Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Why shouldnt I be able to live where I want (within reason)

Because you can't afford it, that's simple
    That's the sense of entitlement that please talk about

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm fed up at the sense of entitlement in this swamp, finally, after many years saving I'm 8 days out from purchasing the home I've dreamed of.

This has been done through relentless saving while paying rent ,all my other overheads and laughable amounts of tax.

The untermensch over here really don't know how good they have it, paying a pittance in "rent" and numbers of them not even paying anything, going into arrears and still being able to stay in what is essentially a free gaf.

The recent joke that has pissed me right off is that after renovations to me new purchase the cost of my house will be close to the 700k mark (not including loan interest) then after finalising everything I find out there's a luxury ballymun 1km down the road with €3000 p/m apartments entirely let out by the council for probably about €30 a week, gonna have to start saving again for a cctv system to try and protect my wheelie bins from being sacrificed to the weekend field fires.

given the desperation of councils now, having done nothing for years, provididing rip off solutions. I hope margaret cash doesnt end up next door to you, the council will buy the place at market value and sell it back to her seven hundred euro a few years later, after she has got her job in dundrum town centre, working ten hours a week!

Get three phase electric in now if you can, you can put up jurassic park like fences then if the worst comes to the worst! Her "angles" might be able to pass through them though, by some miracle, so not sure how effective it would be!

I hope you managed to avoid the credit union gang on your most recent trip to vegas peasanthater! because youll be living close to a lot of them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PeasantHater

Yurt! wrote: »
    The peasants aren't responsible for your 700k mortgage. Knock yourself out trying to put it on them, but it ain't them.

Where did I say they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Where did I say they were?

You're never finished banging on about your mortgage when the povs are brought up. You'd have to forgive people for thinking the two are inextricably linked in your brain.

given the desperation of councils now, having done nothing for years, provididing rip off solutions. I hope margaret cash doesnt end up next door to you, the council will buy the place at market value and sell it back to her seven hundred euro a few years later, after she has got her job in dundrum town centre, working ten hours a week!

Get three phase electric in now if you can, you can put up jurassic park like fences then if the worst comes to the worst! Her "angles" might be able to pass through them though, by some miracle, so not sure how effective it would be!

I hope you managed to avoid the credit union gang on your most recent trip to vegas peasanthater! because youll be living close to a lot of them now!

If I did that the council would be out fairly sharpish, meanwhile her angles would be free to have their sulky races up and down road, ugh.

Nah weren't to many over there, lucky for me the credit union loans had dried up shortly after the McKnacker fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Because you can't afford it, that's simple
    That's the sense of entitlement that please talk about

he can barely afford to live anywhere, that is the issue.
    because you can't afford it is not a good enough reason any longer as it is being used to dismiss a serious housing issue.

what is this credit union gang you speak of?
    do you have an issue with people who use the services of the credit union now?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

You're never finished banging on about your mortgage when the povs are brought up. You'd have to forgive people for thinking the two are inextricably linked in your brain.

It's the system I do not like, along with the aforementioned cradle to grave types. What justifies €3000 a month luxury apartments for a pittance, while other people who want to live in the same area have to break their backs to do so?

It's the system I do not like, along with the aforementioned cradle to grave types. What justifies €3000 a month luxury apartments for a pittance, while other people who want to live in the same area have to break their backs to do so?

Enjoy your 700k house you're moving into; or don't, and spend your time consumed by hatred.

Hell of a way to live a life. If you feel like you overpaid for your property, the 'pondlife' isn't where I'd be directing my anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Another example is the new apartments opposite Dundrum TC. Purchased by a German find and leased back to the county council for 25 years.

Social housing people have started moving in and they're paying €300 odd a week- it's like winning the lotto. Many in the private buying market could never get a mortgage for that low living in South Dublin opposite the shopping centre and beside a Luas line.

As a matter of interest if you get a house or apartment off a list is there any ongoing means testing does anyone know or have you just got it for life even of you win the lotto (again) next year.

Enjoy your 700k house you're moving into; or don't, and spend your time consumed by hatred.

Hell of a way to live a life. If you feel like you overpaid for your property, the 'pondlife' isn't where I'd be directing my anger.

My job consumes the majority of my time, as you can see I don't post here often, unlike yourself, I'm too busy with other aspects of my life to be "consumed" with hate.

I don't feel like I overpaid for my property, I got it at market rate.

• Advertisement

Then what's the problem? Why are you linking your oh so expensive mortgage to the 'pondlife'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Another example is the new apartments opposite Dundrum TC. Purchased by a German find and leased back to the county council for 25 years.

Social housing people have started moving in and they're paying €300 odd a week- it's like winning the lotto. Many in the private buying market could never get a mortgage for that low living in South Dublin opposite the shopping centre and beside a Luas line.

As a matter of interest if you get a house or apartment off a list is there any ongoing means testing does anyone know or have you just got it for life even of you win the lotto (again) next year.

I am accessed every year. It goes on our combined wages and we pay a percentage. That's Dún Laoghaire Rathdown may bé different elsewhere.

Then what's the problem? Why are you linking your oh so expensive mortgage to the 'pondlife'?

Where the F did I link my mortgage to them?? I was pretty clear in my point asking why should people who refuse to work get put up in luxury apartments with a 3k pm rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

you didnt ever question the insanity of this ? Why shouldnt I be able to live where I want (within reason) How much time do you have? I can send you endless links of why vested interests, just want to keep development and supply to a minimum and live in their own bubbles. You think that is acceptable or tolerable any more? it isnt...

If you have a growing population and a fixed amount of land, then it is plainly obvious why people can't live where they grew up.

One of the key causes of the Irish Famine was the subdivision of smallholdings for descendants to levels that became unsustainable, leading to crowded conditions in the countryside. The subsequent overreaction and Irish addiction to owning sufficient land helped feed both immigration and the irrational obsession with owning property.

Where the F did I link my mortgage to them?? I was pretty clear in my point asking why should people who refuse to work get put up in luxury apartments with a 3k pm rent?

"The recent joke that has pissed me right off is that after renovations to me new purchase the cost of my house will be close to the 700k mark (not including loan interest) then after finalising everything I find out there's a luxury ballymun 1km down the road with €3000 p/m apartments entirely let out by the council for probably about €30 a week"

- You. Less than an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

How about giving houses to people with jobs and who pay taxes near to where they work. Let the welfare mother's jog off to the arse end of nowhere where there's no jobs.

🙈🙉🙊

Can't believe people are falling for it.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

GreeBo wrote: »
    I lived at home (in my late twenties, early thirties) until I could afford to buy a run down house house outside of the area I grew up in.
    15 odd years later I am now living in the area I grew up in.

The people with "good jobs" are complaining that they cant afford to buy or rent in the areas they *want* to.
    I couldnt either, so I saved and bought where I could.
    So, 2003-2005 you bought a house after living at home with your parents until you were in your 30's.
    Rent wasn't anywhere near as insane back then, not that you needed worry, and house prices were still a good few years away from their 2007 peak.
    Assuming you live near a city where there were/are plenty of job options too.
    Most of the people that you are saying made bad life choices don't have any of those luxuries.
    They have to either commit to a massive commute, or pay the extortionate rental fees.
    Or they could try and meet in the middle, where they pay a high, but not too high rent, and then still have a fairly big commute. On top of that they are trying to save for a house in an overpriced market even if they chose to purchase outside of where they want to live.

I don't see how you can possibly blame that on anyone making bad life choices.

Ridiculous.

"The recent joke that has pissed me right off is that after renovations to me new purchase the cost of my house will be close to the 700k mark (not including loan interest) then after finalising everything I find out there's a luxury ballymun 1km down the road with €3000 p/m apartments entirely let out by the council for probably about €30 a week"

- You. Less than an hour ago

That's not linking my mortgage to anything, as mentioned, I expressed my dislike at the 3k p/m "free gafs" down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I am accessed every year. It goes on our combined wages and we pay a percentage. That's Dún Laoghaire Rathdown may bé different elsewhere.

Still that's only 16 % of the main earners income for instance if you earned 30k you still would be only paying €400pm Vs families paying 6 times that a month at current rental prices

• Advertisement

That's not linking my mortgage to anything, as mentioned, I expressed my dislike at the 3k p/m "free gafs" down the road.

Sure.

Sure.

:rolleyes:

a quarter owing rent also does not translate to all.
    allowing the councils to take owed rent at source would be way cheaper then giving their housing stock to a third party

It's a sizable number who seem to be getting free forever homes ,
    If councils can't and won't collect rents then it should be handed to a 3rd party if needs be to recover rents or begin evictions once notice of arrears are issued ,and those who are not paying removed from all future assistance in housing or rent ,this having a real insetive to keep rents up to date.
    No point saying take it from source of payment many will be straight to welfare and that legally cannot be reduced past a certain limits meaning rents still don't get paid and little or no consequences for those choosing not to pay

Gatling wrote: »
    Still that's only 16 % of the main earners income for instance if you earned 30k you still would be only paying €400pm Vs families paying 6 times that a month at current rental prices

Terrible isn't it

Terrible isn't it

Yeah should definitely be increased to a minimum of twice that across the board at least especially those who can afford to pay more

Yeah should definitely be increased to a minimum of twice that across the board at least especially those who can afford to pay more

Doesn't seem to be in any political parties manifesto

Unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Doesn't seem to be in any political parties manifesto

Unlucky

And the question is why...
    Why don't they want to fix waste at the top and bottom..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's all that is available because we haven't been building houses.
    My job consumes the majority of my time, as you can see I don't post here often, unlike yourself, I'm too busy with other aspects of my life to be "consumed" with hate.

getting it at market rate doesn't mean you didn't over pay for it, as many found out to their cost.
    a house can be worth 1 amount 1 minute and another the next.
    How about giving houses to people with jobs and who pay taxes near to where they work. Let the welfare mother's jog off to the arse end of nowhere where there's no jobs.

ultimately that is not going to be viable for a number of reasons.
    first of all, there are only going to ever be a certain amount who will ever be able to live close to their job, no matter what. there will always be people who live further out.
    secondly, for the second group to be able to jog off to the back arse of nowhere with no jobs, there will still need to be huge investment in infrastructure and whatever support services they need, i am going to go out on a whim here and suggest you would not be willing to pay for it, and you won't be alone.
    the days of chucking people into an area and shur it will be grand are i suspect gone, because it doesn't look to have worked well last time we tried it.
    It's a sizable number who seem to be getting free forever homes ,
    If councils can't and won't collect rents then it should be handed to a 3rd party if needs be to recover rents or begin evictions once notice of arrears are issued ,and those who are not paying removed from all future assistance in housing or rent ,this having a real insetive to keep rents up to date.
    No point saying take it from source of payment many will be straight to welfare and that legally cannot be reduced past a certain limits meaning rents still don't get paid and little or no consequences for those choosing not to pay

handing it to a third party unless it's another government organisation is going to do nothing apart from take a large chunk of money away from what the council are owed.
    removing people from all future assistence is going to do nothing apart from possibly increase costs somewhere else, and it is unlikely to incentivize anything.
    taking it at source is absolutely possible, if there is a legal limit on how much wellfare cannot be reduced below then the council simply don't go near or below the limit but they will get their money in time. the consequences for not paying is having less money in one's pocket.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you have a growing population and a fixed amount of land, then it is plainly obvious why people can't live where they grew up.

One of the key causes of the Irish Famine was the subdivision of smallholdings for descendants to levels that became unsustainable, leading to crowded conditions in the countryside. The subsequent overreaction and Irish addiction to owning sufficient land helped feed both immigration and the irrational obsession with owning property.

No blanch. Maybe not exactly where they grew up , that depends on their means. But they can be housed a few km away , doesn’t need to be dirty to sixty to sixty km out. There is still farmland inside the m50 for god sake and the densities going up are still a farce !!!

• Advertisement

bunderoon wrote: »
    And the question is why...
    Why don't they want to fix waste at the top and bottom..

Building council houses and renting them out at an affordable price isn't waste. Its why no political party is suggesting farming it out to the market. I'm guessing if FG had a free run at it it might be a goer but that will never happen.

Problem is with greedy landlords and vulture funds. The country realises this hence the move to the left at the election.

Advertisement