Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Am I reading that right.

15*12*10 =1800 for an Eddi??

And

6*12*10 = 720 per extra panel??

Please tell me no

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Think you are reading it right, though think someone got a up front price of 600 per panel if I remember correctly. I was quoted the 6 per month for extra panels, just didn't think it was worth it. In time think I will add more and swap out diverter.
    Find it strange though that he got quoted for 320 panels, when I got told they use 360 panels. Have never seen my peak go above 2.320 think is best since install.
    6 wrote: »
    Am I reading that right.

15*12*10 =1800 for an Eddi??

And

6*12*10 = 720 per extra panel??

Please tell me no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

deravarra wrote: »
    So I was chatting and emailing the installer that shall not be named, and I am very unsure as to what I should do.

A 7 panel (320kwp per panel) system installed, for about 20 a month for 10 years. 35 if I add an Eddi. Each additional panel is 6 per month.
    Was told that the inverter was from Goodwe, but no mention of its rating nor whether it's a hybrid inverter (for adding battery at a later stage)

I could hold off until a later stage and have the finances in place for exactly what I think I want (10+ panels with Solis Hybrid Inverter, Eddie, Pylontech battery(ies) and possibly wiring setup for an EV charger), or I could avail of the 1800 euro grant that may be going at some stage soon and not be sure whether or not this is the system I should be getting.

Anyone else get that feeling after consulting with the installer that shall not be named?

The excess from a 2.2kWp system will be minimal, so it would be a total waste of money to have a battery and certainly an Eddi on one this size.

But your self use would likely be quite high, which is saving you money immediately.

Batteries and especially Eddi's really make little economic sense. A 2.4kW battery will save about 20c per day first best 300 days per year, so about €60 per year.

So do the maths, and hopefully someone with SaaS will post their monthly stats on the Monthly Stats thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Deagol wrote: »
    I've already made it very clear what I think of the idea of solar as a service so I'll not rake it up again. But..

20x12x10=€2400. For that price I'd be extremely doubtful you'll get a hybrid inverter. €6 a month per panel extra is simply extortionate - I'd say you'll get the hard sell on that though - just a guess.

Nothing to say the grant is going.

35 extra for an Eddi is simply laughable - again, I'm expecting you'll get hard sell on that.

But, you could get the 7 panels installed, pay off of the 2400 in one lump and then change the inverter out (+€1000) and add panels IF you can DIY them.

If you can't and you have to pay someone to fit them the economics of it start to look a lot shakier. It's not just the money for me, you'll run into warranty issues if you fit the original 7, then change out the inverter, then add more. i'd say original installer will not want to hear about any issues.

If nothing else, I'm sure the original installer isn't a charity nor a fool - I'd say he's covering himself somehow around people using him as a cheap installation service.

Ultimately though, the decision is yours!

I was able to get additional panels at a lot less than they initially quoted and paying upfront for them.. Also getting a bigger inverter.

He actively talked me out of an eddi or battery and definitely no hard sell.

raytaxi wrote: »
    Think you are reading it right, though think someone got a up front price of 600 per panel if I remember correctly. I was quoted the 6 per month for extra panels, just didn't think it was worth it. In time think I will add more and swap out diverter.
    Find it strange though that he got quoted for 320 panels, when I got told they use 360 panels. Have never seen my peak go above 2.320 think is best since install.

I was able to knock him down on price for extra panels and am paying upfront for them. No where near 600 which was extortionate

They are using 365w panels now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Alkers

championc wrote: »

So do the maths, and hopefully someone with SaaS will post their monthly stats on the Monthly Stats thread.

There are a good few doing so if you can recognise the usernames from this thread, myself included.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117318927&postcount=638

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Deagol wrote: »
    I've already made it very clear what I think of the idea of solar as a service so I'll not rake it up again. But..

20x12x10=€2400. For that price I'd be extremely doubtful you'll get a hybrid inverter. €6 a month per panel extra is simply extortionate - I'd say you'll get the hard sell on that though - just a guess.

Nothing to say the grant is going.

35 extra for an Eddi is simply laughable - again, I'm expecting you'll get hard sell on that.

But, you could get the 7 panels installed, pay off of the 2400 in one lump and then change the inverter out (+€1000) and add panels IF you can DIY them.

If you can't and you have to pay someone to fit them the economics of it start to look a lot shakier. It's not just the money for me, you'll run into warranty issues if you fit the original 7, then change out the inverter, then add more. i'd say original installer will not want to hear about any issues.

