Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Enzokk wrote: »
    Some trucks can carry 40 tonnes in weight it seems. Cargo aircraft can carry 134 000 tonnes for a new 748. So that is about 3 and a half lorries per flight. There are what, 7000 lorries that a day that go through Dover. Let's say a thousand has essential supplies (why a thousand, no idea just picking a number out of the sky), that would mean to bypass the port you will need about 280 flights to replace the capacity.

There has been around 280 sales of the 777F and 748F. So I think there is a flaw in that plan, before you even start looking at where they will land and the logistics from there.

There's no flaw. There's a handy 300m about to be transferred from the state to the connected.

It's a perfect plan. In this time of Brexit where people have lost their collective marbles and taken leave entirely of their senses.. anything will go if it can be purported to be a Brexit facilitator..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Meanwhile, the Brexit Party's Nigel Farage has been found to have referred to the Queen Mother as an 'overweight, chain smoking, gin drinker' and the non Westminster represented UKIP has selected a man called 'Richard Braine' as their leader.
    Maybe he is an undercover, undisclosed Republican and aims for establishing the English Republic with himself installed as the President. Pun intended.:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Corbyn has taken action to prevent a no-deal Brexit by calling a sneak election.

OK he's sent a strongly worded letter.

Oh wait he's only asked for clarification of the rules around purdah, :rolleyes:

So the one - two knockout punch is that Labour are now demanding an end to Grouse shooting. :confused:

Oh wait, they've only asked for a review of it, not a ban

Watch the video clip here from June 2016 to see how completely dis-interested Corbyn is in staying in the EU. I saw it live and I've had nothing but utter contempt for his performance on Brexit since.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36506163/corbyn-i-m-seven-out-of-10-on-eu

Think of it as an IMDB film rating. Even though he's saying seven and a half out of ten , he instantly drops it to seven, and that tone of voice means you wouldn't bother recording a film based on that recommendation never mind shelling out good money to watch it in the cinema.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Nobel laureate to be; UK Transport minister has an airlift plan in case of a no deal scenario that would throw transport of certain commodities out of whack. lol.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/10/trucks-full-food-medicines-could-flown-uk-cargo-planes-part/
    So kind of like famine or flood disaster aid you see on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am not sure if it has been linked but here is the statement from Caroline Lucas on why she picked the names she did,

https://twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1160924588508950533?s=20

And here is the statement linked in that tweet,
    Thank you for all the comments on my proposal. I wanted to start a debate, and that’s certainly happened. But I know that it’s thrown up important questions about who is on this list, why all women and why no people of colour.

An all-white list of women isn’t right. I should have reached out further and thought more deeply about who, and what kind of politics, an all-white list represents. I apologise.

For total transparency, here’s how I chose the names on the list.

I wanted the leadership/deputy leadership of all relevant parties in Westminster - three of the party leaders are women (which is the good news)

I wanted two representatives from the main opposition party to represent the diverse views within it. Emily Thornberry is the shadow foreign secretary, who most often deputises for Jeremy Corbyn. Yvette Cooper has led cross-party parliamentary attempts to stop a No Deal Brexit from the backbenches.

I wanted all parts of the UK to be part of this conversation.

I realise that I did not get this right.

This is not a coalition or “cabinet” to run the country. It’s about recognising that this is a time of emergency and in emergencies, fresh thinking is urgently needed. I want to explore whether a different dynamic could be created by bringing together a cross-party group of women on a very short term basis simply -and by that I mean a matter of days or maybe weeks - and only to broker a process to lead away from a crash-out Brexit, and towards a public vote. I have been very clear that such a grouping would never make policy beyond the public vote and a possible general election. There are profound policy disagreements between many of the women I wrote to, and I will continue to challenge views that do not align with my values no matter the working relationship. But we are united in our belief that a No Deal Brexit would be disastrous for this country, and needs to be prevented. Our best chance of doing that is by coming together to find a way forward which allows the British people to decide which course they want to take.

There are women of colour colleagues who are standing up to this Government’s reckless gamble with Britain’s future, and it was wrong to overlook them. I apologise to them and all who’ve been hurt by their exclusion. There are always lessons to be learnt, and I will do my utmost to support, value and uplift women of colour working in politics, particularly those with whom I share common ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Christ, is there not bigger issues to worry about at the moment?

lawred2 wrote: »
    And it's as simple as this apparently

https://twitter.com/LanceForman/status/1160968745864630274?s=09

This lad still hasn't realised that the trade talks happen after an orderly withdrawal...

Another one who has confused the withdrawal agreement with trade talks. It beggars belief really. But it's uttered with such surety and confidence.

I hope he enjoys the back of the line.

Yes, i'm sure big Phil Hogan sat there and took it from Steve Barclay - lol!

These people are ludicrous and beyond contempt at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So kind of like famine or flood disaster aid you see on the news?
    Air Freight is not the answer, unless you booked it long ago.

From 21 October 2018 long before the original leave date.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45931537
    Another major supermarket executive said that air freight isn't the answer: "There simply isn't the capacity at a moment when every other industry will be trying to do the same thing."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Latest comreg/telegraph poll claims 54% support proroguing Parliament to deliver Brexit

From same poll...

Brexit should be halted if problems over the Northern Ireland border threaten to split the Union

Agree: 51%
    Disagree: 49%

???????????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

From same poll...

Brexit should be halted if problems over the Northern Ireland border threaten to split the Union

Agree: 51%
    Disagree: 49%

???????????????

A majority of the Conservative and UNIONIST party members when polled support brexit at any cost even if it means the dissolution of the union......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Whatever happened to 'the best person for the job?'. Looking for a cabinet of all women is stupid, including people of colour just for that reason is equally stupid. And patronising to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well I'll take Caroline Lucas's faut pas any time, compared to the sh1t that going on in Govn't.

looksee wrote: »
    Whatever happened to 'the best person for the job?'. Looking for a cabinet of all women is stupid, including people of colour just for that reason is equally stupid. And patronising to both.

The best person for the job?

Has that truly ever been a thing in politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why are they waiting until 31/10 to leave?

Is it a dare or what, game of chicken maybe.

UK will never be a respected member of the EU now IMO no matter what happens. Bad as it may be for many of their neighbours including ourselves, they are better out than in now. It will never work anymore.

I suppose they just want the EU to kick them out and blame everyone but themselves.

Honestly it is a very dangerous game for them no matter what.

So unnecessary. Wonder who is really pulling the strings in their tactics here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Interesting Opinium poll last Friday (Don't Knows excluded):

Remain: 43%
    Leave with a clean break: 43%
    Leave but stay closely aligned: 14%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

UK will never be a respected member of the EU now IMO no matter what happens. Bad as it may be for many of their neighbours including ourselves, they are better out than in now. It will never work anymore.

I suppose they just want the EU to kick them out and blame everyone but themselves.

That's a good point. Their credibility is in tatters no matter what they do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They are biding their time until Parliament fail in their bid to stop no deal brexit.
    Then they will have the leverage to put the gun to the head of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They are biding their time until Parliament fail in their bid to stop no deal brexit.

You mean they'll put the gun to their own heads and threaten to shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭trellheim

Tom Newton Dunn from the Sun. This is likely the position so if he is pushing this
    Boris blames Remain MPs’ plots for the delay in any renegotiation of the backstop in Theresa May’s deal with the EU.

But close confidantes say he is convinced Europe’s leaders will budge over the key issue if MPs fail, because otherwise “Ireland is f*****”, they insist.

One Cabinet minister, a long standing Boris ally, told The Sun: “The EU will give us a better deal, because if they don’t Ireland is f*****. No Deal will destroy it.

“No deal hurts us, the EU and Ireland - but it hurts Ireland the most.

“A lot of Irish trade goes to Britain, and much of the rest comes through us to Europe.”

'OVERPLAYED HIS HAND'
    The Cabinet minister added of Ireland’s taoiseach: “Varadkar has overplayed his hand. He’s in deep trouble and needs a way out”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/9709116/boris-johnson-eu-cave-in-ireland-no-deal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think that it's now too late for the UK to remain in the EU. Even if there was another referendum and the result was to remain, there is no way that the rest of the EU would welcome that result. Over the past three years they have lost any respect and influence that they once had as members.
    Also, there is no way that the UK could, with any dignity, go back to the EU and say "actually we don't want to leave at all". That would be a humiliation that the British would find it hard to stomach.
    In all probability, if there was a new referendum the result would not be any more decisive than the last one and so the internal warfare would continue and cause even more disruption within the EU.
    The continuing membership of the UK is damaging the EU. The best thing that could happen is that they leave, and sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What gun.

The EU has had enough. No deal planning is done.

See ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Well, in the original two year A50 period, the UK could not leave in advance of the end of the period without being in breach of the treaty. So with the period extended, they can't leave before the end of the extended date. The exception to this is if a withdrawal agreement were made during the extension, then the UK would leave the following month.

I don't think all UK is so anti Irish at all. It is a construct of the Cummings variety and the usual media. Who is listening?

This is really awful stuff now. But I live in hope.

Sadly, I hope UK will leave now. Never thought I would say that ever, but things happen.

The disaster for us here, is if the EU might capitulate and facilitate the UK.

I sincerely hope they don't. But we have a veto I think. Not sure on what terms though. Someone might help me out here.

The EU isn't in the room any longer. There's no one left but themselves.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think that it's now too late for the UK to remain in the EU. Even if there was another referendum and the result was to remain, there is no way that the rest of the EU would welcome that result. Over the past three years they have lost any respect and influence that they once had as members.
    Also, there is no way that the UK could, with any dignity, go back to the EU and say "actually we don't want to leave at all". That would be a humiliation that the British would find it hard to stomach.
    In all probability, if there was a new referendum the result would not be any more decisive than the last one and so the internal warfare would continue and cause even more disruption within the EU.
    The continuing membership of the UK is damaging the EU. The best thing that could happen is that they leave, and sooner rather than later.

With a heavy heart, I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

trellheim wrote: »
    He does not. Go look at the FTPA

This bit?

(7)If a parliamentary general election is to take place as provided for by subsection (1) or (3), the polling day for the election is to be the day appointed by Her Majesty by proclamation on the recommendation of the Prime Minister (and, accordingly, the appointed day replaces the day which would otherwise have been the polling day for the next election determined under section 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

trellheim wrote: »
    Tom Newton Dunn from the Sun. This is likely the position so if he is pushing this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/9709116/boris-johnson-eu-cave-in-ireland-no-deal/

No source named, as usual by this ‘publication’ (I use the term very loosely)
    It’s this type of journalism that has the UK in its current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

serfboard wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you've misread the article you've quoted which says that there is no meeting scheduled - different thing. In fact the article actually says:

So in other words, a meeting is planned, but, since a date has not been fixed, it is not scheduled. I'm not being pedantic for the sake of it - the words used are important.

I was glad to see further in that article, that Jo Swinson has visited the border:

And she had a nice swipe at Boris:

It's usually the newly appointed leader who is contacted by the existing leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I don't think all UK is so anti Irish at all. It is a construct of the Cummings variety and the usual media. Who is listening?

This is really awful stuff now. But I live in hope.

Sadly, I hope UK will leave now. Never thought I would say that ever, but things happen.

The disaster for us here, is if the EU might capitulate and facilitate the UK.

I sincerely hope they don't. But we have a veto I think. Not sure on what terms though. Someone might help me out here.

It needs to be continually reiterated: WE ARE THE EU!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement