Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

After a gentle start to the New Year, I’ll aim to run some 800 reps on Tues and add a second session on Tempo Thursday. Any suggestions?

Mon 11 Jan

One hour easy @ 5:44

Another go at shotgun’s January challenge. A better attempt. Only 24 seconds off. I reckon it’s a bit like golf - when playing an approach shot, the object is to get it close. Anything better is just pure luck. ;)

This week: 11k (6 m)
    This year: 111 (69)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Murph_D wrote: »
    After a gentle start to the New Year, I’ll aim to run some 800 reps on Tues and add a second session on Tempo Thursday. Any suggestions?

Mon 11 Jan

One hour easy @ 5:44

Another go at shotgun’s January challenge. A better attempt. Only 24 seconds off. I reckon it’s a bit like golf - when playing an approach shot, the object is to get it close. Anything better is just pure luck. ;)

This week: 11k (6 m)
    This year: 111 (69)

Great effort on the challenge.

Training for any particular distance?I'd have some thoughts... But only thoughts... May not be of any use or interest.

Great effort on the challenge.

Training for any particular distance?I'd have some thoughts... But only thoughts... May not be of any use or interest.

Just ticking over for now, P. Might try a 5k block in the near future though. Fire away!

Just ticking over for now, P. Might try a 5k block in the near future though. Fire away!

Previously L had me doing split tempos and progressing them. You're probably on a decent base already so you may not need to split them.

1. 25min at MP/5min at HMP continuous
    2. 5x(5min at MP/90s at HMP) continuous
    3. 10min at MP/5min at HMP/10min at MP/5min at HMP continuous.
    4. 12min at MP/6min at HMP/12min at MP/6min at HMP continuous

You can keep progressing them by increasing the HMP sections or the duration of the total workout (keep total below 40mins I think?) . These are taken out of context though so may not suit you. Plus like I said you have a decent base from marathon blocks so splitting them might be overkill for you. They're a low risk base building type of tempo. I used to feel energised (not flogged) after them and they built me up to larger volume threshold work.

Cheers - they look interesting. I probably don't do enough of this kind of split pace stuff. Did a few like this earlier in the year and enjoyed them, so these look like something I would enjoy doing.

The base should be good but tbh I haven't been feeling particularly strong since the marathon TT (could be just boredom) so I'll play it by ear re splitting. When you say split, are you talking about jog recoveries between those listed elements, or what?

• Advertisement

Cheers - they look interesting. I probably don't do enough of this kind of split pace stuff. Did a few like this earlier in the year and enjoyed them, so these look like something I would enjoy doing.

The base should be good but tbh I haven't been feeling particularly strong since the marathon TT (could be just boredom) so I'll play it by ear re splitting. When you say split, are you talking about jog recoveries between those listed elements, or what?

No they're continuous runs. The split refers to the split paces. I think I just call them that.

For me these fit into the mantra of not focusing on specific paces all the time. My weeks would have a spread of LT, HMP, MP, CV/10K, Strides so I move between the pace ranges throughout my weeks rather than a heavy focus on one particular element.

The MP should be reasonably manageable so these don't feel like too much of a stretch.
    Personally I live them.

Wouldnt be unusual to feel in a bit of a rut post marathon. You had a long long long year of marathon focussed stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thought you were in heavy training to race me :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Yeah boredom is definitely a factor at this stage. Hopefully by late Spring there's something for us to aim toward. Will you go again at the marathon if there's events in Sept/Oct?

Tue 12 Jan

Speed: 6 x 3 mins (3 mins jog recovery)

After last week’s 90-sec reps, I stepped it up to 3 mins, hoping this focus on time rather than distance would continue to make it seem easier, or at least different. I long ago gave up on putting pace goals into the watch workout, as the constant warnings - Speed up! Slow down! (annoyingly with identical warning tones, meaning you can’t tell them apart) - drive me crazy. So I tried to feel the right pace for these, thinking 5k pace would be enough, maybe a bit more.

I was never hard, but must still be softening up because I didn’t get anywhere near 5k pace on any of the 3 min segments, which later analysis revealed were more in the HM to 10k range. :o In my defence, I ran the first few on the crowded seafront having to dodge a few times onto the grass, which is very sloppy at the moment after the ice thawed out. Bit of a wind out too, which didn’t help on the way home, although those ones were a little faster. Was getting there near the end. I really do prefer running this kind of session on the track, or with company - it’s so much easier, but not an option at the moment.

I won’t embarrass myself by revealing the rep paces. Total for the evening: 12.9k

Wed 13 Jan

Recovery run in Dublin port, nice and slow. Not many people run in there - Strava put me in the Top 10 for a segment along Tolka Quay Road, despite the leisurely 10-min pace. There’s a lot of work going on in the port, with new Brexit-motivated customs infrastructure highly visible at the ferryports. Seem to be some changes to the road layout afoot also. It’s not a great place to run, but I like to check it out every now and then. At the very end of Tolka Quay Road there’s an embankment you can climb and get a fine view of the Bull Wall and Howth, but they’ve managed to make it more inaccessible somehow. On the plus side, there will eventually be a nice new greenway along here, which will make it much more amenable.

Thu 14 Jan

Tempo: 12 mins MP / 6 mins HMP / 12 mins MP / 6 mins HMP2

Jaysis. That woke me up.

Tried this one from the suggestions Swashbuckler provided following my little appeal the other day. It looks harmless enough, but the session really felt like a good jolt after a few months of doing very little of this kind of work. The first 12 mins @ MP was a bit sluggish. Got up to the pace, but towards the end, I’m dreading having to step up to HM effort. Surprisingly, this 6 mins went pretty well. At the end of it you’re hoping MP will feel like recovery pace, and indeed it does, for about a minute, before you’re working again - into the wind this time - with the prospect of the fast finish to come. It wasn’t pretty on that last 6 mins and I was a good bit off the pace, although the effort felt pretty hard into the breeze.

Unfortunately I didn’t get a good read from the HR strap. Never licked the contacts at the start, and I don’t sweat much to compensate, so I wasn’t able to verify that the effort was as honest as it felt.

An excellent workout though. Enjoyed the challenge. Thanks, P! :)

This week: 45k (28 m)
    This year: 145 (90)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Recovery run in Dublin port, nice and slow. Not many people run in there - Strava put me in the Top 10 for a segment along Tolka Quay Road, despite the leisurely 10-min pace. There’s a lot of work going on in the port, with new Brexit-motivated customs infrastructure highly visible at the ferryports. Seem to be some changes to the road layout afoot also. It’s not a great place to run, but I like to check it out every now and then. At the very end of Tolka Quay Road there’s an embankment you can climb and get a fine view of the Bull Wall and Howth, but they’ve managed to make it more inaccessible somehow. On the plus side, there will eventually be a nice new greenway along here, which will make it much more amenable.

Yeah, it ain't pretty at the moment with temporary fencing everywhere & access to that amazing view blocked off. I tend to head that direction when it's sunny out as you know it's never going to be crowded on a nice day like everywhere else. I'd heard about the development plans but hadn't seen them, looks impressive :)

• Advertisement

You really dived straight in there. Haha. Straight to the fourth one (the hardest!).

Nice work. When it comes to those sessions I'll usually try to purely go on feel. If that means easing off the pace then so be it. To be honest as you get used to running those, the MP easy feeling extends for longer...

Edit : it actually does look like you did scale back the pace so ignore my comment!

You really dived straight in there. Haha. Straight to the fourth one (the hardest!).

Nice work. When it comes to those sessions I'll usually try to purely go on feel. If that means easing off the pace then so be it. To be honest as you get used to running those, the MP easy feeling extends for longer...

Edit : it actually does look like you did scale back the pace so ignore my comment!

That's gas - I just glanced at the list and programmed one into the watch. Must have been looking at it upside down! I would have felt better during the run if I'd realised it was the hardest, but than again the Hanson stuff makes you fairly resilient. :)

Scaling back wasn't really intentional - I could see I was losing pace in the second half into the wind, especially with the final 6 mins, but wasn't too concerned as I knew I was working probably too hard anyway.

Good workouts though. I'll try one of the easier ones next week!

Regression rather than progression. A new novel approach to training. Haha

If you look closely the volume of HMP increases as you move through them. By the fourth workout the total volume for the entire workout is 36mins with 12 at HMP. It's the toughest of all four for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I put the hrm contacts under the tap and wince when the cold wet band hits my chest. HR perfect everytime though (with the band)

Regression rather than progression. A new novel approach to training. Haha

If you look closely the volume of HMP increases as you move through them. By the fourth workout the total volume for the entire workout is 36mins with 12 at HMP. It's the toughest of all four for sure!

Have to dive in there to show the Lemon I mean business. :p

Fri 15 Jan

10.8k recovery @ 6:02 (73% HRR)

Gentle jog around the northside, lengthening one of my regular loops a little. Of course that took it to over an hour, which is not a recovery run at all, you might well have noticed.

Sat 16 Jan

50 mins easy @ 5:41

I’d like to have upped the pace on this one a little, but wasn’t feeling great after being woken up in the middle of the night by a house alarm nearby. Dodgy alarms are the bane of the urban light sleeper's life. Once I’m wakened, there’s no going back til it switches off, which is often a very long time. So I kept the run easy - mileage is up this week anyway so no need for heroics.

Sun 17 Jan

Long run 20.2k @ 5:27 (78% HRR)

A bit more rested today, so I tackled this long run at the faster end of easy pace. Royal Canal to my 5k limit, then across to Tolka Valley, Finglas and Ballymun. A busy early afternoon out there, plenty of WW’s ‘famblies’ about the place. Had to fight for my line on the path a couple of times, gesticulating at phonegazers and one or two slack-jawed danderers. I don't mind stepping off the path for kids and older people, but I draw the line at young folk, unless they're travelling en masse with bikes and those recently popular ugly little pugs in tow, which you can can (and I did) come across. Took in a few parkrun locations, passing through Tolka Valley, Poppintree and Albert College. Along the way, I came across a golfer with a prosthetic leg hitting balls on some waste ground on Sillogue Road. The guy had a lovely swing. I tend to enjoy longer runs more than short ones and this was no exception.

This week: 85k (53m),
    This month/year: 185 (115)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Fri 8 Jan

Sat 9 Jan

Sun 10 Jan

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

While you're back there, maybe you could go back to Jan 2020 and stop the crazy before it starts!!!!

Oops!

With a view to building towards a 5k TT, starting a 12-week Jack Daniels programme this week. This is made up of Phases III and IV of his 5-10k schedule. Maybe it’s a bit much to start that far into it, but will see how it goes. I won’t necessarily be a slave to the plan - if I don’t like the look of a session, I might substitute for something else. 5k plans never go particularly well for me so I’m not necessarily looking forward to any of this. :)

Mon 18 Jan

Rest.

Tue 19 Jan

Speed: 4 x 1200 (3 mins jog recovery)

With a couple of speed sessions under the belt already over the past fortnight, I thought I’d be better prepared for this one. Ferris joined me on the seafront after separate warmups. From halfway through the first one of these, I was struggling, and each rep got progressively worse. My aspirational target was 4:50-5:00 per 1200, which is around 21 min 5k pace. I blew up early, and struggled on as I had company. If I was alone I’d probably have just jogged home after the second. Still, thanks for the company, C!

Splits (target ~5:00)

5:00 5:12 5:23 5:33

The only slightly redeeming factor is that the last two were into the wind so probably not totally as bad as they look, in relation to the target. Still pretty poor though. Bit off more than I could chew. Daniels tells you to base paces off recent race performance. Marathon TT VDOT is 46-47 so 5:00 should have been achievable. Hmm. HR was pretty high - hit 93-94% of HRR in reps 3 and 4, so it's not like I was jogging along.

I’ll play it by ear for now.

This week: 12k (7 m)
    This year: 197 (122)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I've a couple of 5k workouts done (12x400 and 3x 3,2,1) and generally hit 91% HRR.

I'd expect to hit maybe 92-93% HRR in 5k reps if they were 1200m!

94% HRR is working HARD!

Interesting you are on a 5k plan. I've literally never done a 5k plan so its relatively new to me.

I've a couple of 5k workouts done (12x400 and 3x 3,2,1) and generally hit 91% HRR.

I'd expect to hit maybe 92-93% HRR in 5k reps if they were 1200m!

94% HRR is working HARD!

Interesting you are on a 5k plan. I've literally never done a 5k plan so its relatively new to me.

It's hard alright - too hard for the pace it was being registered at, even into the wind. Something not quite right with me, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Embrace the pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Murph_D wrote:
    With a view to building towards a 5k TT, starting a 12-week Jack Daniels programme this week. This is made up of Phases III and IV of his 5-10k schedule. Maybe it’s a bit much to start that far into it, but will see how it goes. I won’t necessarily be a slave to the plan - if I don’t like the look of a session, I might substitute for something else. 5k plans never go particularly well for me so I’m not necessarily looking forward to any of this.

I had looked at the phases III and IV and very quickly backtracked to II :) Fair play though, first session on a plan is always the toughest in my not so very broad experience!

It's not you Murph. It's part of the issue with back of the book plans.

4x1200m at 5k is a bloody tough workout. I'll put it to you this way, if I was to start a 5k plan tomorrow I'm not sure I'd see that type of session from the bossman coming through in my inbox.

I'd struggle with that session if I had to run it tomorrow and that's off a year of solid base building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It's not you Murph. It's part of the issue with back of the book plans.

4x1200m at 5k is a bloody tough workout. I'll put it to you this way, if I was to start a 5k plan tomorrow I'm not sure I'd see that type of session from the bossman coming through in my inbox.

I'd struggle with that session if I had to run it tomorrow and that's off a year of solid base building.

+1 to this. I think its a monster. 1200's off 60% recovery :eek: I'd definitely be looking at possibly 400's, 600's and 800's before probably hitting an upper limit of 1k repeats.

Definitely agree with S. Again it's the problem with book plans. There are many ways to prime for 5k without running mad volume. You can shorten recoveries and keep volume relatively low and reduce injury risk. Easy to say in a Boards post. More difficult to plan it all out!

Appreciate the input, and yes of course to the 'book plan' caveat. But I've no plans for a personal coach at this time.

Yes, day 1 of the programme, but I think I have the base, despite a lack of recent quality. The biggest problem with today's session, as S suggests, is probably the lack of recovery between reps. The 4800m volume would be fairly run-of-the-mill for a Tuesday club session for instance, or for any other book plan, Hanson included. That said, when doing those Hanson speed sessions last summer, I insisted on doing them at 5-10k pace. But that was with a marathon in mind, and taking the kindest interpretation of the guidelines.

So yes, as your man the Race Series MC is always saying, over and over, it's not the distance that will kill ya, it's the pace!

I'll stick with it for a bit and see what happens - with variations when it feels right, as suggested above.

Thanks for the comments, they are all valuable.

Nice buzz around the logs these days. Long may it last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Just to echo what others have said D, I had a set of 1,200’s 3/4 weeks out from Amsterdam in 2019. I was in the best shape of my life but had to pull the plug on the session. It’s a damn tough one, recovery is key I think to successfully negotiate it. Well done for sticking with it.

Advertisement