Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Bit expensive. You could get a system with a battery for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

6kw inverter. 6kw of panels, hot water diverter, 4.8kw pylon batteries, €7k after grant thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

6kw inverter. 6kw of panels, hot water diverter, 4.8kw pylon batteries, €7k after grant thoughts?

That's not to bad I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭championc

tommy249 wrote: »
    Got a new quote from a 3rd supplier that I am happier with

4.3kw system
    12 longi 360 panels
    4G inverter
    Eddi controller
    On-line monitoring

€5,400 after grant

Based on the "rule of thumb" of €1k per 1kWp, I'd say NAH

Based on the "rule of thumb" of €1k per 1kWp, I'd say that's pretty good / excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Has anyone had an installation recently from the solar as a service firm? Currently waiting on a date.
    3 of us now getting them with a 4th person to sign up in my circle of friends next week.
    Wish friends would stop jumping on the wagon delaying the rest of us :)

• Advertisement

2 year anniversary of my system install and going strong.
    Over 11 MWh generated. Don't as how much I exported but all I can say is. Your welcome ESB Networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    2 year anniversary of my system install and going strong.
    Over 11 MWh generated. Don't as how much I exported but all I can say is. Your welcome ESB Networks.

And did your electricity bill drop by much after installing it?
    That's the cookie in the jar everyone is looking at :)

deravarra wrote: »
    And did your electricity bill drop by much after installing it?
    That's the cookie in the jar everyone is looking at :)

The most expensive was €114 for the winter months and the lowest so far was €48. The unavoidable shxt like tax, pso and standing charges comes in at about €45.
    Above are bimonthly bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

The most expensive was €114 for the winter months and the lowest so far was €48. The unavoidable shxt like tax, pso and standing charges comes in at about €45.
    Above are bimonthly bills.

Thats excellent. Would the solar water diverter give you anything during the winter months?

And I would say the savings go even further with no need for oil or gas to heat the water during the summer months - or at least very little need.

Thats excellent. Would the solar water diverter give you anything during the winter months?

And I would say the savings go even further with no need for oil or gas to heat the water during the summer months - or at least very little need.

Last winter was the first time I charged the battery (7kw) to full on night rate and discharged during day when needed. on good winter days I did get some water heating but the oil was used to top up the hot water tank.

I know a lot on here poo poo charging the battery on night rate but my thinking is, I have it I might as well use it.

The best way to use solar IMO is that everyone in the house needs to buy into it and plan ahead. That's easy for us as there is only two of us in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Last winter was the first time I charged the battery (7kw) to full on night rate and discharged during day when needed. on good winter days I did get some water heating but the oil was used to top up the hot water tank.

I know a lot on here poo poo charging the battery on night rate but my thinking is, I have it I might as well use it.

The best way to use solar IMO is that everyone in the house needs to buy into it and plan ahead. That's easy for us as there is only two of us in the house.

When the weather got frosty and clear was there any point in trying to charge the battery during those days?

I also won't mind one bit charging at night if needs be.

When the weather got frosty and clear was there any point in trying to charge the battery during those days?

I also won't mind one bit charging at night if needs be.

in December the worst was .8kw but the best was 11.3kw and the total was 154.3kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thecat777

I've seen one company show sample quotes on their webpage, and they are pretty good.
    If anyone wants info, PM me

Please could you pm details, many thanks

phili_g wrote: »
    Hi,

Have been getting quotes for a while now and best I have as follows:

10 x Suntech 390W panels
    5 kW Badger PV invertor
    Solar iBoost immersion diverter
    Installation, brackets & mounts, safety switches & wiring etc

€4,300 after grant

Is this about right for above system?

Please could you pm details of the installer who gave you this quote

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That's pretty good. Lowest I could get for a similar size system was 7.2k after grant. Went with the next lowest quote to give the business to a local company who had a lot of positive reviews (and personal recommendations). Panels went on the roof today (6.24kW), very tidy job. Should be all done and operating by 11 tomorrow :)

Got my date for mid July.
    I look forward to spending many hours looking at my app and seeing how much I'm generating :)

If I had a budget of around 5k to buy gear from midsummer (forget about labour ) what would you recommend .
    South facing garage roof & we have an EV with a zappi charger.
    Would like to keep water tank hot (only 100L but planning upgrade).

Fairly vague I know but i'm only starting my research.....would like to leave room for a second array in future .

Thanks

Does anybody have experience with mysolar.ie, what type of panels are they using, are you happy with their service.

Has anyone had an installation recently from the solar as a service firm? Currently waiting on a date.
    3 of us now getting them with a 4th person to sign up in my circle of friends next week.
    Wish friends would stop jumping on the wagon delaying the rest of us :)

Please can you let me know what type of panels are they using and what kW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

thecat777 wrote: »

They did mine mid May, used JA solar 365w.Used Schletter mounting system.

• Advertisement

365w. Im getting 9 and a 3.5kw inverter.

365w. Im getting 9 and a 3.5kw inverter.

Is the price advertised on their website for 9 panels or are you getting extra? I left a message with them yesterday but nobody has called me back yet.

Is the price advertised on their website for 9 panels or are you getting extra? I left a message with them yesterday but nobody has called me back yet.

I'm buying 2 extra.
    They're busy but I find them responsive.
    Their mobiles are on the website. Leave a message or send a text

Does anybody have experience with xxxxxx.ie, what type of panels are they using, are you happy with their service.

No naming of companies, site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭championc

For those newbies getting solar PV recently, consider sharing your month stats so that

a. You can verify that your system is performing as it should
    b. Allow those interested in installing Solar PV to see what they can REALLY expect

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058050685/35/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Does anybody have experience with mysolar.ie, what type of panels are they using, are you happy with their service.
    Hi welcome to the renewables forum,

Recommendations by PM thanks
    No naming of companies, site rules.
    Use the report function, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

Hi all. Stupid question perhaps.. I have a 6kw pv system with a 2.4kw battery and a hot water diverter. We are giving away alot of excess power on the good days. My wife is looking to buy a hot tub. 🥺 I'm wondering if I can use the same principal for the hot water diverter to use up the excess power heating the hot tub water. Id like to automate it rather than having to think about it.

Cheers
    John

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If there are two outputs from your diverter and the hot tub has a resistive element then can't see why not, just a matter of cabling.
    Those more electrically minded will come along with further advice I'm sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

slave1 wrote: »
    If there are two outputs from your diverter and the hot tub has a resistive element then can't see why not, just a matter of cabling.
    Those more electrically minded will come along with further advice I'm sure...

Cheers. The diverter has 'tank 1' and 'tank 2'. I only have one cylinder fed from it so presume that means I can use the hot tub as the second tank. Appreciate ur input and as u say hopefully someone else can confirm before I agree to buy this tub!!

Cheers
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Deagol

Cheers. The diverter has 'tank 1' and 'tank 2'. I only have one cylinder fed from it so presume that means I can use the hot tub as the second tank. Appreciate ur input and as u say hopefully someone else can confirm before I agree to buy this tub!!

Cheers
    John

You could do this I think but you'd have to decide which to heat first. I'd suggest to buy 2x PT1000 RTD's to measure the temperature of each 'cylinder' so that you could manually change temperatures as required. You could of course just decide to always have the hot water tank go to max temp before switching to 'tank 2' which could be your tub.

As for actually heating the tub, I don't have one but I think they use (or can) use a standard 3kw immersion type heater. Maybe someone else will advise better on how best to do that.

Can you post a link to the hot tub you're thinking of and we might be able to figure out what kind of heater it uses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement