Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If the ladies win again he will start attacking them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Saturday night and lads losing their **** on boards. You love to see it. Imagine being that person. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Long may it continue makes the wins all the sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The other thread loses its mind anytime the dubs win! Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Defence has been superb the whole championship.

Best I've seen.

emmm not so sure about that, they leave spaces out the pitch for a decent runner who can break a tacke and then put the foot down. Mayo will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Bambi wrote:
    emmm not so sure about that, they leave spaces out the pitch for a decent runner who can break a tacke and then put the foot down. Mayo will be interesting.

Or tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The oul pocket orange peelers are now in melt down,
    They were all we will put up to the Dubs a few days ago. Now it’s the funding that bateem. I always remember a good Offaly man in our club that drove home the ethos of “Take your baten like a man”. I’m lucky that have met this Man.

Or tipp

No, Tipp wont be interesting other than from the historical perspective :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Slattsy wrote: »
    A great win. Thought that was a brilliant performance and I'm not sure they over extended themselves either..

Fair play to Cavan, if other teams (Meath) had a better attitude they might not have embarrassed themselves as much the other day. Every Cavan player put in a shift and played for the jersey, you could see them giving every ounce. Great to see.

Dublin played better against Meath and beat us by 21 I believe? Can't remember exactly.

Cavan also got trashed by 15 points. What world do we live in where the ulster champs losing by 15 is a positive? You destroyed the best ulster had to offer this year.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Dublin played better against Meath and beat us by 21 I believe? Can't remember exactly.

Cavan also got trashed by 15 points. What world do we live in where the ulster champs losing by 15 is a positive? You destroyed the best ulster had to offer this year.

How much do you think Cavan would have beaten Meath by? I'd say about 10
    I'd say Mayo and Galway about the same, Donegal and Kerry too, probably Tyrone. Tipp and Cork would bate Meath, Most of Ulster would. Roscommon too

We should split them all up until everyone is as crap as Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

And what about the absolute ineptitude of the county board in developing Gaelic games with the population at their disposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ArielAtom wrote: »
    And what about the absolute ineptitude of the Mordor county board in developing Gaelic games with the population at their disposal?

Apparently the young Meath boys don't want to play football as they're (allegedly) already concerned that they're going to get a hiding when their balls drop from a Dublin team. A fantastic attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bit of a fallacy really, do you think Dublin would have betaen Donegal by 15? I think perhaps not

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Bit of a fallacy really, do you think Dublin would have betaen Donegal by 15? I think perhaps not

The same Donegal team which even with the help of an atrocious referee giving them ridiculous decisions, couldn't beat Cavan. Dublin would wipe the floor with Donegal.
    The only team which are capable of giving Dublin a decent game are Kerry operating at full tilt, as evident in both finals last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Its is an exceptional bunch Dublin have at the moment. Kilkenny, Fenton, O Callaghan, Rock..I think its a bit overblown that Dublin is out of control and I think you'll see when these lads move on eventually the Dubs wont be anywhere near as dominant as they are now.

Tomás had an interesting point tonight and he showed a table, showing new players to the Dublin team for each of the finals. At least 2 new starters I think each year.

Adding a couple of players each year is one if not the greatest strengths of this Dublin team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Tomás had an interesting point tonight and he showed a table, showing new players to the Dublin team for each of the finals. At least 2 new starters I think each year.

Adding a couple of players each year is one if not the greatest strengths of this Dublin team.

The power of numbers - huge population advantage means more options coming through; and none of those young players away in college all over the country, all in their own home every night

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jizique wrote: »
    The power of numbers - huge population advantage means more options coming through; and none of those young players away in college all over the country, all in their own home every night

It's not Just numbers though. There's been a million people in Dublin for a long time, aswell as a few universities.
    In theory, their hurlers should be lifting Liam frequently, that hasn't happened, nor will it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

It's not Just numbers though. There's been a million people in Dublin for a long time, aswell as a few universities.
    In theory, their hurlers should be lifting Liam frequently, that hasn't happened, nor will it I think.

It is better organized now than ever before.
    There’s a big difference between football and hurling from a skill point of view, which plays to the traditional counties - on your argument, the USA should be beating the All Blacks regularly in rugby.

There’s a big difference between football and hurling from a skill point of view, which plays to the traditional counties - on your argument, the USA should be beating the All Blacks regularly in rugby.

'The power of numbers' - you brought up the population argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Dublin is a big county and will always have good talent coming through but the ones who came through in the last 5-6 years have been exceptional. As for the so called splitting I spoke about it another thread but I actually don't want to see that happen, only as a last resort maybe. Dublin is in itself a county and Dublin peoples identity and memories are linked to supporting Dublin so to take that identity away and get rid of Dublin I think would be a very drastic measure. The Sunday game pundits have been pushing this line for years but I don't think we are anyway near that yet. Kerry have won 37 All Irelands and still remain competitive along with a few Ulster teams and Mayo maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Plus the problem is the cycles of other teams who could get close to Dublin have not occured yet.

Back in 2013 AI SF I would say it was where Kerry and Dublin met in the middle for example. Both Kerry and Dublin were superb then but Kerry were on the dip even though they won Sam in 2014 and got to the final a year later.

At the moment Kerry are not far off they just have not got the balance right their manager and team are inexperienced.

Mayo are in a rebuild they used to be a match for Dublin.

Tyrone will have their new man with new ideas so it will take them a little while.

Donegal are a team who I thought had it all . Assuming everyone was fit especially that Murphy fella. And was amazed they were beaten by Cavan. I think it was just an off day.

I think many other counties they are just frustrated not only how Dublin are winning. But the style in which they do it looks effortless, and controlled when in top form. It is almost as if they are in shock.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Dublin is a big county and will always have good talent coming through but the ones who came through in the last 5-6 years have been exceptional. As for the so called splitting I spoke about it another thread but I actually don't want to see that happen, only as a last resort maybe. Dublin is in itself a county and Dublin peoples identity and memories are linked to supporting Dublin so to take that identity away and get rid of Dublin I think would be a very drastic measure. The Sunday game pundits have been pushing this line for years but I don't think we are anyway near that yet. Kerry have won 37 All Irelands and still remain competitive along with a few Ulster teams and Mayo maybe.

If Dublin are split it would only benefit the 3 or 4 other counties who have realistic hopes of winning the All Ireland. It would do nothing for the Longford or Leitrims

I feel the county system is not fit for purpose anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Splitting Dublin is the most defeatist thing I've ever heard of in sport, ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why did Dublin split for the hurlers when Fingal emerged?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crazy the hurlers haven't won the Liam Mc yet or at least got to a final given all their advantages.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

There's the crux of the point. Colm Parkinson, whilst I mightn't agree with everything he says, constantly makes the argument on the GAA Hour. Dublin have a full time CEO John Costello who has full time staff I'd imagine running the Dublin County Board. He is a talented business man and can put all his time into resourcing, staffing, promoting Dublin GAA.

Cavan, as an example on the other hand, have Kieran Callaghan as chairman who is trying to run a large electrical business, with a multi million pound turnover and a huge amount of staff, and juggle the county board too.

The GAA need to put at least a John Costello in place for each county. Allow them to have at least the same organisation and staffing resources as Dublin GAA have to level the playing field a bit.

Cavan, again as an example, put a full time strength and conditioning coach in place just under two years ago. Dublin have had one in place since at least 2013 on the evidence of articles I found. We were only the third county to do that after Dublin and Tyrone.

You may argue that was foresight by Dublin but funding is an issue. Mickey Graham had a panel of near 45 players last year but that was cut to 35 at the start of this year because of funding. Would the same be an issue for Dublin? I doubt it.

It's easy to label it bigotry and bitterness but I don't think anyone is blaming Dublin directly before someone throws the usual argument at me - ''we didn't ask for the money''. The fact is that Dublin got financial support that now needs to be rolled out to other counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Dublin beat a Division 3 quite comfortably. Yet the masses are outraged.

What did they think was going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

ShyMets wrote: »
    Dublin beat a Division 3 quite comfortably. Yet the masses are outraged.

What did they think was going to happen

Don’t put everything on current League position. According to the rankings on this site, Cavan were the sixth best team in Ireland going into that game and had beaten two Division 1 teams in Monaghan & Donegal this year.

They also spent two of the last four three years in Division One (2017 & 2019), have had underage progression as recently as an AI semi final at minor in 2017 and made the Ulster Final last year, so to attempt to paint them as Division 3 fodder is hugely disrespectful to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

gaelar29 wrote: »
    They won a world cup and 2 Euros in that time, how many games did they play at their actual home venue in Spain to manage that feat?

So you think Dublin only win because they play on croke Park more often??

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I was out and about last night when match was on so just checking score on RTÉ

Suffice it to say I got a fright when I saw this

Advertisement