Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not a cloud in the sky here in tipp and a lovely 17.1 already

We probably have to be a bit more patient further north as the ridge of high pressure is slowly extending it's influence northwards during the day. Certainly feeling milder today already despite the cloudy morning here. Most of the forcasts for my local area are going for 19 to 22C throughout the next 7 days and some low 20's for the following week as well. Looks fairly promising so far.

The only real threat so far is not the Atlantic but the possibility of a colder plunge in about a week's time from the north but that's a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely morning in cork city. Clear blue skies, a bit of a breeze and about 16 degrees at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Same with a Spanish work mate of mine a couple of years ago who could not bear the July heat in this country. He declared that it was 'ugly', and I totally agreed. I sometimes think if the summer heat here in Galway, and particularly my region of it (NE) is made all the more unbearable due to the fact that there are no hills to help 'churn' the air about a bit more as it would in pretty much any other part of the country. There is always that odd stagnant feel to it here, and the swampy damp bog land that makes up much of the countryside locally hardly helps either.

The damp cold actually causes more heat to leave your body than dry cold. I remember back in 2010 feeling more comfortable in the dry cold of - 5 degrees than the 3 - 4 degrees damp weather we normally get during winter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The damp cold actually causes more heat to leave your body than dry cold. I remember back in 2010 feeling more comfortable in the dry cold of - 5 degrees than the 3 - 4 degrees damp weather we normally get during winter

Maybe it is a call back to genetics or something, but I am just not suited to the miserable damp cold and the even more miserable damp heat in this country. Those living in Europe or North America have no idea how lucky they have it when it comes to weather. There is nearly always a pay off when it does get hot and humid (big storms) in summer and guaranteed deep, healthy dry frosts in winter.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ok it's lovely in Dublin now i can stop moaning, I'm getting a 2018 level tan so far this year with all the lovely sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful day in Dublin 5. Sun splitting the sky and drinking a coffee in the garden. Feels much warmer than last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Beautiful day in Dublin 5. Sun splitting the sky and drinking a coffee in the garden. Feels much warmer than last couple of days

Yep really nice in Dublin now. That annoying wind has died down making it feel quite warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Maybe it is a call back to genetics or something, but I am just not suited to the miserable damp cold and the even more miserable damp heat in this country. Those living in Europe or North America have no idea how lucky they have it when it comes to weather. There is nearly always a pay off when it does get hot and humid (big storms) in summer and guaranteed deep, healthy dry frosts in winter.

There is only one thing worse than damp cold, and that's damp heat.
    I'm thankful we don't get humid weather too often in this country. If i had to live in a country with high humidity as a daily occurrence i would absolutely hate it, that's why Holidays to such places don't really appeal to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful day now in Meath, unbroken sunshine and feeling much warmer, wind is just a light breeze at this stage. Currently 19C here in Meath, might get to 20C in the next few hours. A world away from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A bright and sunny afternoon in Castlebar, still a few moderate gusts around which is making it feel slightly cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

19c and beautiful also here in Arklow
    SW breeze gusting 30kmh that feels warm for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny spells in cork city now, some clouds keep coming and blocking out the sun! Mild even in the shade though and warm when the sun is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

East Cork has disimproved.... it was lovely earlier on and calm but the onshore breeze has now piped up a bit.

Such a beautiful day in Dublin, 20 degrees ar phoenix park in 3pm report. Garden day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like most had some sunshine today, fantastic day here near Tralee, blue skies all day and a beautiful evening now. Looks like we are entering a much warmer spell for most , improving from Tuesday and getting very warm Weds and Thurs and keeping on the warm side up to and over the June Bank Holiday weekend .

NASA Sat Pic from earlier today.

NOU60t7.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Co.Mayo coast just before 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I take it all back. It turned into a fabulous day!

Sat was so miserable great to be outdoors all day today.

Great looking forecast from met eireann after the news. Looking like it might get up around 24-25 degrees later this week. Low 20s earlier in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

After a dull start today it turned out to be a cracker here.
    Looks like a clear skies so a good night for star gazing.
    Two passes of the iss this evening, first one at 10.05 - 10.12 W to E but will probably be too bright out for most.
    2nd bright pass at 11.42 - 11.47 W to E.

Also theres a Japanese Htv supply capsule due to dock with the Iss tomorrow that may be visible at 11.10 - 11.15 W to E, it wont be near as bright and may be confused with other satellites going W to E.

And after sunset look N,West
    dCtnpecPE5aEsESHSJq96E-970-80.jpg

On wednesday 27 May 2020 at 21:33 UK time . A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will blast off from Cape Canaveral and will pass over Ireland about 10 minutes later.

Probably a bit to bright here in the west but some in the east may get a glimpse.

• Advertisement

@ lolie. great view of all 3 now out west. Very thin Crescent Moon. lovely evening for viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

On wednesday 27 May 2020 at 21:33 UK time . A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will blast off from Cape Canaveral and will pass over Ireland about 10 minutes later.

Probably a bit to bright here in the west but some in the east may get a glimpse.

Doubtful. I'm in Bray on the East coast and put the bins out tonight at 21.40 and it was still too bright to see anything Astronomical.

Nice sunny morning here but that wind, while not as strong a recently, is still there. There is no comfort in it and my little budding flowers are just being skinned alive.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭snowgal

nice day here in Meath. But yes that pesky breeze is back, making a feel abit colder. Still looks like we're in for a very good week weather wise so Im not complaining!

What a beautiful morning in D5. This has been an epic spell of weather since March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭compsys

Just looking at yesterday's temps for Dublin Airport.

According to the hourly readings it was 9 degrees at 11pm and 8 degrees at midnight last night i.e. late evening of 24th. However the overnight low was given as 5.7 according to the figures for yesterday. Could this be true? As the temp didn't fall to 5 degrees until around 3 in the morning of 25th (the temps for 1am to 6am i.e. early morning of 24th were around 11 degrees so it wasn't that the 5.7 temps was from the previous 'day' if that makes sense).

I've noticed this a few times over the past few days where the overnight low ends up being a fair bit lower than the 11pm/midnight reading on the hourly reports. Anyone any thoughts?

compsys wrote: »
    Just looking at yesterday's temps for Dublin Airport.

According to the hourly readings it was 9 degrees at 11pm and 8 degrees at midnight last night i.e. late evening of 24th. However the overnight low was given as 5.7 according to the figures for yesterday. Could this be true? As the temp didn't fall to 5 degrees until around 3 in the morning of 25th (the temps for 1am to 6am i.e. early morning of 24th were around 11 degrees so it wasn't that the 5.7 temps was from the previous 'day' if that makes sense).

I've noticed this a few times over the past few days where the overnight low ends up being a fair bit lower than the 11pm/midnight reading on the hourly reports. Anyone any thoughts?

The Dub report at 1am was 6.0c (so prob 5.7c) which would probably mean that was carried back into yesterday's report, given that (I think) the daily maxima and minima are measured within UTC time rather than summer time

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

:cool: Delighted it looks like a gorgeous week ahead. Looks cooler by Friday but lots of sunshine and decent temps. Can't ask for much better.

Fantastic forecast for the week. Some places could see into the mid 20s I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭compsys

The Dub report at 1am was 6.0c (so prob 5.7c) which would probably mean that was carried back into yesterday's report, given that (I think) the daily maxima and minima are measured within UTC time rather than summer time

Well that would make sense. Often a big difference in temp at DA between midnight and 1am.

Advertisement