Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

MadYaker wrote: »
    I never said it was nothing. You didn't really answer my question

Are millions dead in China? Probably not. We dont need thats for major consequences. Also pandemics come in WAVES. Last a year. They mutate, get worse. Ive got family and money at stake. Do what you want but Ive already made steps to protect whats mine.

Its pointless talking about China now. We dont need that info. Its in Europe now we will soon have first hand data of its lethality, contagiousness etc.

As for what the Chinese have actually done? Well find out later. They dont have great form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its probably 2-3 times more infections than are being reported. The mortality rate on the boat is 0.5% where all infections are accurately reported, and internationally its 1.3%

The mortality on the boat is only starting now,
    First cases were detected Feb 2nd it take 3-6 weeks to case closure.

Did you not hear the WHO spokesman saying current estimates were spot on?
    Tens of thousand tested in provinces who didn't have it?
    There aren't many asymptomatic cases.... the current 80/20 mild/severe is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

bennyl10 wrote: »
    But this is ‘false reporting and fake news’ according to many.

For the vast majority of people this presents as a bad flu that quarantine can deal with.

Yes some people will be get sick, badly. But for the vast majority we’ve seen that this passes fine.

The summer will deal with it also, and then we’re gonna be back to masks and over reaction next winter

Honestly I think what will happen is as infections develop to people close to us and we see that they are fine overall (except for the few unlucky people) we will start to get bored of the news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I love how people post nonsense like “someone” in the HSE told me this and that. Complete irresponsible lies and surprising that it’s allowed go on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bennyl10 wrote: »
    But this is ‘false reporting and fake news’ according to many.
    For the vast majority of people this presents as a bad flu that quarantine can deal with.
    Yes some people will be get sick, badly. But for the vast majority we’ve seen that this passes fine.
    The summer will deal with it also, and then we’re gonna be back to masks and over reaction next winter

Over reaction?
    I cannot take this post seriously. Actually that post is contemptible. You can't even bring yourself to mention that some of that potentially large number of sick people will die?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Rather worrying tweets from Philip Boucher-Hayes:

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1232373408471666690?s=21

School children returned home to Bray from Italy with flu-like illness and HSE is not in position to test them.

The approach to these returning schools is nuts. Either they’re very carefully trying not to stoke panic by keeping us in the dark - kinda like how the Chinese started out - or they’re genuinely incompetent - kinda like how the Iranian started

wylo wrote: »
    Honestly I think what will happen is as infections develop to people close to us and we see that they are fine overall (except for the few unlucky people) we will start to get bored of the news story.

I’d find attending a funeral of my loved one sad rather than boring :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Over reaction?
    I cannot take this post seriously. Actually that post is contemptible. You can't even bring yourself to mention that some of that potentially large number of sick people will die?

400,000 people die from flu each year. Source WHO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Where did you get this? Or did Harris say it? I didnt see the news.

Harris just said it tonight yes.

Another Italy related case, I think almost every new case in europe today and the one in Algeria were all Italian travellers or recently to Italy. Place must be saturated with coronavirus
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232398951325802497

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I love how people post nonsense like “someone” in the HSE told me this and that. Complete irresponsible lies and surprising that it’s allowed go on here.

Doesn't matter! When the HSE has anything to say they say absolute nonsense!

The Waterford students returning from northern Italy are told that they don't have to do anything unless they show symptoms.

UNLESS THEY SHOW SYMPTOMS!?!?

WHAT!?

Everyone, and I mean everyone knows that the disease is infectious for up to two weeks before there are any symptoms.

What the ****. Who the hell is running the HSE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Over reaction?

yep, and those dying will be somebody's parents and close relatives

Yeh its odd , like that someone could be a secretary or a janitor for all we know going off hearsay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

joe_99 wrote: »

oh god again

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    yep, and those dying will be somebody's parents and close relatives

Up to 1000 Irish people die each year from flu. Source HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

A comment that was made in HK was that when trust in the authorities is low, it can hamper attempts to contain and control a virus like this. Same could be said of the general perception of the competence of the HSE here. Maybe the stories we’re getting in this thread are baloney, but they sound plausible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭brick tamland

This exactly. Some level of nonsense going on here.

Now add the ones who will die for covid to that total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Can we please stop this. Its of absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Over reaction?

People die from a cold.
    People die from the flu,
    People die. That’s an unfortunate fact of humanity.

But the fact with this disease is that the vast, vast majority will be fine. They’ll have a bad fever, will need watching, but will be fine.

This isn’t the plague or the Spanish flu and treating it as if it is is,yes, the definition of an over reaction.

• Advertisement

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Now add the ones who will die for covid to that total

Death rate is equivalent to the flu so another 1000 max.

Regarding INFLUENZA, vaccination is available to prevent its worst effects. We await a VACCINE for Covid-19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Dow Jones drops 900 points today, yesterday 1000, Armageddon

And if coronavirus begins to get a foothold and becomes as common as flu then it will be 10-000-20,000 irish people dying from coronavirus, so that is why there is concern

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lmao that was a brilliant scene :D

Death rate is equivalent to the flu so another 1000 max.

Based on what? The most accurate data we have is the outcome of the patients on the cruise liner. So far, 0.5% of those affected have died. Which already puts it at 4-5x times more dangerous than flu, and that is before you take into account that there still dozens of others in a serious condition on the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭bennyl10

And if coronavirus begins to get a foothold and becomes as common as flu then it will be 10-000-20,000 irish people dying from coronavirus, so that is why there is concern

Only no. No it won’t.
    Virus’ mutate over time and usually become less deadly. Because they want to survive as much as we do.

Vaccines also develop over time.

If it comes here, yes some people in the at risk groups may die. The same as they may die from any disease.

Thsi is a worrying disease. Sure. But it isn’t end times stuff by any stretch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Hi guys ,
    Some of you are obviously very well read on this topic. I’m not worried about myself getting it , I am fit and healthy, but one of my children has a condition that can affect his lungs and he is prone to pneumonia ( he has had flu and pneumonia vaccine of course) . We are all careful at hand washing in the family. I was just wondering what is so special about the masks everyone is queuing for? Can I just make my own from fabric to- cover nose and mouth?

How so? Survival rates are over 99.6% for anyone under 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Chadwicks have sold out of dust masks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement