Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2020

Options

Comments

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You could make the argument that Beauden currently isn't the best rugby player in the barrett household.

He was flaky and ineffective today, whereas jordie was assured and influential for the Canes

He did score a classic BB try, though. That's the thing with him, he generally does create a moment of magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Chiefs lose yet again. Is Gatland going to find himself under pressure to keep the job?

Is a winless campaign on the cards now? The only home game they have left is hosting the Crusaders.

It they go 8 defeats on the bounce then surely his position is under review.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Chiefs lose yet again. Is Gatland going to find himself under pressure to keep the job?

Is a winless campaign on the cards now? The only home game they have left is hosting the Crusaders.

It they go 8 defeats on the bounce then surely his position is under review.

I think he can point to the precovid form of 4 from 6 for the chiefs, which included an impressive victory over the crusaders.

It doesn't help that they will probably go 0 from 8 in this comp, and the fact he's leaving his post immediately after the end of the season. I don't think hes at risk of being sacked, but maybe his head could be turned to another job if his likelihood of taking over from Foster is lessened.

Going to support the chiefs. I couldn't go for the crusaders as they're favourites. Picking a team likely to win seems a bit cheap, and I get enough of that as a Leinster supporter. I actually don't hate Gatland so having him at helm will add some familiarity. Damien McKenzie is a joy to watch. And crucially I like the jersey.

Whoops

Just finished watching this mornings game. Wow the Highlanders always provide something entertaining. Two worldy tries from Smith and nareki. Huge impact after Thompson went off and we switched to ioane at 10, collins at 12 and hunt at 15. Smith was just world class again.

On gatland and the chiefs... 31 - 7 up after 43 mins and looking like hitting half a century. Their discipline was atrocious, and it will kill gatland that it was a truck n trailer pen that got them in the end.
    I'm convinced that the chiefs backline just isn't good enough, especially in defense, apart from ALB. McKenzie is a good spot tackler but positionally isn't the best 15. Alaimalo and Wainui just aren't good outside defenders, whether that's because of the system or other, and nankeville is suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Just finished watching this mornings game. Wow the Highlanders always provide something entertaining. Two worldy tries from Smith and nareki. Huge impact after Thompson went off and we switched to ioane at 10, collins at 12 and hunt at 15. Smith was just world class again.

On gatland and the chiefs... 31 - 7 up after 43 mins and looking like hitting half a century. Their discipline was atrocious, and it will kill gatland that it was a truck n trailer pen that got them in the end.
    I'm convinced that the chiefs backline just isn't good enough, especially in defense, apart from ALB. McKenzie is a good spot tackler but positionally isn't the best 15. Alaimalo and Wainui just aren't good outside defenders, whether that's because of the system or other, and nankeville is suspect.

Can you possibly explain what 'worldly tries' are as I'm in the dark on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can you possibly explain what 'worldly tries' are as I'm in the dark on this one?

World class

Maybe I spelt 'worldie' wrong?

Anyway..... Highlights....

https://youtu.be/z4k-PJE08x4

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Aaron Smith is in some of his best ever form, such a brilliant player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

hahashake wrote: »
    Aaron Smith is in some of his best ever form, such a brilliant player.

Funny. Im watching it here now & i thought it was live! I came here to say Smith is playing exceptional stuff even though the Chiefs are whipping them.
    A joy to behold.
    And now i see the Highlanders won!
    Great to watch "live" rugby again. Brilliant entertainment and a crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Wales Online reporting impressive viewing figures in UK for Super Rugby with Highlanders vs Crusaders attracting largest audience so far.

Looks like we're in for a big upset this morning.

Absolutely cracking game

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Looks like we're in for a big upset this morning.

Absolutely cracking game

Some fantastic tries... Great game!!

That was a big call. Definitely came out the back, but not sure the ball wasn't still moving towards the line.

Basil3 wrote: »
    That was a big call. Definitely came out the back, but not sure the ball wasn't still moving towards the line.

Ah, think it would have been incredibly harsh to call it a knock on.

Beautiful dummy for that last try by Mo'unga.

Good work, Jordie. That was awesome.

Good work, Jordie. That was awesome.

Terrific game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dozed off on the couch with about 10 to go this morning. Avoided the rugby WhatsApp like the plague til I watched the ending just now.

