Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I am also not sure how they are positioned to tell the difference between someone heading off on a weekend city break and someone who is genuinely leaving Ireland to go and see out the lockdown elsewhere. A lot of people who can work from home are leaving are leaving for a good while I think, given the cheap accommodation in warmer climes. I'm going to Valencia in a few days and plan to be there for 3 months. if you show a Guard a one way ticket how are they to determine whether or not the travel is frivolous or permitted (a relocation / house move is allowed under the restrictions - like I can drive from Dublin to Cork with no penalty if I am moving or viewing a house).

The trip I was planning means 2 one way flights rather than a return ticket because it starts and finishes somewhere different so that’s not a bad idea to show the guards a one way ticket

Will the fines be covered by existing travel insurance? :D

Gael23 wrote: »
    The trip I was planning means 2 one way flights rather than a return ticket because it starts and finishes somewhere different so that’s not a bad idea to show the guards a one way ticket

who has tickets anymore??
    you either already have a boarding pass on your phone or print out, or you just hand the passport in at check in!
    sure no one has tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

If somebody had an appointment at the Randox testing centre at T2 then they won't get fined for entering the airport. Of course if they happened to also have a boarding pass and wondered into the terminal building and found themselves seated on a plane out of here nothing can be done either.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Only in the absence of an essential reason to fly.

It's putting the Gardai in a really difficult position to have to make what is a personal judgement on whether the travel is essential. If you've a set of skis sticking out the taxi window, then maybe it's straightforward. But if there is a persuasive story I don't know what they can do, except maybe issue a fine to all and advise you to appeal.

To be safe, I'm going to show my UK passport. My travel is not frivolous, and think I am perfectly entitled to leave the country for a prolonged period (a number of months, possibly for the rest of lockdown, not just a holiday). But I guess they are less likely to look to fine a British citizen than an Irish one

And I'll flash my Irish one if I'm ever in the UK :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Benimar wrote: »
    They can't, but can issue someone with a nice €500 fine for travelling to the airport.

Guards can arrest and hold you for up to 48 hours without charge which they should do to ensure you miss your flight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It's putting the Gardai in a really difficult position to have to make what is a personal judgement on whether the travel is essential. If you've a set of skis sticking out the taxi window, then maybe it's straightforward. But if there is a persuasive story I don't know what they can do, except maybe issue a fine to all and advise you to appeal.

To be safe, I'm going to show my UK passport. My travel is not frivolous, and think I am perfectly entitled to leave the country for a prolonged period (a number of months, possibly for the rest of lockdown, not just a holiday). But I guess they are less likely to look to fine a British citizen than an Irish one

And I'll flash my Irish one if I'm ever in the UK :)

Both times I returned to Ireland in 2020 (one was for a family bereavement(, I contacted the Gardai to ask about what proof was needed if stopped by the Gardaí. It wasn't a problem for my first trip (which wasn't for a funeral), Ireland wasn't in lockdown. The funeral was during lockdown 2. When return to the airport I asked the Gardaí did I need to provide proof of residing abroad or the funeral details and he said no, just explain it to the Garda. The only question he asked me was how long was I leaving Ireland for. (I guess to suss out if I was just going on holiers)

On neither trips was I stopped anyway but I carried the documents with me. Im curious to see if they are checking documents this time round.

Oh and before anyone asks, I did the 14 day isolation for both trips with the exception of attending the funeral and support the relevant family members. I had been tested. No contacted me to check my whereabouts on the second trip. Not even a text message to tell me to isolate. (Maybe because I highlighted the trip as essential on the form? Then again no one in the airport questioned it)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Guards can arrest and hold you for up to 48 hours without charge which they should do to ensure you miss your flight

No argument from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Won't happen, but do carry on. I find these type of suggestions funny. Perhaps an interment camp for anyone found in possession of a suitcase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greenpilot

The sense of entitlement within this thread shows the complete disconnect between those who feel wronged by having their holidays/ time abroad disrupted and the real world is, while shocking, is not surprising, given the complete disregard for the situation we find ourselves in.
    Holidays and travel plans are far from the minds of the vast majority of families who have found themselves unemployed, on PUP, their businesses destroyed, leaving cert year students surrounded by complete ambiguity, to name but a fraction.
    Our eldest daughter, trying to sit her leaving and with no Indication of an outcome in June, cannot and has not visited her grandmother 11km away, yet many on this thread, that she is currently reading and sharing among her friends on Twitter, complain about a disrupted holiday.
    Those saying that they are heading away for a few months to "work from home" are failing to pull the wool over the eyes of those most effected.
    This flawed viewpoint regarding the disruption of travel to warmer climates and the subsequent behaviour towards travel is exactly the reason why we will still be locked down in September.
    The vast majority of people watching Prime Time have every reason to be angry. Eventually, the bill comes due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

greenpilot wrote: »
    The sense of entitlement within this thread shows the complete disconnect between those who feel wronged by having their holidays/ time abroad disrupted and the real world is, while shocking, is not surprising, given the complete disregard for the situation we find ourselves in.
    Holidays and travel plans are far from the minds of the vast majority of families who have found themselves unemployed, on PUP, their businesses destroyed, leaving cert year students surrounded by complete ambiguity, to name but a fraction.
    Our eldest daughter, trying to sit her leaving and with no Indication of an outcome in June, cannot and has not visited her grandmother 11km away, yet many on this thread, that she is currently reading and sharing among her friends on Twitter, complain about a disrupted holiday.
    Those saying that they are heading away for a few months to "work from home" are failing to pull the wool over the eyes of those most effected.
    This flawed viewpoint regarding the disruption of travel to warmer climates and the subsequent behaviour towards travel is exactly the reason why we will still be locked down in September.
    The vast majority of people watching Prime Time have every reason to be angry. Eventually, the bill comes due.

When did your daughter last visit her grandmother?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Detain you for 48 hours "Just for the craic" eh? Such BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TobyHolmes

The title of this thread is Travel hence people are discussing travel. People are entitled to discuss when they think they will be able to travel again. Its not entitlement- its a way of life for most people. I can guarantee people on this thread were not on the plane to lanzarote as frankly we are all sitting here at home lamenting about it - thats our right - or do you want to take that away from us as well and just continue to JUDGE. take your anger somewhere else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Agreed. Despite a few voices in this thread, the reality is there aren't gangs of Irish holiday makers jetting over Europe on their jollies, especially now. Most EU countries are in either lockdown or have restrictions that limit social activities. Spain and the canaries included.
    wrote:

Those who did, more power to them (within reason). They aren't circulating transmission in Ireland if they are gone for a period of months. They have to abide by rules abroad and have to abide by the new rules when they return. Theres a world of difference between living somewhere and going off on a boozy holiday
    wrote:

We didn't see Prime Time outside pubs and restaurants in December when Ireland lost the run of itself. We didn't see Prime Time outside pubs or restaurants who were stretching or breaking the guidelines for being open. But we are seeing them in the airport shaming travellers.

You know, RTE, going to the airport shaming travellers. The same RTE who organised a going away party in their lobby and not one fine was issued to anyone.

Also notice how the Mother and Baby homes story has disappeared from the media now that travel has suddenly becomes a 'priority'? Has anyone even read that offence and pathetic apology from Galway County Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The sudden obsession with foreign travel is so bizarre. Let's hope it dies down into the Spring.

The sudden obsession with foreign travel is so bizarre. Let's hope it dies down into the Spring.

I think I picked you up wrong - you meant the media's sudden obsession! The original post then is directed to them :)

a sudden obsession? people in ireland have always loved travel. we live on a bloody rainy rock in the middle of the atlantic ocean. Talking about Travel isnt actually Travel. Stop judging people for talking about it.

faceman wrote: »
    Agreed. Despite a few voices in this thread, the reality is there aren't gangs of Irish holiday makers jetting over Europe on their jollies, especially now. Most EU countries are in either lockdown or have restrictions that limit social activities. Spain and the canaries included.

Those who did, more power to them (within reason). They aren't circulating transmission in Ireland if they are gone for a period of months. They have to abide by rules abroad and have to abide by the new rules when they return.

We didn't see Prime Time outside pubs and restaurants in December when Ireland lost the run of itself. We didn't see Prime Time outside pubs or restaurants who were stretching or breaking the guidelines for being open. But we are seeing them in the airport shaming travellers.

You know, RTE, going to the airport shaming travellers. The same RTE who organised a going away party in their lobby and not one fine was issued to anyone.

Also notice how the Mother and Baby homes story has disappeared from the media now that travel has suddenly becomes a 'priority'? Has anyone even read that offence and pathetic apology from Galway County Council?

The Golfgate politicians were also readmitted to there various parties the same day the Mother and Baby homes report was released. People in this country are really blind to the behaviour of those running the show.

The Golfgate politicians were also readmitted to there various parties the same day the Mother and Baby homes report was released. People in this country are really blind to the behaviour of those running the show.

now they have everyone angry at their neighbor instead of those in power. CHECKMATE

Running out of scapegoats, they'll be back to blaming young people soon enough.

RTE rehired Seanie and everything!

The government's campaign of divide and conquering the public has really worked this time.

• Advertisement

Just to add something because there are a few posters here who are redirecting anger in the wrong place - let me tell you something - it is so wrong to judge your neighbour, to shame them in the way that Primetime did last night. People are angry. But no one knows anyone elses personal issues or reasoning. Blame the people who decided that planes can continue to fly in and out of the airports, or not insisting on a 2 week quarantine or proper testing. Take a look at yourself before you judge your neighbor. OR do we want to go back to the days of WW2 - where people reported on each other. Humans have the power to destroy each other. Dont let it happen. Be Better. Do Better.

Won't happen, but do carry on. I find these type of suggestions funny. Perhaps an interment camp for anyone found in possession of a suitcase?

Maybe not, I don't own a crystal ball so can't say myself for definite, but they are entitled to

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Detain you for 48 hours "Just for the craic" eh? Such BS!

I don't think they'd do it for the craic but they would have the right to if you were suspected of breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't think they'd do it for the craic but they would have the right to if you were suspected of breaking the law

The law protecting unrestricted movement??? Couldn't resist lol.

Couldn't resist, essentially they're inferring kidnapping until there is a law in place, the pace our legislation moves at that could take a while - Covid would hopefully be a thing of the past by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

the scare, gloom and doom posters here will have us googling type of shackles

If people who have a wfh business and dont have an eighty year old to hug and are doing the safe thing where they are, fcuk ooof mind your own business its begrudgry at the highest.

A few frontline Irish workers here thinking the same.

And fcuk RTE for it zero covid policy dont listen or watch just heard the stupid show last night running around the airport sorry i wasnt it would have been a rear end greeting for the bunch of over paid tossers

faceman wrote: »
    RTE rehired Seanie and everything!

The government's campaign of divide and conquering the public has really worked this time.

I don't think they've managed to do the conquer part very well though, most of the chatter I hear is that the govt aren't doing enough at the borders

I don't think they've managed to do the conquer part very well though, most of the chatter I hear is that the govt aren't doing enough at the borders

When you turn your people against each other they have no time to look at 'you'.
    As I said the scapegoats are dwindling in number. Although I saw on the Journal there is upset at joggers and cyclists not wearing a mask. Politicians it seems will be safe for another while.

bladespin wrote: »
    The law protecting unrestricted movement??? Couldn't resist lol.

Couldn't resist, essentially they're inferring kidnapping until there is a law in place, the pace our legislation moves at that could take a while - Covid would hopefully be a thing of the past by then.

If COVID is a thing of the past this year which I think is doable I can see NZ style quarantine being a thing until other countries have zero COVID and similar border restrictions

When you turn your people against each other they have no time to look at 'you'.
    As I said the scapegoats are dwindling in number. Although I saw on the Journal there is upset at joggers and cyclists not wearing a mask. Politicians it seems will be safe for another while.

soon it will be shaming the joggers and cyclists on social media - this has to stop!

Define safe? Other than bringing back their golfgate senators (which was very wrong and definitely escaped under the radar) they haven't really done anything else while all this is going on

• Advertisement

what?
    under what law?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement