Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another nice day in Meath but wouldn't be nearly as good as yesterday or the day before, much more cloudy and hazy sunshine at best. Still fairly warm at 17C, it might get to 18C if we get some stronger sunshine later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Amazing how there are so many more bees around now that there are no people around spraying pesticide and weed killer...I saw more bees in a short walk than I have seen in years...you can also hear all the wildlife now that there is very little noise from traffic...seems lockdown is a great thing for wildlife anyway

Your imagining things I'm afraid. Farmers haven't stopped working or spraying. Even if they did, 2 weeks would have zero impact on the bee population in early April. You can hear birds that's it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temperatures lowering across some eastern areas with sea breezes. I was in a t-shirt earlier on but have put the jumper back on and temperature down to 15C from 17C during mid morning. Highest temperatures across the west with eastern areas 3 to 4C cooler due to the onshore winds.

temp_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

21c forecast for Dublin on Saturday and no clouds, according to RTE. Why do the Gods mock us so?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

20.0C here in Kilkenny, can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

21c forecast for Dublin on Saturday and no clouds, according to RTE. Why do the Gods mock us so?

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD/status/1247875592533487617

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 15 degrees in Cork City. Lovely when the sun is out but if the narrowest of clouds goes over it then its cold. Shows the difference between summer and spring!

A chilly 11C in parts of coastal Dublin, that sea breeze really taking the heat out of the sun. Still nice enough in Meath, currently 14C.

Similar in the UK, single digits along many north sea coasts and much higher further west.

Tomorrow looks warmer for Leinster with less of an annoying easterly breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    A chilly 11C in parts of coastal Dublin, that sea breeze really taking the heat out of the sun. Still nice enough in Meath, currently 14C.

Similar in the UK, single digits along many north sea coasts and much higher further west.

Tomorrow looks warmer for Leinster with less of an annoying easterly breeze.
    I can see a 9c in Dublin under the 11c on the chart you just posted. 6c in northeastern England is quite ridiculous!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 20.3C here near Tralee with good clear sunny spells ,high cloud about now but locking in the warmth and still 15.7C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Today was a big let down here in North County Dublin.

Started off promising in morning but then sun disappeared behind the clouds.

I was too warm yesterday so put tshirt on today. Brrrrrrrrr it didn't last long with sea breeze.

Still grand day just disappointing compared to what was promised.

appledrop wrote: »
    Today was a big let down here in North County Dublin.

Started off promising in morning but then sun disappeared behind the clouds.

I was too warm yesterday so put tshirt on today. Brrrrrrrrr it didn't last long with sea breeze.

Still grand day just disappointing compared to what was promised.

tomorrow should be better for Leinster, especially the east coast where it may be warm enough to put on a t-shirt again. Could get to 19C in parts of inland Dublin tomorrow vs the low teens they had today.

arpegeuk-41-27-0.png?09-17

East and South holds onto the last bit of warmth on Saturday, but temperatures slightly down on Friday

arpegeuk-41-51-0.png?09-18

Sunday will be a shock to the system with single digits across much of the country.

arpegeuk-41-72-0.png?09-18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Much warmer out there this morning even without the sun. Beautiful when sun comes out.

appledrop wrote: »
    Much warmer out there this morning even without the sun. Beautiful when sun comes out.

the difference the onshore easterly winds make is enormous, especially at this time of the year during 'warm uppers'. It can make the difference between sunshine with 9C and sunshine with 18C. Even during May the easterly breeze's can still knock alot off. May 2018 was a classic example when parts of the west had high twenties while the east coast were still mid to high teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

It has been a beautiful spring morning here in Central Mayo. Birds are in full voice and the trees and hedgerows are really bursting into life. The recent spell of relatively dry weather has been such a welcome reprieve from the rains that seemed endless at one stage.
    A very pleasant 15c at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sunny in Arklow atm
    Hardly a breath of wind and touching 17c
    Superb
    I'm going for a stroll on the beach again today :)

This will probably be the warmest day of the year so far for many places, and we may not see this sort of temperatures again till sometime in May. Could get close to 20C in a few places today, a few eastern spots could still tip the high teens tomorrow if there is any sunshine. By Sunday most places will be lucky to see 10C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Looking like tomorrow for my corner of Cork, forecasting 19C :)

Very hazy today keeping the temp down to mid teens.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Looking like tomorrow for my corner of Cork, forecasting 19C :)

Very hazy today keeping the temp down to mid teens.

Hazy but less of a breeze and still some sunlight! Feels much warmer then yesterday I think

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yesterday at my location it was 20.0C, today it got to 20.3C, so two fairly consistent warm days.
    Currently 17.7C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

One of the weather presenters was saying the other day that we badly needed rain, i must say i was not expecting to hear that after all the rain we've had in recent times!

One of the weather presenters was saying the other day that we badly needed rain, i must say i was not expecting to hear that after all the rain we've had in recent times!

Have they not learned since 2018 that we need to store rainwater? We get enough of it. Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like some fairly heavy pulses of rain in the east and south on Sunday, looks unpleasant in a brisk enough N-NE wind and fairly cold too

iconeu_uk1-2-51-0.png?10-17

iconeu_uk1-0-49-0.png?10-17

I was amazed by that too, the land has just about recovered from the 7 month deluge. Now I would like 6 months of very dry conditions and let it rain from October.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dark murky wet evening here in Castlebar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A lovely still and balmy evening in Cork City centre.

No crowds, no noise, little traffic...

I will miss some parts of the "lockdown" when it's over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Overcast from high cloud and hazy, mild getting up to 17.1C , a few drops on and off for a time late afternoon.

Great to see activity on the land on the way home from work here in Kerry, sowing potatoes I believe .

WqkGk2N.jpg?1

Casement reached 20.1C earlier today, a fantastic temperature for the time of year.

Reached 19C in Dunshaughlin today despite the very hazy conditions.

Unreal morning in Cork city. Blue skies, about 16 degrees and can only see it getting nicer. Shame that tomorrow is gonna be such a shock but a bit of a taste of summer today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We're gonna miss this when the weather breaks and turns northerly - that said it looks like a short disruption with temps recovering from midweek.

Advertisement