Cracking game. Great ebb and flow to it.

This result means the final weekend everything will still be to play for, as long as the Blues and/or Hurricanes don't drop a game (or the Crusaders drop another).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Unbelievable game, the pass from Mo'unga for Reece's last try was ridiculous

Mo'unga really is a magician, seems to pull out eye-catching and game-changing plays in every game

Who would want to be a Chiefs supporter? They had plenty of chances to win the game, but you just knew they were going to make a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Lions coach is having some impact in NZ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Who would want to be a Chiefs supporter? They had plenty of chances to win the game, but you just knew they were going to make a balls of it.

I only got around to watching the Chiefs-Highlanders game last night (and **** me they blew it), oddly enough. You'd feel for the fans, but I will admit I am really enjoying watching this happen (repeatedly) to Gatland.

I'll put my hand up as a Chiefs supporter. We are probably the team most wracked by injuries and absences. Case in point 2nd row where we had to run out a geriatric loose forward off the bench (no disrespect to Thomson but he's well past it), which severely depowered our scrum. Hence the decision to take the tap rather than scrum, which given the Blues where a man down, would've been the right call. Last pen was an oddity, not saying it was the wrong call but would have loved to seen camera angles + slowmo.

Realistically both team were fairly poor, but with the possession, territory and penalty count we should have won that. I remain unconvinced by Gatland but also think it's hard to judge him based on this season alone. If we come good in his absence it will make it awkward however.

I only got around to watching the Chiefs-Highlanders game last night (and **** me they blew it), oddly enough. You'd feel for the fans, but I will admit I am really enjoying watching this happen (repeatedly) to Gatland.

Why is that? I've never understood why a lot of people don't like him here, and everyone seems to have a different reason. Will you also be hoping the Lions get hammered by SA?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm the same.

---

Just finished watching the recording of it there. Serious finish to the game.

Honestly thought they had it... Surely they wouldn't feck it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Why is that? I've never understood why a lot of people don't like him here, and everyone seems to have a different reason. Will you also be hoping the Lions get hammered by SA?

No, I won't. I'll be cheering for them and hoping they win. It just takes the gloss off it a little with Gatland in charge (and yes, I know he was involved in other tours as non-head coach). I'll be supporting them in spite of Gatland, not being against them because of him.

I don't like him for a variety of reasons.
    - Large reason: His coach* personality, mind games and media comments about other teams, etc. It's not quite Eddie Jones level, but it's close and is poles apart from someone like Schmidt (who as a Leinster/Ireland supporter, I'm contractually obliged to idolise).
    - Largest reason, if I'm honest with myself, the Wales Connection.
    Coaching Wales during a period where when we should have done a lot better (our Golden generation, then the 2010s etc) but didn't with Wales often doing very well often at our expense. Examples, they knocked us out of a world cup, various 6N losses including that Mike Phillips try. Having to listen to him and watch him during that period got a bit tiresome.
    - Minor reason: dropping BOD. Petty, I know. Don't care. Personal belief is that he did it out of spite, though I'm glad JD had a good game - he was stuck in the middle of that minor ****storm not of his making.

My dislike of Wales and Gatland feed back into each other, I suspect, hard to disconnect him from that Wales time. And yeah, I realise this might be coming across as petty and immature. I wouldn't be taking it too seriously though.

*He seems to be a very likeable person when not in coach mode, from the various non-rugby-coaching stuff I've read/seen/heard of him. Nothing against him personally, this is just in terms of rugby. And in rugby terms, there's no denying that he's had a superb career as a coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think a lot of people in Ireland dislike Gatland because Eddie very much made it me or him and people backed him as the current coach. Then of course he went to one of our main rivals in Wales, and he's not afraid of sniping in the media so probably wound people up.

There's probably still a bit more of a grá for him out west where he came through the ranks as a player/coach for Wegians(or was it Corinthians? I forget) and then on to Connacht coach in a very old school manner. I think I remember reading that he was on a playing tour of Ireland with the All Blacks when he came to Galway and having never played prop as a hooker(might have that backwards...)Wegians asked him if he could play prop for them and coach, he blagged it and said no bother and gave it a shot. It was in one of the Connacht books.

Advertisement