Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got a little burned in the garden yesterday in Donegal.

Probably best I'm working from home today, that should keep me out of the sun for good part of day.

But another glorious morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Wild morning here in a breeze that would skin you.

Its actually a warmish breeze , sun is shining too.

Another dull grey day in cork city. Still strong gusts of wind too gusting.uo.to.66km/h atm, not sure about yesterday but that seemed to be stronger again. Trees in full leave make it sound loud. Crazy looking at your pictures of the sunsets and stuff, it's like a different country!

We had plenty of sun yesterday in Cork City. Overall, despite having a few wet days, the weather has been great here for over six weeks. I'm not sure I've had suntan at this time of the year before...The weather didn't break until the start of May in 2018 so I'll take what are getting at the moment any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

We had plenty of sun yesterday in Cork City. Overall, despite having a few wet days, the weather has been great here for over six weeks. I'm not sure I've had suntan at this time of the year before...The weather didn't break until the start of May in 2018 so I'll take what are getting at the moment any time.

Wouldn't have exactly called it sun, it was hazy not the pure blue skies up the country are getting but not as dull as today is either. Agreed the weather last week and the week before was lovely, got a bit of a colour myself. Relative in Dublin has a lot nicer and warmer weather though for the last few weeks!

Wouldn't have exactly called it sun, it was hazy not the pure blue skies up the country are getting but not as dull as today is either. Agreed the weather last week and the week before was lovely, got a bit of a colour myself. Relative in Dublin has a lot nicer and warmer weather though for the last few weeks!

Yeah, it's been warmer and drier in Dublin but overall we are doing pretty well, the few wet days aside. Once you can get out and it's not raining then I'd consider that good spring weather. Looks like the forecast for this week is much better for us than what was being forecast so another bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

US2 wrote: »
    Its actually a warmish breeze , sun is shining too.

Not here it’s not it’s freezing and blustery. No sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Clear blue skies in Donegal again with some fair weather cloud.

One annoying constant and my main complaint throughout this spell is the wind though, every single day there's an annoying chilly breeze that means I have to find the right corner in the garden for shelter. Still hasn't been a single day I'd class as warm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Wild morning here in a breeze that would skin you.

yep first thing I noticed when I went outside, today is definitely on the nippy side, that easterly wind is much stonger today. The jumper will be back on when I take a walk later. Currently a chilly 9C. Temperatures should start to improve from tomorrow as we lose that easterly breeze later in the week. Thursday and Friday look like being the best days temperature rise but it will be become more showery. Temperatures crash again from Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

In terms of sunshine, the weather has been excellent in Dublin for around six weeks now with barely a drop of rain. However, in terms of temps, it's remained within the 13 to 15c range almost every day, bar two or three days when it got close to 20 degrees. So Dublin has kind of missed out on the really warm weather too.

For warmth, set-ups like these are wasted this early in the summer for those on the East coast as the sea breeze keeps everything too cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cold and overcast, doesn't look like it'll rain though. Sun blazing up the country I see :(

• Advertisement

Still some strong gusts of wind here in cork city, and normal wind of about 37km/h which sounds loud with the trees in leaf! Started to drizzle now too but dont expect it to last long. About 8/9 degrees with an even lower windchill I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bright and blue skies in Castlebar, 16C but feeling a bit colder with a light breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

compsys wrote: »
    However, in terms of temps, it's remained within the 13 to 15c range almost every day, bar two or three days when it got close to 20 degrees. So Dublin has kind of missed out on the really warm weather too.

For warmth, set-ups like these are wasted this early in the summer for those on the East coast as the sea breeze keeps everything too cool.

The easterly/southeast breezes really do take the good out of any warmth that's going at this time of the year and it can affect a large portion of the country too, most of Leinster, much of Ulster as well as Munster, even into parts of the midlands.

These sort of setups would be at their best in August and early September when sea temperatures are at their warmest, but unfortunately August is almost guaranteed to be crap every year with the PV starting to charge up and zonality/the westerlies ramping up at the same time.

The sweet spot is high pressure just to our east with gentle south-westerlies over the country while still remaining sunny. Unfortunately by the time we swing the winds away from an easterly to a south-westerly the more unsettled conditions are usually too close for comfort and we lose any potential spikes in warmth that's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Stunning day again in Wicklow. First day being able to get to the sea with the new 5k radius. Bit of a breeze but not as cold as it was a few days back.

96090647_166545758151313_8450714025964077056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=GTViUnb3k7wAX8LB-7M&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=6d26a2fa267bb903a34626b19ec24d0a&oe=5ED6C19D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its lashing sun in Sligo....since lockdown cant remember many wet days bar Paddys Day.

Even last week there was rain one day but only 5.5mm

8 plus hours of sun most days

Horrible afternoon here now. Heavy drizzle overcast windy and cold. Enjoy that good weather folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »

The sweet spot is high pressure just to our east with gentle south-westerlies over the country while still remaining sunny.

Sorry for being pedantic but regarding the above I assume you mean gentle south-easterlies ?

You’re so right about August, the westerlies always seem to get going in that month and spoils summer for all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Stunning day in Wicklow again. Not a cloud, wall to wall sunshine. Plastered in suncream. Only a very gentle breeze in my garden but I'm a little sheltered.

esposito wrote: »
    Sorry for being pedantic but regarding the above I assume you mean gentle south-easterlies ?

You’re so right about August, the westerlies always seem to get going in that month and spoils summer for all of us.

I mean south-westerlies, but very light south-easterlies can be good too. The problem with south-westerlies is they bring damp, cloud and rain much of the time.

The sweet spot that i'm on about is a rarity in Ireland and more common in the UK, particularly their SE. High pressures move in and we get gentle easterly or south-easterly breezes which keep it nice and settled but the expense of sea temperatures modifying the warmth. Generally when the high pressure starts to move to the east the winds can switch more to the south or south-west. This normally brings a rise in temperatures but more often than not it brings cloud or rain to Ireland, but sometimes if you can get this while still under the influence of high pressure with a sunny day, the temperatures can rise by several degrees producing a very warm or hot day before everything breaks down.

2013Lara wrote: »
    Stunning day in Wicklow again. Not a cloud, wall to wall sunshine. Plastered in suncream. Only a very gentle breeze in my garden but I'm a little sheltered.

beautiful day here in Meath tho, unbroken sunshine since this morning, just a pity about that sea breeze really taking the warmth out of the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    The easterly/southeast breezes really do take the good out of any warmth that's going at this time of the year and it can affect a large portion of the country too, most of Leinster, much of Ulster as well as Munster, even into parts of the midlands.

These sort of setups would be at their best in August and early September when sea temperatures are at their warmest, but unfortunately August is almost guaranteed to be crap every year with the PV starting to charge up and zonality/the westerlies ramping up at the same time.

The sweet spot is high pressure just to our east with gentle south-westerlies over the country while still remaining sunny. Unfortunately by the time we swing the winds away from an easterly to a south-westerly the more unsettled conditions are usually too close for comfort and we lose any potential spikes in warmth that's going.

I find from June onwards there's a hope of getting to 20 or 21, which can feel very pleasant with the sun at its highest.

However if you're looking for real warmth in the East, then August or early September like you say can really only deliver with this type of set-up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A grim cloudy misty drizzly breezy day here in mid Cork with frequent bursts of heavier rain. The south of the country got by far the worst of the conditions today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Bit of a breeze today
    Mix of clouds and sunshine. Forecast of rain. Even felt it in the air and the clouds didn't release one drop. My garden needs a free hours of rain.

Currently 9.5C

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I can't believe it's *still* raining.
    All day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

It was a breezier day in the west today but we still had a very decent day and another lovely evening in this current spell of weather that has been kind to these parts.
    Below is a picture of the sun setting behind Burren Hill in Co. Mayo this eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I can't believe it's *still* raining.
    All day long.

You certainly got the worst of it today. even now at Cork Airport: 9 degrees in light rain and drizzle ,2km vis,overcast at 200 feet. miserable.

Meanwhile Dublin airport: Plus 10 km vis with few clouds at 4,000 feet. nice night

ME forecast last night talking about near calm conditions across the county yesterday except for those on the south coast??? I had to pinch myself and check the map to see exactly where I am living but I can confirm it’s nowhere near the south coast. It looked like a classic case of it was a lovely day in Dublin as I saw on the news so everywhere must be the same. This morning is a continuation of yesterday overcast cool and breezy but definitely not as windy as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

After a cloudy and cool morning the cloud is beginning to burn off. You can see it on the satellite images. It could be a lovely day again.

Wind has finally died off in cork city, about 10 degrees but still grey skies and everything is damp from the rain yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another stunning morning in Kildare

Advertisement