Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Whatever about who it was that stitched Hancock up........the pure stupity of going on TV during the 1st lockdown and calling for Neil Ferguson to be sacked for breaking social distancing rules because he was having an affair, while him doing the exact same thing.

Wonder if this will be the end of him rather than the fact he'd completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

cml387 wrote: »
    Could the hand of Dominic Cummins be behind this?

No, I'm pretty sure its Hancocks hand on her arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I wonder what this Hancock Dead Cat is intended to distract from?

Published with shots taken from Government CCTV in a Murdoch rag?
    Things are already bad news wise from a Tory standpoint.
    How much worse could it be that given Hancock's disasters to date?
    That it could well be a ride in the office that brings him down?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

knives are out for Hancock and Johnson imo, and Hancock has clearly been left there to act as the fall guy for Covid anyway.

It's all such a tangled web of politicking and lust for revenge. Cummings hates johnson and hancock even more. Johnson would love to see the back of hancock but can't sack him for being terrible at his job because it would look like he's doing Cummings bidding and would look an even bigger hypocrite than he is if he sacks him for philandering. And the longer he sits on it and does nothing, he looks all the worse too. So whoever leaked this story could be out to damage Johnson as much as hancock, if I've got any of that right. A right nest of vipers anyway, think we could all agree on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

pixelburp wrote: »
    There has always been a puritanical spirit in a lot of the western tabloid thinking though. Sex sells, especially of the illicit, forbidden variety. As you say Hancock's sins are demonstrative and tangible; I couldn't care less what any politician does with his or her lust. Sexual relationships are not anyone's business except those immediately effected, but those Victorian hangups are hard to let go of it seems. Would be nice to live in a world where sex wasn't shamed.

If he could have grabbed her arse and still maintained the 2 metre gap as per social distancing guidelines at the time of him getting handsy, maybe he'd have been okay. But he couldn't and that's the issue for many, particularly after calling for the police to investigate Ferguson.

His shame is being a hypocrite.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not sure i recall the sun being that interested when the health secretary was messing up ppe and care homes, telling huge porkies about it, or allegedly helping his mates secure lucrative covid contracts, but now he's kissed a girl behind the bicycle shed and they're all over it. Feels like the 1990s all over again.
    How long has this story been sat on ?

And why is it coming out now ?

I doubt it's to distract from something as trivial as
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/25/almost-600m-nhs-home-covid-tests-unaccounted-for-auditors-reveal
    Almost 600m NHS home Covid tests unaccounted for, auditors reveal

Results from only 14% of the 691m tests handed out in England have been registered with test and trace

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Maybe, more likely Murdoch bailing Boris out - after his "totally f*ucking hopeless" comments, and bungling of delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The biggest failure of the remainers was not pushing RDF enough. That money spent by "London" on EU membership mostly went back into Yorkshire, Wales, West country and NI but this never got talked about during the £350m bus BS

Even had they used that as an argument, the Brexiters would have responded claiming that once outside the EU the UK could provide even more funding to the regions. Logic and the truth mean nothing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well it looks like Matt Hancock’s hand is on a behind from that picture in the sun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Even had they used that as an argument, the Brexiters would have responded claiming that once outside the EU the UK could provide even more funding to the regions. Logic and the truth mean nothing to them.

But you can only give the savings out once, and they had already promised twice the amount of savings to the NHS. However, politicians frequently announce money several times, even if it is not new money.

However they are handing out largesse to Tory controlled regions and Tory controlled Local Authorities - not so much to the impoverished regions that mistakenly voted Labour.

They are also plying their chums with public money - and that will need to be clawed back, but not from the chums of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Skygord wrote: »
    Maybe, more likely Murdoch bailing Boris out - after his "totally f*ucking hopeless" comments, and bungling of delta.

I read this Hancock story late last night and my first thought was "Who in the Tory establishment wants this published, who is behind it?".

However they are handing out largesse to Tory controlled regions and Tory controlled Local Authorities - not so much to the impoverished regions that mistakenly voted Labour.

The people voting in Batley next thursday only have to look at neighbouring Dewsbury which turned blue in 2019 and was dutifully awarded the maximum £25m through the towns' fund. Conscience or money? That's a tough one, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Hancock apologised for breaching social distancing guidelines but didn't mention his wife. Boris said he won't be sacked and case is closed.

How long has this story been sat on ?

And why is it coming out now ?

I doubt it's to distract from something as trivial as
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/25/almost-600m-nhs-home-covid-tests-unaccounted-for-auditors-reveal

classic Guardian.

What do they expect, Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock personally delivering each rapid flow test and making sure the recipient registers their results?

these are being used purely to help people establish if they have covid and need to take action, they are now in every school, college, nursery school and creche in the UK, as well as stocks people are keeping at home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Below standard post removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it looks like Matt Hancock’s hand is on a behind from that picture in the sun.

Sky have just dug out this clip of Hancock criticising Neil Ferguson for the same thing and placed it on the website and showed it on air:

https://news.sky.com/video/i-dont-understand-hancock-on-prof-neil-ferguson-scandal-11983903

Makes you look at his hesitancy where he's asked if he's speechless in a whole new light if it was going on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭O'Neill

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1408542747716427782

Not sure if it's just me but there's something very errr....off...about this video tbh, very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hmmm that's really bloody weird. I'm not buying it tbh having seen that

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

O'Neill wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1408542747716427782

Not sure if it's just me but there's something very errr....off...about this video tbh, very odd.

And there was us all thinking that the next Tory dead cat would be about a Boris affair....

Having seen the footage it does indeed look rather off. The fact they just happen to do such thing in the ideal location for the camera in a Government building, where someone leaks the footage just seems a bit odd.

Personally I think it's a staged dead cat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

devnull wrote: »
    And there was us all thinking that the next Tory dead cat would be about a Boris affair....

Having seen the footage it does indeed look rather off. The fact they just happen to do such thing in the ideal location for the camera in a Government building, where someone leaks the footage just seems a bit odd.

It would not be remotely unreasonable to think that the CCTV inside government buildings is not going to be leaked to the press. Its a pretty worrying breach of security.

There is no way this is staged - be reasonable about how ridiculous an idea that is. Him and his family will be going through pretty awful times now. They will undoubtedly be hounded by the press and I have great sympathy for his wife. The much, much more reasonable and realistic scenario is that this is simply a person in power who thinks they are above reproach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭O'Neill

Although I don't share his politics, it really makes me appreciate Robin Swann more tbh. What is it about this lot and create drama wherver they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My suspicion would be the timing. It was captured on camera almost seven weeks ago. Have The Sun had possession of the footage for ages and who benefits from it being published?

• He'll be gone in a few days.

Its really odd. Why would there be a cctv camera in that office pointed at the door?

And surely he knew the camera was there, or are they hidden cameras?

Hidden from people that work there is spying?

And was is it moving so much?

The guy who broke the story just happens to be an ex flame of one Ms Carrie Symonds. More intrigue!!! On a serious note, the question is whether this was the work of a lone gunman on the grassy knoll or a deeper plot to try and take hancock down. Someone had to have both the technical knowledge and access to hancocks office to pull this off and was it then the same person who leaked to the press? I think whoever the source, they were clever enough to calculate that even if identified or suspected, the government will be reluctant to pursue this as they'll just want it buried asap, whether hancock goes or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hancock turned out to be the most interesting member of the British cabinet. Let's hope he survives as he's great for the drama.

Boris turned out rather bland.

Hancock turned out to be the most interesting member of the British cabinet. Let's hope he survives as he's great for the drama.

Boris turned out rather bland.

Yeah. Lying to the queen, signing the worst trade deal in history, handing out contracts to tory donors, ignoring Parliament, having a PR disaster at the G7.

Totally bland!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah. Lying to the queen, signing the worst trade deal in history, handing out contracts to tory donors, ignoring Parliament, having a PR disaster at the G7.

Totally bland!

No one cares that he lied to Liz. You think he was the first prime minister to lie to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The scandalous thing about this whole affair is the fact that Hancock and Coladangelo have known each other since they were students in the '90s. He then appoints her to a £1k per day job as non exec director in his department and a lucrative PPE contract went to one companies her brother is one of the directors. This Tory govt are corrupt to the core

https://twitter.com/gturner1969/status/1408507425058066434

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Strazdas wrote: »
    I read this Hancock story late last night and my first thought was "Who in the Tory establishment wants this published, who is behind it?".

Its pretty obvious for a long time their is powerful people in the Tory donor base who have serious power in established media want Boris gone.

Some of the most brutal attacks on him have came from the mail, times and now this the sun. Murdoch clearly wants him gone, most likely for Gove but I am sure Rishi would be fine.

Didn't Cummings get a piece in the mail recently to hammer Boris?

Its not a set up at all, that's absurd talk, this looks bad for all Hancock for cheating on his missus and telling people to socially distance etc and obviously everyone knows Boris can't fire someone for cheating with his form.

Advertisement