Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 6 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I even got chauffeured in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Matured like a fine wine....

Colm, yes I've done left foot braking in the bus in the bad snow, it was the only way to keep the bus on the road at certain points as could get rear wheels spinning.

Alway remember getting into 1st auto and braked like normal as in a manual, we near went through that windscreen as the brake set up was totally different. Very sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Alway remember getting into 1st auto and braked like normal as in a manual, we near went through that windscreen as the brake set up was totally different. Very sharp.

Did the exact same thing in my first auto back in the day, a Saab 9-5. Nearly put the sales guy through the windscreen!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What was the idea in autos of the brake pedal being wider than in a manual? BMW at least have changed this now so the brake pedal in an auto is the same size as in a manual.

Don't need the space for the clutch pedal so why make the brake pedal small I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

What was the idea in autos of the brake pedal being wider than in a manual? BMW at least have changed this now so the brake pedal in an auto is the same size as in a manual.

I don’t really know but it’s a pain. First time I drove an auto belonging to a now EX GF, I went for the clutch coming into the first roundabout and caught the break instead and gave it a fair aul press. Needless to say she put her seatbelt on after that. Poor girl had taken her belt off a few minutes before for some reason and left a fine imprint of her head on the windscreen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do some people actually learn or adapt to driving an auto using their left foot to brake?

Augeo wrote: »
    Don't need the space for the clutch pedal so why make the brake pedal small I suppose.

Economies of scale would say to drop the wider brake pedal in favour of the same size for both manual and auto which is happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Truckermal wrote: »
    I even got chauffeured in it!

That sounds like a euphemism

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hurrache wrote: »
    Do some people actually learn or adapt to driving an auto using their left foot to brake?
    Some people even adapt to do so in a manual! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

But that's different, I do wonder if some people think that their left foot should be used in an auto, like a go kart.

My last car was my first auto and I made the mistake of frantically searching for the clutch during the first few days.

Funnily enough whenever I drive a manual I haven't once made the mistake of thinking it's an auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

First time I had company car for few days I did the same mistake, approaching the roundabout wanted to prepare to stop and left foot on clutch, right foot on brake which turned into both feet on brake :) Unexpected emergency braking, luckily no car behind me.

Since then I remember to leave my left foot in rest position. Not needed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

My last car was my first auto and I made the mistake of frantically searching for the clutch during the first few days.

Funnily enough whenever I drive a manual I haven't once made the mistake of thinking it's an auto.
    I used to do the exact same in the DS3 but that's stopped now... only because instead, I just press brake and push in the ignition to "button start" the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Killinator

When I was test driving my R32 before I bought it I came to a speed bump and instinctively moved my left foot to press the clutch, except there was no clutch only a brake pedal.
    Aa has bee already stated, k nearly went out the windscreen :D
    Just joked with the seller that at least I knew the brakes worked well and he took.it in the right spirit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

My car is manual and my van is auto. It took a little bit of concentration switching between the two at first but it’s an automatic ;) reflex now.

I think everyone has jammed on the brakes looking for the clutch in the first few miles of driving an auto.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

An auto van, very fancy. Rare at least, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

CianRyan wrote: »
    An auto van, very fancy. Rare at least, what is it?

It’s a Caddy. We hadn’t planned for an auto but it’s the 150bhp version and for 2020 we could only order it with the DSG box.

I’ve driven a good few nice autos over the last few years and I’m really liking them more and more.

Disclaimer: I know a DSG isn’t a conventional automatic box as such

Edit: I thought this was the chat thread. Sorry for the photoless post.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,167 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone remember when this thread was about posting pictures of cars? :P

20200921-111230.jpg

I've driven a few DSG Transporters which are fantastic, I imagine it feels even better in a caddy!

As an apology, please accept this very instagram screen shot of my swift after a rub down.

Screenshot-20210304-234026.jpg

• Advertisement

Economies of scale would say to drop the wider brake pedal in favour of the same size for both manual and auto which is happening now.

Yeah but you asked why were brake pedal larger in automatics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Swift Sport, they like to rev.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

You have that Swift a while now I think Cian. Great cars

Over a year now, it's coming up on RX8 territory, needs as much fixing too. :pac:

Oh it loves to rev, no power under 4500rpm and shag all above it. I love to chase it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

An oldie but a goodie. 16 years old this month.

JtgcnBE.png

Stumbled across this one too, sub pens at La Rochelle 2016. Racked up 4000km on that trip, didn't miss a beat.

TiGOC21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭traco

Cracking looking car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jesus I miss a good trip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Her first wash, and now I love it :D

545943.jpeg

Oh god yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi