Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

^^^
    Last one on this for now.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1406702162193928192

I think she's 100% right, this is all coordinated. This is way more than a simple commercial venture by some people looking to avail of a market opportunity and I understand Nigel Farage was on a show this morning and if so, I'm not surprised and it only forces what it is the purpose of GB News is going to be.

Nigel Farage (who is still involved in politics as President of the Reclaim party) co-presented a show called 'The Political Correction' with a sitting Tory MP (Dehenna Davison) with links to the far right. The main contributor to the show appeared to be Tom Harwood, ex Guido Fawkes and a former Tory candidate. It's difficult to make a case that the show was fair, balanced

GB News will probably point to the fact that the other main contributor to the show was a fire brigade union member, Paul Embery but for someone who claims to be Labour, looking at his articles and background, you would see that many of his views belong very much to the right wing of politics rather than the left. He's also, like the rest of them on the show, an ardent Brexiteer.

It seems that the only aim of 'The Political Correction' was an echo chamber of discussion with a completely unbalanced panel that lacked fairness and any kind of proper, open debate, partly thanks to the very partisan hosts it had. The name and the selection of guests, clearly was sending through loud and clear that they hold the correct views and everyone else is wrong.

You can be sure if it had been the other way around, then the right would be saying it is an example of cancel culture. But apparently when they do the same it is perfectly fine. You'll also notice that those supporting GB News because of 'freedom of speech' reasons, are the first to jump on the likes of Carole for using hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wonder could the government be stupid enough to put the chronically inept Dido Harding in charge of the NHS. Kicks off her campaign by firing off a broadside at them foreigners, but I'm not sure that reliable old dog whistle of the right works so well in this context, given what they've just been through. I think it would be a gift to the opposition if she were to get it.

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1406565924103151616?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well it appears Brexit has really messed up the far right in France Marine Le Pens crew dropping nearly ten percent from their last outing.

Brexit and the Tories are the gift that keeps giving to center or left centre parties.

listermint wrote: »
    Well it appears Brexit has really messed up the far right in France Marine Le Pens crew dropping nearly ten percent from their last outing.

Brexit and the Tories are the gift that keeps giving to center or left centre parties.

Best news I've heard all day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wonder could the government be stupid enough to put the chronically inept Dido Harding in charge of the NHS. Kicks off her campaign by firing off a broadside at them foreigners, but I'm not sure that reliable old dog whistle of the right works so well in this context, given what they've just been through. I think it would be a gift to the opposition if she were to get it.

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1406565924103151616?s=20
    It's scary considering how abysmal test and trace performed compared to local authorities and how much it cost.

From comments
    https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/07/dido_harding_nhs_ceo/
    In October 1995, she married John Penrose, who was elected MP for Weston-super-Mare in 2005 and went on to hold junior minister posts from 2010 to 2019 .... Penrose sits on the advisory board of a think tank called 1828, which calls for the NHS to be replaced by an insurance system and for Public Health England to be scrapped

Should this be checked with the Prime Minister's Anti-Corruption Champion? This is currently John Penrose, Conservative MP for Weston-Super-Mare. And the husband of... Dido Harding.

• Advertisement

There's another segment on GB News now called Uncancelled, which has Dan Wootton and Ann Widdecombe as the main people on there, nicely balanced as usual.

Transgender journalist India Willoughby has apparently just quit as a commentator on the show about 'the crap that this station has been pumping out for the last week or so' in relation to the way transgender people are being portrayed.

It's scary considering how abysmal test and trace performed compared to local authorities and how much it cost.

From comments
    https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/07/dido_harding_nhs_ceo/

And not to forget her previous calamity as chief of Talk Talk, but as we see, failure is not routinely an impediment to promotion and advancement where this lot are concerned. It's truly bonkers, even by their own outrageously bonkers' standards, but i think they are well in danger of losing the plot with this one. As with the by election, signs of extreme complacency setting In, feeling they can do anything they like and get away with it. Another dido promotion would be a leap too far I'd wager.

And not to forget her previous calamity as chief of Talk Talk, but as we see, failure is not routinely an impediment to promotion and advancement where this lot are concerned. It's truly bonkers, even by their own outrageously bonkers' standards, but i think they are well in danger of losing the plot with this one. As with the by election, signs of extreme complacency setting In, feeling they can do anything they like and get away with it. Another dido promotion would be a leap too far I'd wager.

At the end of the day they don't care who is good at their job and who isn't, they care about who looks to be good at their job and says the right things and will toe the Government line. This is part of the insanity about the UK at the moment.

And sadly often voters in the UK are blind to ability and competence to do the job as it's blindly done on who has the same political views as them and who believes in the same things as them. Less foreigners in the NHS will probably appeal to a lot of UK voters who voted for Brexit and Tory voters.

By the way, I happen to know a couple of people who worked in a company that later became part of Talk Talk on a senior level and lets just say they were not exactly sad that she was leaving.

devnull wrote: »
    At the end of the day they don't care who is good at their job and who isn't, they care about who looks to be good at their job and says the right things and will toe the Government line. This is part of the insanity about the UK at the moment.

And sadly often voters in the UK are blind to ability and competence to do the job as it's blindly done on who has the same political views as them and who believes in the same things as them. Less foreigners in the NHS will probably appeal to a lot of UK voters who voted for Brexit and Tory voters.

By the way, I happen to know a couple of people who worked in a company that later became part of Talk Talk on a senior level and lets just say they were not exactly sad that she was leaving.

I'd imagine the 150,000 or so customers who had their personal details hacked by a couple of pimply teenagers under her watch were ok about seeing the back of her too. It's quite staggering how that level of performance marks you out as a candidate for some of the country's most vital jobs. But like i said, i do believe there's a line you cross and they're dangerously close to crossing it if they're seriously thinking about this appointment which i believe they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Transgender journalist India Willoughby has apparently just quit as a commentator on the show about 'the crap that this station has been pumping out for the last week or so' in relation to the way transgender people are being portrayed.
    In all honesty I do wonder what she was expecting and why the channel even hired her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It sheds an interesting light on their attitudes. They must know that the "foreigners" in the NHS are doing a very good job and are not leeching off the state. Therefore they hate them for being foreign and not being British, no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,295 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Strazdas wrote: »
    It sheds an interesting light on their attitudes. They must know that the "foreigners" in the NHS are doing a very good job and are not leeching off the state. Therefore they hate them for being foreign and not being British, no other reason.

Successful foreigners are worse than the few that are scamming the dole because they are a mirror to the lazy moaners who dont bother going out to work. The hard working foreigner is proof that a bit o hard work and perseverance can get you a job (not always a great one but a job)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Successful foreigners are worse than the few that are scamming the dole because they are a mirror to the lazy moaners who dont bother going out to work. The hard working foreigner is proof that a bit o hard work and perseverance can get you a job (not always a great one but a job)

Yes, the lazy moaners and Brexity OAPs can still spin it in their heads that hard working migrants are somehow a drain on the state and its resources. Witness how they are strongly opposed to even freedom of movement with the EU (which includes many wealthy countries), never mind poorer migrants from non-EU countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

listermint wrote: »

Now all w need is AfD in Germany to disappear and our part of the world can properly start to dispense with that rash of populist politics. East of the Danube will remain a problem but one step at a time 'n all...
    There's another segment on GB News now called Uncancelled, which has Dan Wootton and Ann Widdecombe as the main people on there, nicely balanced as usual.

I sympathise with her - to an extent. Hard to extend the sympathy out too far though, given one must wonder what on earth she expected; as the saying goes, lay down with dogs, you get fleas. I always find it perversely fascinating when I read of LGBT folks - or indeed PoC - siding or working with these vulgar polemical outlets; how they possibly rationalise being part of a machine that vilifies their very being.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I guess they think it is better that their voices are at least being heard, if even only to provide 'balance'. The alternative is to simply let them ignore their voice altogether.

It also puts a human face to the 'trans' or 'gays' or whatever section they are vilifying. If you can talk in the abstract, about that lot, without ever having to see that 'that lot' are real people are are nice and pleasant and seem perfectly reasonable, then it makes it that little bit harder to turn people against them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I guess they think it is better that their voices are at least being heard, if even only to provide 'balance'. The alternative is to simply let them ignore their voice altogether.

It also puts a human face to the 'trans' or 'gays' or whatever section they are vilifying. If you can talk in the abstract, about that lot, without ever having to see that 'that lot' are real people are are nice and pleasant and seem perfectly reasonable, then it makes it that little bit harder to turn people against them.

Sure, that makes sense; no more than (say) our own Marriage Referendum, where what pushed it over the line I reckon were the sundry human tales of ordinary gay couples the Undecideds would have known. But when an outlet like GB News is behaving in such a monstrously overblown fashion, Othering _everyone_ for the sake of terrifying John Suggs in Snotbridge Wells, having a solo voice of representation feels like a cynical attempt at token representation, to present a facade of impartiality. Andrew Neil simply going "look! We can't possibly be prejudiced, sure one of them works with us!" Or finding the one Quisling who might validate those "cancel culture" opinions as legitimate. I dunno: maybe Willoughby was sold a pup as my Dad would have said, was told what she wanted to hear re. her politics and never thought too hard beyond the money she'd earn. LGBT can be greedy idiots too I guess.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sure, that makes sense; no more than (say) our own Marriage Referendum, where what pushed it over the line I reckon were the sundry human tales of ordinary gay couples the Undecideds would have known. But when an outlet like GB News is behaving in such a monstrously overblown fashion, Othering _everyone_ for the sake of terrifying John Suggs in Snotbridge Wells, having a solo voice of representation feels like a cynical attempt at token representation, to present a facade of impartiality. Andrew Neil simply going "look! We can't possibly be prejudiced, sure one of them works with us!" Or finding the one Quisling who might validate those "cancel culture" opinions as legitimate. I dunno: maybe Willoughby was sold a pup as my Dad would have said, was told what she wanted to hear re. her politics and never thought too hard beyond the money she'd earn. LGBT can be greedy idiots too I guess.

Just to confirm, in the repeat of the show that took place last night and presumably on the app catch-up section, it appears that GB News edited out the section where they were criticised by India Willoughby.

In it's place was a section called 'Uncancelled' which included an interview with someone who has been a vocal opponent of gender self-identification, who has previously spoken at meetings for a group accused of transphobia.

https://twitter.com/PaulSimon1971/status/1406903166306852864

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

This just seems bizarre - the Department of Education in the UK is promoting an event called "One Britain, One Nation" on Friday, whereby schoolchildren will be asked to sing a newly-composed patriotic song, with the chorus consisting of the titular refrain:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/one-britain-one-nation-boris-johnson-patriotism-b1871110.html?utm_source=reddit.com

https://twitter.com/hannahrosewoods/status/1407592524294799362

• Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It will not be happening in Scotland and the authors of the song are confused. Britain does not equal to UK and the UK is made up of several nations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This just seems bizarre - the Department of Education in the UK is promoting an event called "One Britain, One Nation" on Friday, whereby schoolchildren will be asked to sing a newly-composed patriotic song, with the chorus consisting of the titular refrain:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/one-britain-one-nation-boris-johnson-patriotism-b1871110.html?utm_source=reddit.com

I think that the fact that this looney idea is backed by Norman 'on your bike' Tebbit says all you need to hear. I think someone in that lot need to read '1984' by George Orwell - his book is either a prescient parody of the current carry-on or the current carry-on is a parody of '1984'. I cannot make up my mind which applies.

I am certain George Orwell would not believe his novel has been re-enacted so closely in real life.

(If this is really happening and I am not in a parallel universe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We are now beyond parody.

What day is OBON Day?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We are now beyond parody.

What day is OBON Day?
    Friday June 25th.

I posted this in the YLYL thread which mocks the dictatorial overtones of the whole thing: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E4fgR0hXMAganfi?format=jpg&name=medium

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I see that the British Royal Navy (or is that the UK Royal Navy) are poking the Russian Bear in the Black Sea.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40320524.html
    Russia ‘fires warning shots' at British navy destroyer

Russian forces fired “warning shots” at a British Royal Navy destroyer after it entered the country’s territorial waters in the Black Sea, the Russian defence ministry has said.

A border patrol boat fired warning shots at HMS Defender and a Su-24M warplane dropped four bombs, the defence ministry said in a statement reported by the Russian Interfax news agency.

“The destroyer was warned in advance that weapons would be fired in case of a violation of the Russian state border. It disregarded the warning,” the statement said.

The destroyer is on its way to poke the Chinese Dragons in the South China Seas, but chose to do a little diversion on the way - all part of 'Global Britain - Britain rules the waves!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,295 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Verse 1 is a lovely innocent way of saying conquered half the world

I look forward to the inevitable GB News screed the first time someone refuses to sing, or have the children sing, that dirge.

I suppose if nothing else, at least the mask is beginning to slip. Johnson knows the CoVid bounce is going to run out soon, Brexit will reveal its flaws soon enough in coming budgets and pockets and unless England wins the Euros (is that likely?), he probably doesn't see much to coast along anytime soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If that's the official picture then where is the reference to NI ?

And why is it in 'One Nation Conservative' colours and logos ?
    https://www.onebritainonenation.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If that's the official picture then where is the reference to NI ?

And why is it in 'One Nation Conservative' colours and logos ?
    https://www.onebritainonenation.com/

Maybe their giving NI a subtle hint of what's coming :)

David Attenborough accuses ministers of ‘short-sighted’ attack on TV networks

Looks like they want to privatise Channel 4.
    Is it for once off greed or to lean on the news output ?

Channel 4 is owned by the government but funded from ads and media sales.
    Conflict of interest note : Because it's not funded by TV licenses they don't mind peoples in Ireland watching it, I even have a pair of coloured glasses they posted out to watch a 3D cowboy film.

Their charter is for minority interest TV. They had to fight to keep Brookside because it was too popular to be minority interest. At this stage news programs critical of the government are an engendered species.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Maybe their giving NI a subtle hint of what's coming :)
    The lyrics need to be translated into all the UK's languages.

Like Welsh and Hindi etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

The lyrics need to be translated into all the UK's languages.

Like Welsh and Hindi etc.

I'm sure the next thing will be, one nation, one language.

Advertisement