Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think the constructive thing to do is treat the Cop26 deal as a starting point and continue lobbying the individual governments to go further over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Significant in what way?

It's a trend on most of the topics started to attack anything deemed as progressive, it largely becomes a circle-jerk of negativity. Most balanced people get tired of that and just click unfollow. On certain topics, I think it's deserving to have some semblance of reality attached to it.

You weren't here for the first edition of the thread about Greta, (well, maybe you were) a huge amount of the content was people denying there was a problem and even today, there's active threads aiming to negate any argument for meaningful action.

Maybe you and others who now freely admit they agree there is a problem can thank Greta for the increased public conversation on the topic in recent years.

A huge amount of it was actually you personally attacking anyone expressing doubts about the greta bandwagon and projecting hugely about the beliefs of anyone not agreeing with you

Just like this thread is

You guys sure don't like it when given a taste of your own medicine. Always the same, attack, attack, attack, then as soon as someone snaps back, its off looking for a safe space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

And you think those that believed there wasn't a problem now do because of Greta? Because otherwise I'm failing to see the relevance.

And I've never denied there was a problem. I'm fully on board with what the science says, hence my complete opposition to other ideological nonsense such as people can change sex which a certain cohort of people (even on boards) seem to think. But let's not go there!

If you don't want to 'go there', maybe don't bring up the topic?

All I think about Greta is that she is advocating for a cause which will benefit humanity. I don't think she is the first, she is the only one, or she is best placed to do it. But when there is a problem, I don't put my efforts in to those who are trying to ensure it is solved and absolve entirely those who are responsible for either the problem itself, (the oil industry), or the solutions, (the worlds respective governments).

And leave it so people can claim 'everyone thinks this way'?

I don't post trying to change the minds of many on these threads, I don't reckon most of them are open to that, I post so that others who read it see that there is an alternative to the general message.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

When is Greta's next European tour? She doing a Dublin gig? Might get tickets.

• Advertisement

ohh, touched a nerve have I? We can go there if you want. I do hope, for my own sanity more than anything, that you can accept one cannot change sex. If you do not, you have no credibility and I would see no point engaging with you further.

As for your second paragraph, whose absolving the oil industry here? The thread is about Greta. Greta isn't going to solve anything, she isn't even trying to solve anything. She is leaving the solving up to others. If she wants to be problem solver then she needs to try come up with new ideas and enact them, or run for office were she can enact the ideas of others.

ohh, touched a nerve have I? We can go there if you want. I do hope, for my own sanity more than anything, that you can accept one cannot change sex. If you do not, you have no credibility and I would see no point engaging with you further.

You haven't touched any nerve only shown yourself to be incapable of not discussing something you specifically said you didn't want to discuss.

As for your second paragraph, whose absolving the oil industry here? The thread is about Greta. Greta isn't going to solve anything, she isn't even trying to solve anything. She is leaving the solving up to others. If she wants to be problem solver then she needs to try come up with new ideas and enact them, or run for office were she can enact the ideas of others.

Why should different rules be applied to Greta than to every other advocate for any cause on the planet?

If you're looking at the conversation about the climate and putting your efforts in to targeting those trying to call for meaningful action and not talking about the root causes and how they need to stop, then you are absolving them. That isn't a complicated or radical thought.

Efforts? This isn't the UN lad. It's boards.ie. You've no idea what efforts I have or haven't put in. If you think posting here is putting effort into anything well then I feel sorry for you, as you clearly have no idea what real effort is. Do you accept you cannot change sex? You've got to understand, if you are championing someone who says listen to the science, and yet yourself do not do this with other topics, then you come across as a massive hypocrite.

Lol. For the 3rd time posting about something after saying they didn't want to. Apparently you do.

I'm talking about comparable efforts in denigrating those responsible for the climate issue, as you and others do with respect to Greta's efforts. I'm well aware of what real world efforts are, so too is Greta incidentally it seems, which is why she is not buying the Greenwashing of the recent conference.

Oh dear, you've not answered. You've peaked my interest, so I now do indeed. It's a simple yes/no. So, as it pertains to your credibility, as an advocate that climate change is real and one should listen to the Science as it pertains to climate change (which is what Greta says too), do you acknowledge that one cannot change sex, as the science says you cannot? Or do you pick and choose which scientific consensus you want to accept and which you do not, rendering you without any credibility?

Haha oh wow. Refusal to answer. We all know that means! Credibility = 0. Listen to the science, but only the science I agree with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

That's such unusual behaviour. You said you didnt want to talk about a topic completely unrelated this thread. The other person agreed and said no need to bring it up. Then EVERY single post after that, you bring it back to a changing sex topic, and no matter how much the other person said they're happy to not talk about it. You then made it the ONLY thing you'd talk about and judging on the response to that, you'd continue or not continue this thread. Such very unusual tactics.

Ah i just seen you recently joined. So likely a bit of trolling. okies.

Absolutely not. But in the interest of reigning you in and stopping from you thinking you've a 'gotcha moment', here's my only comment on this thread on the topic. I don't think biological sex can be changed, but I do think that gender in as much as it alludes to norms and perceptions is not as cut and dried as this. I'm as bothered as people identifying or living their lives in a particular way as I am about what they have for breakfast or whether they are coffee or tea drinkers.

When someone expresses a desire to use specific or non-specific pro-nouns, I don't freak out and think the world is ending because I have grown up doing that anyway when someone mentions Francis/Bernie/Alex and I don't know is the person they are referring to male or female.

Is that ok for you? Am I now entitled to have a position on the topic of this thread? Do I have your permission? Do you spend a lot of time thinking about other peoples genitalia and how they refer to them?

It's not trolling. Look at the context it was brought. TMH suggested I somehow changed my mind re climate change, potentially as a result of Greta Thunberg. I said I hadn't, and have always accepted the Science. Those who reject climate change is accelerated by man nearly always do it for ideological reasons, and I was stating that I accept climate change as that is what the science says, same how it says one cannot change their sex (which many believe you can for ideological reasons), or that the Earth is roughly globular. Now, TMH, who advocates on behalf of Greta, whose whole selling point is telling people to 'listen to the science', seemingly does not follow her advice him/herself. As such, one can only deem this a large hit to his/her credibility.

• Advertisement

All I needed was a yes/no to the question asked re changing sex. Thankyou for clarifying and I retract my statement in the post above this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thing is - if you're not a card carrying devotee to saint greta of the dodgy placards - you are definitively a climate change denier and an apologist for humans destroying the planet or similar. Just remember that.

The funny thing is the thread originated in a singular humorous look at greta, greta worshippers and ensuing world travels.

Unfortunately every iteration of that original thread has been hounded to near virtual annihilation by attempts to turn that original thread into a rant (not a discussion) solely about how we should all worship greta and if we don't we are all simply misogynists or much much worse ...

Thankfully I see those attempts continue to spectacularly backfire! 😄

Greta and her clan are keeping very quiet.

The cause of climate change mustn't be great enough to bare the elements.

They'll be on the streets again when the sun is shining.

Can this thread be merged onto the original one please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sun is shining today in Dublin. Ireland just had the warmest autumn on record and 2021 was above average temperatures for 11th year in a row.

Just because you don't like Greta and climate change kids get dropped to school in SUVs and have the latest phones, and but China and India, doesn't mean climate change isn't real.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Average temperature over how long? Because in the history of the Earth, I reckon we're well shy of the average temperature, but if recording only began 100 years ago, it might appear that way alright.

Back in the 80s and 90s it was all about CFCs and holes in the ozone layer. Now it's CO2, next it'll be something else. Every time some big shift comes up, all the big corporations jump all over it because it makes them money. Rightly or wrongly, this is an expensive mess and we'll have to foot the bill for the failings of others.

You seem to think commenting on Greta and her clan means that I am stating my position on climate change.

I can believe climate change is real and also think Greta and her army are a bunch of attention seeking egotistic fools who wouldn't do what is necessary for climate change.

Looking forward to seeing what witty posters they can come up with next time to get some likes on instagram.

Ireland may have had the warmest autumn yada yada but that doesn't mean it was nice to be outside. Climate action isn't just for summer!

why are you resurrecting a dead thread about her if she's not in the media any more and you think she's an attention seeker?

Because she'll be back when the weather is nicer, along with her cult army.

Climate change is not just for Summer!

Reminds me of how Crimecall stops broadcasting over the summer months, as if there's no crime. lol

• Advertisement

what the f**k are you on about? when the weather is nicer where?

Advertisement