Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Some lightening in North Wicklow. Thunder is getting stronger each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

massive flash and bang in ashford co wicklow 5 mins ago lit up room

power failed around 10.30 came back on 11.10 will prob go again 🙄

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Closer flash in Dublin 16. Must be from Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

Big flash around delgany, very loud thunder in Greystones just now, hopefully be a fun night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

The live detectors are not picking up these reported strikes well at all. Seeing some flashes to my southeast from Dublin too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

all quiet here now was some strong rain accompanying lightning but seems to have drifted northwards towards dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Lightening Dublin 8 coming from south

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Everybody, it's "lightning", not "lightening"! Although lightning inherently causes lightening, I think certain posters are using it in the wrong context. Obviously I can't be 100% sure that when a poster says "lightening", they actually mean "lightning", I can only hazard a guess that this is the case.

I will endeavour to keep reminding people of this as long as is necessary as it ensures no possibilities of confusion as to what a poster is trying to describe so is in agreement with the rules and regulations on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

highdef wrote: »
    Everybody, it's "lightning", not "lightening"! Although lightning inherently causes lightening, I think certain posters are using it in the wrong context. Obviously I can't be 100% sure that when a poster says "lightening", they actually mean "lightning", I can only hazard a guess that this is the case.

I will endeavour to keep reminding people of this as long as is necessary as it ensures no possibilities of confusion as to what a poster is trying to describe so is in agreement with the rules and regulations on Boards.ie

Id say you're great craic at a party 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nothing visible in D9. Just heavy rain for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Thanks for the enlightening post.

Thanks for the enlightening post.

Very good, very clever. Love it! I did have to be quite Pacific to get my message across.

jc11 wrote: »
    Id say you're great craic at a party 🙄

You know me very well so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Cu_mtMvW8AAhN6l?format=jpg&name=small

spookwoman wrote: »
    Cu_mtMvW8AAhN6l?format=jpg&name=small

I think that's way too far. I'd rather educate rather than murder. Lol

I also think it's sexist to assume that the misspellings are a female thing. Not on laptop so can't insert a sarcastic emoji before anyone goes mental.

North Kildare, heavy rain but no lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Okay okay, can the spelling bees take their little competition over to the edumacational forum please!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very active rainfall line coming in across the SW. I wonder will it produce much sparks later in the night as it crosses the country.

Cornwall has a big cell firing over there, but this is set to go up into Wales as our winds veer SWly pushing that Cornish cell NNE.

Danno wrote: »
    Okay okay, can the spelling bees take their little competition over to the edumacational forum please!

Can't be fully sure if it's misspellings or inaccurate description. For example, I'm in my kitchen just now and I saw lightening. One could assume that I meant there was lightning outside but no, the lightening was because I turned the light switch to the "on" position and the room got brighter. Pedantic, yes. But it's also a contributor to inaccurate/vague information.

Lightning does cause lightening as we all know but we can't be 100% which word is the desired one the poster is trying to convey when they post. We can of course guess but for the reasons of accuracy, it's best that we stop guessing wherever possible hence why I'm trying to ensure that potential misunderstandings are not unintentionally posted on this forum.

For the record, I am great craic at parties ðŸ˜

Danno wrote: »
    Very active rainfall line coming in across the SW. I wonder will it produce much sparks later in the night as it crosses the country.

Cornwall has a big cell firing over there, but this is set to go up into Wales as our winds veer SWly pushing that Cornish cell NNE.

Was just looking at that... Will be asleep when it hits so will miss any action that it might contain....boo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Can't be fully sure if it's misspellings or inaccurate description. For example, I'm in my kitchen just now and I saw lightening. One could assume that I meant there was lightning outside but no, the lightening was because I turned the light switch to the "on" position and the room got brighter. Pedantic, yes. But it's also a contributor to inaccurate/vague information.

Lightning does cause lightening as we all know but we can't be 100% which word is the desired one the poster is trying to convey when they post. We can of course guess but for the reasons of accuracy, it's best that we stop guessing wherever possible hence why I'm trying to ensure that potential misunderstandings are not unintentionally posted on this forum.

For the record, I am great craic at parties ðŸ˜

Given that we are in the weather forum and context I think it’s safe to presume lightening is lightning.

• Advertisement

Given that we are in the weather forum and context I think it’s safe to presume lightening is lightning.

Fairly safe but always best practice not to create any sort of conjecture especially as it's a thread in the science section of Boards which, by its nature does tend to have a lower level of inaccuracies and less need to "guesstimate" than many other sections.

And sure, at the end of the day the end result leads to a positive gain in the English language which is not pertinent to the subject matter in this particular thread but it does lead to a better understanding of the English language in general.

It's certainly no harm to to use this forum as a platform to promote the differences between "lightening" and "lightning"..... In fact, it's the perfect place as it's often the very thing being discussed! The net result in the education is positive and I can't think of another thread where so many people using Boards.ie can discover the proper spelling of the word "lightning" than this particular thread, more than any other thread on Boards.ie !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Fairly safe but always best practice not to create any sort of conjecture especially as it's a thread in the science section of Boards which, by its nature does tend to have a lower level of inaccuracies and less need to "guesstimate" than many other sections.

And sure, at the end of the day the end result leads to a positive gain in the English language which is not pertinent to the subject matter in this particular thread but it does lead to a better understanding of the English language in general.

It's certainly no harm to to use this forum as a platform to promote the differences between "lightening" and "lightning"..... In fact, it's the perfect place as it's often the very thing being discussed! The net result in the education is positive and I can't think of another thread where so many people using Boards.ie can discover the proper spelling of the word "lightning" than this particular thread, more than any other thread on Boards.ie !

This off topic discussion is getting quiet annoying at this stage. Could you please shut up and be quite about it now please!? ;);)

Calibos wrote: »
    This off topic discussion is getting quiet annoying at this stage. Could you please shut up and be quite about it now please!? ;);)

Only trying to help people understand how to spell lightning in the forum where the topic of lightning is most prevalent on this site.
    If you can point me to a more suitable thread in boards.ie where the discussion of how "lightning" is spelled in the correct or incorrect context (where contributing posters routinely and unknowingly spell it incorrectly), I'll gladly post there but posting in a Languages forum would be futile as the particular posters there would most likely have an understanding between lightening and lightning.

I can't think of a better forum to educate the differences between lightning and lightening (to those who use either or both of those words when posting on boards.ie to describe lightning) than this this particular thread but I'll gladly use a more suitable thread if there is one.... Nobody is perfect!

Rain has stopped in North Kildare. It's actually gone very quite.... Pun intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

pad199207 wrote: »

Funny thing is the Met.ie forecast for my particular area does show the thunder symbol but the word "thunder" is not appearing in the text of the general forecast itself. :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any thoughts on thunderstorm potential for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Met Eireann are giving a few hours of rain and thunder for Clondalkin, Dublin, overnight. I won't think much of it. Despite the symbols, nothing happens.

I'd say it will just be a rainy night for many, but not much, if any thunder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thunderstorm potential tomorrow, mainly Southern half with Munster featuring most , post frontal in the afternoon if enough breaks in the cloud and heating gets going could produce some storms. The Northern half of the country is mostly under cloud and rain.

Uppers quite cold. Convective nature to the rainfall, some very heavy showers, localised flooding possible after all the rainfall lately, wonder could we possibly get hail. Convergence zones a plenty under the rotation of the Low with variable wind directions.

anim_coh8.gif

F6PkZRc.gif

pS9eQem.gif

anim_hgo0.gif

PF0bjDF.gif

gR2F7vn.png

3878_oli0.png

LDKCVKy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

M58,I always look out for your posts. Great detail. What time do you reckon for the showers to get going tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

bazlers wrote: »
    M58,I always look out for your posts. Great detail. What time do you reckon for the showers to get going tomorrow?

Maybe early morning in the SW during the initial frontal passage and later from the afternoon more widespread in the Southern half of the country and more so Munster perhaps. Not a lot of Deep Layer Shear so probably more pulse like storms springing up and dying away again after but areas with more convergence might see more prolonged activity. We will see, doesn't always happen and then some days it would surprise you.

Advertisement