Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He's wrong to suggest that all consideration from experts should be discounted because the predictions they made about something in the future didn't happen to a specific time frame.

At least recognize that if you are arguing about the timeframe of something, you still acknowledging there is a problem.

You are suggesting they are sexist, and I don't mean the term in any legal way, but that it is a gratuitous insult..

Yes. Absolutely. Many of them are.

And stop saying I've no real evidence of something. You disagree with my view, that's fine, I don't care. But when it comes to determining opinions about motivations, you know as well as I do that it is easy for people to hide their true feelings just so they can't be said to have 'definitively' stated something.

And I gave a number of possible reasons why people don't like Greta, I didn't say all of them apply to all people who aren't fans of hers. Suggesting I did is another strawman you now think you've gotten the better of.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

I know, that is the point I am making. But silly, wild, hyperbolic predictions makeit far easier for one to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

No, I will say you have no evidence because you don't. And I am not building another strawman, a phrase you seem to quite like! Though yes, I have overly focussed on the 2nd reason. However, 2 out of the 3 reasons you gave were based in jealousy and sexism, essentially I believe you are making an attribution error.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Greta doesn't seem serious.

It's like a TV show where the star keeps shouting something must be done again and again.

Her blah, blah, blah speech and her especially her tearful anger speech at the UN did a lot to damage her credibility.

Some one mentioned a description of her as a mad medieval child Saint, there is a ring of truth in it.

A real world Nicoledeon show.

I firmly believe that significant changes will have to be made and immediately.

I think it's wrong to pretend that it'll make a fairer and nicer world, it'll make a much tougher world.

Yet that will be minimizing the damage possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This always makes me laugh.

This convolution where someone that is anti unchecked immigration, anti so called multiculture is automatically anti woman and automatically anti womens rights?

FFS have you actually seen the people that some want to invite wholesale into Europe.

Yeah all those lads will be reading Germaine Greer and quoting Nell McCafferty. 🙄

Yeah we had issues with our catholic church riddled state and we finally managed to get out from under that yoke, but that's not good enough we now have ones that some want to live here with their own unique cultures which have introduced things like FGM to us and soon enough honor killings as we follow the same failed path as our neighbours.

This climate problem won't be solved by a whiny girl from Scandinavia.

Yes she will do a job of highlighting things, but so will dozens of others who aren't quite as big a media darling.

It will be solved primarily by middle aged and elderly white guys in places like US, Russia and Europe, some brown guys from India and some yellow lads from China.

And yes mostly by guys because most governments and top level business is male dominated.

But everyone male and female can do their bit by changing a little bit of their lifestyle which then eventually shakes up the old codgers at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Part of the problem with having obsessive compulsive disorder and being fixated on travelling the world to advocate for climate change is that you miss out on a lot of life, and a lot of education which must be painfully obvious to any reasonable person. That lack of education is apparent in her recent antics she is unable to articulate and can be written off as nothing more than a clueless fanatic who is considered brave and enlightened by her followers for promoting a cause that almost everyone genuflects to without any study or reflection.

The Swedish climate activist addressed young protesters in Festival Park in Govan, across the River Clyde from the Cop26 venue.

"Change is not going to come from inside there - that is not leadership, this is leadership," she said.

"We say no more blah blah blah, no more exploitation of people and nature and the planet. No more exploitation. No more blah blah blah. No more whatever the f*** they are doing inside there."

There was an open letter to her send last year by a former Mayor of Hamburg, Germany. Bolded text my emphasis.

Dear Greta Thunberg,

You have already achieved a lot: climate protection is the topic in Europe, you speak to the UN, you have become the face of a movement. You started all by yourself, now hundreds of thousands are demonstrating in your name around the world. This requires conviction and a lot of courage.

I admire this courage. But: the other side of courage is humility. Humility means respect for others. Above all, respect for achievements and ideals that have nothing to do with your own or even compete with them. For example, respect for those who have mined coal and lignite, some of whom have worked hard for generations. For themselves, their families, but also the prosperity in which we live today.

And for those who built cars around the clock, knowing that for most of them the car offered the opportunity to discover their own country and, above all, Europe. And respect for those for whom freedom as unfree, daily bread as hungry, good medicine as sick or equal opportunities is the most important thing for those without a chance.

Courage without humility turns into arrogance, at worst into obsession. Let's be careful that it doesn't come to that. Otherwise, what remains of the good is what is well-intentioned and triggers reactions that have the opposite effect.

What does it mean exactly? Don't let up, Greta! Much has to be done quickly to save the climate. But respect that there are other life stories and ideals as well. Compromises are not rotten, they are the basis of a respectful coexistence.

Heartfelt,

He correctly points out that there are people threatened by the actions of the adult activists who hide behind her. There is no humility or respect from Greta or her supporters, they will find themselves shut out time and again. What do you think is going through farmers minds in Ireland, who as a group of producers are among the first to be directly targeted by this climate crusade?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

China = No new moves to stop run away climate change

India = Carbon neutral by 2070

COP going great i see 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That is a big part of the problem. People have a power of mobility and access to what was once only a luxury afforded by few. Multiply that by the number of middle class people coming up in the BRIC countries alone, and the outcome can’t be all that good, given the wastefulness we all witness in the West.

In Canada, we have the Tar Sands that need a barrel of oil to extract two, and the water, and other parts of the environment are laid to waste. The fracking business is a desperate attelpt to get oil out at all costs. The ever growing need for resources means we have to dig deeper in the earth’s crust and expend more energy to extract them.

The habit of traveling once, twice or more times a year for a family in the West is a recent one, and is based on an industrial model that creates demand.

This convolution where someone that is anti unchecked immigration, anti so called multiculture is automatically anti woman and automatically anti womens rights?

FFS have you actually seen the people that some want to invite wholesale into Europe.

Another strawman.

I never said someone is automatically one thing or the other, I said we see the same voices on the same sides in a lot of these discussions. For the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Oh! One thing, before I forget: Let me not find anything IKEA at Greta’s place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Hole in the Ozone Layer was constantly in the news a decade or so ago. We'd all have to change our fridges otherwise we're going to burn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agreed, Reduce and Reuse - but that's not the Green message now. Doesn't win you votes.

You are literally proving that advocacy and awareness can lead to the necessary action being implemented. That news (and it was more than a decade ago) led to legislation banning the use of CFC's and as a consequence the crisis was averted.

Here's an article on it. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We phased out CFCs but there are still some old fridges around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Basically don't like Greta for pushing politicians and others to listen to scientists but like the kid that picks up cans for a few euros each week.

There is no evidence that the Montreal Protocols had any impact whatsoever. Ozone hole still around last Winter in the Arctic, and still there in Antarctica every year, bigger than ever, no money in it so don't expect much interest unless you tie it to climate change (of course the alarmists do). Last years Ozone hole in Antarctica cleared up due to a Sudden Stratospheric Warming event.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

China and India have basically said no thanks, not our problem.

She demands listening to scientists who should reinforce what she believes and says.

Here is an unwitting example where only one choice is provided and tolerated: her own.

Can a fanatical, ranting young woman be taught to grow out of it? She doesn’t deserve what’s been done to her. I hope, when the world is just fine in nine years, she manages to find something of a normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pawinho

The same pattern for several decades. Pushing young people and paid performers into the streets, propaganda of the coming catastrophe, only to legitimize further taxes and launch new lines of credit. Banksters, corporations and states in cooperation ... the poorest will pay.

" the crusade against climate change will cost $150 trillion in 30 years, most of it in the form of QE and will hike inflation by an additional 3%. It will make the 0.1% beyond rich and will crush the middle class" @zerohedge

• Advertisement

She often throws out mad Unworkable ideas or calls for good ideas but wants them immediately done.

No lead in times.

Greta doesn't take it serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd say that comes down to education and empathy. As an individual she appears to lack both because these are simple solutions with no nuance or understanding that the real world is a lot more complicated. Her language when the guard is let down and the script is not followed is also illuminating. It's her way or the highway.

That's quite a childish outlook for an 18 yo.

I don't blame her in this at all. She has been exploited by her parents.

Does Greta Thunberg not have Asperger’s?

That means she most likely doesn't understand the concept of empathy, she doesn't see shades of grey but black and white.

Her idea of scrapping CAP immediately would decimate EU agriculture, ending up with just industrialised farming which would be even worse for environment, growing need for greater food production in developing nations with possible greater effects for fragile environments like rainforests, and rising food prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

The human race has it in it's hands right now to save the human race, it won't happen though. It won't happen because people like me are comfortable with my lifestyle and i ain't conceding what i have. I enjoy my 1300cc motorbike and my diesel jeep, i enjoy going on at least 2 foreign holidays a year and at least 1 city break, i enjoy eating meat especially red meat, i enjoy watching the football on my 52" widescreen TV with surround sound, i enjoy having my house heated and flicking a switch and having hot water, i enjoy my electronics my American style fridge and my gas powered cooker etc... I enjoy it all.

90% of people are just like that and won't admit it. Yeah they'll make the odd half hearted effort and crow about it on Facebook but if they really wanted to "save the planet" (hate that phrase btw the planet will be fine it us that need saving) they'd give it all in and live like a hermit but hey it's easier to post on Insta about that wonderful staycation in Killarney this summer that beats anywhere else on earth, eh no it doesn't and it cost the price of a small mortgage.

So yeah im admitting it. I could care less tbh if it makes me a dick at least im an honest dick.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sigh. She's autistic, not a psychopath. Autistic people are capable of empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I think there is a class side of this too. She’s upper middle class, crying that her future has been stolen. She’s never worked a day in her life, I don’t think she has any idea what struggle or hardship is.

Then you add comments like “so called leaders” and “the people in there don’t represent you”. She’s a media darling noting more, with a deluded sense of self importance.

Many of those that cheer her on have zero intention of changing their habits and zero clue what is being called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The issue is, when you boil it down, that if you are a rich girl from Sweden or anywhere for that matter and you direct all this anger and demands to political leaders from, in particular the third world, then what they are actually hearing is that we in the west have had our high standards of living and wealth and you can't have that. Your people can never have our standard of living because - the environment.

Naturally they might take a dim view of that attitude for all sorts of reasons.

Whereas the right approach is to stop with the black and white hysteria and to look for solutions over time whereby adjustments can happen fairly and no one needs to be thrown to the wolves overnight. Which is essentially what these "activists" call for. Whole industries and livelihoods to be decimated.

Well that's fine until you realise whose livelihoods they speak of. It's certainly not Greta's.

The other danger of the hysteria is that we risk a generation of children growing up terrified the world is about to end which is an unhealthy state of mind to say the least.

She has Asperger's

Here is definition for you...

Asperger’s Syndrome, a form of Autism Spectrum Disorder, is a developmental disorder. Young people with Asperger’s Syndrome have a difficult time relating to others socially and their behavior and thinking patterns can be rigid and repetitive.

Generally, children and teens with Asperger’s Syndrome can speak with others and can perform fairly well in their school work. However, they have trouble understanding social situations and subtle forms of communication like body language, humor and sarcasm. They might also think and talk a lot about one topic or interest or only want to do a small range of activities. These interests can become obsessive and interfere with everyday life, rather than giving the child a healthy social or recreational outlet.

She does not relate to a lot of people and that is very obvious by your pronouncements.

She is also obsessive and rigid in her views and boy can she repeat them.

Also further points on Aspergers ... and traits she exhibits...

Not understanding emotions well or having less facial expression than others

Conversations that almost always revolve around themselves or a certain topic, rather than others

Not understanding other peoples’ feelings or perspectives

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A.) Asperger's ceased being a clinical diagnosis in 2013. It all falls under Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

B.) Nothing you've posted there supports your assertion that autistic people "don't understand the concept of empathy".

Advertisement