Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Is there a new convective thread some thunderstorms mentioned in the news for later

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Is there a new convective thread some thunderstorms mentioned in the news for later

There is....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058058601

Turned into a fine afternoon in Dublin. Mostly sunny. 14.1c atm in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭lolie

Very nice mild afternoon here after a cold dull start.
    Venus clearly visible in the daytime sky again.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    There is....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058058601

Turned into a fine afternoon in Dublin. Mostly sunny. 14.1c atm in Dublin 16.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cold wet evening here now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Rains back here too
    5.6mm
    8.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I see Met Eireann have rowed back on some of the bad weather forecast for the weekend. Friday, Saturday and Monday looking good for my part of the south east anyway which is definitely at odds with what the charts were saying earlier. I'd take that if it came to pass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I see Met Eireann have rowed back on some of the bad weather forecast for the weekend. Friday, Saturday and Monday looking good for my part of the south east anyway which is definitely at odds with what the charts were saying earlier. I'd take that if it came to pass.

both GFS and ECM not as bad as yesterday's and this mornings charts. High pressure could be back on the table for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

May is a very fickle month for weather with the Polar Vortex usually dead so blocked patterns are more prone to happen than westerlies. I think either or is realistically possible at this time though.

At the moment, the stratospheric polar vortex has finally gone into summer hibernation mode after clinging onto its fingertips for so so long this winter in a record-breaking or very strong amplitude of westerlies but the lower strat remains in a westerly state for now. We've had a much less sudden descent to easterlies in the stratosphere this spring and in theory, this should mean less of a "major" impact on the Northern Hemisphere compared to 2019 which saw the final warming giving off the effects of a major SSW and set up the extremely blocked pattern in the northern latitudes for the summer.

Continue to wait and see what the models have to say on the matter.

This April has been the best since 2015 in my opinion. I wasn't too bothered by the onshore breeze knocking back the temperatures here on the east coast for a lot of it although it did get annoying the odd day. Many pleasant sunny days on offer which I tried to make the most of with my 2km walks. This spring in general so far has been very good weather wise. If we somehow manage a good May out of it too which is unlikely right now in my opinion, it'd be up there with the best springs for me. Huge improvement on the autumn and winter we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    May is a very fickle month for weather with the Polar Vortex usually dead so blocked patterns are more prone to happen than westerlies. I think either or is realistically possible at this time though.

At the moment, the stratospheric polar vortex has finally gone into summer hibernation mode after clinging onto its fingertips for so so long this winter in a record-breaking or very strong amplitude of westerlies but the lower strat remains in a westerly state for now. We've had a much less sudden descent to easterlies in the stratosphere this spring and in theory, this should mean less of a "major" impact on the Northern Hemisphere compared to 2019 which saw the final warming giving off the effects of a major SSW and set up the extremely blocked pattern in the northern latitudes for the summer.

Continue to wait and see what the models have to say on the matter.

This April has been the best since 2015 in my opinion. I wasn't too bothered by the onshore breeze knocking back the temperatures here on the east coast for a lot of it although it did get annoying the odd day. Many pleasant sunny days on offer which I tried to make the most of with my 2km walks. This spring in general so far has been very good weather wise. If we somehow manage a good May out of it too which is unlikely right now in my opinion, it'd be up there with the best springs for me. Huge improvement on the autumn and winter we had.
    Good to see you posting again Sryan! I'd say this is my favourite April, we've had an incredible amount of sunny weather and a lack of rainfall. March was decent but definitely not as good as April.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah currently Fri looking like some showery weather about, some heavy maybe thundery in places.

Sat a lot of dry weather some showers in Northern counties , later rain in Munster into early Sunday but looking like a lot of dry weather on Sunday.
    Monday currently looks dry with that HP building so quite a change in the charts again.
    Will it stick at that ? Must be said that the GFS looking wetter than the ECM, ICON very similar to the better forecast from ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry end to the day in Castlebar with some nice clear skies up towards the north west and still brightness left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    This spring in general so far has been very good weather wise. If we somehow manage a good May out of it too which is unlikely right now in my opinion, it'd be up there with the best springs for me. Huge improvement on the autumn and winter we had.

This Spring is also a massive improvement on Spring last year, certainly doesn't feel nearly as chilly with a couple of exceptions like today. Today reminded me a lot of the majority of June 2019.

If we can pull off a half decent May I would nearly put this in the best seasonal spell of weather since Summer 2018. Nothing memorable or exciting throughout 2019 as it had a poor winter,cold Spring, average to poor summer and then mid September to most of this winter was a complete horror show.

I'm not expecting this May to be great but I think we will bag a few really nice days somewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely morning here near Tralee, 22.2mm in the gauge this morning. Snow on the Slieve Mish Mountains in the distance

xEDGwwX.jpg?1

qTwPsHY.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Winds of change today/last night!
    Quite unusual to see such persistent winds from a northerly vector for so long.
    monthwindvec.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heatwave ahoy! Well high teens certainly looks possible as a southern airflow becomes established for a few days next week.

Got my winter socks on today though :(

not a nice day here in Meath, sure there are some nice sunny spells but there are frequent but short lived showers of hail every now and then and it is also very chilly, currently only 9C.

edit: very heavy shower here now, heavy rain with ice pellets mixed in, rumbles of thunder and a flash of lightning, temperature down to 7C.

You would be forgiven for thinking that this is the 1st of March rather than the 1st of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Generally, April 2020 wasn't as dry as April 2017 for Irish stations with a few exceptions (although I know which one I MUCH preferred). For example, Belmullet with 23.6mm had its driest April since 1980. Cork stations were close to average in contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

What a mad day that turned out to be weather wise.

Put my clothes out on washing line this morning lovely + sunny + warm.

3 hailstones shows later I brought them back in + they were actually icey cold due to hailstones at the start of May!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jimmynokia wrote: »

God I hate that guy. His comments on the Journal are insufferable, especially when it comes to cycling. He blocked me on twitter for saying he looked like a poor man's Shaun Ryder.

God I hate that guy. His comments on the Journal are insufferable, especially when it comes to cycling. He blocked me on twitter for saying he looked like a poor man's Shaun Ryder.

What's that to do with the weather and what's wrong with an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a nice day in Cork City. Raining now but was sunny this afternoon. Back garden is a sun trap with little wind so when the sun was out was very warm, side garden had the wind though and was a lot colder. Needless to stay we stayed in the back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another great day with near unbroken sunshine in Donegal, a few more average days during the week with some much needed rainfall but even then it was just a few hours of rain on Wednesday and the odd shower on Thursday/Friday.

Forecast looks great for the week ahead as well, the term 'lockdown weather' might take over from leaving cert weather the longer this goes on, turning into one of the sunniest spells in memory for me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Based on present guidance it looks like a north- south split for much of next week, so northern counties might stay fine all week, where as southern counties will see heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Another great day with near unbroken sunshine in Donegal, a few more average days during the week with some much needed rainfall but even then it was just a few hours of rain on Wednesday and the odd shower on Thursday/Friday.

Forecast looks great for the week ahead as well, the term 'lockdown weather' might take over from leaving cert weather the longer this goes on, turning into one of the sunniest spells in memory for me

Have to cut the bloody lawn again :D

Not complaining it’s been an unbelievable spell of weather

Based on present guidance it looks like a north- south split for much of next week, so northern counties might stay fine all week, where as southern counties will see heavy rain.

yeah a bit of a mixed bag of a week to come, but many parts of the country will have some dry weather this week and this could be one of the dryer weeks we have this May as the rest of it has the potential to be quite unsettled generally.

A bit of a chilly start to the week too but temperatures should lift up into the mid to high teens in the second half of this week and into next weekend. However next weekend is also looking a bit more showery and less settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ah thats sad to hear :( Feel like we've had some worse weather down here then the the rest but hopefully a long warm spell soon!

Cloudy this morning in Cork City, different then yesterday. Rain stopped for now though. About 10 degrees at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unbelievable day again in south mayo

For me this has been the best run of weather in years . Mainly due to the timing of it and the fact that so often a forecasted bad day has turned out so nice
    Opposite land!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

km79 wrote: »
    Unbelievable day again in south mayo

For me this has been the best run of weather in years . Mainly due to the timing of it and the fact that so often a forecasted bad day has turned out so nice
    Opposite land!!!!!!

Glorious day here again in Dublin although you would need a hoodie if you’re by the coast with that chilly easterly breeze.

Dublin and Wicklow should be far enough north to escape the rain coming up from the south during this week. Looking a bit warmer Thursday and Friday too.

Advertisement