Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Are the resellers ready to offer packages from the get go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

NBI vans spotted around east cork (ladysbridge) area this morning, despite the weather, but prob hampered by blocked roads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

rounders wrote: »
    First connections to happen this month in Carrigaline in Cork

Have you any evidence of this? From what I have heard the build work is only beginning in the coming weeks. NBI have announced no retail partners as of yet. Unless they are going to do some PR stunt of "connecting" one or two premises I don't see how they are anywhere near launching the network yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Build work for the new fibre network is due to commence in parts of Cork and Cavan by the end of this month, and shortly after that, in townlands in Galway.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0814/1159152-broadband-speeds-will-be-3-times-faster-nbi/

Evidence.......

Evidence.......

I'm afraid that is not evidence of connections, as in people getting connected. It is build work i.e tree trimming, pole replacement, access chamber renovation etc. There will be nobody connected this month, next month or perhaps even before the end of the year.

• Advertisement

NBAiii wrote: »
    I'm afraid that is not evidence of connections, as in people getting connected. It is build work i.e tree trimming, pole replacement, access chamber renovation etc. There will be nobody connected this month, next month or perhaps even before the end of the year.

Grand. If you say so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Saw an NBI branded van turning south out of Carrigaline around half eight this evening. Either they're heading home for the evening or burning the midnight oil...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

As I mentioned before I have been talking with one of the contractors and they said they will be putting up fibre in the next 4 weeks or so in Limerick and they are not the first area. This is happening now....I think there will be DP points up deffo before Christmas in the carrigaline area. Which is good because I'm building a house near there.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    As I mentioned before I have been talking with one of the contractors and they said they will be putting up fibre in the next 4 weeks or so in Limerick and they are not the first area. This is happening now....I think there will be DP points up deffo before Christmas in the carrigaline area. Which is good because I'm building a house near there.

Who's your contractor friend? TLI or Secto|GMC? Hardly KNN. Did they show you the low-level designs because I've seen some of them and I appreciate the amount of work involved. Carrigaline for example has about 4500 premises planned, Cavan has over 3000. They'll pass the premises around the OLT locations easily enough becaue the infrastructure is probably in decent shape.

When they come to the parts where eir stopped is when the slog begins. The aveage eir rural exchange area was way less than 1000 premises and it was taking them months to complete the work so unless NBI are throwing massive amounts of manpower at this it's going to take similar amounts of time.

There is competition for the manpower also with eir urban, Siro and Virgin all building at the same time and all using the same sub-contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

How long did the EIR Rural 300k or whatever it was take to build? This is pretty similar and will likely be done by the same people, EIR obviously stopped the continued rollout but every new house on NBI fibre is a victory for common sense and the economic benefits it brings to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Who's your contractor friend? TLI or Secto|GMC? Hardly KNN. Did they show you the low-level designs because I've seen some of them and I appreciate the amount of work involved. Carrigaline for example has about 4500 premises planned, Cavan has over 3000. They'll pass the premises around the OLT locations easily enough becaue the infrastructure is probably in decent shape.

When they come to the parts where eir stopped is when the slog begins. The aveage eir rural exchange area was way less than 1000 premises and it was taking them months to complete the work so unless NBI are throwing massive amounts of manpower at this it's going to take similar amounts of time.

There is competition for the manpower also with eir urban, Siro and Virgin all building at the same time and all using the same sub-contractors.

Ok dude..all I'm saying this project is happening now. Don't see what the problem is? We are all going to reap the benefits over the next few years.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Ok dude..all I'm saying this project is happening now. Don't see what the problem is? We are all going to reap the benefits over the next few years.

Looking at the account it seems to be someone that has setup an account just to give out about the NBP. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I trust NBI, a lot more than I trust Eir. They are progressing well. I respect its a big project but at the same time they aren't promising to have it done in a month. The project is spread over years for a reason.

Like you said, we're all going to reap the benefits soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Spotted a TLI Group van outside Carrigaline this morning.

There is no problem on my end. I'm just trying to be realistic about the situation. People are hungry for information and I, hopefully, will be able to provide some of that over the coming period.
    Looking at the account it seems to be someone that has setup an account just to give out about the NBP. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I trust NBI, a lot more than I trust Eir. They are progressing well. I respect its a big project but at the same time they aren't promising to have it done in a month. The project is spread over years for a reason.

Like you said, we're all going to reap the benefits soon

I'm not giving out. As above I'm being realistic. I'm one of the few that have posted here recently that has a vague notion of what is happening on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone here thats located in the surveyed locations over the last few months? Curious to see if they have actually updated the NBI map at all.

Speaking with the support team, they post a message telling people to get in touch and ask questions, but they only ever reply with template answers. Couple of my neighbors getting conflicting answers too.

"We update the map as survey continues" - as far as Im aware the map hasnt been updated since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

joe123 wrote: »
    Anyone here thats located in the surveyed locations over the last few months? Curious to see if they have actually updated the NBI map at all.

Speaking with the support team, they post a message telling people to get in touch and ask questions, but they only ever reply with template answers. Couple of my neighbors getting conflicting answers too.

"We update the map as survey continues" - as far as Im aware the map hasnt been updated since March.
    My premises was surveyed in January, in Rochestown, Cork. Still says 'surveying underway'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

My house is in the "intervention area" and the status of my premise is pending survey. What does this mean they look at the location and decide what to do?

My situation is very odd live on a cul de sac country road in North county Dublin about 30 houses on the road. The first half of the road have fibre to home and then it just stops. I'm of course in the second half of the lane.

My next door neighbor has 150mb line and I have 7mb 😭

I have a couple of thosand Eircodes for one of the first planned areas. I obviously haven't checked them all but I have checked a few. Those included in the rollout for the area get the message
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below

Those not included don't get that message.

I think it's definitely changed since March but I'm not sure when.

jones wrote: »
    My house is in the "intervention area" and the status of my premise is pending survey. What does this mean they look at the location and decide what to do?

My situation is very odd live on a cul de sac country road in North county Dublin about 30 houses on the road. The first half of the road have fibre to home and then it just stops. I'm of course in the second half of the lane.

My next door neighbor has 150mb line and I have 7mb ��

NBI have divided the country into 227 deployment areas. It will depend which area you are in as to when you might receive a service. If you're getting that message youy're not in one of the first planned areas unfortunately.

NBI have divided the country into 227 deployment areas. It will depend which area you are in as to when you might receive a service. If you're getting that message youy're not in one of the first planned areas unfortunately.

Is there a way to check which of the 227 deployment areas you would be in?

10km from me has the first rollout date of "Dec 2020 - Feb 2021".

Someone I know is in a village where they have this rollout date but when they check their own house, they have premises pending survey. So it looks like it was a hard cut off even if you lived a minutes walk up the road. Other houses before his, have the rollout date, past him dont.

If there are people who were surveyed in January still at Surveying underway, thats pretty ominous for those stuck on the "premises pending survey".

• Advertisement

Is there a way to check which of the 227 deployment areas you would be in?

10km from me has the first rollout date of "Dec 2020 - Feb 2021".

Someone I know is in a village where they have this rollout date but when they check their own house, they have premises pending survey. So it looks like it was a hard cut off even if you lived a minutes walk up the road. Other houses before his, have the rollout date, past him dont.

If there are people who were surveyed in January still at Surveying underway, thats pretty ominous for those stuck on the "premises pending survey".

There is no way to check definitively that I know of at the moment. You could make an educated guess though.

For the area I've seen the furthest (in a straight line) premises away from the OLT location is about 14km. This was only in one direction (eg East) other directions were much less, 9 or 10km.

The issue is the cable does not travel in a straight line. A premises 10km, as the crow flies, from the OLT can be well over 20km cable distance.

It is a hard cut-off. Just like the eir rollout there will be premises a few hundred metres away that will be in another deployment area.

What NBI seem to be doing is building the point of handover locations (33) first. Unfortunately for those in more rural areas these are all likely located in the larger urban OLT locations, so you get Carrigaline, Cavan, Galway, Limerick, Skerries, Dunboyne, Carlow, Letterkenny etc being built first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

There is no way to check definitively that I know of at the moment. You could make an educated guess though.

For the area I've seen the furthest (in a straight line) premises away from the OLT location is about 14km. This was only in one direction (eg East) other directions were much less, 9 or 10km.

The issue is the cable does not travel in a straight line. A premises 10km, as the crow flies, from the OLT can be well over 20km cable distance.

It is a hard cut-off. Just like the eir rollout there will be premises a few hundred metres away that will be in another deployment area.

What NBI seem to be doing is building the point of handover locations (33) first. Unfortunately for those in more rural areas these are all likely located in the larger urban OLT locations, so you get Carrigaline, Cavan, Galway, Limerick, Skerries, Dunboyne, Carlow, Letterkenny etc being built first.

Are all the OLT locations known?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

More specifically, is the list of possible OLTs that was posted here previously accurate?

Also, if it is accurate, can anything be inferred from being near an OLT in terms of timeline?

I'm ~7km from one of the listed locations, but not included in the initial tranche of areas to be surveyed for this county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Dero wrote: »
    More specifically, is the list of possible OLTs that was posted here previously accurate?
    I wouldn't believe anything that louse says. :pac:

Interesting list. So is the carrigaline OLT going to serve all areas in and around Cork city that are in NBI.

So if that list is correct, NBI are picking OLT locations, and working in roughly a 14Km radius around that OLT location building out from that?

Hmm that does not look like good news for my area so. Based in Headford town, 20 minutes from Galway City, the nearest OLT location to me looks to be Belclare, which is pretty much bang on 14Km away and I dont see any overlap from other locations at quick glance.

Its frustrating that this type of info isnt available on the NBI website. Instead we get the "ask us anything = copy paste responses"

The list posted by Dero is all of them currently.

Also, if it is accurate, can anything be inferred from being near an OLT in terms of timeline?

I'm ~7km from one of the listed locations, but not included in the initial tranche of areas to be surveyed for this county.

Yeah, it is accurate. As I said earlier if you're near to one of the proposed PoH locations you're likely to see a connection sooner than if you're not. It seems the PoHs will be in major regional towns in the main.
    Interesting list. So is the carrigaline OLT going to serve all areas in and around Cork city that are in NBI.

Perhaps Greagh might do some of the North of Cork. I have not seen that design.
    So if that list is correct, NBI are picking OLT locations, and working in roughly a 14Km radius around that OLT location building out from that?

Hmm that does not look like good news for my area so. Based in Headford town, 20 minutes from Galway City, the nearest OLT location to me looks to be Belclare, which is pretty much bang on 14Km away and I dont see any overlap from other locations at quick glance.

Its frustrating that this type of info isnt available on the NBI website. Instead we get the "ask us anything = copy paste responses"

14km was just in one direction in one deployment area. It may be less or slightly more in other locations. I would agree with you though that Belclare looks likely to cover Headford.

Perhaps Greagh might do some of the North of Cork. I have not seen that design.

Have you the design for Carrigaline? I see houses very close to the south of the city {8-9KM from Carrigaline) that seem to be included in the 1st phase. "Date: Dec 2020 to Feb 2021" on the NBI site.

I see other houses on the West of the city about 14KM from Carrigaline (crow flies) that are pending survey.

Is the plan to finish out the 1st set of OLT before moving onto other OLT? I presume not.

Have you the design for Carrigaline? I see houses very close to the south of the city {8-9KM from Carrigaline) that seem to be included in the 1st phase. "Date: Dec 2020 to Feb 2021" on the NBI site.

I see other houses on the West of the city about 14KM from Carrigaline (crow flies) that are pending survey.

Is the plan to finish out the 1st set of OLT before moving onto other OLT? I presume not.

I've not seen Carrigaline. You would have to assume the premises 14km to the west are in another deployment area assuming NBI have surveying complete, which they likely have seeing Carrigaline is being built first. This also assumes that the website map is being updated to reflect the surveyed premises.

The question of whether they'll complete a full area in one go is an interesting one. If you go by the dates given on the website it appears they will. The premises furthest out have the same indicative dates as those closest to the OLT. It's quite possible that they'll blitz an area with lots of crews and try to complete it in a few months before moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm in Carrigaline and not seeing any adds etc fir same,ive siro VF in Carrigaline, it goes from absolutely brilliant to ****e- 700 mb- 35 MB

Advertisement