Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Car successfully moved to new plates. No mention of Address in England. They only cared what was showing on the V5C which was Northern Ireland and the fact it was registered there pre Brexit cutoff (31/12/2020)

Total cost to import: €11.20 tire recycling fee.

€36 to Halfords to print and stick on new plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Is it worth bringing in a car from England anymore,looking at a kia pro ceed gt line,works out cheaper than here after vrt added,what else do you have to pay now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pohini

How did the VRT go for you?

I'm also looking to buy a car from NI, most likely a 2021 or 2022 reg one and I find the details on the revenue.ie page vague and open for interpretations.

It would be useful to provide some examples of documents that prove the car was registered for the first time in NI and also that proves it has never been exported and/or re-registered.

Any thoughts on this

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That page is not vague at all.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I opened an enquiry through myrevenue and they were quick to respond. 24 hours I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

I'm prettly settled on the A5 I'm buying up the North. I've been told Revolut is the best solution for money transferring (£15k). What are peoples thoughts. The company does delivery to Ireland but I can't get over the idea of buying it before seeing it - hell of a long spin though.

Has anyone experience with Revolut or better recommendations?

No complaints with Revolut. Instant transfer to UK bank accounts every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Conversations 3

Hi all,

Looking to import a 2012 hilux from the North. Registered there before brexit etc.

It will be a commercial vehicle so what fees will I have to pay?

Thanks

Commercial VRT is €200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Quick question: Can garages here bring in cars from the UK without VAT, ie at the same price they would have been pre Brexit?

I see cars for sale that look like UK imports and am assuming garages are able to bring them in without the extra price private importers have faced since pre Brexit?

Thanks

Yes but they need to pay 10% customs duty. And UK car prices are higher now than before Brexit and VRT is also higher so its not exactly like before Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Ah yes, I forgot about the customs!

So, if I'm a car dealer bringing in cars from the UK it's the same as pre brexit (ie I have to pay for car, VRT) and now customs @10% but otherwise the same basic process?

Kind of. They have to pay the UK VAT and reclaim it from HMRC, and then pay Irish VAT and reclaim it from Revenue, so it eventually works out as paying very little VAT.

But instead of only paying VAT on their profit margin they now need to pay VAT on the full sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It has been further freed up in that you no longer need to buy vat qualifying cars. HMRC will write a cheque for 1/6 of invoice price of a non vat qualifying car on export from UK. Dealers only.

Cars are more expensive in uk compared to pre brexit and there is the duty in some cases but cars are mental here so should be big savings on the right car. Phev have tiny vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

2 people at work here have bought UK imports on the last 2 weeks - both PHEV (BMW, Audi).

Both of them worked out at a relative pittance in VRT to bring in compared to a diesel and compared to buying here.

The VAT system is changing soon and should streamline line it, but it will only work if you buy through a dealer here: private imports won't get the benefit afaik.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

VAT system has changed already. Unlikely to see the savings passed on to the customer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Frostybear

Hi,

So reading a few previous pages of this discussion am I correct in saying that if the car is registered in NI before end of 2020 then if you import it you don't have to pay customs or VAT? So you just have to pay VRT charges?

I had a read of this page too (cant link so google 'vrt ie buying a car in northern ireland')

It has great info...but it mentions to avoid private sellers, a strange sweeping statement. It seems to me like if you just do your homework on the car (vehicle history check) and make sure the v5c is correct then its not actually that hard of a process? Get a customs declaration from revenue (might be worth paying a company to do this, sounds like a headache), book in for VRT inspection and bobs your uncle?

Also what's this thing it mentions of a pre purchase inspection...as in bring the car to a mechanic when you're test driving it? Ya know...like common sense if you don't know your way around cars. Or maybe the mechanic goes to the seller and checks it for you?

Sorry a lot of questions/points above to digest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Trying to figure out costs and tax. Are these NI plates?

😎

• Advertisement

A bit confused, dealer suggested I would be paying 3% VAT (the difference) to Ireland. Because the car is after 2021 (3 years). Another dealer said the full whack would be due on a similar car? what makes them vat qualifying or not?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Anyone know how long it takes for a new stat code to added.

Its mad really, I have a rare enough model, the exact model as per the V5 is on the list with revenue but on the revenue side the difference in BHP between whats on their side vs the V5 is 4 so that warrants a new stat code.

They submitted my application Monday last week but I havnt heard back.

Any ideas?

Where are you buying the car?

Is it a uk car or NI registered car?

If a dealer is sourcing you a uk car, it should be all in price registered on irish plate. The dealer will be claiming back uk vat or a similar rebate from uk and then charging vat here on the sale.

If you are trying to source anything without having a dealer import it for you, it must be in NI reg from new or if older car, have been in NI pre brexit.

both are from a dealer, i guess one might have imported it and managing VAT down south, with the other not doing that ...?

😎

You are looking for advice but not really answering questions. It's hard to help you.

2 different dealers in NI have similar car, same year 2021, both are on uk reg, and cars are in NI now. One indicated full vat down here, the other said car was under 3 years old so would only be the difference in VAT. Im guessing one is setup with irish revenue and the other may not be

😎

You will have to pay the dealer invoice in NI which will include vat.

You will have to pay 23 percent irish vat and 10 percent duty, vrt and nox tax.

It's a complete not runner to try to import yourself now unless its a NI car.

If an Irish dealer was to bring in those.same cars and sell them to you, they will claim back the uk vat and pay irish vat so the car is costing you more to bring than a dealer.

So if the NI dealer has an irish subsidiary how do they process it?

😎

If they have, they need to be selling you the car on irish plates and you have no concerns about vat or duty or vrt or nox.

Their Irish branch will be able to reclaim uk vat BUT an Irish dealer cannot sell you a car on uk plates. They have to have it on Irish plates with all taxes paid.

The long and short of it is, get a genuine NI car or get a dealer here to source you a car.

• Advertisement

Maybe they put it on irish plates and work it that way so.

May still work out 5-6k cheaper than buying from irish dealers.

😎

Advertisement