Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

otnomart wrote: »
    Algarve tourism boss: "Ireland is one of the region’s “seven principal external markets”. With 35% of air links between Ireland and Algarve currently running, Fernandes says he is confident people will still come over."
    Source: https://www.portugalresident.com/irish-will-keep-coming-to-algarve-despite-quarantine-decision/

Heading with family in September. 8 of us in total. We put it off in June.

Not a hope will we be cancelling this time unless there are no Aer Lingus flights to Faro. The south Dublin boys brigade can get stuffed with their sh*tehawk rules

• Registered Users Posts: 23,272 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unavailable to work = no pay.

Seems a basic concept.

Some can't comprehend it still. Next it'll be back to babbling about buying cars :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

polesheep wrote: »
    You stated that he won't get paid. You do not know this.

He was already abroad when the rule came into being. The rule stated that you were not to go, he didn't go... he was already gone.

I'm not on the offensive, I simply called you out on making a definitive statement when you cannot know the facts.

Given that his payment has already been stopped, it think it’s fair to assume he won’t get paid! In fact I’d go as far as to say it’s definitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Colleague heading off to Italy tomorrow for a week touring around with Italian friends. I have come across 5 retired couples that I know and a family of 6 who have travelled or are travelling to the canaries this week. Once again the people seem to be ahead of the government in their decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

pjohnson wrote: »
    Unavailable to work = no pay.

Seems a basic concept.

Some can't comprehend it still. Next it'll be back to babbling about buying cars :pac:

How will they actually know if he is paid into his bank? Data protection and all of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Benimar wrote: »
    Given that his payment has already been stopped, it think it’s fair to assume he won’t get paid! In fact I’d go as far as to say it’s definitive!

There you go again stating something to be definitive when you cannot know. When he explains that he left before the rule came into being he may well get his payment.

I don't think the regions things would be so confusing. Ireland's different because its a small country but in bigger countries there's an acceptance that circunstances can vary greatly by region.

For example if you go Brazil, you have to get shots if you are going to visit the Amazon but not if you're going to stay in places like Rio or SP.

Or just look at Australia where they are cutting off Victoria.

Yes, but it's Irish people that the list is for.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    this was well flagged in the media so no chance of getting paid, anyhow hope you you enjoyed the holiday and restriction of movements for 2 weeks:)

But he's available for work. The fact that the government don't want him to work doesn't change that.

Again, people confusing a health guidelines with a legal requirement.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Can you provide some evidence of which EU country is forcing EU citizens in quarantine centers since intra-EU travel has been allowed?

NL is Schengen and is reachable by car from Spain but that’s not the point. These are recommendations for NL citizens and Spanish people wanting to visit. If you want to dodge the rules you can take a train from Catalunya to Madrid and fly from there (just like you can fly to Belfast to dodge the Irish rules). You don’t need to drive 1.500km. The point is that they are applying some judgement and saying to their citizens: you can visit the Canaries and the Balearics but not Catalunya.
    You must think the Dutch are super smart but I don’t find that message confusing at all. Before you buy your Ryanair flight you check the foreign ministry website and see where you can and where you can’t travel. Seems pretty clear to me...

What kind of horse****e is this and why are you being so aggressive?

Schengen is Schengen. By car, by plane, whatever. We aren't Schengen. What's your point?

Slovakia was forcing all arrivals into quarantine. Regardless of who or why you were telling. I said each country was filling it's own path. Is that not correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Insurance companies have said they will cover travel to countries on the green list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Gael23 wrote: »
    Insurance companies have said they will cover travel to countries on the green list

That is great- do you have a source ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That is great- do you have a source ?

https://extra.ie/2020/07/23/news/irish-news/travel-insurance-to-cover-green-list

Irish examiner also carrying the same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭acequion

But not much good for countries not on the green list. Mine is up for renewal in a few days and thinking of letting it go. My foreseeable travel will be non green I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

acequion wrote: »
    But not much good for countries not on the green list. Mine is up for renewal in a few days and thinking of letting it go. My foreseeable travel will be non green I'm afraid.

If your renewal is now you may well be covered for all non Covid insurance issues such as theft, accident and injury etc.

I have specifically advised Chill that I am holidaying in Alicante next month and they have confirmed in writing that I will be covered (non Covid again obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the green list likely to be added to in the coming weeks and months

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is the green list likely to be added to in the coming weeks and months
    i think its reviewed every 2 weeks

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I'm not aggressive, I just have an issue with people peddling fake news and make superficial comments with no knowledge whatsoever.

Firstly, Slovakia has opened it's border on June 10th to 16 countries incl Liechtenstein, Germany, Switzerland, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Malta, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Latvia, Denmark, Norway and Iceland. Those not on the list need to provide a negative PCR test no older that 96hrs or do voluntary home isolation before a test can be administered within 5 days.

The regulations in EU are not identical in each country but there is much more homogeneity. Ireland is clearly an outlier as many European news outlets have reported over the last 24hrs after the publication of the green list

Secondly, Schengen is Shengen but Ireland decided to allow non essential travel to 14 countries/city states within Europe. My point it that they could've just as well allowed travel to a specific region (e.g. the Canary Islands) where infections rates are equal or lower. I dont find it complicated, maybe you do as you clearly have a problem understanding what you read (if you actually read). The fact that NL has allowed Spanish travel excluding 2 regions has nothing to do with Shengen. The look at data and make a decision accordingly.

You should read up a bit more before spreading misinformation. you obviously have an internet connection, try searching for facts before making bullsh*t just to prove a ridiculous point.

Aggressive, insulting and deliberately not going back to March. I specifically checked Slovakia because I have a friend from there who's father had a stroke.

Mandatory quarantine on arrival, this was changed in June to mandatory 5 days at home including the entire household for more than half the eu countries. It's now stopped. Ireland was not on their allowed countries.

Everything I have said is true. You have a chip on your shoulder over it for some reason that I don't get and he'll the need to insult people.

My point about this is equally simple, breaking up Spain when half the people getting on planes probably don't even know where the canary islands are would cause mass confusion. Just look at the issues already with the green list.

It would be great for me if they did do regions as I'm in a very low covid region at the moment but again, I'm in an area that most Irish have probable never even heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭global23214124

One way flight booked on Saturday to a country in Europe but not on the green list. Local case count seems reasonable and no need to quarantine on arrival. Looking forward to getting out of here for a few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

One way flight booked on Saturday to a country in Europe but not on the green list. Local case count seems reasonable and no need to quarantine on arrival. Looking forward to getting out of here for a few weeks.

Enjoy your holiday, but try and fly back via a "green list" country or NI or you'll end up on the Stasi list.

I flew back via Belfast recently and it was a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Enjoy your holiday, but try and fly back via a "green list" country or NI or you'll end up on the Stasi list.

Even if you do that you still have to do the restricted movements for 14 days so its not a way around it and not safe either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭global23214124

Do they ask for travel in between or can you just not mention it ?

Even if you do that you still have to do the restricted movements for 14 days so its not a way around it and not safe either.

I have to? Really? I haven't restricted my movements one iota.

Don't believe everything you read on RTE. lol :o

Do they ask for travel in between or can you just not mention it ?

No questions about travel whatsoever. You fill in their locator form online and show it to border force, that's it.

I told them I live in the ROI and they were very friendly.

And that's 13.

It's not mandatory. It's not legally required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Stick to the golf eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,272 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And that's 13.

It's not mandatory. It's not legally required.

Even if legally required the same people likely wouldnt bother anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I have to? Really? I haven't restricted my movements one iota.

Don't believe everything you read on RTE. lol :o

The point is that you _should_ restrict your movements, not that you must. If you don’t and you’re unknowingly Covid positive, you’re just being a selfish cünt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The point is that you _should_ restrict your movements, not that you must. If you don’t and you’re unknowingly Covid positive, you’re just being a selfish cünt.

And if you’re not going to do it why bother flying to Belfast, surely flying to Dublin and ignoring the advice would be easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭facehugger99

LOL - because the man on the telly tells you too?

I'm sure the virus is keeping an eye on the Irish Green list before it decides to infect people or not.

You've more chance of catching it up in Dublin that in a myriad of places that haven't made the 'green' list.

You keep up the forelock-tugging and finger-wagging though and the rest of us can engage our brains before deciding what to do.

• Advertisement

If people don't want to get the Rona, THEY can restrict THEIR movements.

I'm not ruining my life over others people's phobias and OCD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement