Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TheBetsy

Hi all,

Looking at a car in the North, 2019 on UK reg and imported into the north less than 6 months ago.

Based on reading the thread, im guessing the car would be liable to VRT and VAT @23%.

Does that seem correct?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yes, if it came into NI after Brexit then it's liable for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will also be liable for customs duty - 10% of the sales invoice price including any transport charge afaik.

If you want to avoid VAT and customs charges then the car needs have been registered in NI before 01/01/21 i.e. Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

Correct me if I'm wrong, werent there some changes to the way VAT is handled for imports now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes, for traders only.

It will make no difference if they bring in a vat qualifying car but they can now bring in any car and if not vat qualifying, the trader can claim a rebate from uk revenue of 1/6 of the price which is similar to vat amount.

Irish vat, duty and vrt still to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

Hi,

is this for car traders only or can any VAT registered company buy a car in the UK and sell on here again and get the same rebate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sbob990

I'm looking to import a Range Rover Evoque from the North. I will be getting it converted to a 2 seat commercial. Would it be considered as a Passenger or Commercial vehicle for VRT purposes?

I’d imagine an Evoque will be too small to convert. Never seen one as a 2 seater.

VRT would be 13% if you can convert

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sbob990

Wife found one on donedeal but she's looking for a white one for her company.

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/range-rover-td4-evoque-pure-2-seat-n1/34470093

Got a quote of 800+ VAT to convert one from Kanes Conversions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

I'm looking for some advice, I've imported plenty of cars from the UK over the years. The last was 3 years ago when everything was grand regarding Brexit. I'm now looking to import a car, just from NI as firstly it is the only one I can find on the island that meets my criteria and budget and secondly because going to the UK just doesn't seem to offer value.

The car was registered in Belfast in 2019 and has been a fleet vehicle since then. My question is does this mean the car is Vat Qualifying, and if it is can I bring it in and pay the VAT here. The reason I am hoping this would work is that I qualify for the Disabled Drivers scheme so have up to €16,000 rebate on VRT and VAT. The car is about €10,000 in VRT so if I could reduce the VAT by €6,000 it would make life much better.

Secondly, does anyone know of a reputable dealer or agent who can source this specific car so I can avail of the VAT discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Looking at importing a 2020 February model electric car originally priced under 45k.

The car was registered in Belfast since birth according to Dealer and it says it on the V5 cert.

This would mean it's registered before the 2021 cut-off.

Although when I check the reg on https://www.checkcardetails.co.uk It showing as originally registered in Reading.

There has only ever been 1 owner of this vehicle until sold to dealership and the dealer said he checked everything and its registered in NI. I done a quick google to check NI reg vs UK reg formatting and the NI reg format checks out so it does seem like he's telling the truth.

Is there anything or any charges I'm missing before making dropping a deposit?

I suppose the last thing I'm worried about is any nasty surprises.

Ok so it looks like the car is registered in NI.

A lot of places as part of the list of stuff required mention “exemption notification letter from Revenue”

do I need to provide this as the car will be exempt for VRT as its electric and due a rebate which covers any VRT charge or is that letter just for someone who is relocating to Ireland from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Looking at buying a 2015 VW caddy van in the north. NI reg and no vat on it.

What are the charges on van imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

I'm looking at a pre 2020 car in the north. Just before COVID I imported one and it went great and we have had no trouble. So thinking of going back to same company.

What do I have to make sure of? That it was registered in the north only?

Also I hear there is a delay in having to pay VRT. What is the delay time? I've about €12k right now so if I could spend all that how many months would I have to save to pay the VRT?

Any suggestions. Second family car but mainly the car I'll use to go up/down to Dublin few days a week for work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Car either has to have been registered from day 1 in the North or if originally from the mainland UK and imported to the North it needs to have been registered in the North prior to 01/01/21 to avoid VAT + customs charges due to Brexit.

There is no delay in having to pay VRT. You have 7 days from the date of bringing the car into the country to book a VRT appointment and 30 days in total to pay the VRT on it.

This is what I'm referring to below from revenue website. But it's taking months to get an NCTS slot. So if I make a booking and it's 4 months out I have no other choice.

"The requirement to register

It is an offence to drive an unregistered vehicle in the State. If you do not register your vehicle, Revenue or the Gardaí can detain it. It could also be seized by Revenue and may be released on the payment of a penalty.

