Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2020

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Far too easy, that's just poor defence.

Shows the value of keeping the ball alive in contact....

Fcuk yeah!!

Fcuk no

Fcuk yeah!!! This time

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ah Gregory....

And repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sake

That's a ridiculous scrum pen from Williams

Double sake.

Mostly now cos my stream is breaking up and way behind.

Scrum hadn't even happened on my end.

---

Edit: Triple sake. Scrum just happened.

Great game.

It was there to be won

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Relief for the Blues. Umaga will have words after they turned down the 3 with less than 10 to go.

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    Relief for the Blues. Umaga will have words after they turned down the 3 with less than 10 to go.

Highlanders did the same, hunt didn't fancy it. I reckon gatland would have.

Great game.

It was there to be won

Absolutely. Enough chances at the end.

Absolutely. Enough chances at the end.

I've been quietly impressed with the Highlanders over the last couple of games.

Theres a strength and deliberateness up front that's providing a great platform, and is our most threatening attacking area.

Our back three are very inexperienced, and poor Scott Gregory had a day to forget (and nareki also blocked down could have caused another try only we had knock on advantage). I wouldn't mind see gatland start the next couple of games to get some continuity going, or at least until NMS gets back fit and firing and we can assess where he's at.

Highly impressed with mikele tui today... I think he was the stand out back row across the six players, with papeli shining as well. Akira was anonymous. Sotutu was very good but less influential in broken play than tui.

I think you can only be impressed when they were being written off as fodder before a ball was kicked. Made me root for them anyway. Skin is now firmly in the game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good match and a good win for the Blues. Had to really grind it out after going to sleep for the first 20 or so of the second half. I was getting flashbacks to the Blues of old thinking "here we go again". But they stuck at it and got the win. Your boys were better than I expected Syd.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I've been quietly impressed with the Highlanders over the last couple of games.

Theres a strength and deliberateness up front that's providing a great platform, and is our most threatening attacking area.

Our back three are very inexperienced, and poor Scott Gregory had a day to forget (and nareki also blocked down could have caused another try only we had knock on advantage). I wouldn't mind see gatland start the next couple of games to get some continuity going, or at least until NMS gets back fit and firing and we can assess where he's at.

Highly impressed with mikele tui today... I think he was the stand out back row across the six players, with papeli shining as well. Akira was anonymous. Sotutu was very good but less influential in broken play than tui.

Sotutu has some lovely touches though, the pinpoint kick from the back of a scrum, try assist cut-out pass and chargedown leading to another try. Marino looks great too, very destructive. Expect to see both players wearing black.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Apparently Sotutu is eligible for England through his mum. Hope he chooses NZ but if not, I wouldn't begrudge him playing for Fiji.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Apparently Sotutu is eligible for England through his mum. Hope he chooses NZ but if not, I wouldn't begrudge him playing for Fiji.

Good thing he isn't being blocked in his position or he could be another Brad Shields!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A little off topic... yet super rugby related but I’ve developed serious reservations about Gatland being The next lions coach.
    It’s a double standard to me that the coach can be foreign based from their ‘home union’ but a player can’t, and that’s before you realize that he won’t be attending games to the level that other coaches could.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

A little off topic... yet super rugby related but I’ve developed serious reservations about Gatland being The next lions coach.
    It’s a double standard to me that the coach can be foreign based from their ‘home union’ but a player can’t, and that’s before you realize that he won’t be attending games to the level that other coaches could.

He’s taking a year off from the Chiefs though isn’t he? I think that combined with his recent extensive experience in the Northern Hemipshere means it’s probably fine..

• Advertisement

Judging by his last 3 games, he's already got one eye on the Lions...

KevinK wrote: »
    He’s taking a year off from the Chiefs though isn’t he? I think that combined with his recent extensive experience in the Northern Hemipshere means it’s probably fine..

I don’t think any player would be allowed to do it.
    It’s a double standard.

I don’t think any player would be allowed to do it.
    It’s a double standard.

He's not a player, and it's obviously something he contracted for and chiefs were happy to agree to.

I think your getting upset about nothing

He's not a player, and it's obviously something he contracted for and chiefs were happy to agree to.

I think your getting upset about nothing

Upset?
    Your grasp of emotions need education.

..... but I’ve developed serious reservations about Gatland .......

ok, lets change "upset" to having "serious reservations"......

so ill try again

I think your getting upset having serious reservations about nothing

ok, lets change "upset" to having "serious reservations"......

so ill try again

I think your getting upset having serious reservations about nothing

I think it’s a contradiction that a coach is allowed be foreign for the season but a player isn’t.

I also think it’s not good preparation for a coach to be unable to attend the vast majority of games that his potential players will be playing in. That’s terrible preparation.

I think it’s a contradiction that a coach is allowed be foreign for the season but a player isn’t.

I also think it’s not good preparation for a coach to be unable to attend the vast majority of games that his potential players will be playing in. That’s terrible preparation.

He's taking 12 months out of his chiefs contract to focus on the lions.

I'm not sure why you think he would be unavailable to attend games, he's actually available to attend all games. That would have him available to watch, in person, more games than any other contracted coach in the world.

He'll be finished with the chiefs at the end of July.(edit : 9th August actually) .... And be available for "lions watching" before any northern hemisphere games recommence.

As a coach he couldn't actually be in a better position to make assessments and preparations

As to his "foreign" status, I'm not sure that has anything at all to do with his ability to do the job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Upset?
    Your grasp of emotions need education.

Tone it down please. Don't tell people they need to be educated. As ever, this site welcomes civil debate, please bear that in mind.

If there was a candidate based in the UK or Ireland with a similar resume to Gatland then they should have got the job - but there isn't by any stretch.

Speaking of coaches, is Schmidt expected to coach again? I had assumed he might have an eye on the Blues job but they are no longer looking like a rabble so McDonald will be kept on. Perhaps a Prem or Top14 club? Not the best market globally regardless of location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Super Rugby in Australia begins this weekend. Western Force after 3 years in the 'Super Rugby wilderness' are back competing with the other 4 Australian teams. Will be interesting to see how they go.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-01/super-rugby-rule-changes-to-shape-games-future-bring-back-crowds/12404934

Advertisement