Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why did Dublin split for the hurlers when Fingal emerged?

They didnt split, Fingal was a development squad to bring on players in North County Dublin, hurlers in the Fingal catchment area could still play for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Fingal had no senior club players when it began. It had no impact whatsoever on the senior set up apart from one chap whose name currently escapes me who had played underage county and might have gotten a couple of runs senior.,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bambi wrote: »
    They didnt split, Fingal was a development squad to bring on players in North County Dublin, hurlers in the Fingal catchment area could still play for Dublin.
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Fingal had no senior club players when it began. It had no impact whatsoever on the senior set up apart from one chap whose name currently escapes me who had played underage county and might have gotten a couple of runs senior.,

Yeah the Dublin County Board identified Fingal, as a weak area for Dublin hurling.

It ran for less than 10 years from 08 ish I think.

I don't know if you could call it a success or not maybe more of a experiment.

Scrapped in 2016, because clubs gave out about calendar fixture congestion

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/sport/gaa/county-committee-calls-time-on-fingal-hurling-project-35042319.html

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So did we win?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bonniedog wrote: »

Theres a few lads who were/are on the Dublin senior panel who got their first taste of inter county with Fingal, its should have been kept going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

So did we win?

Just. The Bench got us over the line

Bambi wrote: »
    Theres a few lads who were/are on the Dublin senior panel who got their first taste of inter county with Fingal, its should have been kept going.

I thought it was a good idea. a few lads who played junior with us got trials.

It was a good target for junior and inter players in north county to aim at, but of course the big boys in the clubs thought differently. For a county board that had no difficulty staging non senior hurling matches at the same time as county hurling teams were playing, i found that a bit ironic!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Splitting Dublin is the most defeatist thing I've ever heard of in sport, ever!

Jesus, a third one!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

How dare Dublin reap the benefits of their talent, it's just not fair on everyone else that they are so good, how dare this be allowed in the new Ireland, it's all the fault of the patriarchy, every county should get a Sam Maguire Cup. All the culchies should boycott Croke Park in protest at this outrage. Toxic townies!!! Defund the Dubs!!!! :D

So another Dublin Mayo final by looks of it.

Looking forward to playing against there defence though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So another Dublin Mayo final by looks of it.

Looking forward to playing against there defence though!
    I'd say Rock, Kilkenny and Con are thinking the same thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Cavan man here, no sour grapes here. Well done a great performance. I do feel it was a tighter game than the scoreline suggests. Cavan kicked some stupid stupid wides at least 8 of them scoreable.

On the side note about funding, Cavan are in the process of spending millions on a centre of excellence, where as this money could be used to employ full time coaches in schools, employ coaches for clubs etc.... Its not about money it's how it is spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think we see the downside of Cavan and tipp winning their provinces neither fit to play in semi finals awful stuff .

Get ready lads, we are coming for ye

How did Cavan and Tipp get this far!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Looking forward to dubs Mayo . Always a cracking contest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Well hammer mayo harder than meath if this mayo defense shows up.

Mayo will give us plenty we have beaten poor teams so would expect a tight contest hope i am wrong and we do the buiness handy but Mayo defo in with a good chance i feel .

How did Cavan and Tipp get this far!?

Covid 19 and a sh!te provincial system.

Mayo will give us plenty we have beaten poor teams so would expect a tight contest hope i am wrong and we do the buiness handy but Mayo defo in with a good chance i feel .

I think it will about a margin of 8 ish. Mayo need goals though. Plus what is Dessie like on the sideline if put under pressure?

• Advertisement

That is a point about the side line it could be the first time to make changes while the game is up for grabs not just giving a few lads a bit of game time .I am always wary of Mayo and they have to win one sometime .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Covid 19 and a sh!te provincial system.

Yes, Cavan as a county had the worst Covid rates in the country when the championship started but it effected us less than everyone else in the province!

They have hammered Tipp here but look at how much they have given up as well. On another day Tipperary could have added another 4 or 5 goals to what they already have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Mayo fan here. Can't see mayo getting near Dublin in 2 weeks. That defence was shocking. Tipp should have had 4 goals before half time. And they walked through the defense a few times in the second half.
    For the good of the game im hoping the final is somewhat competitive. It likely won't be though.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Yes, Cavan as a county had the worst Covid rates in the country when the championship started but it effected us less than everyone else in the province!

You are missing the point coivd 19 caused the following:

1) Championship moved to winter

2) No Backdoor system

3) No super 8's

4) Rests for the main team that was leg weary - Dublin (imo)

5) Aussie lads remaining in Cork and Tipp respectively which helped skew Munster

6) I would argue some of the big guns were put out of sync by covid 19 - in Donegal and Kerry. Plus their performances looked like that to me (imo). Didn't look right. Fair play Cavan and Tipp took advantage.

Mayo fan here. Can't see mayo getting near Dublin in 2 weeks. That defence was shocking. Tipp should have had 4 goals before half time. And they walked through the defense a few times in the second half.
    For the good of the game im hoping the final is somewhat competitive. It likely won't be though.

Easier to play conservative, than having to learn how to attack though?

If I was Horan I would set it up cagey at the start and go for pace on the break.

He has learned enough in the last few years, going on about his transitions and the like on SKY!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

2) No Backdoor system

3) No super 8's

5) Aussie lads remaining in Cork and Tipp respectively which helped skew Munster

6) I would argue some of the big guns were put out of sync by covid 19 - in Donegal and Kerry. Plus their performances looked like that to me (imo). Didn't look right. Fair play Cavan and Tipp took advantage.

This should be interesting, Care to tell us why would Donegal and Kerry be more "put out" than Cavan or Tipperary due to covid 19??
    Cavan had the highest incidence rate of covid 19 in the country for a long time and had multiple panel members who missed weeks upon weeks due to positive tests and due to being close contacts. How were Donegal more "put out" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

2) No Backdoor system

3) No super 8's

No, I’m missing nothing. I just think you’re missing the point that every team were aware of the these changes. It didn’t seem to effect Donegal when they beat Tyrone and dismantled Armagh. Must have just been against Cavan that they realised Covid had hit the country.

I must go against gormdubh on this matter!

Cavan and Tipp won on their merits. Ulster was very tight and some good games. the argument that they might not have gotten to a semi final if "better" teams got a second chance - which they ought not to as I would favour a completely open draw - is neither here nor there. Cavan won Ulster and a right to be in a semi final. Both they and Tipp went down to the best teams of last 7/8 years.

• Advertisement

Cavan and Tipp of course won their titles on merit its just such one sided semi finals look pretty bad and give a poor impression of the championship .I was happy to play Cavan as i was fairly sure we would win and would love to play Tipp in the final because i would be almost sure we would win that as well .Leaving my Dublin bias aside the semi finals really shoul have four of the top sides which was not the case this year .

Advertisement