Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Good use of resources marking the 200's - I don't think my stones would have been amiss here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just wondering why you didn't just plug this session into the Garmin instead of chasing a plastic bag in the in wind? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I imagine 400s first thing in the morning are going to be more difficult than a 'normal' hour also. I say imagine as I've never tried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good use of resources marking the 200's - I don't think my stones would have been amiss here :p

Ha, I did think of your method (which I've used myself before, with twigs, I think). But this time I was marking distance, not the number of reps.
    Just wondering why you didn't just plug this session into the Garmin instead of chasing a plastic bag in the in wind? :D

Well I know everyone thinks their watch is the only one that's actually accurate :) but watches just are not reliable for distances like 200-400. If you programme 200, you'll probably end up running 210, and you end up chasing a moving target. Besides, I prefer to know and be able to see the exact start and finish point - even if it's slightly longer or shorter, the point is that it's consistent.

Oh, and the plastic bag was firmly attached to the hedge rather than blowing in the wind, American Beauty-style.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I imagine 400s first thing in the morning are going to be more difficult than a 'normal' hour also. I say imagine as I've never tried :)

Ha - I'm not sure if it makes any difference. I've favoured different times of the day over the years. But early morning has been fairly common in the past couple of years, and there's no better feeling than having a session done before breakfast!

Week 2 cont.

Wed 27 Jan

Rest day.

Thu 28 Jan

10.3k easy at 5:49 (65% HRR)

A final stab at the January challenge. Same route as before. Feeling a bit lifeless, and knowing there would be a bit of headwind on the way back, I didn’t go out quite as far as last time, wanting to keep it nice and easy on the way back. This brilliant strategy resulted in a 59:52 time. The organiser seemed a little suspicious, but this run was 100% legit!

Seafront very busy with runners tonight, quite a lot of them on the cycle path, which is a deathwish if you ask me.

Earlier, a start on some core work, which I have resolved to introduce into the routine. Used this session from Luke Humphrey. A gentle introduction - except for those side planks with leg raises, where I could barely manage two on each side. :0

Fri 29 Jan

Tempo/speed: 3 x 1 mile (1-2 mins rec), 6x200 (200 rec)

Out around the same time as last night. Wanted to avoid any congestion, so headed to the Port, thinking it wouldn’t be the worst place to do mile reps up and down the long, straight and relatively people-free Tolka Quay. The lighting isn’t great though, and as I got unlucky with traffic (must have been a boat loading and unloading) there was a bit of hopping up and down off the pavement, which is not in great shape in places. I’d almost face-planted on my warmup the other morning, tripping on a kerb, so was extra careful tonight.

Splits (target 7:12):

7:14
    7:13
    7:07

44 46 46 46 48 48

The session called for 1 min jog recovery between the mile reps. The second one was into the wind and I was quite spent by end of it (HRR hitting an ungainly 94% at one point). I took at least an extra minute on the recovery here - then soon into Rep 3 I had to wait at a roundabout to let a phalanx of container trucks go past. No surprise then that the third mile was the fastest. One minute recovery then before starting the 200s on the way back towards East Wall Road. For the 200s, I concentrated on form, hoping for the best with the times (target 45), which were a little slow as it turned out. But not too much so considering the conditions (rain in the mix by now also). ’Twill do. Enjoyed the dinner after that - a hearty beef stew!

This week: 45k (28 m)
    This year: 306 (190)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I've been doing that core routine too. Struggled massively with those raised legs planks for the first few times but slowly getting the hang of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Fair play, that looks like a decent core routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

They do get easier:)

Week 2 cont.

Sat 30 Jan

Hanson core routine. Managed five right leg raises this time, but only two on the left. Not sure if this is because I did the R side first, or because of an imbalance. Probably the latter, I’m thinking.

9.5k recovery @ 58% HRR

Out to the wind and rain-swept Dublin Port, where I hardly passed a soul. Some of the roadworks have piqued my interest and I see there is a proposal for a new ‘cultural quarter’ at Odlums Mills, complete with a raised ‘High Line’ style walkway all the way to the East Link. That will be very exciting if it happens. Between that and the planned Greenway, the Port and Docklands could become very runner friendly indeed.

On the way back, I paused at a makeshift shrine to the youngster killed in East Wall last week. Flowers, written messages, jerseys, football boots. Very moving.

Sun 31 Jan

Long run 16.8k @ 67% HRR

Kept an eye on the watch to keep this in zone 2 all the way. Chose a route I’ve been meaning to run for quite some time, circling the inner city via the North and South Circular Roads, with a sliver of the Phoenix Park in between. An interesting trek that takes in several sporting meccas, major hospitals, a load of repurposed barracks, temporary film studios, college campuses, and so on. Quite rundown in places but very historic. And of course the M50 of its day. :) Very enjoyable, despite the wind and the rain.

I noticed a comment in Swashbuckler’s log a couple of weeks ago, where he mentioned feeling the detox kicking in. I don’t usually do the dry January thing but I’ve been off the sauce for a few weeks now myself and it definitely makes a difference. Just not sure what that difference is yet.

This week: 71k (44m),
    This month/year: 332 (206)

I think the experts advice is to start on your weaker side for core/strength exercises.

• Advertisement

I think the experts advice is to start on your weaker side for core/strength exercises.

Really? I'd always do both. Your weaker side has to work harder to keep up and will develop faster to close the gap.

Perhaps AGYR means do the weak side first, then the strong side?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Perhaps AGYR means do the weak side first, then the strong side?

Yes this is exactly what I meant :)

Yes this is exactly what I meant :)

Or do shorter number of reps on the weaker side TWICE with the stronger side sandwiched between.. so in total you work more on the weaker side. (she says to also remind herself to do this more often). Side plank leg lifts are the devil anyway. Hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Or do shorter number of reps on the weaker side TWICE with the stronger side sandwiched between.. so in total you work more on the weaker side. (she says to also remind herself to do this more often). Side plank leg lifts are the devil anyway. Hate them.
    Now this makes so much sense. I do a lot of single leg work because my right side is substantially weaker and have always followed the weaker side first rule but this actually makes even more sense - thanks V.

Sorry for the hijack D. Must look up that Hanson core routine. I do a very basic routine (i think it's actually a post natal routine that I started 5 years late :o) but it includes those side plank leg raises that you speak of, they feel very strange the first few times doing them alright.

ariana` wrote: »
    Now this makes so much sense. I do a lot of single leg work because my right side is substantially weaker and have always followed the weaker side first rule but this actually makes even more sense - thanks V.

Sorry for the hijack D. Must look up that Hanson core routine. I do a very basic routine (i think it's actually a post natal routine that I started 5 years late :o) but it includes those side plank leg raises that you speak of, they feel very strange the first few times doing them alright.

https://youtu.be/vSYar-i1bYI

Vary it up. Do a few side plank raises but, I much prefer these from a pure running standpoint. Glute and core activation

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWycNC1hQ0MFm4o8g2ky4kyejH2x5L3THPFQ&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Quick pointer on the side plank leg raising thingy....

Don't get caught up in trying to get as many raises in at the cost of losing form.

Hips have to be stacked properly for it to engage the right muscles, I recall thinking I was doing great at them until I went back to the physio......

Said physio had me do a few reps, stopped me after 3, brought my top hip forward by an inch or two and I was back to square one :o

"The body will always take the path of least resistance....often avoiding using the very muscles we're trying to strengthen"

Vary it up. Do a few side plank raises but, I much prefer these from a pure running standpoint. Glute and core activation

I can confirm these are both excellent and tortorerous at the same time, but worth doing right. I 'just' do the leg raises and as DD mentioned, form is more important than no of reps or height you raise your leg.

Well, the side planks are just one part of that Hanson routine.

That's a good one alright. Remember it well from my (semi) regular pilates days.

• Advertisement

Appreciate all the above input, folks. Need all the help I can get! And commenting is never hijacking, E. Enjoy that routine if you do it, seems surprisingly popular, even among people who've never sniffed the Hanson method!

JD5k Week 3/12

Springtime! :) Final week of the mini-Phase II sub-block. Couple of interesting sessions to look forward to, including the ‘classic’ 10x400. Some interesting comments on how to run speed reps on Sacksian’s log the other day - a reminder to stay in control and finish strong. Always good to be reminded of this. Tracks well with a recent Science of Sport podcast on motivation too.

Mon 1 Feb

12k recovery.

A jog up the Swords Road to the M50 flyover, checking out the elevation. ;) Not enough!

This week: 12 (7 m)
    This year: 344 (214)

Week 3 cont.

Tue 2 Feb

Feb Challenge/ Hill reps x14

Last night’s reccie suggested that hill reps might be a better way of amassing a bit of elevation than continuous uphill running, if you can find it, within my 5k. (See the Feb Challenge thread if you don’t know what I’m talking about). I’d thought the Finglas Road from the Tolka to the Village might be a candidate, but skyblue’s mention of Glasnevin Hill (always called Washerwoman’s Hill when I was a nipper) piqued my interest. A quick scout on Garmin’s route creator suggested a 5% grade - 15m gain over 300m - between the Tolka House Pub and the Met Office. Too steep for heroics, but potentially good for 200m+ if I could manage 14 or 15 repeats in the allotted 42 mins. The hill even continued beyond the Met Office, so a bit extra available towards the end if needed. I set off at what I hoped was a sustainable pace. Noticed after a couple of vigorous enough (for the slope) cycles that it was taking almost exactly three minutes per up and down, so I just tried to keep it at that, knowing that 42 mins of hills is a long session and not to be underestimated.

The uphill bits:

1:21
    1:23
    1:25
    1:22
    1:28
    1:22
    1:26
    3:12

Sure enough, I completed the final descent around 39 mins so would have the pleasure of a 3 min uphill to finish. So I continued well past the Met Office almost as far as St. Brigid’s. Imagine my annoyance later to find this final rep measured the same in elevation terms as the shorter version. :rolleyes:

A decent workout. HRR was peaking at around 89% in the last few reps, suggesting there was a bit more there. Probably could have squeezed in another one if I’d gone a bit harder, and with less traffic and pedestrians to negotiate.

But this was very worthwhile - I don’t do enough of this kind of session, so a win either way. So I won’t be doing those 400s I was going on about yesterday after all. :) Mind you, with 55 mins to play with, skyblue will trounce me on this one if he chooses the same hill. :)

Total for the day: 14.3k (9m).

This week: 26k (16 m)
    This year: 358 (223)

God that hill... I used to live in Glasnevin and the time of the “big snow” about 10 years ago and all the buses stopped, trying to walk up that hill was one of the toughest things I’d ever done!!! I was sliding back down :p I was very unfit at the time so presume it didn’t help..
    Well done on the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great session D, good man.

+1 great hill rep effort. Nice session for leg strength!

I won't be attacking the hills like you did D. My 54 minutes will be easy pace....anything else would be cheating.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I won't be attacking the hills like you did D. My 54 minutes will be easy pace....anything else would be cheating.

Not sure I attacked it quite hard enough!

Week 3 cont.

Wed 3 Feb

10k recovery @ 6:04

This was a very tired plod around the port. I was getting a couple of jabs from the right hamstring, which has been intermittently troublesome since late 2019, to the extent that I still strap it up for sessions. Just kind of crampy stabs, never going beyond that. But not welcome on very slow runs like this one. I’d like to have it looked at - a good massage would probably sort it out - but don’t really feel like taking the risk right now.

Thu 4 Feb

More recovery - 8.65k @ 60% HRR

Postponed today’s session in favour of a gentle jog along the Clontarf seafront. Ferris drew alongside and we had a brief chat before I waved him on as I didn’t fancy upping the pace. I didn’t feel good on this at all. No particular ailment, just a bit weary and at a low running ebb!

Fri 5 Feb

8.1k easy @ 64% HRR

More easy Z2 stuff, home across the city from Crumlin after some family business. Another couple of crampy jabs from the hamstring.

Sat 6 Feb

3 x 3 mins, 4 x 2 mins (off 2 mins rec)

Debated taking the day off but eventually opted to head out and see how I felt about the postponed Thurs session. After warming up down to the Port, I decided to give it a go, but not at the specified ‘Hard’ pace. Just tried to gauge an appropriate effort for the conditions (and my condition) and came in around 10k pace for the longer intervals and I pace (~5k) for the shorter ones. More importantly, didn’t fall apart in the process and actually felt good on the cool down jog back home.

It’s dawning on me that this training block is being defined by these windswept runs along the long Port thoroughfares. Which gives it some character, I suppose. The autumn marathon block was defined by the seafront tempos and the St. Anne’s speeds. A previous 5k block featured a lot of sessions on grass in Fairview Park. You could say I’m always looking for a change. :)

Sun 7 Feb

The schedule had a 5 mile M pace run today. I’m topping it at two sessions a week and a LR if scheduled, but I wouldn't have done that run the day after a session anyway. A few easy miles, with a bit of steady stuff in the middle, which was mostly downhill anyway. Shortest Sunday run in a long time!

Not a great week.

This week/month: 71k (44m)
    This year: 403 (251)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

7 days running ain't bad!

Is it motivation that's low or just a bit weary?

Don't underestimate the hangover from the hills. Think I said that on Strava.

• Advertisement

You did say that, and a fair point, although I don't think my hill effort was up to scratch based on what has followed!

Motivation isn't too bad, just a bit of physical weariness. Not helped by terrible sleeping this week, even worse than normal. I was expecting sleep to improve with 'Dry Jan/Feb' but hasn't worked out that way yet, four weeks in.. :(

Advertisement