If nothing else, I'm sure the original installer isn't a charity nor a fool - I'd say he's covering himself somehow around people using him as a cheap installation service.

Ultimately though, the decision is yours!

There was no hard sell, in fact it was the opposite, he advised against the battery and eddi when I first engaged with saas.He said diverter did not make economic sense and battery storage will be superceded by a fit.He would however price the items if I wanted.

As regards the seven panel system, I got the impression rightly or wrongly that he wanted to stay within planning guidelines and the regulations as advised by SEAI to ensure I got the grant.A standard inverter is the right product for the non battery system,specifying a hybrid inverter would be wrong.

Every installer and the media are speculating about the lifetime of the grant,even the longtime members here are of the opinion that the grants days are numbered when fit is eventually announced.I would advise everyone considering solar to apply for grant approval now, you have 8 months to use it even if fit is announced in July and grant system is abolished.

Saas will not suit everyone but the base system is hard to beat on price at 2400, (some have posted that they paid 4-5000 for a similar system elsewhere).
    I know your opinion of Saas but it flies in the face of my experiences .I have found Saas to be professional, helpful, and courteous at all times.Quite a few members here have their installations and I have'nt heard any negatives as of yet,Saas must be doing something right.:)

deravarra wrote: »
    So I was chatting and emailing the installer that shall not be named, and I am very unsure as to what I should do.

A 7 panel (320kwp per panel) system installed, for about 20 a month for 10 years. 35 if I add an Eddi. Each additional panel is 6 per month.
    Was told that the inverter was from Goodwe, but no mention of its rating nor whether it's a hybrid inverter (for adding battery at a later stage)

I could hold off until a later stage and have the finances in place for exactly what I think I want (10+ panels with Solis Hybrid Inverter, Eddie, Pylontech battery(ies) and possibly wiring setup for an EV charger), or I could avail of the 1800 euro grant that may be going at some stage soon and not be sure whether or not this is the system I should be getting.

Anyone else get that feeling after consulting with the installer that shall not be named?

Go back to the drawing board, decide what you want and what you can afford, you are right to try and future proof your system,compare prices on similar systems and post figures here to get advice.
    If you want a 2.5 non battery system, then Saas is the most competitive out there that I can see, if you want something different get quotes from a few installers.
    I would do it quick if I were you, if fit is announced in July, the grant system may be phased out, if you get grant approval you have eight months to get install.

kabakuyu wrote: »
    There was no hard sell, in fact it was the opposite, he advised against the battery and eddi when I first engaged with saas.He said diverter did not make economic sense and battery storage will be superceded by a fit.He would however price the items if I wanted.

As regards the seven panel system, I got the impression rightly or wrongly that he wanted to stay within planning guidelines and the regulations as advised by SEAI to ensure I got the grant.A standard inverter is the right product for the non battery system,specifying a hybrid inverter would be wrong.

Every installer and the media are speculating about the lifetime of the grant,even the longtime members here are of the opinion that the grants days are numbered when fit is eventually announced.I would advise everyone considering solar to apply for grant approval now, you have 8 months to use it even if fit is announced in July and grant system is abolished.

Saas will not suit everyone but the base system is hard to beat on price at 2400, (some have posted that they paid 4-5000 for a similar system).
    I know your opinion of Saas but it flies in the face of my experiences .I have found Saas to be professional, helpful, and courteous at all times.Quite a few members here have their installations and I have'nt heard any negatives as of yet,Saas must be doing something right.:)

Agreed. No hard sell at all. I got 2 extra panels and provided the maths In an earlier post. Definitely not costing me 1200 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Breakdown of my recent installation.

15* 380w panels (5.7 kW system)
    5 KW Solis Hybrid inverter.
    AC/DC Cables/Firemans switch etc
    1 Pylon 2.4 kw battery & bracket.
    Smappee Installation
    Inverter Dongle

Net Cost after grant €4200. (Grant = €3000)

Up and running almost 3 weeks, Very happy so far.

Ill take the installer via PM also 6!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

I got a quote like this:

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4KW .JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

4.8 PYLON TEC. BATTERY

3.6 SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER .

WI FI DONGLE

Price after grant 6000e

I have a very good set up with smart controls for heating and combi boiler and no hot water. Wondering if its worth paying for big battery or best to get smaller one using a grant anyway and wait until they reduce in price in the next few years. My main drive for the system is to make a use of the 3k of the grant. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

borus22222 wrote: »
    I got a quote like this:

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4KW .JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.
    4.8 PYLON TEC. BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER .
    WI FI DONGLE

Price after grant 6000e

I have a very good set up with smart controls for heating and combi boiler and no hot water. Wondering if its worth paying for big battery or best to get smaller one using a grant anyway and wait until they reduce in price in the next few years. My main drive for the system is to make a use of the 3k of the grant. Thoughts?

Can you fit any more panels? If so I'd look to add panels and drop one of the PylonTech batteries.

For what you save by dropping the battery, you could fit probably 5 more panels and still get the maximum grant.

Also ask for a 5kw Solis hybrid inverter, the price difference from the 3.6 is buttons and it will future proof for extra panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Agreed. No hard sell at all. I got 2 extra panels and provided the maths In an earlier post. Definitely not costing me 1200 extra.

Hi All.
    Could someone PM me the name of the company that can't be named :)

Hi All.

Do you mean my*****.ie They advertise on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Do you mean my*****.ie They advertise on the radio

Ah ok I know them now :)

Hi All.

You could have easily pm'd me since you wanted the info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

V10 or 6, can I get a PM with that installer who gave the best quote please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Ush1 wrote: »
    V10 or 6, can I get a PM with that installer who gave the best quote please?

Mine feel through, left me hanging for weeks then up'd the price by over €2K :eek: so back looking for quotes again!

v10 wrote: »
    Mine feel through, left me hanging for weeks then up'd the price by over €2K :eek: so back looking for quotes again!

Jesus, really are some p*as takers out there.

Update: Since my original post, I've now had 4 more quotes, the following is the best of them ...

10 x 340w Panels
    4kw Hybrid Inverter
    4kw Battery
    Wifi Dongle for Monitoring etc
    No hot water diverter as I already have hot water covered

€7000 less grant of €2820 = €4180. Happy with that I think ..

Was it this quote that he backtracked on?it seemed very inexpensive when I saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Was it this quote that he backtracked on?it seemed very inexpensive when I saw it.

yeah, thats the one, at €7000 it was a good quote, about €1000 less than the next best quote I had got. But we had done a bit of negoitiating and eventually agreed that price, I paid a €2000 deposit, and then nothing for 2 weeks, until he emailed me (not even the courtesy of a call) and told me the price had to go up by €2000 due to an error. Waiting for deposit back now. :rolleyes:

yeah, thats the one, at €7000 it was a good quote, about €1000 less than the next best quote I had got. But we had done a bit of negoitiating and eventually agreed that price, I paid a €2000 deposit, and then nothing for 2 weeks, until he emailed me (not even the courtesy of a call) and told me the price had to go up by €2000 due to an error. Waiting for deposit back now. :rolleyes:

Poor form from him,just make sure you get your money back and go to someone else.You might have dodged a bullet with that guy.

Just got a quote for:

10 x Qcells 335w split-cell all blk mono PERC
    Solis Mini String Inverter x1
    c/w Home Energy monitoring App

Myenergi harvi and hub

After grant of 1800, including BER, 5k.

What do yous think?

I don't need hot water as I've combi, already have a Zappi charger for car, just need it connected up.

There more you see all quotes, the more it seems that a good guide is €1k per kWp, after the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

i would agree for solar PV only, no batteries or diverters 1k per Kwp post grant seems to be ball park installed price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Im starting to get the feeling prices are on the way back up. Brexit and the Pandemic is starting to bite.
    Look at the price rises in the building trade. The pv market is not immune. Government inaction on the FIT and the grant structure is not going to help. For some companies the gravy train is leaving the station and now is their time to fill the pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sfj22

I'm looking for a fairly basic system, just got this quote -

3.6kp of modules kitted to a 4kW Inverter

8 x Bisol Premium 450w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a Tile roof

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switch Gear

Sofar Inverter 4kWp

Costing
    €6,700(inclusive of VAT)
    -€1,800 (SEAI Grant)
    €4,900 Final cost after grant incentive

Going back 3 messages

There more you see all quotes, the more it seems that a good guide is €1k per kWp, after the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Going back 3 messages

Even that's on the max side tbh.

Nobody should be paying more than €1k per kWp all in after grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

Breakdown of my recent installation.

15* 380w panels (5.7 kW system)
    5 KW Solis Hybrid inverter.
    AC/DC Cables/Firemans switch etc
    1 Pylon 2.4 kw battery & bracket.
    Smappee Installation
    Inverter Dongle

Net Cost after grant €4200. (Grant = €3000)

Up and running almost 3 weeks, Very happy so far.

Could you pm installer details please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement