Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The BBC Radio stations have been updated too, along with the Irish commercial stations, many of the Irish ones previously had no logo or were years old

The only 2 that have old logos in the Radio section are BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Radio World Service

Sky Sports Tennis SD & HD were added to Sky's EPG this morning. It was also added on VM UK's EPG

No sign yet on our 360 boxes 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

It took them several years to add Sky Sports F1 so we could be waiting a while. I hope I’m wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They told me they've no plans to add it so I cancelled Sky Sports with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Hi

Could someone advise please on this,

Currently on VM 500mb broadband and the 360 tv box.

Order a new package with Virgin with 1gb broadband, Just got the router with a small fibre patch cable and the small streaming tv box today.

I have the standard coaxial VM connection box on my wall,

Are VM going to have to send an installer out and run a new fibre cable through my house from the street and install a new connection box

on the wall?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭bren2001

No. The 500 Mb broadband is also fibre. Just plug out the old box and plug in the new box with the exact same wires.

Its typically fibre-to-node with local coaxial distribution with Virgin. I don't believe they do fibre to the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

thanks for the reply.

the problem is there is no coaxial connection port on the new router, it's replaced with a small green fibre port that the fibre patch cable they provide plugs into.

And i cant see anywhere place on the VM connections box on the wall where the new fibre patch cable would plug into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They do and it looks like they're replacing the co-ax customer by customer. I thought it was only newer installations with existing ftth that were getting the fibre extended into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They sent you a box for a fibre connection. If it's available in your area, an engineer will have to install this - running a cable to your home and into a suitable location. The fibre is patched directly into that box. If you don't want this, send it back. Note the max broadband speed you can get on coaxial with Virgin is 500Mb. Also, note that Virgin TV 360 boxes do not work with a fibre connection.

That's a worrying development, try giving them a ring and see did they send you out the incorrect router by mistake, worth a try anyway. If I'm going to need fibre to be brought into the house I'll go with Sky as it will give me more choice in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

You can have 1GB on co-axial.

I have it myself I'm just worried they'll want to bring fibre into the house when I become a "new" customer in a few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sound gone on box, picture fine. Have gone through all the usual potential solutions but no luck. Called support but all I got was "we'll escalate it". Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

I’m on 500mb package with 360 TV for €104 pm.

Received an email earlier about best tariff information offering the same speed on fibre for €109 but looks to be with the new TV box with no proper recording function.

Seems misleading to be selling it as a best tariff when I’m paying less for more at the moment.

Have other people received the same email and then gone on to be able to get fibre connections from other providers?

At the moment I’m pretty much locked into VM coax unless this means fibre is on the way?

Only VM show fibre for my address, others are still ADSL.

I think I’d prefer to keep the TV recording function even if I was able to get fibre elsewhere cheaper.

Anybody used to having a 360 box with hard drive should hold on to it for as long as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Deleted

Post edited by coylemj on

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Negative Waves

Hi All,

Just set up my Virgin TV streaming box today. I’m aghast that there is no recording allowed for the traditional ‘terrestrial’ channels!

We have two small kids so get to watch tv infrequently- we just hit series link/record and watch when we get a chance. Our 4 year old loves one programme in particular and I switched it in on for him today and couldn’t believe we couldn’t record it. Just says ‘You can only watch this live’.

Funnily enough- I was only explaining to him recently that when Mammy and Daddy were small we just had to watch what came on the tv and had to wait for our favourite programmes to come on. Little did I think this would be the reality in 2024! At least in the 90s we could record things on video! What a step backwards.

Will be calling them tomorrow to cancel everything- at least I’m still in the cooling off period. Feel I was mis-sold this package as they state their streaming tv has: ‘Live TV, Recordings, Continue Watching, Replay, On Demand, Radio, Casting and pause live TV.’. Most people would assume this applies to the traditional tv channels.

Reckon I’ll get stung for the 50 euro activation fee.

I cancelled Sky as I was getting majorly ripped off by them (my fault for not switching) but I still have the Q box here so might go back to them with my tail between my legs!!!

Unfortunately SkyQ is still the best tv service out there and they know it. That sounds very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Negative Waves

Thanks CoBo55. Yes very disappointing- especially as we were getting a great deal. €50 pm for tv and broadband. I didn’t really engage with Sky when cancelling but think they were still looking for around €70 pm to keep the Q Box. I’ve heard Sky have launched their own streaming box- I wonder is it the same story with recording?

I think it's the same with the Sky streaming service, it's a real step back to the stone age especially with the BBC's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

That's not correct. Sky have introduced BBC on demand which has a catch up like offering of shows and programmes from all of the BBC channels 1,2,3,4 and the kids one. It is in the Catch Up section of the menu.

I was corrected on that already, it was posted last August 😕

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Illustrating the reason we don’t drag up old threads.

However, in terms of this one, we have threads for most of the “new generation” cable-like streaming services in this forum, including the Virgin one. Can I suggest we keep discussion in this thread to TV360 primarily, and if necessary the legacy cable platforms (Horizon 3/Mediabox), and discuss the new generation services in the appropriate threads. I think the last five posts were all to do with Sky.

Anyone check BBC4 lately? I hope we are not loosing it.

It's looks fine to me in glorious SD on 150 right now

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I finally upgraded to TV360. Virgin media sent me a mini wireless box instead of the 360 box. Am I missing out by only having the mini box? should I be insisting on a TV360 box?

Yes you are missing out but sadly they are no longer supplying the 360 box with a hard drive to anyone.

You will not be able to record every single channel like you can do with a 360 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,899 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are you on full fibre or still co-ax? They seem to be pushing people on full fibre to the mini box, and you have limited recording capabilities with it. VM finally came up with a decent box in the TV360 and already dropping it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

It's amazing after years of failure with the horizon box, that they really got their product right with the 360box (i'm very happy with it and there's been no slow down etc after years of use), only to move to these inferior streaming boxes, certainly from a recording perspective. Mad stuff. Not being able to record bbc is a non-negotiable in my eyes, particularly with the lack of iplayer. Most of the best tele is on there, if people cared to take the time to look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what do you mean by this? when it was sold to me they said I could record 6 channels at a time and up to 1TB of storage. Is that not the case with the mini box? I'm still on coax btw.

Advertisement