Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Tories have been a mess for more than just this term, unfortunately the previous labour leader was utterly incapable of taking advantage of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It looks like if they hadn't fiddled the system with the switch to FPTP the Conservatives would not have got any PCCs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Tories down 280 councillors .. Analysts say Tories on track to loose 500 ( LBC )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There was no "question". You know damn well that a party can't do anything in opposition except block.

That's not the point though. It would be nice if a party could get into power based on more than "Well, we're not the other guys" which, frankly, is all Labour have at the moment.

If a win is all you and others care about, you'll no doubt be delighted at the end of the year/early 2025. But some people might be looking for more than just that. Some people might actually looking for policy that might turn things around for them in a meaningful way.

Not bad for tories .. relatively?

BREAKING: BBC's projected national vote share, based on the local election results, is:

LAB: 34%
    CON: 25%
    LD: 17%
    Others: 24%

Labour will be disappointed with that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,681 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only parts of England voted today. It isn't possible to extrapolate that to national share reliably.

Also, you don't get the same % of Green, Residents Association, WEP etc elected to Westminster as you do at locals.

Also the BBC figures are not general election predictions and they don't claim to be either.

That is the national vote share for this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Hung parliament with Labour the biggest party would be a fantastic result, but I really don't see anything other than a huge Labour majority.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't believe Sky put that out. Utter nonsense. I don't think most people bother with local elections here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yep.

This poll probably closer to the real story and it's grim for the Tories.

I would say Reform will continue to eat away slowly at the conservative vote.

The Tories got 17% in the Blackpool by-election which was their lowest percentage of a by-election vote in over 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is utter nonsense to guess the general election result based on the local election

Hopefully Labour will get a few more losses for their support of slaughter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As other countries have shown some EU rules can be fudged if you don't like them. France playing the "national security" card so they can subsidise some local companies.

But rather than try that Jeremy was OK with the Tories doing Brexit. Happy to throw out things like the Working Time Directive on the hope that he'd win the next election and that the Tories wouldn't just undo everything again at subsequent election.

From 2019

Jeremy Corbyn says his passion for remaining in the EU rates at about "seven, or seven and a half" out of 10

But listen to how dismissive he is, just going through the motions.
    At best he wants to cherry pick , doesn't want the Free Market etc.
    Wants reform, but not enough to have campaigned to remain.

The most unforgivable thing is that he didn't try to thwart the sort of
    people that were proposing Brexit. That sort of thing should be
    visceral.

Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing
    - John Stuart Mill

Every other previous Labour Leader tried to get Labour voters out by
    painting a bleak picture.

if we leave the EU. Labour
    communities would face a double threat: the return of recession, led by a
    Tory government with an emboldened right wing. In such circumstances,
    Labour communities would suffer most: from spending cuts, neglect for
    the needy and a bonfire of workers’ rights.

A "seven or seven and a half out of ten" in favour of staying in the EU would be rather high.

He may have had some misgivings about how the EU is run. But I would think that that was fair enough. It's very far from a perfect institution. I can certainly understand why someone with Corbyn's political convictions would be sceptical about some of the things regarding the EU. But that doesn't mean he's the "Brexiteer" that some want to paint him as.

But then again, that man has had so much shade thrown his way, it doesn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good to see Labour getting a bit of a swipe over Gaza. Oct 6th was very wrong but what has taken place since, is nearer to WW2 atrocities. The great irony of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The man's just as disingenuous and deceitful as any other politician. Either he was happy to abandon decades of Euroscepticism or he just lied about opposing Brexit. Like, people can cynically exploit atrocities in Gaza to take shots at Starmer all they want but it just shows that the British left care about nothing more than pushing their hatred of the centre and supporting tyrants they like such as Putin.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Starmer deserves everything he gets over Gaza, his comments and stance are repulsive

• Advertisement

The left by and large don't support Putin.

Its not the 1970s ffs.

It's amazing how you become as bad as the worst CA posters as soon as Corbyn is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

That would be fair enough if he was just another voter. But it's appalling political leadership. If he was "7/10" on the EU, then he should have been campaigning hard for remain. If he was against the EU, he should have been campaigning hard for Brexit. There's very little room for half-way house positions on binary-choice issues, and he basically cut the legs out from under the Labour remain campaign, knowing full well that would probably be enough to get the result he wanted - Brexit. It was poor and disingenuous leadership. He wasted no time demanding Article 50 be used, almost as soon as the result was in.

Plenty of them came out for Russia in 2022.

As for Corbyn, he was supposed to be different: honest, sincere and with integrity. Instead, we got a leftist Garage who turned Labour into a racist clown show. I'm stuck with Brexit and he bears some of the responsibility for it so, yes, I dislike him.

The fact that his cult disintegrate into snide comments upon the merest criticism of the man is what I'd expect of MAGA in the US, frankly.

I'm not interested in trading barbs or the faux concern about Gaza so I'm leaving it at that.

H. H. Asquith

Absolutely insane levels of hyperbole.

There's never been a man in UK politics that's had so much unmitigated shite said about him than Jeremy Corbyn…

…and now he's to blame for Brexit! 🤣

You couldn't make it up.

"Faux concerns"

So now we are all only faking upset at the slaughter of innocent humans. What an utterly arrogant thing to say.

Labour are set to lose the West Midlands mayor and people are getting shaky about London too. So the so called faux concern is about some very real world consequences.

You really are something in your defence of slaughter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lots of people are to blame for Brexit. There were so many ways it could have been stopped or softened.

Corbyn threw out the baby with the bath water. All he had to do was understand the damage Brexit could do to his voters.

Brexit was undefined, it would allow the the right to roll back healthy and safety and workers rights, and the left to provide government subsidies and block EU immigration. More importantly it would allow Labour or Conservatives to swing the pendulum back when they got in. So any gains for Labour would only be temporary. While the clampdown on workers rights and conditions and wealth would take a lot longer to undo, if ever. And Corbyn didn't fight that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

Tories have run out of road and there is no Brexit wheeze to pull them out of their hole this time. Every promise renaged on for 15 years.

I always find it a bit mad that voter turnout for something as high profile as Mayor of London is often around the 40% mark.

The first of the last council results just coming in now too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for proving my point perfectly. Reminds me of the time I got called a racist for criticising Corbyn.

Thank goodness we dodged that bullet.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement