes must remain connected to the same Virgin router as part of the package.

If a box remains offline for too long I am guessing access to the channels and recordings will stop working after a while.

If you connect to a router that is not matched to the account I would expect Virgin Media would disable the box or even cancel the account of the Internet box and the TV box.

So if you want to watch recordings from a box from a different address you would need to keep it offline watch the shows within a few days and then return it to its proper address.

Unless you really want to see the shows I would think it's more hassle than it's worth.

If you sign into your Virgin Media account you will see they have all the numbers of your internet and TV boxes listed and this equipment will only work fully on the account they are listed for.

I don't think you are doing any harm borrowing a box to watch a few recordings but like I said it can only stay away from it's assigned router for a certain amount of time and it must not join the wrong online network.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are VM broadcasting any programs in 4K/UHD these days? My Samsung TV says that everything coming from the TV360 box is UHD. I thought this was the AV receiver upscaling everything but when I bypassed the AVR and connected the TV360 box direct to the TV, it's still telling me that everything is UHD, even programs with terrible picture quality such as The Chase or Bullseye on Challenge! So it appears that, if your TV supports UHD, the TV360 box will send it a UHD signal, regardless of the source.

Hence, I can't be certain if the likes of Planet Earth III is HD or UHD. It's definitely a brilliant picture but is there somewhere I can check to see if VM is sending us output in UHD these days?

10 episodes of The Feed is the only 4K content on the 360 box. I'm not sure about the apps having 4K - Netflix etc.

Planet Earth III is only UHD on the BBC iPlayer

662 - logo has changed to BoXmas, label is stil 'The Box' - the channel temp rebranded on 2nd Nov

653 - logo and label are stil 'MTV 90s', the channel temp rebranded on 6th Nov to MTV Xmas

Wonder will they ever change the Sky Sports Golf logo. It's currently Sky Sports The Masters.

I'd said never. It's been that logo on SS Golf HD & SD since I've had the 360 box, and that's over 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Updated my old horizon box to the streaming box, fibre connection, my advice is don't do it, can't record a lot of tv due to copyright BS, e.g. can't record tonight's Ireland v Netherlands soccer match!, also the fibre cable has plug into the router so they drilled a hole through the hall wall and left router etc on the hall floor, far from a tidy job!

Post edited by ml100 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thanks for the update. This was my fear. Will stick with Coax until they turn it off then.

Advertisement