Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerk behaviour on public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

lawred2 wrote: »
    why are waiting to be asked? :confused:

So I get more room to myself for longer. If there are spare seats it's a great way to make sure one of the spare seats is next to me. No hassle, no drama. Once someone says they why to use the seat, I move the bag and they sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

My bag always stays there unless someone asks me to move it so they can sit down. For all the big talk, nobody has ever touched it, I’ve never even seen it happen. People just politely ask to move the bag and I politely do so and they sit dow. No drama.

Unfortunately, this is not the case on my bus route/s as they pass through and go to less desirable areas. Just three weeks ago on a bus a man and a little girl got on and came upstairs, the girl chose a seat beside another who removed their bag, the man picked up the bag from the seat opposite to them where a 14/15 y/o was sitting with their bag on the seat, the man picks it up and throws it at the child all while ranting about seats being for "arses" followed by a whole load of nonsense while saying it to the little girl that was with him for all to hear, also on a phone call 5 mins later saying the same things. I felt sorry for that girl. The teen obviously got a fright and looked on the brink of tears. The man was a scrawny little rat who was the image of Cristian bale in the Machinist, it looked to be on methadone.

I was sitting at the window behind the little girl and had asked the teen if he was ok and the rat told me to mind my business, I didn't acknowledge him and asked the teen again while nodding that he was, the man then said "I told you to mind your own business pal", He wasn't too pleased when I asked him what business he had with the child beside him and the reasoning behind throwing his bag at him with force. It became my business when you assaulted a child. That was followed by a tirade of juvenile abuse from it. I didn't respond as the little girl was there and would make the situation worse. A woman and a man also said something to him backing me up. the usual coward chest banging ensued and he moved downstairs.

I've seen this before with jackets, shopping bags & handbags on seats. But when using public transport, people seem to lose all manners and respect for others are just outright ignorant, who lack common courtesy and sense

Unfortunately, this is not the case on my bus route/s as they pass through and go to less desirable areas. Just three weeks ago on a bus a man and a little girl got on and came upstairs, the girl chose a seat beside another who removed their bag, the man picked up the bag from the seat opposite to them where a 14/15 y/o was sitting with their bag on the seat, the man picks it up and throws it at the child all while ranting about seats being for "arses"...

Blimey. Fair play for looking out for the child. It must have taken bottle with the bloke behaving the way he was. Bottom line is you can't really touch other people's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

People who make themselves as big as possible arms out, man spreading that sort of ****e. Pull your arms in and close your legs you fat ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

People who make themselves as big as possible arms out, man spreading that sort of ****e. Pull your arms in and close your legs you fat ****.

Careful, Sammington, that won't be popular around here. We’ll soon hear about the female versions (handbags apparently, even though they sit quite neatly on one’s lap) because this is AH. Whatabouting is a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

**** parenting - always there, but reaching expert level among some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ranting & Raving has a whole thread on this and it's great reading.

There's a punch in the face coming for the people that can't/don't wait to leave people off at stops before trying to board themselves.

There's a Ranting and Raving forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Irish people using the word "jerk".

33 of you held on just for that?!

Jerks! Lol

Thank God there’s no downvoting!

Good reading so far...

The ironic part of it was, it was a woman. If a man is so much as an inch out of place, he gets put in his #MeToo place. But if a woman does it, it’s #woke.

On that note, I do notice a lot of aggressive behaviour from the ladies which, the fact is, I never see from men. Just saying.

I’ll just add that it’s eye-opening learning about all the crap going on ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Elysium1 wrote: »

Jerks! Lol

Good reading so far...

The ironic part of it was, it was a woman. If a man is so much as an inch out of place, he gets put in his #MeToo place. But if a woman does it, it’s #woke.

On that note, I do notice a lot of aggressive behaviour from the ladies which, the fact is, I never see from men. Just saying.

Why is it ironic that it was a woman? Did anyone assume it was a man? Nobody seems to have jumped to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Being 6 foot 4 ,19 stone and looking like an extra from sons of anarchy i tend to not take any bull**** from scrotes on public transport..they seem to get the message very fast.

• Advertisement

Blimey. Fair play for looking out for the child. It must have taken a bottle with the bloke behaving the way he was. Bottom line is you can't really touch other people's stuff.

The kid got a fright and it was all over her face. The man didn't even give the kid a chance to take the bag up for him, it was all done in one swift go. I never get involved in situations like this, if it was an adult instead of a kid, the adult can look after themselves but this was a timid kid who was visually shaking. It wasn't a parent thing as I don't have kids but if I did I would hope an adult would do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

Nothing irritates me more than the bag on the seat. So rude.
    Makes me want to sit there even if every other seat is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Flaccus wrote: »
    15 weeks ago a regular who gets Cork bus to Ballyhea and known for anti social behaviour by screaming at everyone calling them Limerick “pavis” was called on it by driver. He wouldn't remove himself until he was forced off by gardai at Malllow but not before calling the driver every expletive under the sun relating to his what he assumed was a Polish heritage. Hasn't been seen since but he would always put on a weekly performance last few years.

12 weeks ago, at Parnell place bus station in Cork, scummer taken forcefully off bus in cuffs by 2 gardai. He had jumped over the counter in subway across the road, robbed what he could and his genius plan for escape was to head to Limerick.

7 weeks ago on Limerick to Cork bus, a nob got on at mallow, put his bag on window seat, sat in aisle seat and stretched both legs across to other seats.

2 weeks ago another cnut got on at Charleville, bus was nearly empty (8.55pm from Cork), took his shoes off, lied down and put his feet on ceiling.

Last week 4 got on with a bluetooth speaker about ttr size of an 80’s boombox. This was a Friday evening, packed bus. They lifted everyone out of it with gangsta rap and I will never understand why they were not thrown off after all the complaints and abuse one of them gave the driver.

This week a pikey family going to Galway were refused by the driver. And I know why. About 3 months ago one of them took a crap on the backseat near Ballyhea and the bus had to be abandoned and a new one sent out. Excuse from family was no toilet and driver would not stop.

Jaysus the Citylink Galway - Limerick - Cork seems very civilised compared to these Bus Eireann stories. :eek::eek:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Idiots sitting down on clearly pre booked seats on irish rail is a pet hate of mine!!

And then the awkward re-shuffle when you ask somebody to move.... "ugh sorry I didn't know it was booked",,,,,,, sure bud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Flaccus wrote: »
    About 3 months ago one of them took a crap on the backseat near Ballyhea and the bus had to be abandoned and a new one sent out. Excuse from family was no toilet and driver would not stop.

You'd be surprised how often this happens on buses. Nowhere near as often as sick or piss, but nonetheless... there are some truly disgusting creatures out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I hate when people eat on public transport, so many times ive been on a bus and some arse hole will sit in the seat in front or behind me and start munching on a load of crisps or loudly chew on a sandwich. The last time I got the bus a guy sat in the seat in front of me, was chewing his gum so loud I had to move seats, it sounded so gross and almost intrusive, like where did he think he was?
    Also annoys me when people on public transport have their music or headphones blaring. Its always young lads too.
    Lastly, people who try to talk to me on public transport. I was on a very long busy train journey in one of those 4 seat compartments where the seats face each other. Im minding my business, reading a book, next thing I look up and this older lady is sitting across smiling at me, when I look up she starts a conversation. I wasnt in the head space for a chat with a stranger, was wrecked after a long day, no sleep, hadnt eaten and was quite happy chilling out with my book. Politely responded to her then went back to my book but she wouldnt stop, had to spend 3 hours making awkward small talk and pretending to care about her husband, adult son and her dog.

Another time this happened on a train, while I was doing college work on my laptop a stag comes in, sat beside me in the remaining 3 seats, kept trying to make conversation throughout the journey, then started making awkward jokes about how one of the lads was into me, I just awkwardly laughed and went back to what I was doing, this lad started going on about how he wasnt interested and has a girlfriend - like he thought I was taking it seriously and wanted a date or something. Ive never been so uncomfortable in my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There's a Ranting and Raving forum?

No. Just an in-joke among long-time boardsies. It gets mentioned here from time to time in the same way that teenage labourers get sent for sky hooks and long stands.

Sorry to be a party-pooper but I'm a serious person with a low tolerance for whimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tuff Gong wrote: »
    No, that would be w**ker!

Anyhoo, I'm so happy I don't have to use public transport, and never give up your seat for an elderly person...
    The last time I did that, I lost my job as a bus driver.

I was demanded to find a woman a seat by an man that got on with her....
    The bus was packed, he states I must get her a seat.... I'd never had this request before and actually thought it was a joke but no deadly serious....

Exactly that I said sure yeah here is one as I opened the door of the cab and asked them to move aside...

