Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    We don't live in a fascist state - at least the last time I checked anyway.

No, instead we ostensibly live in a society where people act not just for their own good, but for the good of others. Anyway, what does this have to do with the weather hmm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: There is a whole other forum on Boards for debating restrictions. Leave discussion here to weather please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy again in cork city this morning, about 15 degrees atm. Hopefully it brightens up later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another Beautiful day here in D5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

People shocked at my suggestion this could be the only nice weekend of the summer ? It could very well happen, especially as the last 2 or 3 months have been so nice, averages say we wont get nice weather for the whole year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

MJohnston wrote: »
    No, instead we ostensibly live in a society where people act not just for their own good, but for the good of others. Anyway, what does this have to do with the weather hmm?

Why ask this of me, and not yourself or the poster I responded too... hmmm? :confused:

Anyway, nice if very warm out already.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful sunny morning here in Meath. Local area has low 20's forecasted everyday from tomorrow until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looking at sat24 looks like it's just the south has cloud again. Doesn't look like it will burn off until this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭compsys

US2 wrote: »
    People shocked at my suggestion this could be the only nice weekend of the summer ? It could very well happen, especially as the last 2 or 3 months have been so nice, averages say we wont get nice weather for the whole year.

You have a point. Our luck has to run out eventually.

I said before that I almost wouldn't have minded some bad weather in May if it meant some more good weather in late June and July. Anything in August would have been a bonus.

Also, any good weather up until mid May is usually useless in Dublin in terms of heat because of the sea breeze. So for me good weather in June, July and August is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

People shocked at my suggestion this could be the only nice weekend of the summer ?

I am quite shocked as this weekend is still Spring. Monday is the first day of summer but the regular weekend days of Saturday and Sunday are still in the season of Spring. So I wouldn't be able to suggest that a weekend in Spring could be the only nice weekend of the summer season as it makes no sense.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    I am quite shocked as this weekend is still Spring. Monday is the first day of summer but the regular weekend days of Saturday and Sunday are still in the season of Spring. So I wouldn't be able to suggest that a weekend in Spring could be the only nice weekend of the summer season as it makes no sense.

This bank holiday monday is the 1st of summer isnt it?

This is Ireland remember. Youd swear we get decent summers. 1 (ONE) decent weekend in the whole three months of summer last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes, Bank Holiday Monday is the first day of the summer. This coming Saturday and Sunday constitute the weekend and both of those days are within the season of Spring. Bank Holiday Monday is a weekday, it just so happens to be a public holiday. Monday is always a weekday whether it be a public holiday or not. The weekend of 6/7th June is the first weekend of the summer.

In light of the discussion on here, I plotted this graph which shows the average daily total (within a running 7 day period) for the April - August period the last 10 years Graph is based on the 'IMT' 11 station grid.

cS2FlMv.png

(Data c/o Met Eireann)

Values themselves are not really worth looking at, but the trend is interesting, with drier periods more likely to occur during April, May and June, while rainfalls tend to become more 'reliable' in nature during July (particularly late) and August. Similar pattern again this year perhaps? Maybe, maybe not. My hunch (which counts for nothing) is though that August this year will stand apart from its more recent norm.

New Moon

highdef wrote: »
    Yes, Bank Holiday Monday is the first day of the summer. This coming Saturday and Sunday constitute the weekend and both of those days are within the season of Spring. Bank Holiday Monday is a weekday, it just so happens to be a public holiday. Monday is always a weekday whether it be a public holiday or not. The weekend of 6/7th June is the first weekend of the summer.

If we were to use a pedantic Meteorological method to pin point the summer season in Ireland, then the mid June to mid September period is that, as this period has the highest running 91 day temperature average of the year (based on the '81-'10 climate period)

New Moon

This is Ireland remember. Youd swear we get decent summers. 1 (ONE) decent weekend in the whole three months of summer last year.

July until August were nice in the East.

In fact the ENTIRE country had above average temps in July according to Met E while most stations away from west coast had above average temps in August too.

Summer 2019 wasn’t quite the disaster people think it was. In Dublin at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah but at the same time, you've also had it this good, this long. Look on the bright side.

Asbolutely enjoying every moment of it - becasue I know we have to while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Are wind directions that come over the Atlantic 'cloudier' (pick up more moisture thus more clouds is it)?? Lots of cloud bubbled up here in D9 now after a lovely morning. High pressure is almost slap bang over us and much of Munster and S.Leinster seem to be clouding over. Never seem to have the issue at least here in D9 with easterly winds, as much as they take the shine off the temperature. Enlighten me!

compsys wrote: »
    July until August were nice in the East.

In fact the ENTIRE country had above average temps in July according to Met E while most stations away from west coast had above average temps in August too.

Temperature being slightly above average means nothing. Not much point going to the beach enjoying the warm rain or thick overcast.
    It was just an opinion anyway, I'm no weather expert

Over 260mm here in August alone (after over 130mm in July) and even more than that in Athenry. I love that weather, but I imagine it would be considered a total disaster for those who don't.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

400mm of rain last summer in Castlebar and a June where the mean temperature was down over 3C on the previous year coupled with an August with over 230mm of rain, any length of a prolonged dry and warm spell will be an improvement on last summer especially after how nice the last two months have mainly been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First day of the year that is both warm and noticeably humid for me.

Temperature being slightly above average means nothing. Not much point going to the beach enjoying the warm rain or thick overcast.
    It was just an opinion anyway, I'm no weather expert

Rainfall totals were also well below average in most places in July (exceptions being Belmullet and Claremorris stations). And in Dublin sunshine was above average.

So most stations had above average temps, below average rainfall and above average sunshine for July. The Dublin area had all three. I'm not quite sure what people expect from an Irish summer.

It was by no means exceptional but not up there with the worst. However there was a big east/west split.

And June was a terrible month for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Last summer was bang average, just suffering by comparison with 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

John.Icy wrote: »
    Are wind directions that come over the Atlantic 'cloudier' (pick up more moisture thus more clouds is it)?? Lots of cloud bubbled up here in D9 now after a lovely morning. High pressure is almost slap bang over us and much of Munster and S.Leinster seem to be clouding over. Never seem to have the issue at least here in D9 with easterly winds, as much as they take the shine off the temperature. Enlighten me!

Cleared up nicely now and is lovely out. D9.

And June was a terrible month for everyone.

Was it? You seem to have a poor concept of what 'terrible' is :o Even in the Dublin region, all stations recorded below 100mm that month, and while temps came in a little below average, it wasn't a cold or even cool month by any stretch.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clear blue skies here in Castlebar.mount dillon 20 degrees @3pm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Was it? You seem to have a poor concept of what 'terrible' is :o Even in the Dublin region, all stations recorded below 100mm that month, and while temps came in a little below average, it wasn't a cold or even cool month by any stretch.

Why are you using 100mm as a reference? The average is 65mm a month in Dublin. Of course the stations would be likely to have less than 100mm.

100mm is a lot of rain for one month in the East. I wouldn't be using that as a benchmark for how 'dry' or 'good' a month was. That's just ridiculous.

All three Dublin stations had ABOVE average rainfall and BELOW average temps for June. While it warmed up at the end of the month the temp failed to crack even 12 degrees on several days last June.

Everyone feels weather differently of course but even from a statistical point of view it was a poor enough month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Not true, Phoenix park has regularly been the warmest location in Ireland recently looking at all met eireann stations across the country.
    You have a point. Our luck has to run out eventually.

I said before that I almost wouldn't have minded some bad weather in May if it meant some more good weather in late June and July. Anything in August would have been a bonus.

Also, any good weather up until mid May is usually useless in Dublin in terms of heat because of the sea breeze. So for me good weather in June, July and August is the best.

Why are you using 100mm as a reference? The average is 65mm a month in Dublin. Of course the stations would be likely to have less than 100mm.

100mm is a lot of rain for one month in the East. I wouldn't be using that as a benchmark for how 'dry' or 'good' a month was. That's just ridiculous.

All three Dublin stations had ABOVE average rainfall and BELOW average temps for June. While it warmed up at the end of the month the temp failed to crack even 12 degrees on several days last June.

Everyone feels weather differently of course but even from a statistical point of view it was a poor enough month.

I use that benchmark because Dublin did not surpass it during that month, yet you seem to think it was a terrible month, but the huge amounts we had in the west during the 2nd half of that season somehow equals an OK summer (from your point of view)

> 100mm in a month is not exactly a huge amount of rain for any part of Ireland regardless of whether it is above average or not, and that just isn't me saying that from a western perspective, because our average June and July average totals here are barely any higher than those in the east.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fairly sunny morning with cloudy intervals in west Clare, but in the last hour the cloud his disappeared and now it's amazingly sunny and feeling very warm. Mostly calm too!

Only 18.3°c currently but feeling much warmer in the sun. Met Éireann app showing 27°c in my location on Thursday! Would be quite incredible indeed. I'd expect more like 24/25°c.

Advertisement