Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The scandalous thing about this whole affair is the fact that Hancock and Coladangelo have known each other since they were students in the '90s. He then appoints her to a £1k per day job as non exec director in his department and a lucrative PPE contract went to one companies her brother is one of the directors. This Tory govt are corrupt to the core

Yeah but what about the immigrants, or the windrush descendants. They're leeching off other tax payers through taking government benefits that they shouldn't be entitled to. That's the problem, why don't you see this?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks like Hancock has resigned as health secretary....I am surprised tbh I thought he would style it out....if he had any decency he should have gone over the contract scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

gmisk wrote: »
    Looks like Hancock has resigned as health secretary....I am surprised tbh I thought he would style it out....if he had any decency he should have gone over the contract scandal

Kind of surprised and not so surprised at the same time, if he has indeed resigned. Hard to retain even a shred of authority when others, including Neil Ferguson, have bitten the bullet before you for similar crimes, even if these tories have necks like the jockeys proverbials for brazening stuff out. I guess a bit like Al Capone, they got him on the lesser charge in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

gmisk wrote: »

He had to go.

But he couldn't be sacked by Boris.

I'd say the embarrassment was gonna ramp up, and as loathsome as he is, he's still a human and has a family. Most of us can't develop a neck like a Cowen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The fact that they have gone from "matter closed" to him resigning a day later shows that they were fully ready to do a Barnard Castle on it but then realised it might not work this time.

Basically yet another showcase of absolutely terrible judgement and utter abdication of leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lots of speculation on social media. Who leaked the footage to the Sun? How long were they (Sun) in possession of it? Murdoch clearly wanted Hancock gone but to what end is less clear.

Quite possible there is or was more to emerge or at least the threat of it so there was no real other option but to go. Whether they do follow up how the footage was captured/leaked will be interesting. I wouldn't have thought ministers offices had cameras in them as a matter of routine, hancock certainly wasn't aware of it anyway. Otherwise somebody planted it which surely constitutes a serious breach of security and something they'd have to investigate. Or at least throw some shapes in that direction anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Daily Express political editor has just stated on Sky News he's been tipped off that Sajid Javid has been appointed as new Health secretary.

Shows you how close that paper is to the Government.

Quite possible there is or was more to emerge or at least the threat of it so there was no real other option but to go. Whether they do follow up how the footage was captured/leaked will be interesting. I wouldn't have thought ministers offices had cameras in them as a matter of routine, hancock certainly wasn't aware of it anyway. Otherwise somebody planted it which surely constitutes a serious breach of security and something they'd have to investigate. Or at least throw some shapes in that direction anyway.

It's a wonder the police aren't involved. This is security footage from inside a government ministry somehow ending up in the hands of a tabloid newspaper. Everyone who works in that ministry is a government employee.

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's a wonder the police aren't involved. This is security footage from inside a government ministry somehow ending up in the hands of a tabloid newspaper. Everyone who works in that ministry is a government employee.

I'm wondering whether it is actual security footage as i didn't think there would be cctv inside a serving minister's office. I was assuming somebody entered the office and planted it there but it's a major security breach either way and should in theory be the subject of a criminal investigation. I also wonder if the sun could claim protection of sources in the event of an issue of national security? Dunno really, probably won't get pursued at all would be my guess.

• Advertisement

I'm wondering whether it is actual security footage as i didn't think there would be cctv inside a serving minister's office. I was assuming somebody entered the office and planted it there but it's a major security breach either way and should in theory be the subject of a criminal investigation. I also wonder if the sun could claim protection of sources in the event of an issue of national security? Dunno really, probably won't get pursued at all would be my guess.

If it was planted as a hidden camera, it would make the story even more weird than just a regular CCTV footage story. It would mean someone knew Hancock was having an affair and set out to trap him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,041 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If it was planted as a hidden camera, it would make the story even more weird than just a regular CCTV footage story. It would mean someone knew Hancock was having an affair and set out to trap him.

And would be highly illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1408864671545937921

First time I've agreed with her about something!

