Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

phatkev wrote: »
    Jump up to grab their choice of WR?

WRs in R1 are notorious for being busts. By all means take a WR at 15 - but I will be really pissed if Elway trades up to take a WR. I mean the Broncos aren't a WR away from competing - stay at 15 and take BPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

letowski wrote: »
    Midnight. First round usually takes 4 hours at least. Could be quicker this year.

Or slower. They may need more time to horsetrade behind the scenes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

WRs in R1 are notorious for being busts. By all means take a WR at 15 - but I will be really pissed if Elway trades up to take a WR. I mean the Broncos aren't a WR away from competing - stay at 15 and take BPA.

Rumour is they want Juedy, Raiders & Jets supposedly hot on him too. I’ve read that he’s the best WR to come into the NFL for the last 3 years and could be the best for the next 2/3 years too.

I agree with you about Denver being far away from competing but maybe the expect to have a good chance on snatching Lawrence or Fields next year and if they do they have the perfect WR for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Just because they are notorious for being busts doesn't make it a true statement. You're still more likely to hit on a WR you pick in the first round than anywhere else (like all other positions).

WR is also probably the position where your performance is most dependent on others so being a 'bust' isn't always the fault of the player or the GM for picking them.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Rumour is they want Juedy, Raiders & Jets supposedly hot on him too. I’ve read that he’s the best WR to come into the NFL for the last 3 years and could be the best for the next 2/3 years too.

I agree with you about Denver being far away from competing but maybe the expect to have a good chance on snatching Lawrence or Fields next year and if they do they have the perfect WR for him.

That isn't true. There is a strong argument that Juedy isn't even the best WR in this draft. Next year there are two or more guys that are trending to be better prospects. This WR class is extremely deep but it doesn't really have absolute superstars that we see some years

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That isn't true. There is a strong argument that Juedy isn't even the best WR in this draft. Next year there are two or more guys that are trending to be better prospects. This WR class is extremely deep but it doesn't really have absolute superstars that we see some years

He’s ranked as the #1 receiver in virtually every major publications rankings and #2 in the rest behind CeeDee Lamb. The 2 I seen him ranked #2 in were 2 of the bigger ones, granted. ESPN & CBS.

but maybe the expect to have a good chance on snatching Lawrence or Fields next year and if they do they have the perfect WR for him.

Seriously :rolleyes:

Lock looks like the real deal - and the Broncos are going to improve from last season.

The reason Denver won't be competing this season is that the roster 3 starters and lacks any decent depth, the OL only has 3 1/2 starters at the moment, there is no WR2, they have no depth at DB and they need an ILB.

I would put Lamb above Juedy

Just because they are notorious for being busts doesn't make it a true statement. You're still more likely to hit on a WR you pick in the first round than anywhere else (like all other positions).

WR is also probably the position where your performance is most dependent on others so being a 'bust' isn't always the fault of the player or the GM for picking them.

The positions that have the highest bust potential in R1 are - RB, QB and WR - given the position you generally have to take a punt on a QB in R1 - but you don't have to take a RB or WR.

This year is deep in WR - and I don't have a problem taking one of Lamb, Juedy or Ruggs if they are there at 15 - I do have a problem with giving away 2 R3 picks (and possibly more) to move up 5-6 places to take a WR. Stay at 15 and you get either a WR, an OT or a CB - all of whom Denver needs - and then use the 2 R3 picks to build roster depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, its probably the closest thing we will get to live sport this year.

Christ that's a depressing thought.

• Advertisement

He’s ranked as the #1 receiver in virtually every major publications rankings and #2 in the rest behind CeeDee Lamb. The 2 I seen him ranked #2 in were 2 of the bigger ones, granted. ESPN & CBS.

There is a huge difference in saying that Jeudy is ranked #1 receiver by most analysts this year and what you said that 'he’s the best WR to come into the NFL for the last 3 years and could be the best for the next 2/3 years too'. You might have read someone making that claim but any investigation shows that it is complete hyperbole.

Jeudy isn't elite physically, hasn't really shown he can deal with contested catches, looked at times borderline scared of contact, had drop issues, was surrounded by top players coaching that made things easier for him. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if the 49ers ended up with him at 13 but there wouldn't be as many concerns about him as a player if he was as good as your claim implied.

The positions that have the highest bust potential in R1 are - RB, QB and WR - given the position you generally have to take a punt on a QB in R1 - but you don't have to take a RB or WR.

This year is deep in WR - and I don't have a problem taking one of Lamb, Juedy or Ruggs if they are there at 15 - I do have a problem with giving away 2 R3 picks (and possibly more) to move up 5-6 places to take a WR. Stay at 15 and you get either a WR, an OT or a CB - all of whom Denver needs - and then use the 2 R3 picks to build roster depth.

I agree with your thoughts on what the Broncos should do but still disagree on your initial logic regarding busts.

For all 3 positions you listed, if you want an elite player you're still more likely to get it in the first round than leaving it until a later pick. Each are also positions that rely on others the most to be successful.

Making decisions based on how notorious a given position is to be a bust is drafting scared and you might as well fire your front office. One of the positions you highlighted as being a bust might get more media coverage but failing similarly at other positions will set you back as much or even more, like an OT or CB that keeps getting beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Just take Chase Young already Skins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

No boards draft this year? Seems an odd year for it not to happen with everyone off :(

I agree with your thoughts on what the Broncos should do but still disagree on your initial logic regarding busts.

For all 3 positions you listed, if you want an elite player you're still more likely to get it in the first round than leaving it until a later pick. Each are also positions that rely on others the most to be successful.

Making decisions based on how notorious a given position is to be a bust is drafting scared and you might as well fire your front office. One of the positions you highlighted as being a bust might get more media coverage but failing similarly at other positions will set you back as much or even more, like an OT or CB that keeps getting beat.
    Can I clarify again - I have no problem with Elway taking a WR at 15 - I have a problem with trading up to 10 or 8 to take a WR and costing draft capital that Denver needs to fill holes on the roster and build depth which is sadly lacking.

Although the latest rumour out of Denver is that they are looking to shift Garrett Bolles and 1.15 to either Cleveland or Arizona to be in a position to take one of the OTs available.

Can I clarify again - I have no problem with Elway taking a WR at 15 - I have a problem with trading up to 10 or 8 to take a WR and costing draft capital that Denver needs to fill holes on the roster and build depth which is sadly lacking.

Although the latest rumour out of Denver is that they are looking to shift Garrett Bolles and 1.15 to either Cleveland or Arizona to be in a position to take one of the OTs available.

Again, I have no problem with what you're now saying from a Denver perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

My disagreement was with you initially leading off your reasoning with the regularly heard cliche around this time of the year that 'WRs in R1 are notorious for being busts' and this should play into decisions, which you later expanded to also include QBs and RBs. Picking any of those positions in the 1st is the greatest likelihood that you'll get an elite player, so letting how other teams have failed in drafting come into your evaluation just shows lack of trust scouts and front office. There's a difference in not valuing certain positions and drafting scared, and your original argument was the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The whole off season and draft has been messed up obviously by the coronavirus outbreak and thankfully the combine took place because at least teams have recent film on players in the draft. I mean a disadvantage to rookies is the likelihood that training camps will at best be shortened and at worst delayed until later in August. I think it's highly unlikely that any rookie QB starts this upcoming season because as good as some of them clearly are, the likelihood is they won't have the necessary reps done for them to be put in games.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The whole off season and draft has been messed obviously by the coronavirus outbreak and thankfully the combine took place because at least teams have recent film on players in the draft. I mean a disadvantage to rookies is the likelihood that training camps will at best be shortened and at worst delayed until later in August. I think it's highly unlikely that any rookie QB starts this upcoming season because as good as some of them clearly are, the likelihood is they won't have the necessary reps done for them to be put in games.

This will likely most hurt the Lions and Giants' market to try to trade down. I don't think it stops Dolphins or Chargers from taking a QB but they aren't going to give away a number of picks with the guys likely to be there already being risks before the lack reps and limited 2020 output.

Probably also means the Bengals won't move on from Dalton without a good offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

I've Friday off work, so considering staying up to watch round 1 at least.
    Can anyone tell me how I can easily and legally watch this? Do any free channels have it? Is it on the NFL website? Youtube?
    Do I need US ESPN to watch?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've Friday off work, so considering staying up to watch round 1 at least.
    Can anyone tell me how I can easily and legally watch this? Do any free channels have it? Is it on the NFL website? Youtube?
    Do I need US ESPN to watch?

Thanks

NFL Gamepass will have it and I think that’s free at the moment because of C19. I’d imagine NFL.com will have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

NFL Gamepass will have it and I think that’s free at the moment because of C19. I’d imagine NFL.com will have it too.
    Gamepass was free during the off-season last year, however it wasn't available on draft night (well the first night at least)

Just seen that Sky Sports are showing it as well. That will do for me

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Just seen that Sky Sports are showing it as well. That will do for me
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Sky usually do all 3 days of the draft, didn't check how much they're doing this week given most lose interest after Thursday

It is hard to tell what the main draft show will be like this year with everyone remote and it being a joint NFL/ESPN production. I would put money on a pre draft montage of nurses and doctors mixed in with the national anthem or god bless america or one of those.

If anyone wants to go a different route or doesn't have sky sports, Bleacher Report (Stick to Football guys and Lefkoe) do a live show on youtube that runs at the same time as the draft. They stay in just analysis and deal with picks as news gets out, so no distractions by bland player interviews, commercials, recapping picks from much earlier (or earlier days), or people tipping picks when the production is behind but the info is already out on twitter.

I normally go with the main show for the first few and move off it to Bleacher as TV start getting distracted from analysis of the last and next pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It is hard to tell what the main draft show will be like this year with everyone remote and it being a joint NFL/ESPN production. I would put money on a pre draft montage of nurses and doctors mixed in with the national anthem or god bless america or one of those.

They do love to stick to this anthem stuff don't they. I watched the indycar race at the weekend (virtual) . They had some singer on beforehand (from her home) doing the anthem. For a video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

@Foxtrol you must have been in the same Zoom draft production meeting earlier! :) Peyton to open the night with a two minute montage to Covid efforts/draft changing lives is how we are rolling apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GlassOfMarleau

Anyone betting o/u on draft positions? I was looking into the under for Jeudy at 12.5

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone betting o/u on draft positions? I was looking into the under for Jeudy at 12.5

There's talk of a knee injury that may cause him to slide, but as usual expect most of what you hear this week to be nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 GlassOfMarleau

adrian522 wrote: »
    There's talk of a knee injury that may cause him to slide, but as usual expect most of what you hear this week to be nonsense.

Yeah I had heard a little bit about that too but I can't imagine it being enough to have him slide that far down. I could see Lamb sliding in front of him from what I've been reading but I'm almost certain both of them wont last past the 12th pick

Advertisement