Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Learner drivers in two of those vids arrrggh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Taken from Dunmore East Today. No sparks :(

524524.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Poker Face wrote: »

Thanks but cant open it, not on facebook :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

Thanks but cant open it, not on facebook :)

Try this link below video should still work even if not on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/gloria.j.keller/videos/4624721800879296

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ennis
    6FxfT9P.jpg

Poker Face wrote: »
    Try this link below video should still work even if not on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/gloria.j.keller/videos/4624721800879296

One of the best I've seen in Ireland.

ECM showing some thunderstorm possibilities overnight but chance seem quite low and sporadic if any. Tomorrow it goes on to show the front as being quite active and unstable in the afternoon. Shear in lower and upper levels, lapse rates ok if not that great but with a bit of convergence and Orographic lift in the W and NW could force some storms. Very high theta E readings and even though the upper temperatures are not that cold the difference between the 850 hPa and 500 hPa temps might be enough to create the required instability with diurnal heating peaking in the afternoon. DP's up around 18C . High 850 hPa temps in the warm zone following the initial fronts , steep temperature gradient following . Interesting to see if storms develop.

Elevated storms I would imagine if they do occur.

e7wRxgQ.gif

fsIkL1Y.gif

i3TjYCh.gif

cEfMqn4.png

y3x8xO1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looking west of Castlebar now. Very thundery looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Looking west of Castlebar now. Very thundery looking.

Looks serious alright

Just taking a stab at where I think storms look possible tomorrow, green area maybe the most chance. Will see....

R8wuC6U.png

Just taking a stab at where I think storms look possible tomorrow, green area maybe the most chance. Will see....

This is why you were a part of the 17%! this is no where near me, must try harder!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    This is why you were a part of the 17%! this is no where near me, must try harder!

???? :o qué

???? qué

Bad humour, apologies, link to current leaving cert situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Clifden co galway this morning
    4phaSwM.jpg

m17 wrote: »
    Clifden co galway this morning

holy crap, that did look nasty on the radar last night, jesus, poor folks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

That video of the river in Clifden looks like it could have been some place in Asia during the Monsoons

My thinking of where thunderstorms might occur was off the mark, some activity around the NE in the afternoon.

fSMgs0R.png

My thinking of where thunderstorms might occur was off the mark, some activity around the NE in the afternoon.

Forecasting is a funny business, particularly here in Ireland regarding thunder, we still appreciate your efforts, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Completely off topic but i remember the same CRAZY rain/floooding in cork the year of the big freeze 2009/2010.

Just sayin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

next week has potential for convection with the frontal boundary close and mix of airmasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

typhoony wrote: »
    next week has potential for convection with the frontal boundary close and mix of airmasses

Hopefully. This bland weather is boring the tits off me..

Models have been showing the possibility of LP forming around midweek to our SW moving to the S and deepening, slow moving parked around biscay which if it did matearlize would drag up warm moist sub tropical air and warm air from Europe. This kind of set up could produce convection with troughs and fronts being fed in over the country with instability more than likely available and capable of producing heavy rain. With the nights getting darker earlier there would be better chance of seeing the full show if we get thunderstorms.
    A bit more interesting for sure.

The chance of thunderstorms is receding for next week as the LP set to form to our SW drifts further S as an area of HP takes control near us. All quiet sedate for now it would seem.

Vo3qdjh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Showers and sparks drifting north towards the Waterford coast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lots of convection in Clare/Kerry today, currently absolutely lashing in West Clare, extremely large raindrops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭4Ad

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Lots of convection in Clare/Kerry today, currently absolutely lashing in West Clare, extremely large raindrops.

Lovely in East Clare now..So calm.Had a lovely day 21 degrees...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lightning flash to the west of Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Few midlands showers developing, thunder later?

Advertisement