I could be entirely wrong anyway, maybe all ministerial offices are routinely set up with cctv so it's just a straight story of someone copying the footage and posting it on which is certainly the simplest explanation. By all accounts the affair had been an open secret around the department for some time, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Would there be any footage available from Hancock’s house as to how he explained things to his wife when he got home?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

O'Neill wrote: »

If that loathsome charlatan said that grass was a green colour, I'd still go check. This is all being heavily orchestrated; a more crass & cynical exercise in political scheming you could not witness happening before your eyes, and she's had words whispered in her ear to that effect. The message is not wrong of course, but given the source I would be questioning the 'who' and the 'why' behind it all.

I fully expect the current nest of vipers in cabinet (and the senior echelons of the Tory party) to load Hancock with every breach, inept and/or corrupt carry-on that many of them oversaw over the past year & a half and let him carry the can for all of it so they can try and wash themselves clean in the public eye.

I could be entirely wrong anyway, maybe all ministerial offices are routinely set up with cctv so it's just a straight story of someone copying the footage and posting it on which is certainly the simplest explanation. By all accounts the affair had been an open secret around the department for some time, though.

One theory doing the rounds tonight anyway is that this is part of Murdoch's plan to get Michael Gove installed as PM.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Looks like the Tories are going to put a full investigation in to how the footage was leaked.

Probably they will be more concerned with that than dealing with the alleged dealings that Hancock was involved in with his mistress and their family in terms of contracts and positions etc.

I note there is also talk about having cameras removed from Government offices now unless they are required by the security services. I am sure this is totally motivated by good intentions and nothing at all about removing them to ensure that nobody else gets caught out. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The reaction of Johnson in this is that the are not sorry at all for what has happened. They are only sorry that they got caught so will take steps to prevent being caught in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yer wan bears a strong resemblance to Pritti Patel. That same knowing smirk and dark hair.

Yer wan bears a strong resemblance to Pritti Patel. That same knowing smirk and dark hair.

It seems Hancock has chosen her over the missus anyway (and she presumably is dumping the husband) - he's leaving the wife and moving in with her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It seems Hancock has chosen her over the missus anyway (and she presumably is dumping the husband) - he's leaving the wife and moving in with her.

That could be because the wife will get the house.

Who says it was Hancock's choice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

breezy1985 wrote: »

It could well be Hancock's choice, but not necessarily Mr Hancock's choice - it could be Mrs. Hancock's choice.

breezy1985 wrote: »

Good point. I was reading that he knew the story was going to break, a good 24 hours before it actually did.

Good point. I was reading that he knew the story was going to break, a good 24 hours before it actually did.

Well he has the perfect PM to offer advice at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭quokula

O'Neill wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1408864671545937921

The whole thing feels very choreographed - that corruption runs right through the cabinet, but it’s all being pinned on him as soon as he’s out of government. The fact that the leak came through a right wing newspaper too, and the thing he ultimately resigned for just generates headlines about it being a personal issue rather than the many much more egregious sins of the government, it’s all very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

quokula wrote: »
    The whole thing feels very choreographed - that corruption runs right through the cabinet, but it’s all being pinned on him as soon as he’s out of government. The fact that the leak came through a right wing newspaper too, and the thing he ultimately resigned for just generates headlines about it being a personal issue rather than the many much more egregious sins of the government, it’s all very convenient.

I think he's rubbing his hands in glee. He'll be remembered for having an affair, not corruption and incompetence and if he was going to leave his wife and family anyway, this completed that process quickly for him, like ripping off a bandaid.

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaked the footage himself at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

SNIP. Please do not just paste links.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think he's rubbing his hands in glee. He'll be remembered for having an affair, not corruption and incompetence and if he was going to leave his wife and family anyway, this completed that process quickly for him, like ripping off a bandaid.

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaked the footage himself at this point.

I dunno, now hes out they might have an inquiry so they can blame all the past years corruption on him and get somewhat of a clean slate.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    I dunno, now hes out they might have an inquiry so they can blame all the past years corruption on him and get somewhat of a clean slate.

Well, it worked for the Vote Leave campaign - it was found to have broken the law but - well - what ever happened about that? Oh yea - I thought so.

Advertisement