Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I rented a room for many years, 40 minutes by bus from city centre and saved until i had deposit to buy my own place. It's quite an affordable option

good man

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bubblypop wrote: »
    How long do Irish people work before they are eligible for social housing?

Women : 9 months carrying a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Not to mention the welfare for the banking sector. 6 billion a year in interest alone. Shocking.

Yeah, its shocking. And sure we get nothing from the banking sector at all.
    (Well, other than banking that enables us to have a functioning economy obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not to mention the welfare for the banking sector. 6 billion a year in interest alone. Shocking.

And to think we spend close to 20 billion on social welfare here alone with low unemployment rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Unfortunately there is a huge group of people in this country (mostly Sinn Fein voters btw) that think they should get handouts from the govt from birth till death without giving anything back in return. Don’t think they should get a job or contribute in any way . Pop out a few kids they can’t afford and make those that pay tax shell out for them.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately there is a huge group of people in this country (mostly Sinn Fein voters btw) that think they should get handouts from the govt from birth till death without giving anything back in return. Don’t think they should get a job or contribute in any way . Pop out a few kids they can’t afford and make those that pay tax shell out for them.

What I don't understand about that group is why they vote sf when sf have actually never given them anything. The apartment they live in, the money in their Bank accounts and all the gravy on top, provided by a ff or fg government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Blaming SF for the housing and welfare system set up by Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael.

Charlie McCreavy: Rates of child benefit increased by €10

Michael Noonan: this should be tripled!

No party has the balls to cap welfare/benefits to the first child or prioritise single persons on waiting lists. A FF councillor here was a slum landlord renting apartments to people with moderate mental disabilities until HAP came in where the council inspect the property. He now rents out these apartments to the DOJ/FA to house Syrian refugees.

Great idea voting for the two parties that caused this mess in the first place. Btw I’m not defending SF advocating for these types and I don’t agree with their stance on immigration, but they weren’t the one’s who created this system to buy vote from the lower working class. It was mostly FF. let’s not forget the Catholic Church and the 8th amendment share some of the blame too

Yurt! wrote: »
    Housing is not a commodity and should be viewed as such. You've been trained to think that way about it, but it's actually a very recent phenomenon. Many people display an extremely ridgid dogma when it comes to housing and you're one of them

No, that's completely incorrect. Housing has been a commodity since man sought shelter in caves. Housing has always been sought after, fought over and traded. Even when it was just a land Chase for a prime location in which to build on, it was a competitive area.

What's recent is people expecting a nice house close to where they grew up without costing them or working for it. The simple reality is someone has to pay and current homeowners that have and continue to pay hard earned money for their homes don't feel inclined to work harder to pay for someone else's as well.
    Yurt! wrote: »
    There are vested interests that of course do not wish to see this happening. There are others who do not wish to see it happen as they are dogmatic and/or they don't like to think they spunked money on a house when others stand to benefit from an affordable purchase scheme and they missed out.

I assume you see the double standard in that? You want those people to suffer higher payments for a modest home that may be quite the distance from work and remain in negative equity so that others can have a bigger house, for less and closer to work.

Commodity:
    a substance or product that can be traded, bought, or sold

Nope, doesnt sound like housing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It was great to have a body that wasn't afraid to cut spending for a while, no amount of rabble rousing or sob stories could stop them, I want that back in power. With the exception of the USC, Austerity was the best thing to happen to Ireland in decades.

The imf made suggestions, but couldn’t / didn’t insist on how to sort the the situation. Next time they are back , I prey the politicians don’t have a choice. I’m sure it’s obvious to them , what needs addressing and the spineless politicians don’t have the balls for it

• Advertisement

What I don't understand about that group is why they vote sf when sf have actually never given them anything. The apartment they live in, the money in their Bank accounts and all the gravy on top, provided by a ff or fg government.

Becuase some people want more!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gatling wrote: »
    And to think we spend close to 20 billion on social welfare here alone with low unemployment rates

Think a great portion of that is disability/ housing,Turas nua,open to correction but was on a scheme several years ago( maintenance) loved it but no extension ,even volunteered to do it full-time no payment but insurance in the football club wouldn't let me,I was a foreman painter for for several years in a similar scheme in Derry so we'll qualified,now I'm over 60 and stuck with agency work( just got a call now for Monday,but it' could be 2 days,2 months,you never know,I raised my kid from 2,got no dole or children's allowance for him,so we struggled big time whilst he was a nipper,last few years I'm picking up work for about 8/ 9 months of the year ( my own contacts)I know no employer will take an old boy like me on full time,got a beautiful 2 bed house from Cluid 11 yrs ago and v grateful,so ppl pls don't tar everyone in social housing as scroungers,yes I avail of dole if I'm not working,but honestly my two pence worth ref schemes/turas nua/CSE schemes job bridge etc is that they are only massaging the true unemployment figures and are a waste of money( p.s. first worked part time at 11/12 )

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah, its shocking. And sure we get nothing from the banking sector at all.
    (Well, other than banking that enables us to have a functioning economy obviously)

6billion is the interest on the bailout that we'll never be able to re-pay. Remember FF said that it would be 3Bn and the cheapest bailout in the world....

The banking sector that the economy runs on is totally separate to the 6 billion a year interest..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'd say a great portion goes to the lazy who claim the dole on a permanent basis

I'd say a great portion goes to the lazy who claim the dole on a permanent basis

e20 billion? Not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/02f594-annual-sws-statistical-information-report/

State pensions = 7.7 bn

Illness, Disability, caring = 4.2 bn

Working-age income supports = 3.4bn

Children = 2.6bn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"Dole" = JSA = 1.84bn of the 20bn

Geuze wrote: »

Yes think the OP was sitting out the maths class

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Almost 2 billion is still a lot considering. Could build a new metrolink every 18 months.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Almost 2 billion is still a lot considering. Could build a new metrolink every 18 months.

2 billion is A LOT, and it's basically thrown out of the window every year
    How can a country with no unemployment issue spend so much money on people who refuse to work is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

How can a country with no unemployment issue spend so much money on people who refuse to work is beyond me

We spend 3 times that alone on interest on the bank gambling debt. INSANITY

State pensions = 7.7 bn

Illness, Disability, caring = 4.2 bn

Working-age income supports = 3.4bn

Children = 2.6bn

Is that state pension for the contributory or non contributory? It's ridiculous that a country with mass employment for the past 30 years can have people that haven't even managed 10 years of taxable employment. (The late 70s and 80s excluded, that was a **** show for employment)

I would also love to see a real breakdown of disability payments. For every decent skin that would happily work but can't for a real genuine injury / illness there's at least 1 junkie claiming to have 'insert impossible to prove or disprove phantom mental condition here' . As said before, why are all junkies on disability benefit? 200 quid a week to spend on drugs and topped up by crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yeah on feeding and clothing and putting a roof over the heads of the poor, sick and elderly. This needs to stop! :)

Refusing to work is allowed, but you don't get any payment off welfare if you do.

You are circling your epiphany here...I'll help.

High employment.
    Yet all our woes are down to 'them that won't work'.
    Refusing to work will not get you any welfare.
    So it must be people pretending to be unemployed/not looking. But if we've high employment, can there be that many refusing to work? And don't they need sign on and explain themselves and get sent on schemes anyway?
    so....is this small minority of welfare ninjas costing us that much?

We spend 3 times that alone on interest on the bank gambling debt. INSANITY

Do you see a single person here defending the banks and the bail out?

That's like a murder pointing at Hitler and screaming "but sure look what he did".

It's pure deflection. Just because the 2billion isnt the largest waste of tax money doesn't excuse it or mean it should be just accepted.

You can try and deny it but most of us probable know someone that claiming while doing nixers on the side. Trying to pretend it's a huge minority isn't fooling anyone. Any more than your attempt to convince us that the vast majority in social housing are working but poor.

I can go to work tomorrow, walk into an estate and show you brand new cars, some older but expensive cars and **** all people getting the bus to work for 9am. I know it, you know and the other users here now it.

What I don't understand is why genuine people that do actually work and live in social housing, tolerates and defends these people when they are laughing at you just as much as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

technically both wrong.

Between JSA and all the other working age supports we spend 9.8 billion, those are only payments to not disabled/ not carers etc....
    doesnt even account for the rampant abuse of disability and carers either , so its probably a lot more.

we spend 4.6 billion servicing the national debt, so wasters cost almost twice what the debt does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Do you see a single person here defending the banks and the bail out?

That's like a murder pointing at Hitler and screaming "but sure look what he did".

It's pure deflection. Just because the 2billion isnt the largest waste of tax money doesn't excuse it or mean it should be just accepted.

You can try and deny it but most of us probable know someone that claiming while doing nixers on the side. Trying to pretend it's a huge minority isn't fooling anyone. Any more than your attempt to convince us that the vast majority in social housing are working but poor.

I can go to work tomorrow, walk into an estate and show you brand new cars, some older but expensive cars and **** all people getting the bus to work for 9am. I know it, you know and the other users here now it.

What I don't understand is why genuine people that do actually work and live in social housing, tolerates and defends these people when they are laughing at you just as much as me.

I don't know it at all but keep dreaming that if it keeps you warm at night.

I live in a social housing/affordable estate and the newest car is a 2016 civic. They must be hiding the Ferrari under the trampolines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

n97 mini wrote: »

there is plenty of money for metro lines don't worry.
    2000000000 is probably cheaper then alternative options. and even then a lot of that 2000000000 is probably going on the cost to run the system.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

2000000000 is probably cheaper then alternative options. and even then a lot of that 2000000000 is probably going on the cost to run the system.

it's money thrown out of the window and it comes from our pockets, I mean us who go to work every day

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

bubblypop wrote: »
    Because she lives here in Ireland, I presume she will pay tax the same as any worker.
    Her children will go to third level & get an education & then go on to be tax payers in this country.
    Did she ever say that her & her family wanted to live off the state?

Her and her family are living off the state. They’ve been handed a brand new free gaff.

If foreigners cannot afford to live here, then they must not be allowed to live here. They must be repatriated.

Not hooked up with a free gaff when we have a major housing crisis. That’s insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If there was plenty of money why we'd have several lines by now.

Advertisement