What absolute fcuking loons are actually out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Elysium1 wrote: »

Jerks! Lol

Well actually, you need 1000 posts to see "downvotes" and 5000 to give "downvotes". And they're not called "upvotes" and "downvotes" - they're called "thanks" and "skidmark" respectively.

This isn't reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No. Just an in-joke among long-time boardsies. It gets mentioned here from time to time in the same way that teenage labourers get sent for sky hooks and long stands.

Sorry to be a party-pooper but I'm a serious person with a low tolerance for whimsy.

There is though, but only the elite like me have Access....

You actually have to request access.

Genuinely there is one I'm on it...

• Advertisement

Nothing irritates me more than the bag on the seat. So rude.
    Makes me want to sit there even if every other seat is empty.

And you're entitled to do that. People tend not to though. Bag on seat almost guarantees the seat stays empty for longer if not for the whole journey. Anyone who wants to sit there can do so. So its win win all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Idiots sitting down on clearly pre booked seats on irish rail is a pet hate of mine!!

And then the awkward re-shuffle when you ask somebody to move.... "ugh sorry I didn't know it was booked",,,,,,, sure bud :)

Most every other non commuter rail journey I've done had a reserved seat on the ticket.
    Train full? Tough luck, get the next one. You know, like buses or planes.

How on earth can we not do this? Ah sure we can't do it because technology or we can't be confusing the poor aul ftp people, god love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Canyon86 wrote: »

They may have sat there before the names came up (or changed) which happens all the time on my route. Also, a lot of people who book seats sit elsewhere (don't know why).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Jerk?

Am I on reddit?

Douche bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

On the DART this morning this guy got out of his seat, went over and stood right by the door - blocking it in the process - despite the fact he didn't even get out at the next stop, it was the one after that. Absolutely bizarre, his seat was about 2 metres from the door, with no traffic in his way. Do these people actually think the train doors are going to open for 2 seconds and then go and leave without them? The amount of times I see this is extraordinary

Similarly if I'm getting a train at an off-peak time and the carriage is virtually empty, I've had people actually pushing past me to run on when the train pulls up. There are dozens of free seats to choose from, people can be very strange

the obvious ones of people failing to move down the DART when it is crowded, why does everyone have to migrate as near as possible to the doors. As others have pointed out they wouldn't get away with that nonsense on the Tube in London

teenagers too on Dublin buses who are too 'cool' to go and sit down beside a stranger so proceed to blocking either the stairs or the way out. Uggh. there was one on the bus yesterday who was offered different seats multiple times yet wouldn't take it despite the fact she was standing in an extremely awkward place for people getting on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If there is no two seats available I will seek out a person with their bags next to them.

Ush1 wrote: »
    If there is no two seats available I will seek out a person with their bags next to them.

If you can't have what you want, make sure someone else can't have what they want. As you're entitled to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ush1 wrote: »

Nice one ☝️ personally if I see someone with their bag on the seat beside them I avoid them because I know they’re an ignorant as&hole and would prefer to sit beside someone normal but fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I don’t see any problem with having a drink on a train provided that it’s not just a dart or something.

• Advertisement

Most every other non commuter rail journey I've done had a reserved seat on the ticket.
    Train full? Tough luck, get the next one. You know, like buses or planes.

I have never experienced it with planes. No ticket? There's no getting past the boarding gate! And if someone on the plane is in your allocated seat, they move willingly when asked or are moved by staff. There is a big difference between planes and busses/trains regarding seat bookings.

I honestly don't get the sanctimonious attitude in this post and IMO is an attitude public transport could do without, to be honest!!

I have had issues when it comes to people not being unable to comprehend that the seat they are in has been booked & paid for. Iv had two cases where both people had the same attitude on long journeys from Connolly station to outside of Dublin, they both wouldn't move but were heavily berated by my self without any sort of hostility from myself, I persistently annoyed them both accompanied by people on the train who have booked seats before and had the same sh*t (was nice to see). Both people were sanctimonious and p*g ignorant as each other. They were the type of people that would be aggravated if a person skipped them in any sort of queue or if somebody took their parking space etc People that would not take being told: "Tough luck, get the next one". Both got off at commuter towns in Dublin, within 6/7 stops. Insufferable gobsh*tes.

If it hasn't already happened, I wouldn't be surprised if someone loses it on the way home after a rough day at work and drags some smart arse out of the seat. I wouldn't blame him.

Advertisement