Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part III - 9 cases across the Island - 503 errors abound!! *read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

gozunda wrote: »
    They're still complete crap - no matter how you spread them out. Eejits spamming the thread with infantile type logic doesn't help.

positive #2032: he got the much needed attention he craved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

from 1 case to 2 to 6 in one single week, it's moving fast here too
    I dont see the point in closing off airports at this point, the virus has traveled already. By looking at other countries no one has been able to contain it. They all started with small numbers and then moved to hundreds and thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

WHO advice isn't to lock everything down. You mention airlines, hotels etc not being a priority, tell that to all the people who work in that industry who with a lockdown would be out of work etc.

A lockdown simply wont happen.
    It's a matter of choices and I do think putting vulnerable people first is the priority. Regarding a lock down, do we wait for 500 cases, 5000? The HSE should publish their contingency plans for the different scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bob24 wrote: »
    As I said, community transmission has occurred in every single other country after a few tens of cases had been imported, and there is no reason it will be different here.

And they never said it will be. All it said was that there's no evidence as of yet it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Aren't you a delight

I think someone has read the Unabomber's Manifesto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

iguana wrote: »
    I feel much, much more panicked when our chief medical officers come out with such blatant BS.

Point out one bull**** element of the statement quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

iguana wrote: »
    I feel much, much more panicked when our chief medical officers come out with such blatant BS. If they came out and said, community transfer is strong possibility, so here are the steps that we need to take as a country and as individuals to limit that spread. I think most people would feel more reassured.

According to Dr John 60% of the people infected in South Korea yesterday was community related transmission.

Very good intervene with Dr Bruce Aylward who knows his stuff

Also information from a site I have been following. Can be quite technical and I don’t understand it all. But he explains why he thinks a regular reasonable dosage Vitamin D may help against the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It seems to be that people are either going to one extreme or the other. Either going totally mental and stockpiling toilet paper and masks, or not caring at all, being complacent about hygiene and coughing and sneezing without covering mouth. Why is this? Are most people just a bit thick? Is it some psychological phenomenon?

Hardly anyone seems capable of doing what you're supposed to do - stay calm, wash hands often, use hand gel if you can't get to a sink right away, be responsible about coughing/sneezing, stay at home if you don't feel well, maybe throw some extra fruit or veg in the diet so your immune system is as good as it can be, get plenty of sleep. How hard is that? Why is it all one extreme or the other?

Why is buying supplies "going totally mental"?

People are looking at what happened in Italy in the space of 2 weeks and preparing in case something similar happens here, it'd be foolish not to.

Gynoid wrote: »
    My reading on why there can be fret about these scenarios is that it taps into both our ancestral fear of plague and our scifi futuristic worry that it will be an invisible germ that is the mass assassin of the species.
    Both these fears are in fact perfectly understandable and in many ways true. We are the descendents of the regular culls caused by pestilence, we will also most likely be seen off in the end as a species by pestilence.

Many remain cool and sanguine right now regarding this particular manifestation of a viral threat and may even scoff at others more panicked, but that there is a natural atavistic undercurrent in humans regarding novel invisible germs I think is perfectly understandable.

Being calm however is far better for the immune system.

:gets out the dictionary:

Pestilence
    Sanguine
    Atavistic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

1641 wrote: »
    What about the Donald's advice? Just carry on and go to work:
    “A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity. “So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and/or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better."
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-work-coronavirus_n_5e608bd2c5b69d641c0aa3dc

Epic downplaying from trump. He was happy out when it was taking a hatchet to China's economy but now that it's threatening to do the same in the US on the eve of his election he seems to have changed his tune!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 aloevera33

What hospital are these clare people been treated at ? Ennis, Galway or Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I dont see the point in closing off airports at this point, the virus has traveled already. By looking at other countries no one has been able to contain it. They all started with small numbers and then moved to hundreds and thousands

yeah, keep the carriers coming ...... never ending story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

positive #9 - with equities nose diving, it is a bit of a lesson to the 1% who own all the wealth

The Dow Jones index is currently at 27000.

It was lower than that from March to October last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I need to stop reading this thread and obsessing over the news. It's taking over my mind and I can't deal with it anymore.

If this virus didn't exist, and I'd read that four people in the west had the flu, I wouldn't care. And I've probably got as much chance of catching flu as I am anything else.

I'm observing good hygiene (always did tbh), washing hands, getting the kids to do the same, avoiding large crowds, and getting on with life.

Good luck to all, stay safe and stay healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It seems to be that people are either going to one extreme or the other. Either going totally mental and stockpiling toilet paper and masks, or not caring at all, being complacent about hygiene and coughing and sneezing without covering mouth. Why is this? Are most people just a bit thick? Is it some psychological phenomenon?

Hardly anyone seems capable of doing what you're supposed to do - stay calm, wash hands often, use hand gel if you can't get to a sink right away, be responsible about coughing/sneezing, stay at home if you don't feel well, maybe throw some extra fruit or veg in the diet so your immune system is as good as it can be, get plenty of sleep. How hard is that? Why is it all one extreme or the other?

I think you're confusing social media with real life.

Death Rate confirmed at 6% today, the trend is still negative but it's not dropping much anymore. It may plateau around this figure or slightly less at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, it's a family in the west, a cluster.

old_aussie wrote: »
    yeah, keep the carriers coming ...... never ending story.

There are probably dozens of infected people in Ireland by now. There is no way to stop this, it's a virus. What you don't want is stopping the economy from functioning, that will be worse

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, it's a family in the west, a cluster.

Same happened in Italy, same story. Small cluster infected small village, within a week it was everywhere
    Do you think the family hasn't had any contact with locals since they been back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yep - It's gone from 0.0000022% of the population to 0.000013%.

Very concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

gozunda wrote: »
    They're still complete crap - no matter how you spread them out. Eejits spamming the thread with infantile type logic doesn't help.

Logically he/she aint wrong.

It just goes against the inbuilt grain of current western society,.

Just one point if you would have asked a "Futurist" 40/50 years ago would people in 2020 be working on average 5 days 40 hours a week, they would of laughed said no, because of technological advancement we would be working much less.

But we re still here slogging along to feed the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

On an island with 6.5 million thats not moving fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed. I have often found those who use "Darwinism" in an argument have eff all clue what t actually means or how it works.
    i was asked about darwinism. i mean by that, the superiors will survive the weak will perish.

Nailed it Wibbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

:gets out the dictionary:

Pestilence
    Sanguine
    Atavistic

Heh, sorry. My oldest has often said to me over the years, eh mam, wtf, no one else talks like that in real life :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Death Rate confirmed at 6% today, the trend is still negative but it's not dropping much anymore. It may plateau around this figure or slightly less at this point

No, there is way to "confirm" the death rate at this time. I would imagine after it's all said and done it will be way lower than that. Lower than sars even. Actually I wouldn't imagine, I'd put money on it.

Like, relax people ffs. Even in China, the worst hit country, it's a small percentage of the population infected. And that's confirmed cases, obviously a lot more had mild illness which is an even better sign. It's not the end of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Do you have a source for that? Most recent WHO announcement I can find says 3.4%.

The Nal wrote: »
    On an island with 6.5 million thats not moving fast.

if you familiar with mathematical progressions you'll see the pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Drumpot wrote: »
    he explains why he thinks a regular reasonable dosage Vitamin D may help against the virus.

Make sure it's D3. Some evidence for Vitamin D3 to impact ARDS, which as you know is one of the ways that COVID-19 kills ->
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html
    Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) developed in 17–29% of hospitalized patients, and secondary infection developed in 10%.

D3 has also been shown to aid general healing in the lungs and increasing the rate at which the lungs can recover.
    Vitamin D deficiency may affect the immune system as vitamin D plays an immunomodulation role (6), enhancing innate immunity by up-regulating the expression and secretion of antimicrobial peptides (7–8), which boosts mucosal defences. Furthermore, recent meta-analyses have reported a protective effect of vitamin D supplementation on respiratory tract infections (9–12).

https://www.who.int/elena/titles/commentary/vitamind_pneumonia_children/en/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6186338/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement