Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Lots of sferics off the S and SE coast atm.

Yup. Will bypass Cork and go up the SE?

Has there been any reports of tornadoes or funnel clouds over the last 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

A good few lightening flashes and thunder in dungarvan

Any lightning to be seen? I'd expect you to be able to see lightning if you can hear thunder? Any idea what is causing the lightening that you mentioned? Maybe some power lines have come down and there are short circuits causing the lightening incidents that you mentioned. Stay safe and keep away from fallen power lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has there been any reports of tornadoes or funnel clouds over the last 24 hours?

The only few brief times I was outdoors today the sky certainly looked like they could form - particularly this morning as the thunderstorms moved over.

Big area of precip with the thunderstorms moving in from the south now. Windy here also, so they'll scoot through rather briskly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Few flashes of lightning on Clonmel/Waterford border towards Dungarvan. Haven’t heard any thunder yet but the cameras outside are picking up the lightning.

Not seeing much on lightning maps either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

highdef wrote: »
    Any lightning to be seen? I'd expect you to be able to see lightning if you can hear thunder? Any idea what is causing the lightening that you mentioned? Maybe some power lines have come down and there are short circuits causing the lightening incidents that you mentioned. Stay safe and keep away from fallen power lines!

Ok, joke was wasted on me for 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Few flashes of lightning on Clonmel/Waterford border. Haven’t heard any thunder yet but the cameras outside are picking up the lightning.

Saw another flash out towards that way, no thunder after it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Question for those who know about this: Is there a reason we don't generally tend to get the kind of rotating mesocyclone thunderstorms they get in the US? You often see photographs of thunder clouds over there which are almost perfectly cylindrical and they visibly rotate as one watches them, but here thunder and lightning often seem to come from clouds which don't look particularly different to ordinary rain clouds except for being darker. We don't seem to get mesocyclones here at all, and yet we can still get extremely powerful thunderstorms on occasion (thinking back to that one night near the start of the summer where there was forked lightning all over the sky in Dun Laoghaire for a good two or three hours at around 4AM!)

Live webcam from Johnstown in Kilkenny facing SE.

Might see a few sparks from there:

They seem to be up to the Irish sea.

• Advertisement

I was hoping for some decent thunderstorms!
    Ah well, can't be greedy eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Question for those who know about this: Is there a reason we don't generally tend to get the kind of rotating mesocyclone thunderstorms they get in the US? You often see photographs of thunder clouds over there which are almost perfectly cylindrical and they visibly rotate as one watches them, but here thunder and lightning often seem to come from clouds which don't look particularly different to ordinary rain clouds except for being darker. We don't seem to get mesocyclones here at all, and yet we can still get extremely powerful thunderstorms on occasion (thinking back to that one night near the start of the summer where there was forked lightning all over the sky in Dun Laoghaire for a good two or three hours at around 4AM!)

It's to do with the shape of the CAPE area on the sounding (the difference between how warmer a rising parcel is than its environment) and windshear.

Because we don't get very warm and humid low levels we tend to get very narrow CAPE profiles (the parcel trajectory (blue) is only slightly warmer than the temperature curve on a Skew-T, tracing out a very thin CAPE area, first sounding below). This allows dry air to be entrained from the environment, reducing buoyancy and updraft speeds.

In the case of a mesocyclone the CAPE is much thicker, meaning the parcel trajectory is much warmer than the temperature curve, tracing out a much squarer CAPE area (2nd sounding). Limited dry air-entrainment means updraft speeds are much higher, and if wind is changing direction with height (direcitonal shear) it will be easier for the updraft to take on rotation.

sounding_03953_2020082006_5a8a8210910a48c87ad4402b71cb3619.png

sounding_16320_2020081812_afa3c1137ec11bf6c46d248879aee2b9.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

cisJsCs.png

Very active out there in the Celtic/Irish Sea

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Sitting near Kilmore Quay watching the sky light up way out in St George's Channel. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Good few strikes north of Mallow now

They seem to be up to the Irish sea.

All wasted over water.

Will that activity from the Biscay hit the south coast at all?

Will that activity from the Biscay hit the south coast at all?

Theres lightening at the moment, no thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning visible here in Naas to the south

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Lightning off coast of Greystones, very feint thunder but bright enough flash through the window

• Advertisement

Seen a few flashes to my SE from here in south Laois. Had the lightning maps detector on the mobile and it was only picking up some of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Distant lightning to me SE in Dublin 16.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have seen 5 flashes of distant lightning to my SE in the last couple of minutes in Dublin 16. Must be IC lightning (not showing on detectors) in that shower off the Wicklow coast?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Lightning visible here in Naas to the south

Ditto on the Kildare/Meath border

Theres lightening at the moment, no thunder.

Depending on the specifics for the cause of the lightening that you are seeing, thunder is not normally something that accompanies it.

Back to the weather, I can see distant flashes of lightning to my SSE although it's way way beyond the distance where thunder would be audible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

Hearing thunder near tullow

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

Nice flash of lightning, near enough

Seen a big cloud->cloud fork to my SE, impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

seems like dublin may get thunder and lightning in a few hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Fresh air helps!

Rain is unbelievable with thunder and lightning here in Wicklow. Very loud!

Advertisement