The National Car Testing Service (NCTS) registers vehicles on behalf of Revenue. To register a vehicle, you must:

• make an appointment with the NCTS within seven days of bringing the vehicle into the State
    • and
    • register it within 30 days of bringing it into the State.

You will pay additional VRT if you fail to register the vehicle within 30 days. This usually arises where evidence of the date of entry into the State is not produced."

You book the VRT appointment using the link below. You are not booking an NCT therefore there is no backlog.

Prestige marquee in Antrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 galambos93

Hi,

I am currently looking at importing a vehicle from Northern Ireland.

This is 2013 Lexus which is originally a UK mainland registered car but has been in NI since 2015 when it was only 2 years old. My understanding is that if I have proof of the car being in NI since before 2021 then I am not liable to pay VAT and Customs Duty? Is this correct? If so, what documentation is needed to prove this and what is acceptable? The current owner lives just outside Belfast and has this vehicle since July 2022 therefore the V5C shows it registered to his address since that date which is not before 2021. In addition the vehicle comes with a full service history from Belfast lexus and they confirmed that the car has been visiting them yearly since 2015. The online MOT records show that the MOT have been carried out in Belfast since 2018 (the year they started recording it online). As I'm sure you are aware, they will not provide me with previous owners address due to GDPR. The current owner bought it locally near Belfast and the previous owner had the vehicle since before 2021. There is no ferry ticket or transport invoice available due to the car arriving in North nearly 10 years ago.

What else could I get or provide to prove the vehicle being in NI since before 2021 in order to not have to pay VAT and Customes Duty?

Thank you in advance.

The service history and MOT history will suffice

How would you prove the car was registered in NI if it has no MOT history as it’s a 2020 registered car. Would the V5C suffice showing previous owner and registered date with NI address?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭chooseusername

This caused a bit of confusion here as well. I knew I had to import the car and get it registered (VRT) before I could book an NCT. I rang the VRT number and was told to take it to the NCT place, I said I can't book an NCT until I get it registered. There was a bit of confusing back and forth until the penny dropped; The NCT place also did the VRT, but they are seperate, actually the person on the phone was very good and got a date for the VRT within a week. Having got the new reg., booking the NCT was a different baby; November, January, March, so I phoned up a they put me on some priority list I imagine everyone is on. I kept looking online and slots were coming up, but when I got to book the slot it was no longer available, obviously the site was not being updated as the slots were booked. I gave it one last try on the Thurs and there was a slot at 4:10 on the Sat and was surprised to get on it. So from Importing the car, insuring, registering, taxing and NCT took just over 3 weeks. So keep looking online for NCT slots and you might be lucky.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for trusted dealers in the North?

Ok for anyone else wondering this. I have found it almost impossible to find a straight answer. I spoke with revenue and the extremely unfriendly and unhelpful woman told me I would need to provide previous Insurance details of original owner showing NI and tax paid in NI which is not possible for me to obtain but then I found this straight from the horses mouth it appears she's wrong

Link - https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-02-15/284/

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at importing a car from NI, its 2022. I'm buying it from the dealership from which it was originally sold as new in NI, yet when I run the plates through checkcardetails.co.uk it identifies "Registration Place: Birmingham". The sales person has advised the car has been on its current plates from new. What do I require from the dealer to satisfy to revenue that it was first registered in NI, or is it even possible to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

If its current plates are NI plates and the only ones from new, it is difficult to understand how it could have been registered in Birmingham.

My experience of car-check companies has not been a positive one - indeed I would not have my current car if I had not double-checked the erroneous information supplied by an Irish car-check company.

The car I purchased from NI is registered there from what the dealer has told me. He said it’s been on NI plates since day one which makes sense because i can see from a history check the plates never changed and they are NI format. The Same website as the one you mention tells me it originated in Reading which I don’t understand. Maybe the vehicle is brand new and taken by truck from England to NI but it’s origin destination is different from its registration destination which would mean in my case and yours, the cars are NI from new. But the Original drop off location is England. I’m guessing this is what it is. Ill report back here after VRT appointment on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Out of interest I did check the registration place for a number of NI plated cars for sale on that particular website, all of which identified cities in mainland UK.

Advertisement