Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

So the mayor of LA tested positive for Covid after returning home and loads of police. I can imagine the number of protesters that picked it up. They’re on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Protests generally achieve very little and there are very few examples you can point to where they have proven successful. As it turns out they haven't done much that she asked or told people to do and she’s very annoyed so the protests have not worked. It's far more likely that the alarming reports we've been seeing over the last couple of years have had more of an effect of focusing minds.

I really wouldn't attribute it to somebody who's now reduced herself to shouting insults at people and dismissing any agreements that would have come about.  Those in power, in other words the ones who have reached these commitments, have tolerated these views without necessarily giving them much attention. The good thing so far is the fact that they have agreed and now we have targets that they can be held to task on. 

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Protests generally achieve very little and there are very few examples you can point to where they have proven successful.

Nonsense.

Suffragette movement, civil rights advances, Freedom of sexual identity, the right to divorce, the right to get an abortion all came about as a consequence of the growing public desire for these things. Hell even the metered billing of water supplies in Ireland was cancelled as a consequence of protests.

The alarming reports you talk about have been reported on and heard by more people because in part of the public awareness of the topic which Greta deserves some credit in generating.

But go off, haters gonna hate.

I really never understood that expression. I always saw it as a sign of somebody who'd run out of argument. You don't have to engage with things that you don’t like, any more then I need to be persuaded the opinion of this young woman is worth considering. People have different opinions so let it lie and resist the temptation to insult or pigeonhole people who disagree with you.

I don't hate the young woman, it's far worse I'm indifferent to her. She just came to my attention again this week because of some of her very stupid comments and complete intransigence. Apparently everything so far is a failure when most of the adults see that there are signs that we're going to move in the right direction. We just have to make sure that we continue in that direction and her jumping up and down unfortunately is just not going to do that.

I really never understood that expression. I always saw it as a sign of somebody who'd run out of argument. You don't have to engage with things that you don’t like, any more then I need to be persuaded the opinion of this young woman is worth considering. People have different opinions so let it lie and resist the temptation to insult or pigeonhole people who disagree with you.

You might want to edit your post saying protests do nothing, it's patently false.

As for Greta, I stand by my comments as to how people react about her. She could find a permanent cure for Covid and some people would be asking why didn't she cure cancer first.

• Advertisement

I said generally and your only examples were way back in history and a monumental Phil Hogan screwup. There are thousands of others that did nothing and I am happy to repeat to repeat that they generally do not effect change. I take your point about here but you really should stop insulting people who disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I don’t think an 18yo with only her Junior Cert is gonna be curing anything.

Wrong again. Divorce, abortion, same sex marriage, Irish water all were in the last few years. The BLM protests are a continuation of the civil rights protests from years ago.

That aside, this is why politicians are finally acting on the climate, because the electorate is demanding it more and more.

If they didn't think it would impact them at the ballot box, they'd let the energy companies continue to dictate policy.

"protests work" is an opinion about as unproven and indeed unprovable as any you might try to come up with

Pointing out anything good that has ever happened and claiming it was because of protests is not a very convincing argument

World leaders dont come to decisions because teenagers have strong opinions about things

Climate change is a massive challenge that was always on the agenda and consensus across swathes of public policy, science and opinion is a serious driver even if projected future impacts in themselves arent (politicians are short sighted beasts by nature and as a rule)

Greta thunberg being your favouretest ickle tantrumer is neither here nor there and its telling that whenever challenged to note a single thing she has actually ever achieved the only comeback of actual concrete is "get noticed", accompanied by your usual childish adhom because you think you are entitled to insult anybody not in the fan club

World leaders pandering to her was a mistake and a distraction and shes already yesterday's news and tbh now an unwelcome and unhappy little asterisk to the very real progress made by people of note

One would wish for the media to report more responsibly on her antics but one would be naive to expect it

The other poster is right about your throwing insults about also, of course. Paucity of argument is all it is.

One would presume youd be happy to see great progress on the issues that matter. I think its very telling that its another thread where a high percentage of the posts are you taking snide and baseless digs at people rather than focus on actual events

You guys can give it but can't take it. That much is as obvious as it is unsurprising. If you think my posts are merely throwing insults, go ahead and report them.

And if my arguments are so weak, go ahead and show that in response. Just saying something isn't proven, isn't the same as disproving it, that much is plain to see. And aside from the proven correlation between public opinion being evidenced through protests and this leading to politicians ultimately getting on board, we could further point to the extremes authoritarian figures go to in order to quell protests with the most recent example of this being the last President of the US who begged governors to call in the National Guard to quell BLM protests last summer.

It is interesting to see the argument shift from one where 'there isn't really a problem' to Climate change is a massive challenge that was always on the agenda'. As for the inference that Greta is a favourite little protester of mine, I'm not the one starting threads about her am I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

She's a bit blah blah blah herself if you ask me.

Who writes her speeches? Who are the people behind her? Do we actually know who they are by name or are they hidden?

Anyway, what 'she' is essentially saying there is demanding that our governments prevent us living our lives the way we do, by force. That there is no technological way to reduce emissions or getting around it by doing things differently - but by not doing things at all. Which is more than a bit unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Someone like Andrew Neil really needs to sit this madam down and give her an unmerciful filleting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

given she would chew him up and spit him back out again, he would be wasting all of our, and his time given he wouldn't be able to argue against her.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I just can't understand how any right minded individual can give her the time of day

She's a jumped up, self opinionated little girl who needs to be told be useful and get back to school and learn something instead of shouting slogans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness to her she is being used and being given speeches to read by what seems to be an increasingly frustrated group of people. As she started off with extreme speeches she now has no where to go bar incitement to violence. It’s all a bit sad really the way she is being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What exactly is this attention seeking unruly trouble stirring anarchist child looking for? Other than attention and anarchy and trouble..

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Anarchists and very dodgy characters, she has allready alligned herself with antifa thugs.

No doubt she is a big fan of radical Islam too .

XR will be bombing airports soon ... and the media have been cheering her on all this time.

Yes, so when they return they'll have travelled the equivalent of one revolution of the globe. That's more air travel I've done in my lifetime.

Yes she is clearly being used. She's much more presentable that those long bearded long haired wrinkly dowdy tree hugger types.

I see kids are getting in on the act here - usually middle class kids I've noticed with flowing long hair down to their hips with a flower stuck somewhere in it. Very clever whomever got the kids in on the act. They come across as genuine but of course are clueless of the consequences and unrealistic-ness of what they are demanding.

• Advertisement

Her mission is to gain attention not for herself per se but to stir individuals & organisations to maintain political pressure to the cause of halting the growth of climate change. If she brings upon herself attention so be it, her mind would say. In my reckoning. I don’t think she’s too worried about likes of Boardsies reckoning she’s egotistical as ling as the goal is in sight whether achieved or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

And then daddy picks them up in the range rover, you couldn't write this sh1t...

Given the scientists are on the side of the kids I'd say the cluelessness with respect to consequences is largely on the side of the people who think things can continue as they are.

But hey, you've a couple of oil CEO's who tell you don't worry about it and I'm sure they know best...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

And the BBC emboldening them, this will become a normal thing soon, and when will "small cars" not be enough ? just cars in general.

These people are unemployed little thugs looking for an excuse to cause anarchy, they want to destroy not find practical solutions.

As mentioned before, let's see how long it takes them to start bombing airports.

Hard to believe an adult probably wrote this.

You really think that 'unemployed little thugs' sat around thinking about creating anarchy and the best they could come up with is 'lets deflate tyres on luxury cars'?

And deduced from that that they're only a few steps from bombing airports. That's a leap in logic so unlikely only the likes of Tucker Carlson or Michael Graham would be capable of making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It achieves nothing other than annoying people. Not one of the victims of this are going to reflect on their vehicle choice. The note alone may have achieved more, but what was the carbon footprint of printing the flyers and the extra travel by service vehicles travelling to fix this little stunt. It was done to make themselves feel like they are doing something, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It achieved getting several news items being published on the matter leading to more public conversation, including here.

I don't know what point you were trying to prove by actually proving such views are limited to make belief stories. The very first line.

Editor’s note: Each of these climate-change articles is fiction.

You gotta wonder where we are at when people are getting antsy about make belief stuff and ignoring the facts of what is happening in the real world don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Advertisement