Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fe1Student20

jus_me wrote: »
    Early next week

Were you told this over the phone? Just not seeing anything on the LS website nor did I receive any email confirmation, unless I'm missing something.

I'm presuming that's how vague they were and they didn't give you anything more than "early next week", which will likely mean Monday eve the week after, the night before Tort.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

bluerthanu wrote: »
    Currently studying equity and my understanding is that you apply Campus Oil but the evidential burden is much higher. So (afaik), applying the threshold test you would need to prove that there is a substantial risk of danger, which must occur before the trial of action. Cases after Szabo, Gurraghy v. Bord na gCon and JRM Sports v. RTE, have applied the Campus Oil test also.

From what I can see QTI’s are generally problem questions (sometimes mixed with mandatory interlocutory injunctions) so would need to apply Campus Oil to the facts but you’re primarily focused on whether you can prove that there is fear of substantial risk of danger (Boswell was moral risk of certainty, but Szabo indicated the standard wasn’t that evidentially high) which will occur before the trial of action (and this must be either anticipated or feared, or occurred and the plaintiff fears its reoccurrence). The evidence of the danger will be vital, as Goeghegan J emphasised in Szabo.

That’s kinda what I have, open to corrections.

Okay perfect, that makes far more sense. So, because the evidential burden is much higher, that is why Geoghegan J stated that it is appropriate for the court to consider the background, expertise and experience of expert witnesses who have been called to prove the risk. (usually in the problem questions there is always some dodgy report which the applicant is attempting to rely on). In the judgement as well, Geoghegan J stated that even if he were to apply Campus Oil, he would have reached the same verdict but just found it inappropriate in the circumstances of the case so that's where my confusion stemmed from, he seemed to establish his own set of principles while also saying that it is all g to continue to use Campus Oil. Thanks for clearing that up!

However, do mandatory interlocutory injunctions not apply the Boyhan and Lignham principles as opposed to Campus Oil in relation to establishing a strong case of likelihood of success at trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

FE1_2020_ wrote: »
    I wrestled with the same thoughts when I was doing my notes for that question. I came across the Murphy v Irish Water 2016 case where O'Regan J in the High Court stated that the test to be applied in application for a quia timet injunction was addressed by Geoghegan J in Szabo.

Thus, I am going with the Szabo approach as it is the main case when Quia Timet injunctions are examined and affirming this approach by referencing O'Regan J comments in Murphy that the test to be applied in QT was addressed in Szabo.

Thanks for citing that case! I'll give it a look now, I would have assumed that a 2019 manual would have had a 2016 case haha

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

dobby896 wrote: »
    Okay perfect, that makes far more sense. So, because the evidential burden is much higher, that is why Geoghegan J stated that it is appropriate for the court to consider the background, expertise and experience of expert witnesses who have been called to prove the risk. (usually in the problem questions there is always some dodgy report which the applicant is attempting to rely on). In the judgement as well, Geoghegan J stated that even if he were to apply Campus Oil, he would have reached the same verdict but just found it inappropriate in the circumstances of the case so that's where my confusion stemmed from, he seemed to establish his own set of principles while also saying that it is all g to continue to use Campus Oil. Thanks for clearing that up!

However, do mandatory interlocutory injunctions not apply the Boyhan and Lignham principles as opposed to Campus Oil in relation to establishing a strong case of likelihood of success at trial?

As seems to always be the case, there’s not clear authority on what test is to be applied in mandatory interlocutory injunctions. She mentions in her reports (as do the manuals I think) that the courts have adopted three different approaches: (1) the egalitarian/Campus Oil approach (Campus Oil itself was a mandatory interlocutory injunction); (2) the discriminatory/strong case approach (Maha Lingham - SC decision fwiw); or (3) the risk of injustice approach (Film Rovers in the U.K., but notably Clarke CJ appears to prefer this approach from his judgments in AIB v. Diamond and Charleton v. Scriven - 2019 SC case). Right now, it’s probably a mix of (2) and (3) I would think but nevertheless a Court is likely to consider the balance of convenience with any higher threshold. The courts appear to be emphasising since Merck Sharpe that for injunctions in general it’s about doing the least injustice to parties and that it’s not a hard and fast set of rules. So I think some part of Campus Oil is naturally going to feature in an injunction action (if only to guide a judges inquiry).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lelila

awsah wrote: »
    yes we can use the bathroom and we have to notify them, I'm not sure how exactly...put a "back in 5 mins" sign in front of the camera?

In the practice exam I think I saw a button you can press for a bathroom break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Lelila wrote: »

Really? what did the icon look like

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fe.nofun

Anyone know the story with legislative sources? Are we allowed to use physical copies in this exam format or can we use an online form? I have emailed them 3 times and called twice but no response.
    Also waiting on my script still... a month after applying for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

Lelila wrote: »

Oh I never saw that, and we can't click back in after we submit it
    Where was that icon?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Has anyone gotten an answer on whether there will be an actual person watching us on the day?
    I'm hoping there is, because if there's an issue with the room we're in/ with something we're doing I'd rather find out during the exam than be told afterwards when there's nothing I can do about it

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Really? what did the icon look like

Not sure what the icon looked like, but I definitely saw 'register a bathroom break' or similar wording. I think it was near the clock. Sorry not to be more exact but I clicked on so many things I can't rember exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Marylaw96

Anyone know what the story is with exam numbers etc ? Or if there will be a live invigilator watching us? Presumed it was going to be like medical exams where students had to show the area they were in to make sure no notes were around but that doesn’t seem to be the case here ? Or was that just for the mock - don’t see how they can police cheating with the way the camera has been set up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maewest19

Hi, has anyone got an up to date company exam grid? Willing to swap!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

fe.nofun wrote: »
    Anyone know the story with legislative sources? Are we allowed to use physical copies in this exam format or can we use an online form? I have emailed them 3 times and called twice but no response.
    Also waiting on my script still... a month after applying for it...

It will be physical copies. During the mock run if you leave the page, a timer starts and if your not back before that runs out your exam is over so don't see how that is compatible with using a digital copy when the mock is supposed to be a near 1:1 trail run of the day.

Plus, there's no way they could make people use legislation that isn't tabbed or highlighted, it would be callous considering how time consuming it would be to find the information you need. Some of us who are much slower at typing than writing are already disadvantaged enough with the exam still only being 3 hours and no ability to highlight the questions. Never mind the fact they haven't mentioned it will be digital, knowing people are or have already shelled out money for the physical copies that are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Would anyone be kind enough to send me sample answers for Property Law? I'm missing a lot of answers I'm looking for from my batch of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Just finished the mock and it seems straight foward, I couldn’t see any place to click for a toilet break except at the start they say go before the exam. Also the inbuilt camera can only see your face while typing, how can they even know it’s the legislation that your looking at since they can’t see that much through the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Samuma

I don't suppose anyone has an up to date criminal grid? My sense is that we kinda need to know everything on the syllabus as questions are so mixed?

Thanks in advance. I can't wait for these to be over. I haven't tried out the mock yet cause it might send me into a complete spin and i'm not mentally prepared yet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Hey i was wondering if anyone had any sample company answers? I have some property ones to swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

channing90 wrote: »
    Just finished the mock and it seems straight foward, I couldn’t see any place to click for a toilet break except at the start they say go before the exam. Also the inbuilt camera can only see your face while typing, how can they even know it’s the legislation that your looking at since they can’t see that much through the camera.

They could have the screen that they show us of our face zoomed in a lot to make us think that. It so isn't worth the risk to chance anything though!

I was trying to use the sticky note and found that it kept blocking either the problem question or the answer input box. (I couldn't drag it outside of that area). I went on live chat about it 3 times and the people were based in Arizona, thought I was studying in New York, and said the sticky note thing must be provided by our exam provider (or something along those lines) - either way, they reloaded my exam and each time it didn't rectify it.

So now we have a 'sticky note' that isn't fit for purpose as it covers our question or our work! Unbelievable system!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

They could have the screen that they show us of our face zoomed in a lot to make us think that. It so isn't worth the risk to chance anything though!

I was trying to use the sticky note and found that it kept blocking either the problem question or the answer input box. (I couldn't drag it outside of that area). I went on live chat about it 3 times and the people were based in Arizona, thought I was studying in New York, and said the sticky note thing must be provided by our exam provider (or something along those lines) - either way, they reloaded my exam and each time it didn't rectify it.

So now we have a 'sticky note' that isn't fit for purpose as it covers our question or our work! Unbelievable system!!

There was an option under the sticky note to minimise it. It was annoying me too trying to move it around the screen but the minimise option worked well and just meant that I could pull it up when I needed it! 👍

Same for me, but if you use the other 'note' option it lets you move it to the righthand side so it's not blocking the question or answer box

• Advertisement

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    Same for me, but if you use the other 'note' option it lets you move it to the righthand side so it's not blocking the question or answer box

The sticky notes stay on the page of the question you put them on (you can add or remove them using the toolbar on the right, or you can drag them to another position). Whereas the note pad stays at the side of the screen & is still visible when you move from one question to another.

channing90 wrote: »

I thought the same about the camera. My laptop is small so I'm close up to the camera when I'm typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Were you told this over the phone? Just not seeing anything on the LS website nor did I receive any email confirmation, unless I'm missing something.

I'm presuming that's how vague they were and they didn't give you anything more than "early next week", which will likely mean Monday eve the week after, the night before Tort.

I phoned the law society yesterday and Carmel said early next week and that we’d receive an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fe1Student20

jus_me wrote: »
    I phoned the law society yesterday and Carmel said early next week and that we’d receive an email.

Oh that actually sounds promising. Thanks very much for the update!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

Contract Law

Does anyone have any condensed contract law notes they'd be willing to share? I done one of the prep courses and have been studying for a while but I'm starting to panic and feel like I haven't retained any information. I would really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bkm2020

I'm gone all paranoid about the mock now. I found the system actually fine.. but it is ok to "jump" from one question and come back to it? I seen something about clock on a timer and exiting the page? I would like to be able to log on to the exam again to just double check for myself...

Had a lot of technical difficulty at the start with the system diagnostics. Don't want that on the day but you can live chat for assistance.. another query for the LS to see if this eats into exam time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

bkm2020 wrote: »
    I'm gone all paranoid about the mock now. I found the system actually fine.. but it is ok to "jump" from one question and come back to it? I seen something about clock on a timer and exiting the page? I would like to be able to log on to the exam again to just double check for myself...

Had a lot of technical difficulty at the start with the system diagnostics. Don't want that on the day but you can live chat for assistance.. another query for the LS to see if this eats into exam time!

And hopefully it's not someone in Arizona we're talking to on live chat that thinks we're in New York (which happened me today)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bkm2020

And hopefully it's not someone in Arizona we're talking to on live chat that thinks we're in New York (which happened me today)

Serious gaps in the system by the sounds of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Has anyone been getting responses to their emails lately?
    I've emailed a few different email addresses in the LS in the last few weeks with questions about the exams, and all have been ignored. I genuinely cannot believe how many unanswered questions I still have this close to the start of the exams.

This drip feeding of information is driving me up the wall, any time they try and give us a tiny bit of information I'm just left with a thousand more questions which all go unanswered, I'm so frustrated with them at this point

• Advertisement

Hazel774 wrote: »
    Has anyone been getting responses to their emails lately?
    I've emailed a few different email addresses in the LS in the last few weeks with questions about the exams, and all have been ignored. I genuinely cannot believe how many unanswered questions I still have this close to the start of the exams.

This drip feeding of information is driving me up the wall, any time they try and give us a tiny bit of information I'm just left with a thousand more questions which all go unanswered, I'm so frustrated with them at this point

Same, absolute radio silence from them..
    It's so frustrating when we have genuine queries about exams that start in 12 days! They wouldn't have so many emails to respond to if they'd just send us one email with all the exam details in it :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement