Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I just assumed if it's not registered within the 30 days you're fined, but I couldn't find much information on the Revenue website about what happens if the wait for their VRT figure takes you past the 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I'd just keep a copy in the car while driving incase you're stopped. And make sure your insurance covers you. Otherwise I'd say you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭User1998

By default you still have to pay the late VRT penalty even if its not your fault the registration took more than 30 days, but the VRT staff can manually remove it. Anyway its only 0.01% per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Just bought a 171 Petrol 996cc Automatic Toyota Vitz a Japanese import when taxing online was coming up as €270 thought it should be €200, just queried with Revenue and now it has been changed to €400 does anyone know if this is correct. Looks like should not have queried it.

The tax rate depends on the Co2 document you submitted for VRT

Lower Co2 = lower tax

• Advertisement

Car sales did VRT clearence with a Co2 of 141

141 grams is €390, 140 grams would have been €280

All resolved now,contacted Revenue again a very helpfull girl got it corrected and now down to €200

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Just for anyone else in the future. Got the text yesterday & paid last night No mention at all of a fine thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Proper order too seeing as it was their delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭sligopaul

Folks

Looking at an NI car and it has always been an NI car, the family moved the ownership to a parent when the child emigrated so V5 shows change of ownership as last Nov, and they are now selling, it has been serviced by a family member so no receipts and they only have the last physical mot from Nov last year, looking at the MOT history I can see going back to 2018 MOTs were carried out in NI, has anyone contacted the vehicles agency in the north to obtain back copies , has anyone managed to used these as proof of vehicle domicile for VRT or can we contact DVLA re ownership

Anyone been here before and what have you done

Thanks in advance

@rowanh

How did you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DollarBill0000

Hi,

Has anyone seen confirmation on the changes to VAT by the UK from July due to the NI protocol. This will allow for a reclaim of the VAT paid when importing a car.

VRT and customs duties will remain but VAT at 23% appears to be the main barrier from importing at the moment.

Thanks

Only applies to VAT registered traders, and doesn’t come into effect until September for EU members

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Corradobri

Hi,

Looking for some advice re Vrt for this scenario.

In may 2020 i bought a shell of a 1992 car in uk initially to use as a parts doner for another irish car i had started to restore .

This shell had no engine and gearbox, running gear and most of the interior was missing also!

For various reasons the resto was put on hold until this year and it turned out it made much more sense to restore the uk car as it was a great rust free shell compared to what i had .

The car is now in a drivable state and i want to vrt it . how do i stand regarding penalties etc when i make the application ?

I have a letter of sale from the private uk owner dated 2020 outlining the state of the car at time of sale and an invoice from the transport company who shipped it over to me at this time also . i also have a paypal transfer to the previous owner along with numerous photo,s from the date of delivery.

Im thinking all this should prove the car was in ireland before 2021? Also the car was not in a drivable state until a few weeks ago when i fitted a new engine and interior ,wheels etc so i could not have presented it for vrt previously .

Obviously as the car is over 30 years old now i would like to be presented with the applicable fee but how do you think revenue will view this situation and what is the best course of action to come out with the best possible outcome for me ? Thanks in Advance ..

Sounds like €200 VRT and no VAT or customs duty. No late penalty for vintage cars afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

is there a particular date in September for this?

Thats great if that's the case , I thought they might load penalties on me from the time of import in may 2020 until it turned 30 years in april 2022?

My arguement is that it was never in a fit state to present for Vrt inspection until now ?

I'm going into the vrt office this week to see what the story is anyway. Ill update on progress.

To be honest that argument wouldn’t wash with them, but as long as its vintage I believe the maximum penalty they can apply is €200, as well as the €200 vintage VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If it was incapable of running (and not just because you removed the battery or something similarly minor) then it will not have constituted a mechanically propelled vehicle at the point of importation and thus no VRT was then due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

Hi folks,

I'm considering buying an used car from Audi Belfast, gave them a ring regarding one car which was in stock and they said they wouldn't be able to sell it to a resident of the republic due to "warranty issues".. Any reason why this would be true or whether I'd have any trouble registering the vehicle if I didn't mention this to dealer in the first place? I vaguely remember seeing something about Audi in particular somewhere on boards a while back but can't find the specific post anymore. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So potentially 400e max? I could live with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The definition of “mechanically propelled vehicle” in section 130 Finance Act 1992 and in particular limb (d) of the definition which requires that it is capable of achieving propulsion at the time of registration.

Hi all

I’ve found a car that tickets all the boxes

after converting to euro it works out at 20k

vrt is 7,200

i see that there was 2 owners, will that affect the quoted vrt rate ?

is there anything I need to check in terms of docs ?

lastly with changes to VRT coming into affect will I save much more? Would it the 7,200 minus 25%

just trying to weigh up options

same car in ROI with 30+40k more kilometers is €25k and anything around the same is €30k

I think you need to do a bit more research first.

Has the car been registered in NI since before Brexit? If not then add 33.3% import duties.

The amount of owners on a car doesn’t effect VRT

VRT isn’t changing. UK export procedure is changing, and only applies to VAT registered traders, and is 20% not 25%

Thanks appreciate the response

It’s a 2019 so il check if it was registered in NI, but on that basis once I verify that, I should be good?

Is there documentation I need to ensure I get off the dealer to prove this?

is there anything else I need to research ?

Just to 1000% clear these changes in September won’t benefit me buying a car off a NI dealer no?

The reason why I asked is when I check revenue for costs I do see a VAT calculation which is why I had asked

Post edited by skinny90 on

• Registered Users Posts: 35,867 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If a artic truck and trailer is empty, but spare wheels are on trailer, are they considered goods. They are spare wheels , personal possessions, not goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Has anyone written a definitive post on importing since Brexit? How VAT applies on modern cars v vintage cars? Do you need an agent to do customs docs?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement