Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The Cush wrote: »
    Attached is enet's list of 88 co-location sites. All are located on the State owned MANs. All bar 2 of these are NBI OLT locations.

The 2 not included in the 88 are Blarney and Kells, both appear further down the NBP contract list of OLT locations, Kells OLT 124 and Granagh (Blarney?) OLT 117. In eircom exchanges?

Two other OLT locations, in the first 88 but not on the list of state-owned MANs co-location sites are Castlebar (OLT 84/PoH) and nearby Manulla (OLT 83). enet owns the MAN in Castlebar.

The Kells MAN is in Meath. Kells (OLT124) is in Kerry. It is an eir exchange building as is Grenagh. I guess the Blarney MAN was too close to the other Cork deployment areas to be useful so they had to go that bit further to Grenagh.

Manulla is a weird one. It does not appear to be an enet building at least not like the other 80 or so. It is not an eir exchange building. It appears, from an aerial view, to be a cabinet or cabinets placed alongside the railway track where the CIE fibre that backhauls the Castlber MAN runs.

It is also quite close to Castlebar, just under 6km from the Castlebar OLT.

I don't know if there is anyone here that knows the area and could shed some light on what is there.

https://goo.gl/maps/QWP64YpANhPyCx4j6

543881.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBAiii wrote: »
    It is an eir exchange building as is Grenagh. I guess the Blarney MAN was too close to the other Cork deployment areas to be useful so they had to go that bit further to Grenagh.

Thanks for the info.

I had a look at the various non-finalised townlands lists around Grenagh and Midelton, but couldn't find Blarney or adjacent townlands listed on them. Someone locally may have better knowledge of the area may be able to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭rounders

Thanks for the info.

I had a look at the various non-finalised townlands lists around Grenagh and Midelton, but couldn't find Blarney or adjacent townlands listed on them. Someone locally may have better knowledge of the area may be able to check?

Not too sure I fully got the question but I can confirm some Blarney addresses are being served by Grenagh. I only looked at where was relevant to me though so not sure how wide a area towards the city it's going.

Edit - Just went back to have a look at the townlands for Grenagh. They have listed an address in Midleton under Grenagh so not sure how accurate these lists are

See COOM (Midleton) about quarter ways down the list
    https://nbi.ie/grenagh-townlands/

That one side, it seems to stretch to Clogheen (on the city side of Blarney heading towards Wilton/CUH

Farren - On the Macroom side of Ballincollig

Carrignavar - North of Blarney on the far side of Whitechurch

Dromahane - Just on the Grenagh side of Mallow

rounders wrote: »
    Edit - Just went back to have a look at the townlands for Grenagh. They have listed an address in Midleton under Grenagh so not sure how accurate these lists are

Yes. they seem to be incomplete and not in alphabetical order, until the low level design is done I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I've had phone poles replaced down a boreen yesterday.

I say replaced, but they didn't remove the old ones. And they left some that to my eye were worse than the ones they did 'replace'.

Ballymurray in Roscommon.

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    I've had phone poles replaced down a boreen yesterday.

I say replaced, but they didn't remove the old ones. And they left some that to my eye were worse than the ones they did 'replace'.

Ballymurray in Roscommon.

I'm sure they know what they're doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone else see the “when will I be connected”push from Fine Gael online from last night??

www.finegael.ie/broadband

If it’s our townland they have down then they are being VERY optimistic.. no survey even done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone else see the “when will I be connected”push from Fine Gael online from last night??

www.finegael.ie/broadband

If it’s our townland they have down then they are being VERY optimistic.. no survey even done yet.

Looks like a data grab to me, no way am I giving Fine Gael my email address!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scottyboi_2016

Looks like a data grab to me, no way am I giving Fine Gael my email address!

It’s pretty much the same info you can get on the NBI website, I used a disposable email address for it!

I'm in Co Limerick but will be connected to the OLT in Newport Tipperary, no info for my location via the Fine Gael link.

Deployment areas criss cross county boundaries so doing it by county is a bit pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just looking at the Cork list, am I right in saying that there is no townlands under the Grenagh deployment area planned for 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

rounders wrote: »

See COOM (Midleton) about quarter ways down the list
    https://nbi.ie/grenagh-townlands/
    There are a few 'Cooms' in the Grenagh OLT

Pic below shows Grenagh townlands and Commercial areas in red. Possibly they're not remediating bad (<30Mb/s) VDSL in urban areas until the grace period ends for commercial fibre plans - in about 6 years. In rural areas they leave out townlands that already have 100% commercial coverage or no premises.
    543954.png

Thanks for the info.

Grenagh OLT: Co-location appears to be behind the National School on the railway track.
    https://goo.gl/maps/4rqpBb8GQ4C1T3iT6
    Manulla: Apple Maps gives a bit more detail, but nothing to see in the Mayo CoCo planning register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Steve F wrote: »
    Hi all
    A crew of 4 or 5 men were at my address this morning ,<snip> , with cherry picker lift and an NBI van cutting tree branches.
    Any idea what this means as far as how much longer till I'm told Fibre is available at my address?

Update:-KN networks crew outside house this morning digging up verge where I know the Fibre cable runs.
    Went out to have a chat,they said there was a fault with the cable and they were doing a splice.
    I asked "how much longer till the cable is run to my house?"
    Man "Very soon I'd say"
    I know mods don't think its a good idea to post eircode so I will just say "Louth"
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Actavo van just came down my road for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Steve F wrote: »
    Update:-KN networks crew outside house this morning digging up verge where I know the Fibre cable runs.
    Went out to have a chat,they said there was a fault with the cable and they were doing a splice.
    I asked "how much longer till the cable is run to my house?"
    Man "Very soon I'd say"
    I know mods don't think its a good idea to post eircode so I will just say "Louth"
    :D

North/South/Mid Louth? And are you close to a major town?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

surveying completed in Barrowhouse Co Laois apparently they have been told the go live date is November 2021 and that they will be a pilot area for the county

Curious to know if people think that throttling will still be a thing once fibre is rolled out? I use a WISP and while they're generally excellent, there is noticeable throttling for things like Steam downloads during daytime vs night-time hours. We're talking going from (200KB-1MBps)Day -> 5MBps Night
    With WISPs, is throttling done to manage the RAN or or the core network generally speaking? And if it's the core, then won't fibre have the same problem for a given WISP? Hoping people with a little more experience can enlighten me...

It should not be an issue. The issue with WISPs is generally the radio access part. With NBI there should be no radio part of the chain (outside of islands where NBI may backhaul over wireless).

NBI seem intent on monitoring all of their service providers to make sure that they are meeting specified service levels for speed, packet loss etc.

My experience with FTTH connections are that they just work 24/7. I have not really experienced any slowdowns, peak or otherwise.
    Thanks for the info.

My suspicion is that Cork-Mahon will be an OLT site for the Cork urban areas. There was a poster speculating that places like Passage West would be in the Midleton deployment. I can't see that happening. The distances seem too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

With the NBI having to work outwards from the various OLT's, am I right in saying that all other active Fibre in the same area would also be connected to that OLT, its just that NBI have to use their own Fibre lines?

My example is basically, my own estate currently has no FTTH available however recently another estate at the other end of the town was fully connected to FTTH through Eir. This other estate was also previously part of the IA.

On top of this, 500m down the road outside the town, premises have FTTH built there too.

In the morning if Eir just decided feck it lets rollout fibre to this estate, would they have to start from that specific OLT, or would it just be a case of continuing to string Fibre along polls and then place new Distribution boxes around the estate?

Just wondering how much work it would take for Eir if they ever took a notion?

joe123 wrote: »
    With the NBI having to work outwards from the various OLT's, am I right in saying that all other active Fibre in the same area would also be connected to that OLT, its just that NBI have to use their own Fibre lines?

My example is basically, my own estate currently has no FTTH available however recently another estate at the other end of the town was fully connected to FTTH through Eir. This other estate was also previously part of the IA.

On top of this, 500m down the road outside the town, premises have FTTH built there too.

In the morning if Eir just decided feck it lets rollout fibre to this estate, would they have to start from that specific OLT, or would it just be a case of continuing to string Fibre along polls and then place new Distribution boxes around the estate?

An NBI OLT is separate from an Openeir OLT. They may be in the same building in certain cases.

In your case you are specifically asking about the Openeir infrastructure. Without knowing how they have designed the network it may be a case of splicing into a nearby distribution point or they may have to run a new cable from the exchange. Either way, it would not be a huge undertaking given that the preparatory work is already done and the network is live around the town.

I would view it as positive that they have enable that other estate. It shows that they are at least aware of the area. Your estate may be on an upgrade list but to be honest it is next to impossible to get information from them so you can't do much bar wait and hope.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »

Eir will use their own fibre and OLT located in their own exchange to do any rollout.

NBI will use a combination of enet exchange located OLTs and eircom exchange located OLTs but will be using all their own fibre.

Was speaking to an ISP representative today, the whole Carrigaline rollout in Cork is delayed as speculated on here previously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Do we know where in cork they are doing after carrigloline?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Do we know where in cork they are doing after carrigloline?

Midleton, late this year, early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Midleton, late this year, early next year.

Are they connecting roads inbetween or are they doing towns first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Was speaking to an ISP representative today, the whole Carrigaline rollout in Cork is delayed as speculated on here previously

Was there any reason given for the delay?

Was there any reason given for the delay?
    None given no

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MarkoF

Ducting installation in Cobh this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

I wonder is it the whole carrigaline rollout because we are part of that rollout and Eircode is still showing 1st of March plus somebody posted yesterday about Nova now taking orders for carrigaline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Was that a rep on a phone or something? Haven't heard anything about delays and ISPs are actively taking orders.

Advertisement