Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is proof of payment enough to collect gun

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Didn't realise there were many replies. Anyway, I'm all sorted.
    McBrides which I assume is a large shop, says :

"If you have been granted a license, you will then have to go to your local post office and pay the fee for this licence, for example €80 for a three year gun license.
    Once you have this proof of payment, the firearm can be collected from mcbrides.ie in Athlone, on presentation of this document or you can wait until you get your licence, i.e. three to four working days, and collect the firearm from us then."

so I presume, that they would know the law.

Please don't presume because someone is a firearms dealer that they are extremely knowledgeable of the law.

Lads on here have received all kinds of misinformation from them when asking for advice relating firearms legislation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    + 1,000,000

I've seen dealers hand out restricted guns to people with unrestricted licenses, tell people you cannot license a 223 or 308 because they're NATO firearms, etc.

You need no qualifications to become an RFD, like all shooters they learn it over time.

With regard to this thread and topic, LmkLad is spot on. A grant letter is only a letter to say the license (a separate entity) will be issued upon payment of the prescribed fee. Even after you pay at the post office it's still only a grant letter with a receipt for payment. Now while some dealers will except this and nobody on the official end will question this practice wait until the day that someone goes in with a grant letter, a receipt of payment, gets their gun and the payment method gets refused or cheque bounces and the RFD has already handed out the firearm.

You'll find out very quickly how a grant and receipt is not the same as a license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Sika98k

“ You are hereby authorised to have in your possession, use and carry”. That’s what the wording is. Until you’ve got that licence in your grubby little hands you are not entitled to have the firearm in your sticky mitts.
    Of course that’s the law, everyday practice is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

just that i saw a few of the "online" gun shops say that proof of payment is fine

should be fine,after all licence was granted and you paid for it,I never had an issue

Advertisement