Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

hi all, is criminal easy to get a grasp of? Ive not done it in college. still prepping contract, equity and property..thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pc_law

Pending results on the 28th, I was just wondering how likely are you to pass if your application in the problem questions was a bit unstructured/messy? I’m fairly confident with regards to the law but I feel like my applications in one or two of the problem questions was unclear. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

hi all, is criminal easy to get a grasp of? Ive not done it in college. still prepping contract, equity and property..thanks a lot

Yes, criminal is one of the 'easier' topics to grasp, its short enough and it's quite interesting therefore easy to remember.
    There does tend to be mixing of topics in the questions, so your best bet would be to try and study everything but not requiring too much detail (because topics are mixed you actually don't need long notes on any topics).
    I managed to pass with quite a short summary of every topic; the key cases, the elements of the offence and the provisions of the Act stating the offence.

The examiner is quite a generous marker imo. And there are some key topics that will likely make an appearance on every paper e.g. sexual offences, murder/manslaughter

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Hazel774 wrote: »
    Yes, criminal is one of the 'easier' topics to grasp, its short enough and it's quite interesting therefore easy to remember.
    There does tend to be mixing of topics in the questions, so your best bet would be to try and study everything but not requiring too much detail (because topics are mixed you actually don't need long notes on any topics).
    I managed to pass with quite a short summary of every topic; the key cases, the elements of the offence and the provisions of the Act stating the offence.

The examiner is quite a generous marker imo. And there are some key topics that will likely make an appearance on every paper e.g. sexual offences, murder/manslaughter

Thank you so much!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

IgoPAP wrote: »
    An extra subject to cover in a month is just too close to the line for me unfortunately!

It's 6 weeks now isnt it though?

I definitely won't be taking on a new subject anyway either, not that much of a masochist lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Hi everyone hope the study is going well. I am just wondering if any kind person has a company grid? Thank you
    Also tips are much welcomed as I am cramming for the extension and hoping for a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 KCSLAW

Is anyone else having issues when clicking on the link to apply for the exams? It says the form is not available to me even though I applied to two last week with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

I dont mean to be a Debbie Downer but was was talking to my GP re this Dublin lockdown and they think its going to be more like 6+ weeks just with the figures. Im going to start studying for an extra topic now I think because who even knows if it will be early november.

On another note has anyone talked to them about moving the application closing date to the 28th rather than the 25th?

LS3 wrote: »
    I dont mean to be a Debbie Downer but was was talking to my GP re this Dublin lockdown and they think its going to be more like 6+ weeks just with the figures. Im going to start studying for an extra topic now I think because who even knows if it will be early november.

On another note has anyone talked to them about moving the application closing date to the 28th rather than the 25th?

Hopefully is this could be the case, there will be some sort of online facility available.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

I sent an email this morning asking if it's possible to extend the application deadline until the 28th, or even allow us add additional exams if we find we failed them.

I'm really not in a position to fork out for Tort/ EU and wait months for a refund. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Jenosul wrote: »
    Hi everyone hope the study is going well. I am just wondering if any kind person has a company grid? Thank you
    Also tips are much welcomed as I am cramming for the extension and hoping for a pass.

I would also really appreciate a company grid, if anyone has one

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Al1501 wrote: »
    I would also really appreciate a company grid, if anyone has one

pm me your email and I'll send it on

For those awaiting results, I just got an email to say that deadline has been extended to the 30th.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

Can someone provide me with an answer here. I've emailed the Law Soc to no avail.

Will the October application, which I've paid for, be brought forward to November? I want to sit the same exams as I originally applied for and I would prefer it to just carry forward rather than have to cancel, wait months for a refund, and reapply for November with money I don't have.

FE1Rookie wrote: »
    Can someone provide me with an answer here. I've emailed the Law Soc to no avail.

Will the October application, which I've paid for, be brought forward to November? I want to sit the same exams as I originally applied for and I would prefer it to just carry forward rather than have to cancel, wait months for a refund, and reapply for November with money I don't have.

There's an automatic reply when you email the Law Soc which says the applications are carried forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 KCSLAW

I got an email saying the deadline is extended until next Wednesday the 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

Anyone else's study and motivation absolutely derailed because of this postponed date?

I was in a great flow and have 75% of my notes done for the exams I was going to sit in October, but now that I've got an extra month on top of it, with the uncertainty around whether that will even happen, I can't seem to focus at all. I know this virus is unpredictable and our government even more so, and not much can be done, but I just can't focus. My study plan was going so well, I was ahead of schedule and had ample time to practice exam questions over and over as I did about 1 or 2 weeks before my last exam. I'm so distracted now. I'm not even spending time on hobbies either I'm just procrastinating wasting nearly all day on the phone or avoiding the books by sorting things out at my job (which was only meant to be a side-piece). I hate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Anyone else's study and motivation absolutely derailed because of this postponed date?

I was in a great flow and have 75% of my notes done for the exams I was going to sit in October, but now that I've got an extra month on top of it, with the uncertainty around whether that will even happen, I can't seem to focus at all. I know this virus is unpredictable and our government even more so, and not much can be done, but I just can't focus. My study plan was going so well, I was ahead of schedule and had ample time to practice exam questions over and over as I did about 1 or 2 weeks before my last exam. I'm so distracted now. I'm not even spending time on hobbies either I'm just procrastinating wasting nearly all day on the phone or avoiding the books by sorting things out at my job (which was only meant to be a side-piece). I hate this.

With you 100%. Really felt I was building momentum the last couple of weeks. Didn't do a tap at the weekend after the announcement of the postponement.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Ya I am the same, I did nothing all weekend but hoping to get back into it today. I signed up to do 4 so could probably do with the extra time

I'm the exact same, I may as well have written this myself. I feel like the wind has been taken out of my sails.

I've taken a few days off and just acknowledged that they were not going to be as productive as the days prior. I'm now just going to continue where I left off with the study plan, the way I look at it is that nothing bad can come out of constant familirisation with the material, it's something that I know I'll be grateful for a few weeks down the line.

What a year to be sitting these exams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

I presume we will get an email today ahead of next Mondays results ?? or is this wishful thinking on my part ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Conversely, the online facility could be set up earlier and we might have the exam earlier than November.

Conversely, the online facility could be set up earlier and we might have the exam earlier than November.

I really can't see it being brought forward again.

I know lots of people who have now gone off study leave and back to work (to go on study leave again in October), so I really cannot see them now bringing the exams back to the original dates/earlier because people will now be planning everything around the new dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

There's surely no way they can move the exams closer? There would be uproar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

There's surely no way they can move the exams closer? There would be uproar

Like the uproar after the Law Society decided to hold exams before candidates even knew whether they had passed the previous ones? Nope, Fe-1 candidates will meekly accept it.

You're right anyways - I doubt they'll bring the exams any closer. But first week of November is more of an aspiration than an actual date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

I asked the same question and got confirmation the application for October will be automatically carried forward. Don’t need to do anything further.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Don't suppose anybody has been in touch with the law society regarding release of a new timetable. Know a lot of people in the same boat with annual leave dates etc.

Don't suppose anybody has been in touch with the law society regarding release of a new timetable. Know a lot of people in the same boat with annual leave dates etc.
    They said to me that the timetable is the exact same as the October one, just on the November dates, commencing on the 3rd.

I assume that's subject to Covid at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

I felt the exact same as you when the fe1's were cancelled in March. My advice is to keep doing a little every day. I was doing tort and I did 2 hours every morning and that was it. Done for the day. It was annoying but it worked. Plus I got that cram energy back near the end which I wasn't sure would happen or not. So my advice is keep working away. You can still have plenty of time for hobbies etc. You will be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

So is Constitutional on the 11th November?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement