Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TWIreland

Ok so this is pretty much the same as importing a car from the UK pre Brexit so?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

I did a transfer of €8,000 with the phone to the dealer standing beside me on Revolut and took the car away. Handiest way but a bank draft is probably better for large amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Yep nothing has changed for Northern Ireland it's the same as it was before Brexit, but you do have to make sure it's a Northern Irish car from new. i.e. NOT imported to the North from mainland UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya beckevans were the one I was in touch with.

Had some stock of their own ready to go and were happy to source vat qualifying stuff for export.

• Advertisement

Yeah they seem good, the other crowd charge 4% and were very good at getting back. I sent the guy a link to the car I am thinking of buying and he had a written quote back the same day. I am used to waiting weeks for Irish companies to reply, so was a bit of a shock 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

I bought from Matt in beckevans last year,great to deal with.

Did you buy from his own stock?

So how did it work out. He sold the car less vat to you I presume?

From stock yes,bought inc vat and got it back after I proved it was exported,I sent him a copy of the vlc

How did you export it? Did you travel over and drive back yourself or did you organise a carrier?

• Advertisement

I drove back,cheapest quote was 1100 e so made a trip out of it,stayed near Swindon on Saturday night and got ferry to rosslare on Sunday,sidcup is south east of London area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

So you paid for the car vat inclusive and when you returned to Ireland you claimed back the vat with no issues whatsoever is that correct?

I thought the vat exemption was for NI vehicles only or have I missed something completely? Apologies if I have, appreciate any tips/guidance in this process.

Definitely the best way, I used to live in Swindon. Good central point from Wales and London.

Both cars I have I did exact same, but before Brexit.

The carexporter.co.uk guy was telling me that they have to do the export as that what HMRC specifies. With them they sell the car there and then vat free, so that's probably the reason they want to make sure it leaves UK. A bit annoying, I would go with beck Evans but the car I want is a cat N and they won't deal with it. 😐 So still trying to see whats best option.

The dealer gave me the vat back on a vat q car

Ok thanks, I am looking at their site and I see a car I like which is vat qualifying but I just don't understand how it is exempt from Vat, are these vat qualifying vehicles first registered in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭User1998

You still have to pay Irish VAT and customs duty when you import the car. The difference with these cars is that they were purchased by VAT registered businesses in the UK, so they can sold for export without VAT, or sold to other VAT registered businesses with a VAT invoice so they can reclaim the VAT.

NI cars are exempt from Irish VAT, but still have UK VAT. These cars are exempt from UK VAT, but you pay Irish VAT.

It's nothing got to do with Northern Ireland. Vat qualifying vehicles that are exported out of mainland UK and to the EU (Ireland) can be sold ex vat.

You still have to pay Vat in the Rep of Ireland so it's that you don't pay Vat twice.

It's like if you bought a brand new car in any country you would be exempt from paying vat in that country but you would pay it once you arrive in Ireland.

So not entirely vat exempt but you get around not paying it twice.

Hope this helps.

Also you mention vat exemption from Northern Ireland that again isn't entirely correct. A secondhand vehicle would of already paid the northern Irish vat and if you bring it down to another EU country (Ireland) you don't have to pay vat again as per any other EU country.

The vat qualifying cars are vehicles that vat have not been accounted for. I.e. business owned vehicles or rented cars.

So with these you can buy ex UK vat and then pay Irish vat once you arrive in Ireland.

You have to pay Irish vat on any car brought from any non EU country like the mainland UK or Japan.

Thanks for the info lads, much appreciated.

Trying to make sure I don’t miss any hidden cost when I bring the vehicle in, VRT calculator says €10k cost when it lands here but still a huge saving compared to cost here.

Absolutely no problem. Just check about the customs charge as well and then nox (which I think is included when you calculate the vrt)

Definitely savings to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 lenehandavid

I am thinking of buying a motor home from a seller up the north. From everything they told me it was originally registered in England, but brought into Ireland in 2020 before the Brexit cutoff date. I believe for VRT purposed I just need to have the V5 form? If so, when looking at the V5 form from the seller, what exactly am I looking for on it that proves it was in NI before the cutoff date? also, will VRT/Revenue ask me for anything else?

Apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it.

The change of ownership date to the owner in Northern Ireland will suffice

Has anyone ever bought a car from MHH international? They have a car I am interested in, I see they do will bring the car into Ireland for you too, would appreciate feedback on costs for this service too if anyone has used them, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 material

Hi all.

Looking for some advice on this VRT/Customs/Duty situation.

The car in question:

1.      Buying from NI main dealer

2.      Car has NI registration plate (ABC1234) There is no indication on V5C of registration number changing at any stage.

3.      Car first registered in early Dec 2020

4.      Car has service history with NI garages. (I don’t believe car ever moved to GB but have no other proof)

5.      Car is not quoted as VAT qualifying.

6.      Car V5C indicates 1no. Former Keeper  

7.      Current V5C shows listed owner as being a vehicle rental co. with GB address shown.

8.      V5C shows them (I presume) acquired vehicle in Dec 21

9.      V5C states vehicle was new on first registration.

Any questions – please ask.

I have no problem with paying VRT on this.

However where would this car stand in relation to Customs & Duty charges? Is there anything to be concerned about.

Thanks in advance.

If the current owner from 2021 has a main land uk address, you could be in bother in terms of vat and duty.

If buying in NI, I'd like a car with clear NI history so as not to muddy the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lenehandavid

Here is a slightly unusual situation. Looking at buying motorhome from a company in NI that were using it as a rental. They have owned it from the start and it was registered in NI in 7/20. The V5 shows that date, and the name and address of the company in NI. I assumed this would be pretty straightforward, I buy it and pay VRT on it.

Then the other day, the company called me and assumed I would want to be paying for it excluding any VAT since I would be exporting it out of NI. Then it occurred to me, since they bought it new and they are a company then they would never have paid VAT for it, which makes it VAT qualifying I think. So what does this mean for a pre-brexit import?

Should I pay the VAT up there, and then pay the VRT down here?

OR

If I dont pay the VAT up there, am I obliged to pay VRT AND VAT down here?

OR

|Is this some kind of unicorn whereby I dont have to pay VAT up there and not be liable for paying it down here either (only VRT)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gracepeters

As a first timer, where is the best place to import a car? Toyota Estima from? Who can put me through i have no idea which website to buy from? How do i process it? Thanks.

First post on Importing from Japan thread will answer your question

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gracepeters

Thanks mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭billgibney

It seems to be a bit of a minefield!

I'm looking to import a 2022 captur from the north.

I know it was bought new up north and never had left there so it shouldn't be liable for VAT however..

It says the registration place is Worcester!

One or two cars whose registration I've entered say N/A so I assume they were first registered there as it's a separate database.

Any ideas?

Advertisement